Author Topic: Dill 9 Club  (Read 7270 times)

dstrytruitt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 100
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Dill 9 Club
« on: February 05, 2018, 01:24:19 PM »

alonelikeastone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
Re: Dill 9 Club
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 01:33:10 PM »
When he says another company bites his shit ... is that Real? It’s seems they bite everything FA does from full size shapes to graphic embossing. Although, I don’t know, real does not use PS & I forget what other shop FA uses.
What you guys think? I’m actually going to break my code and come back & read a thread I posted on.

Great interview ... I was pleasantly surprised to see Pickle in there this morning.

bigjosiedog

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 03:58:24 PM »
Around 1:56:30, he talks about how some board company prevented FA from putting out holographic boards sooner.  Any thoughts on which board company it was???

jc

• Rep: -73
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 09:08:50 PM »
Around 1:56:30, he talks about how some board company prevented FA from putting out holographic boards sooner.  Any thoughts on which board company it was???

seems like he was calling out the woodshop itself.

electromagnetic radiation

• Rep: -1
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 08:13:29 AM »
When he says another company bites his shit ... is that Real? It’s seems they bite everything FA does from full size shapes to graphic embossing. Although, I don’t know, real does not use PS & I forget what other shop FA uses.
What you guys think? I’m actually going to break my code and come back & read a thread I posted on.

Great interview ... I was pleasantly surprised to see Pickle in there this morning.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about wknd

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 08:39:59 AM »
real, primitive, FA all got embossed decks around the same time. new technology comes out and the woodshops start offering it to the brands that wanna use it. one brand might have been first to use it but the others arent biting that brand they are just trying new special features the woodshop offers. it was the same when split stains came out.

FA wknd and Quasi use the same mold, have the same concave, wheelbase, and big wide nose.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 10:24:43 AM »
real, primitive, FA all got embossed decks around the same time. new technology comes out and the woodshops start offering it to the brands that wanna use it. one brand might have been first to use it but the others arent biting that brand they are just trying new special features the woodshop offers. it was the same when split stains came out.

FA wknd and Quasi use the same mold, have the same concave, wheelbase, and big wide nose.

Except embossed decks and split veneers are nothing new.

alecjahr

• Rep: -108
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 11:32:14 AM »
Not true fa had embossed decks 1st run

ungzilla

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 11:37:40 AM »
no one is saying they didn't

but e.g. alien workshop made embossed decks forever ago (that honeycomb pattern), so they're hardly the first to do it

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 12:10:36 PM »

but e.g. alien workshop made embossed decks forever ago (that honeycomb pattern), so they're hardly the first to do it

Didn't Dill say himself FA is mix of all the things he's experienced?

also, didn't someone else do lenticular decks before in the 90s or 80s?

ratherwatch

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 12:17:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

what a fabulous word. Discreet Google -and-delete incoming.

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 01:19:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

And Popwar did it waaay before workshop did.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

IHOP

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 03:34:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Also those fat nose shapes are based off of old alien boards,  which probably came from something else as well.  Havnt listened yet, I wouldnt say Dill invented anything he is doing but I see where he is coming from in that he started using it again and others caught on, the same way the HUF classic kind of brought back toe caps.  Even the class photo thing is an old chocolate series.

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 04:35:42 PM »
ZERO used to emboss back in the tum yet days.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 04:46:44 PM »
Great interview. Dill really poured his heart out!

Joclo

• Rep: 19
  • Just wiggin out
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 04:52:42 PM »
He's a great father to his children.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 05:18:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
this! and while I said I'm coming around to Dill in another thread he has to get off his high horse about being so "original" and dissing people for "biting his shit". You're biting planet earth circa 1992 and also the whole terminator board idea from Sanchez/ Blind
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 05:22:53 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

hvx1000

• Rep: -4
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 11:39:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm pretty sure he's talking about wknd

Yeah in an interview johan talked about dill hating wknd and saying they were biting. It's hilarious to me because they are opposites. wknd is all about fun and not taking skating super seriously and FA / Hockey is a bunch of art jocks who take everything suuuuuuuper serious
I dunno about Money but the fun is boomin'

bradtheraddad

• Rep: 27
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 03:40:26 AM »
Episode did not disappoint. Dude experienced more from 15-19 than some people do their whole life. Not to say it was positive and/or developmental but being around the talent, spots and witnessing the golden era was what we 90s skaters dreamed of.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 04:29:08 AM »
He's a great father to his children.
Cause there ain't no father to his style. That's why he the Ol' Dilly Bastard

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 06:03:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
this! and while I said I'm coming around to Dill in another thread he has to get off his high horse about being so "original" and dissing people for "biting his shit". You're biting planet earth circa 1992 and also the whole terminator board idea from Sanchez/ Blind
I'm a Dill fan but it irks me when he can so brazenly omit that so many of his "inventions" are homages or just one step above what has already been done. I can't tell if it's a lack of of self awareness or an all consuming self awareness.

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 07:32:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
I'm a Dill fan but it irks me when he can so brazenly omit that so many of his "inventions" are homages or just one step above what has already been done. I can't tell if it's a lack of of self awareness or an all consuming self awareness.

Dill is a character for sure.

He seemed to take being regarded as a modern "Rocco" as a compliment; kind of odd, considering he seems hell-bent on doing things "his way".

Maybe he's just too self absorbed to realize, but either way. These guys have quirks like anyone else, who cares if he's doing it right for the most part. FA/Hockey are killing it.

lou dawg

• Rep: -1
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 02:34:31 PM »
Wow, he's so impressive.

N3V3R3V3N

• Rep: 0
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 07:57:40 PM »
Wow, he's so impressive.
Wow, he’s so impressed with himself.

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 09:40:34 PM »
Also curious which company he was saying constantly rips off FA, I know there are several that do it but you can tell there is one specifically he is taking about. Someone mentioned WKND but I really doubt that. I'm thinking Real, Primitive, or Zero

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 11:02:58 PM »
Also curious which company he was saying constantly rips off FA, I know there are several that do it but you can tell there is one specifically he is taking about. Someone mentioned WKND but I really doubt that. I'm thinking Real, Primitive, or Zero
It's Hockey guys.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 12:17:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It's Hockey guys.

Hahaha

poowizard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 12:40:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It's Hockey guys.

Goal!

bodegaboardercrew

• Rep: 4
    • Bodega Boarder Crew podcast avatar image
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 09:32:19 AM »
This was one of their best episodes. One thing that's dope about Dill is he is never scared to show he's a fanboy deep down. Everybody should watch Tim & Henry's Pack Of Lies at least 100 times in their lifetime.

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 03:43:47 PM »
His thoughts on the Hosoi episode are exactly what everyone was thinking.
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]