Author Topic: Snowboarding is brutal  (Read 10316 times)

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Snowboarding is brutal
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2018, 01:50:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Skateboarding will always be my first love.
But Snowboarding is super fun.  There is nothing else that compares to going fast and jumping in deep powder. Also being out in the mountains and the backcountry, is an awesome and humbling experience every time.  I live somewhere it snows 4-5 months a year and there is no indoor skatepark. So winter skating is not really an option. Most of the people I snowboard and snowmobile with are not rich trust fund kids they all work hard to be able to afford these activities.

Most snowboarders could care less about the olympics, competing and the ex games.
[close]

Truth ^

Doing FS Boardslides through a 15m down flat down is so unachievable on a Skateboard, but way in reach on a Snowboard and the feeling is fucking awesome.

Also: Powder.

Finally, Surfing is our grandfather activity and I guarantee a tonne of us will end up logging or burning around on 7ft Fish's & twin fins once we get older. Especially with the advent of Kelly's Wave Pool.
[close]

Yup, surfing is my plan for when I get to that "almost going to die, but can still do shit" age. I hate water though, so that's gonna be an issue.
  Hate to be the guy to tell you but that's not the way with surfing.  Skating is the 'do it when I'm older' thing.  I'm  not saying there isn't old dudes in the line up but they stuck to it\have wave and current knowledge and their STILL on massive old dude equipment (not all but 95%).  There is NO ESCAPE for any muscle you have in surfing (keep in mind your not standing up most of the time your navigating current on your stomach).  You need them all.  Your gonna cramp up like a motherfucker if your not tip top.  Surfing is a bitch and it will kick your ass.  You should do it tho(now).  I say the more skaters the better prolly.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:55:29 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2018, 02:00:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Skateboarding will always be my first love.
But Snowboarding is super fun.  There is nothing else that compares to going fast and jumping in deep powder. Also being out in the mountains and the backcountry, is an awesome and humbling experience every time.  I live somewhere it snows 4-5 months a year and there is no indoor skatepark. So winter skating is not really an option. Most of the people I snowboard and snowmobile with are not rich trust fund kids they all work hard to be able to afford these activities.

Most snowboarders could care less about the olympics, competing and the ex games.
[close]

Truth ^

Doing FS Boardslides through a 15m down flat down is so unachievable on a Skateboard, but way in reach on a Snowboard and the feeling is fucking awesome.

Also: Powder.

Finally, Surfing is our grandfather activity and I guarantee a tonne of us will end up logging or burning around on 7ft Fish's & twin fins once we get older. Especially with the advent of Kelly's Wave Pool.
[close]

Yup, surfing is my plan for when I get to that "almost going to die, but can still do shit" age. I hate water though, so that's gonna be an issue.
[close]
  Hate to be the guy to tell you but that's not the way with surfing.  Skating is the 'do it when I'm older' thing.  I'm  not saying there isn't old dudes in the line up but they stuck to it\have wave and current knowledge and their STILL on massive old dude equipment (not all but 95%).  There is NO ESCAPE for any muscle you have in surfing (keep in mind your not standing up most of the time your navigating current on your stomach).  You need them all.  Your gonna cramp up like a motherfucker if your not tip top.  Surfing is a bitch and it will kick your ass.  You should do it tho(now).  I say the more skaters the better prolly.

Yup, surfing really isn't my bag, I can't even swim good! Maybe I'll just forget about it all and skate.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2018, 02:07:59 PM »
You don't need to know how to swim at all if you make sure you've got a good leash and stay out of larger surf that might break the leash.    Just sayin.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:09:55 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2018, 04:46:58 PM »
The actually act of snowboarding is pretty fun but everything else is really really lame. It's kind of like buy yourself an 'alternative' lifestyle. Bunch of lame white people in shitty clothes throwing up gang signs in photos.

At least with skating and surfing it is pretty difficult so anyone out there doing it has put a bit time into it and has your respect for that at least. Snowboarding you can show up on your first day and get down the hill fine. The other thing is it ain't that fun unless you have really good snow. On icy pistes it is shite, I'd actually rather ski in anything but powder.

Agree 100%, except for the skiing part.  ;D.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2018, 10:43:58 PM »
Oh yeah... What's the deal with so many people (in US) not knowing how to swim? How do you miss that?

I'm Eurotrash, please explain.

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2018, 05:49:02 AM »
you're able to ride a snowboard perfectly fine without having on shitty clothes or throwing gang signs. you know who's also lame? people in general. i can still do some things people do

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2018, 05:50:07 AM »
Oh yeah... What's the deal with so many people (in US) not knowing how to swim? How do you miss that?

this is just a guess, but i would GUESS the reason could be a lack of places with enough water to swim in. could be off tho

SOTY

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2018, 05:54:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this is just a guess, but i would GUESS the reason could be a lack of places with enough water to swim in. could be off tho
I'm pretty sure it's just bad parenting. Plenty of coastline, lakes and pools to swim in. I think?

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2018, 06:00:53 AM »
could be the lakes etc are poluted as fuck over there? i was being sarcastic with the last post, but i have no clue why either

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2018, 06:24:08 AM »
The actually act of snowboarding is pretty fun but everything else is really really lame. It's kind of like buy yourself an 'alternative' lifestyle. Bunch of lame white people in shitty clothes throwing up gang signs in photos.

At least with skating and surfing it is pretty difficult so anyone out there doing it has put a bit time into it and has your respect for that at least. Snowboarding you can show up on your first day and get down the hill fine. The other thing is it ain't that fun unless you have really good snow. On icy pistes it is shite, I'd actually rather ski in anything but powder.

The last 2 times I went to a mountain I brought out my 25 year old (no sidecut) skis from high school because I was like "fuck sitting down and strapping my foot in 50 times". It was fun.

MeanestCleanestPenis

• Rep: 40
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2018, 09:18:21 AM »
Yeah it is, I started skiing really young so I was always able to do to it at a decent level and snowboarding came relatively easy too because of skating. Obviously not all snowboarders are assholes but it definitely seems lots of them are trying to affect an image whereas most skiers are doing it because they love it. I've seen it framed like the skating vs roller blading thing but the difference is nearly all the hills were built originally for skiers like skateparks were for skaters. The beef doesn't really exist anymore anyway.

Another reason I got put off is that tow bars are a pain and the hill I was at for a few years had massive flat areas too so you always had to unclip and push with the snowboard. I have gear for both and will definitely do both again in the future however a lot of the time it is all such a hassle I wish I'd just gone skating.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2018, 09:26:55 AM »

I don't know how to explain it, I just hate water and don't like going near it, drinking it, bathing in it, etc.. I'll cook with it if I have to.

SOTY

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2018, 10:03:45 AM »
I don't know how to explain it, I just hate water and don't like going near it, drinking it, bathing in it, etc.. I'll cook with it if I have to.
Are you saying you hate half of your own body?

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2018, 10:09:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pretty much, when I look into my own eyes, all I see are little pools of annoying liquid. I'd rather live as a mineral.

SOTY

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2018, 10:12:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Pretty much, when I look into my own eyes, all I see are little pools of annoying liquid. I'd rather live as a mineral.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKlSVNxLB-A

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2018, 10:38:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

compromise >

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2018, 11:23:14 AM »
Snowboarding is fun.  Plus Cardiel had a pro model and there used to be a snow section in Thrasher (cold snap?).  Like that one guy said, there's a world of difference between going up for a weekend, having a good time sliding down a mountain, and whatever monster sponsored mega pipe events.

I still have alpha numeric clothes in storage (old skate/snow company from late 90's early 00's)

A lot of my old homies quit skating to snowboard, I went with them once or twice, but I realized I could achieve the same feeling from hill bombs I stopped going to the snow. 

Still have my old snowboard and boots, and luckly the bay area is only 3hrs away from snow, but lack of rain/snow fall has reduced wanting to go.  I dig it every now and then but for the most part deter it for skating

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2018, 05:14:01 PM »
  For me quitting snowboarding was a release.  There's so much build up before a pow day for something that isn't better than skating.  The fucking laces on the boots hurting my fingers every morning and then finding your pass?  I said fuck it and just put that energy into skating which paid off for me personally.  You snowboard to feel like a rock star flying off cliffs and cat tracks sending it but there's more reward in a good flat ground kick flip.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:17:16 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2018, 11:09:38 PM »
Lot of great arguments here but.......have you been to a skatepark lately? 

bawtawd5

• Rep: 134
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2018, 11:26:02 PM »
I think it might be funner that skating. I haven't done it since I was a kid though. We usta just go down hills with the Walmart ones with just a rubber loop for the bindings. Buildin jumps n shit. Funnier than sledding, and sledding is pretty fun.

I like skateboard culture a lot better though.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2018, 03:07:12 AM »
Lot of great arguments here but.......have you been to a skatepark lately?

No. I stick to skating this empty school, pretending I'm PJ or something.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2018, 03:22:51 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4seSMPXtwZ0
Snowboard culture from the
golden myspace glory days

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2018, 06:50:01 AM »
Didn't Ben K used to snowboard?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2018, 10:37:46 AM »

im from the US an i dont know a single person over the age of like 5 or 6 who cant swim.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2018, 10:44:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

im from the US an i dont know a single person over the age of like 5 or 6 who cant swim.

I found this.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-11172054

SOTY

« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2018, 04:09:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I found this.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-11172054
JB and his lovely family:

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2018, 09:41:05 AM »
AWAY WHITE DEVILS

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2018, 09:56:10 AM »
I used to snowboard when I was in my teens. I enjoyed it, but I always thought that I would rather be skateboarding. The feeling at night after a long sunny day of snowboarding is really amazing though.

I watched a few recent snowboarding competitions on youtube, after not having been interested in more that ten years. It is crazy how much it has changed since it became a competitive sport. It seems really amazing and somehow really offputting what they are doing these days. It is basicly gymnastics with a board under their feet. I wonder if skating will go along that route once it becomes an olympic sport. I am shure we will start seeing 1080 mac twists in vertramps within the next 10 years.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2018, 10:12:59 AM »
I watched the olympics halfpipe shit last night, honestly that stuff is so boring. But I guess so are most skateboarding competitions too relative to the type of skateboarding I like.

I went to a free snowboard video premiere last month for the first Vans video. It was like the "official" world premiere in Denver because it was the ski and snowboard expo that weekend, complete with all the riders there and Dino Jr. playing a show after. It was actually pretty sick. Got me hyped to snowboard and skate kinda. Not really any lame ballerina spin shit, and a lot of unique street shit.

The one thing I thought was odd is that there were a ton of shots that seemed to be a similar style to Greg Hunt/Propeller even though I'm sure he had nothing to do with it. Also I feel like snowboarders try to appropriate skateboarder culture in what they wear, but hey if they support Lakai while wearing like GNU or whatever snowboard company more power to Lakai.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2018, 10:54:15 PM »
I watched the olympics halfpipe shit last night, honestly that stuff is so boring. But I guess so are most skateboarding competitions too relative to the type of skateboarding I like.

I went to a free snowboard video premiere last month for the first Vans video. It was like the "official" world premiere in Denver because it was the ski and snowboard expo that weekend, complete with all the riders there and Dino Jr. playing a show after. It was actually pretty sick. Got me hyped to snowboard and skate kinda. Not really any lame ballerina spin shit, and a lot of unique street shit.

The one thing I thought was odd is that there were a ton of shots that seemed to be a similar style to Greg Hunt/Propeller even though I'm sure he had nothing to do with it. Also I feel like snowboarders try to appropriate skateboarder culture in what they wear, but hey if they support Lakai while wearing like GNU or whatever snowboard company more power to Lakai.

Yes, but we steal everything that is not nailed down, as well.