Author Topic: Running. Yay or nay?  (Read 3647 times)

gollum mcjinglemeballs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Running. Yay or nay?
« on: January 29, 2018, 12:31:26 PM »
Anyone else here a runner? I've been wanting to get in better shape/ improve my stamina and have thought about maybe going for a jog every morning. I keep hearing different things on weather running is good or bad for your knees. I just turned 38 so I don't have that much life left in my knees so I don't want do anything that might make them worse.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
Re: Running. Yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 01:02:36 PM »
Running is great, as long as you get decent shoes, have proper technique and stretch thoroughly you should be fine, also having a nice soft track or dirt trail can make all the difference. I used to despise running but grew to really enjoy it. After I start getting over the initial post running soreness at the beginning I never felt better on my board balance  and pop wise.

shark tits

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 01:10:07 PM »
during winter i do a mile loop most days. i just leave my house and there's a park a half mile away so i don't do a track or anything. i've been running on my toes lately, i think because of air pockets in shoes, we've devolved to running on our heels and shit instead of our ball of foot and it's jarring on the spine. the knees? idk, i don't spose it is as bad as jumping down stairs or whatever.
it's like placebo skating. do it if you can't skate or you're comin of cigs and it's great. i wouldn't bother w/ it during good weather though.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 01:16:26 PM »
can't anymore, but used to love it. all my remaining cartilage is belong to skate

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 01:21:17 PM »
start slowly, don't run to complete exhaustion. stretch afterwards. If it hurts stop. You should be fine.

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 01:23:48 PM »
Running (especially on concrete) fucked my shit up (I was only using free runs though). Get a bike and start cycling. Find a park with some monkey bars do some body weight workouts there if your up to it.

From my experience skating and running to do not mix well at all. Also if your really keen on losing weight don’t consume any animal products, besides maybe coconut, saturated fats are hard to find in plant based foods.

gollum mcjinglemeballs

• Rep: -4
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 03:30:16 PM »
Running (especially on concrete) fucked my shit up (I was only using free runs though). Get a bike and start cycling. Find a park with some monkey bars do some body weight workouts there if your up to it.

From my experience skating and running to do not mix well at all. Also if your really keen on losing weight don’t consume any animal products, besides maybe coconut, saturated fats are hard to find in plant based foods.

I do bike to work and my studio fairly often, but not enough to where it really matters. I live in Oakland and if you've ever been here the roads are absolute shit. But yeah cycling is way better on the knees.

Ben De Gros

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 10:55:11 PM »
can't anymore, but used to love it. all my remaining cartilage is belong to skate
I'm in the same boat. There is only room for one high impact activity in my life.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 07:53:39 AM »
Running in the military destroyed my knees more than skateboarding ever could.  I leave running to those being chased by something.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 08:00:04 AM »
always figured the knee thing is just what fat and lazy people say to give an excuse for why they "can't" run.

i was running daily for a few years and it was more hip pain for me that was easy to get around with some stretching. my wife and i got to the point that we did a half marathon at like 10.45 pace which seemed alright and was definitely a rewarding thing. we've moved onto biking because it easy to burn the same calories and just is way less of a mental struggle than jogging is.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 10:26:35 PM »
I found myself becoming injured more from running than from skateboarding. I switched to riding a bike, but I have to do it way more than running to get the same workout.

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 08:21:36 AM »
I found myself becoming injured more from running than from skateboarding. I switched to riding a bike, but I have to do it way more than running to get the same workout.
I know it's not as easy to find a place to do it, but lap swimming is a great alternative to running because it's a good aerobic full-body workout with much less impact on joints etcs.
(Cool Trick GIF)

taluk

• Rep: -31
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 02:31:06 PM »
I usually skate goofy and my right leg had its hamstring atrophee, combined with sitting at work all day caused knee injury.  Rested for 2 years, didn't improve, went to doctor, he said i needed to start moving to stimulate the hamstring. 

Started slowly hiking, then running 10 min day, trying to strengthen my hamstring, i think its helping.

What i learned, with my particular injury was caused because the supporting muscles around the knee where imbalanced and running/strength training is helping so far.

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 08:06:00 PM »
fuck, I can't imagine running.
Although I hope if anyone does they run in jeans... & just normal skate gear.

shark tits

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 08:33:22 PM »
i did last yr when i was first building my lungs up. now i usually wake up in sweatpants, throw on a vest like my hero jim gagne and get it in. sometimes a cardigan like sweet lou. i found some lens-less glasses today on my route and threw them on.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 12:07:11 AM »

That'd be tight. I used to go cross country skiing in jeans all the time. People really look at you like what the fuck are you doing. I kinda wish I would have smoked so I could have lit one up in the parking lot post-skiing.

But running's great. I've done it for like 25 years. Running and cross country skiing are the only sports I do. Cross country skiing is like running but smoother and way more relaxing. Especially when you go out in the nature.

Pigeon

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 08:09:10 AM »
Sprinting is better, especially if you work out.

Lobo

• Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 12:03:33 PM »
Sprinting is better, especially if you work out.
This!
And some Fartlek!

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 12:21:43 PM »
Not sure if it's been mentioned in here, but I can't say enough good things about jumping rope. It's a crazy good full-body workout and if you can jump rope at a decent pace for just three minutes straight, you're probably in pretty okay shape. Especially if you can't stand running, like me.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 01:28:10 PM »
  Keep your knees for skating.  Runners use up their knees for running cause that's what they love.  You can do cardio with out running.   Pole walking obviously is kooky but a rad workout.  The gym has machines that are like running but with out the impact. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 06:44:57 PM »
Not sure if it's been mentioned in here, but I can't say enough good things about jumping rope. It's a crazy good full-body workout and if you can jump rope at a decent pace for just three minutes straight, you're probably in pretty okay shape. Especially if you can't stand running, like me.
2nd this I used to carry a speed rope with me to sessions and jump as a warm up (somewhere away from the spot or park so I didn't feel so kooky) and it always got my legs ready to go.

coupedepill

• Rep: 21
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 08:31:19 PM »
I started running a few years ago. At first it's a struggle to get out and do it but after a while it becomes enjoyable. It will eventually get to a point where you kind of need it. I've had some injuries from it, I think caused by my shoes, but nothing too bad. I think the biggest benefits are mental health, it's really calming and I've never once regretted going for a run. I usually skate pretty well after I've gone for a run also.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 03:44:43 AM »
I started running a few years ago. At first it's a struggle to get out and do it but after a while it becomes enjoyable. It will eventually get to a point where you kind of need it. I've had some injuries from it, I think caused by my shoes, but nothing too bad. I think the biggest benefits are mental health, it's really calming and I've never once regretted going for a run. I usually skate pretty well after I've gone for a run also.

I agree with everything here. Except that when I don't run that often, like say once a week, I get super-stiff legs from running. I have to plan my running so that it won't be the day before I skate or it'll ruin my session. When I run and skate more often, it doesn't matter.

dstrytruitt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 01:37:56 PM »
Lift weights, eat better, don't drink, skate a lot. Running is cool but it's just not the best or most efficient workout.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 08:05:20 PM »
I run once a week when the weather is nice. I run about 6 miles total at about 8:30 per mile. I'm 34 and haven't noticed any negative effects on my knees. Hips and hammie's though. Strrreeeeettttchhhh. Just don't over do it. Make sure you are getting your pull-ups and push ups in.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 10:41:33 PM »
It's easy to do, accessible, cheap, and super good cardio....as long as it doesn't beat you up.

I don't have cable and really like podcasts so I don't even mind running on a treadmill. 

As you get older you gotta cross train a bit.....I get how just joining a gym is fucked for a lot of people so running is a good option....

Man even gong for a 45 minute walk a day is helpful....

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2018, 09:03:40 AM »
I used to love running, but I lived in a great neighborhood for it... I think that's the trick for me. A good run was dependent on my environment. There was a big hill that I liked running up and down and then like 3km of flat at the end. I never found that "good running neighborhood" situation since I moved out of that apartment.

I've been cycling lately. It's easier on my knees but it's fucking expensive. I just bought new pedals and shoes and it cost a fortune. Running is cheap, that's another benefit.