Author Topic: Are skateboards meant to be fast?  (Read 4334 times)

renbio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Are skateboards meant to be fast?
« on: February 04, 2018, 04:50:16 PM »
I'm a new skater, I've been having trouble with my skateboard wheels and bearings. I have Spitfire Hypnoswirl wheels: http://scene7.zumiez.com/is/image/zumiez/pdp_hero/Spitfire-Hypno-Swirl-53mm-Skateboard-Wheels-_241086-front-US.jpg and Spitfire Cheapshot Bearings: http://scene7.zumiez.com/is/image/zumiez/product_catalog/Spitfire-Cheapshot-Skateboard-Bearings-_174294.jpg .
They're both brand new. The wheels are 53mm and 99 durometer. It's exhausting to push around on asphalt and on cracked sidewalks. I got a skateboard to do tricks and not to cruise, but at the same time I want my board to be fast on all surfaces. Can this be achieved or does it have to be slow for tricks? If it can be fast and do tricks at the same time, what wheels and bearings do I need? Is my build fine? Please help out.

Blackholebacon

• Rep: -7
Re: Are skateboards meant to be fast?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 07:42:11 AM »
try loosening the nuts on the axle of your trucks, the ones that hold the wheels on, they should roll fine with a little wiggle room.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 10:22:53 PM »
Since skateboard wheels are solid and rather inflexible, vibrations in the road are transferred to the cells in your body and you become fatigued.

53mm 99a wheels are meant for smooth pavement and not much else. You can bump the size up a little (56-58mm), but you'd also have to add a small riser pad. You could also switch to a softer durometer.

MalHuis

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 05:32:01 AM »
try loosening the nuts on the axle of your trucks, the ones that hold the wheels on, they should roll fine with a little wiggle room.

With skill comes speed. You'll learn how to get and keep speed using the slightest momentum.

Nothing wrong with your setup bro.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 06:43:21 AM »
skateboards are meant to be loud.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 06:59:56 AM »
it takes a while build up the pushing stamina and strength, if your wheels spin well when you spin them with your hand then it's just a matter of building up your push perhaps, that being said pushing fast cruising somewhere for a decent distance is pretty tiring on 53s and under either way. I think the general consensus for street skating is that tricks should be done fast and usually the faster the better

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 02:17:10 PM »
Fast wheels for shitty pavement are generally big (>56mm) and soft so they can conform more to the rough surface (<85a).

Wheels for doing tricks are generally small (<54mm) and hard so they can slide and be fast on smooth surfaces (>98a).

Wheels that are in between are generally half-assed at both.   Mini Logo makes some 90a wheels in 53, 55 and 56 that may be what you are looking for.

https://www.tactics.com/mini-logo/hybrid-a-cut-skateboard-wheels/green-90a

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 04:32:08 PM »
Fast wheels for shitty pavement are generally big (>56mm) and soft so they can conform more to the rough surface (<85a).

Wheels for doing tricks are generally small (<54mm) and hard so they can slide and be fast on smooth surfaces (>98a).

Wheels that are in between are generally half-assed at both.   Mini Logo makes some 90a wheels in 53, 55 and 56 that may be what you are looking for.

This is true but not to useful imo.   Large (56 up)wheels you don't want soft cause the wheel bite will be insane.   You can get soft wheels that are 53 and 54 (bones "kid" wheels,  spitfire 'Chargers', OJ "keyframe" or ricta "clouds")  Do that, or get super hard 58s or 60s.  Hard wheels don't wheelbite as bad.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 09:46:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
   This is true but not to useful imo.   Large (56 up)wheels you don't want soft cause the wheel bite will be insane.   You can get soft wheels that are 53 and 54 (bones "kid" wheels,  spitfire 'Chargers', OJ "keyframe" or ricta "clouds")  Do that, or get super hard 58s or 60s.  Hard wheels don't wheelbite as bad.

Or OP can switch from 99a to 101a, practicing pushing on cobblestone, and man up!

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 05:39:30 AM »
That would work too.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 02:28:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Or OP can switch from 99a to 101a, practicing pushing on cobblestone, and man up!
or he could just fuck off until he has some shit to talk on the wheels thread, what the fuck is up with you guys welcoming this influx off shoobies? Fucking lame-os
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

curbsmash

• Rep: 0
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 03:46:59 PM »
practice is the obvious/right answer but you could also get some 62mm+ wheels and you'll go nice and fast. 96-99a is will still go plenty fast at that size and you'll roll over cracks and shit a lot easier.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 07:24:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
or he could just fuck off until he has some shit to talk on the wheels thread, what the fuck is up with you guys welcoming this influx off shoobies? Fucking lame-os
   ^this shit makes no sense.  Everybody who responded knew the OP is simply a novice, no more no less.  Just leave the thread alone then cock

D.O.T. DIY

• Rep: -45
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 02:36:49 AM »

[/quote]

This is useless and wrong. Bigger wheels(56’s +) have a tendency to wheel bite more than wheels smaller than 56mm unless you have a set of riser pads. The hardness of the duro doesn’t matter for wheel bite, only the size. I ride a set of 60mm 85a and a set of 55 101a, they both wheel bite, more so the larger ones. More wheel bite=bigger wheels

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 08:18:36 PM »
Obviously bigger wheels will wheelbite more, but wheelbite is worse with softer wheels. When hard wheels bite it sometimes just slows you way down, vs a softer wheel straight up stopping and pitching you.
SPB!

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 08:33:11 PM »
Obviously bigger wheels will wheelbite more, but wheelbite is worse with softer wheels. When hard wheels bite it sometimes just slows you way down, vs a softer wheel straight up stopping and pitching you.
   Yeah, way worse!!   Check out Rune Gliffberg he rides 60mm no risers.  But they're 103 a prolly so hes good.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 08:39:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
   Yeah, way worse!!   Check out Rune Gliffberg he rides 60mm no risers.  But they're 103 a prolly so hes good.

I bet his trucks are hella tight too.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 08:45:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I bet his trucks are hella tight too.

Those transitions in the arena he generally competes in are really big so prolly.   I saw him skate in his Boris Becker phase and that was his peak I think.  That's when actually saw and experienced that 'peoples jaws all down' thing in real life.  That was the phys. effect on myself and other  people.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 11:00:39 AM »
skateboards are not meant to be fast, but they are because we're FUCKING RULE BREAKERS

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 11:49:58 AM »
skateboards are not meant to be fast, but they are because we're FUCKING RULE BREAKERS

ILL PUSH DOWN A FUCKING GRAVEL ROAD ON F4 101s!