Author Topic: SOLO: A Star Wars Story  (Read 3469 times)

jomeara1

SOLO: A Star Wars Story
« on: February 05, 2018, 08:49:44 AM »

Not sure how I feel about this yet.  Disney even expects it to bomb but me being a Star Wars fan I'll probably go see it anyway. 

Robert Baratheon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
Re: SOLO: A Star Wars Story
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 10:47:59 AM »
The trailer looks cool. I didn't think this would peak my interest but they have hooked me again. Could be a pile of shit tho.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 10:52:30 AM »
This is like writing an autobiography that starts in late 2016

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »
I feel like I should be going but I just cannot...

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 11:04:23 AM »
The casting looks like shit in this, all the way around. The lead guy is a decent actor but he looks like a smarmy twerp as Solo.

ungzilla

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 12:59:16 PM »
but solo was a smarmy twerp

thanks for reminding me those two words exist

Olly North

• Rep: -2
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 01:25:23 PM »
If this isn't the story of the 12 parsec Kessel run, they fucking blew it.
"I came here to tell you the truth, the good, the bad and the ugly."

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 04:12:25 PM »
Apparently the Kessel Run partly a metal as fuck Star Destroyer and some Lovecraftian horrors, so...yeah man, let's suit up.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 06:55:15 PM »
Is it true they had Carrie Fisher film all her scenes for this anticipatorily in 1971?

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2192
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 07:04:20 PM »
I'd watch just to hear chewbacca,but I think they spilled all his lines. Definitely a movie for the diehards to get hyped up on.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 07:54:32 PM »
If this isn't the story of the 12 parsec Kessel run, they fucking blew it.

Probably will happen towards the end or climax
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

sododgy

• Rep: 8
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 02:41:40 AM »
The casting looks like shit in this, all the way around. The lead guy is a decent actor but he looks like a smarmy twerp as Solo.

Donald Glover as Lando is a dope casting.

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 02:51:46 AM »
i'll be sure to have really low expectations going in, maybe it won't be so bad. as far as the other disney sw movies go, i really liked force awakens, kinda hated rogue one and the last jedi was just okay.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 04:39:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've never seen Donald Glover in anything and not thought "hey, there's Donald Glover doing Donald Glover." He disappears into the role about as well as Aziz Ansari.

I also think it's weird that these characters don't seem to reach their full height until their mid 30s.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 05:07:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've never seen Donald Glover in anything and not thought "hey, there's Donald Glover doing Donald Glover." He disappears into the role about as well as Aziz Ansari.

I also think it's weird that these characters don't seem to reach their full height until their mid 30s.
Do you also think it's weird that real humans don't reach their full height until their mid 30s?

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 05:47:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Do you also think it's weird that real humans don't reach their full height until their mid 30s?

I do.

What time period are they trying to show us? 4 hours before A New Hope starts? I'm familiar with 33 year old Han Solo but who is this mysterious 29 year old Han Solo?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 08:47:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I find it weird that you think a typical real human will grow in height in any meaningful way between their mid 20s and mid 30s but if Alden Ehrenreich puts on 4" in the next 5 years I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

my pregnant head

• Rep: 13
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 09:48:06 AM »
Granted, we only got to hear a snippet...

But I can't believe John Williams went that way with the score. Running the Star Wars theme through a Hans Zimmer BWOOMMMMMMMMMM filter is a sin.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 10:10:43 AM »
I just pray it doesnt have a million attempts at comedy relief like the last movie did.

jomeara1

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 02:28:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I do.

What time period are they trying to show us? 4 hours before A New Hope starts? I'm familiar with 33 year old Han Solo but who is this mysterious 29 year old Han Solo?

Right? lol. That was exactly my first thought when I heard that they were making a prequel about a young han solo.

jomeara1

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 02:34:03 PM »
I just pray it doesnt have a million attempts at comedy relief like the last movie did.

Its ok to have SOME comic relief in Star Wars but it has to be done at the right moment.  I agree about The Last Jedi though.  As soon as Luke tossed the lightsaber over his shoulder and walked away I felt like doing the same thing with my popcorn.

S.E.

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 04:10:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Its ok to have SOME comic relief in Star Wars but it has to be done at the right moment.  I agree about The Last Jedi though.  As soon as Luke tossed the lightsaber over his shoulder and walked away I felt like doing the same thing with my popcorn.

im sure everyone thought the same when Luke went to Dagobah and met with a jedi master who was a tiny green crazy alien with ear hair  ::)....gimme a break.

S.E.

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 04:15:13 PM »
ANYone who wants to bitch about the humor in the last jedi go watch the fucking OT

feedmeseymour

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 07:13:30 PM »
ANYone who wants to bitch about the humor in the last jedi go watch the fucking OT
yeah i dont remember luke drinking milk from the teet of some creature in the ot

sododgy

• Rep: 8
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 12:56:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I get what you're saying. In all fitness though, I don't think he's been given the opportunity to show much range beyond Troy outside of parts small enough to be forgettable (SpiderMan and The Martian were at least small variations from the norm). Atlanta is at a great subdued change for him.

I'm an admitted fan, but I genuinely think he'll be the best part of an underwhelming film.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 06:04:48 PM »
Granted, we only got to hear a snippet...

But I can't believe John Williams went that way with the score. Running the Star Wars theme through a Hans Zimmer BWOOMMMMMMMMMM filter is a sin.

Williams isn’t doing the score for this one.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 04:15:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought this was perfect casting.

jomeara1

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2018, 05:28:16 PM »
Just saw it. I didn’t love it or hate it, but it was ok. It was just what I expected really, a movie we didn’t need but got anyway. Most of the characters were boring and unconvincing to the point that you didn’t really care what happened to them, although I thought Glover did a decent job playing Lando.  Plot was mediocre at best, but the action scenes were very good. It seemed a lot more ‘aggressive’ than your typical Star Wars movies.  Also getting a little tired of these C3P0 clones. Droids that have these “attitudes” to them. It gets old and annoying after a while. The Chewy Han relationship felt real and convincing though which is probably the most important thing to not fuck up in a Han Solo movie. I’ll give it a 6/10.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:37:47 PM by Johnny »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 04:59:17 AM »
Saw it with super low expectations and didn't hate it. Never did Get sold on the idea that Alden Erenreich was ever going to become THE Han Solo but he was passable. Glover did a straight up Billy Dee impersonation and was likable- I was wrong there.

Pacing was a bit weird - kind of just chase/talk/chase/talk with no real crescendo. 3rd action sequence was probably as good or better than the last.

Color palettes were rather flat during a lot of the action which made certain sequences look muddled.

Some of the "reveals" felt bogus.

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 06:59:34 PM »
With the last reveal, their shinanigans felt like a minor Clone Wars event that didn’t warrant a Clone Wars episode.

Wish Glover would have done a credits song
“This is Correlia, troops in my area”