Author Topic: finding that perfect shape  (Read 2305 times)

flippy lippy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -23
finding that perfect shape
« on: February 07, 2018, 05:30:59 AM »
For the last while I've been really into big transition skating so I've been riding a Santa Cruz Winkowski pro (one with the cool fuckin colors) with 169s and it feels amazing on walls. It's super boaty and since me and addy tripped mushes and skated the bath ramp ive just felt really connected to the shape and it just works for huckin inverts and back bonelesses and those kinda tricks. My issue is that I've been getting into more standard street kinda stuff and that's really hard to do when your board has no nose and weighs like 40 pounds so I wiggled on over to a polar 8.5 and ive been able to skate gaps and rails and a bunch of more techy stuff but i just feel cramped and uncomfortable on big ramps. i've kinda dug myself into a hole of only being able to skate street or tranny on a given day based on the board i grab in the morning. Gonna try and force myself to get used to a B16 on 8.5 indys and be an everything guy. How long have you guys gone without changing shapes and/or how much difference does a shape make to you at all? How long did you have to hunt to find one that fit you, or are you still looking?

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
Re: finding that perfect shape
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 06:05:34 AM »
Just gotta sync yourself with the new board with some mushes

jc

• Rep: -73
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 06:46:25 AM »
For the last while I've been really into big transition skating so I've been riding a Santa Cruz Winkowski pro (one with the cool fuckin colors) with 169s and it feels amazing on walls. It's super boaty and since me and addy tripped mushes and skated the bath ramp ive just felt really connected to the shape and it just works for huckin inverts and back bonelesses and those kinda tricks. My issue is that I've been getting into more standard street kinda stuff and that's really hard to do when your board has no nose and weighs like 40 pounds so I wiggled on over to a polar 8.5 and ive been able to skate gaps and rails and a bunch of more techy stuff but i just feel cramped and uncomfortable on big ramps. i've kinda dug myself into a hole of only being able to skate street or tranny on a given day based on the board i grab in the morning. Gonna try and force myself to get used to a B16 on 8.5 indys and be an everything guy. How long have you guys gone without changing shapes and/or how much difference does a shape make to you at all? How long did you have to hunt to find one that fit you, or are you still looking?

i've found that the perfect all around shape is welcomes jordan sanchez nibiru shape. it's an 8.75 board that feels like an 8.5 at times, plus it has that sweet 14.75 wheelbase. of course it takes more effort to flip that bitch compared to a 8-8.5 board. i'm 31 so i've gotten to the point that i can skate anything. my two main set-ups right now are a welcome "football" shape with a shorter wheelbase then i normally like and a rick howard girl board for when i think im radical.

flippy lippy

• Rep: -23
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 06:58:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i've found that the perfect all around shape is welcomes jordan sanchez nibiru shape. it's an 8.75 board that feels like an 8.5 at times, plus it has that sweet 14.75 wheelbase. of course it takes more effort to flip that bitch compared to a 8-8.5 board. i'm 31 so i've gotten to the point that i can skate anything. my two main set-ups right now are a welcome "football" shape with a shorter wheelbase then i normally like and a rick howard girl board for when i think im radical.

Man i'd be so stoked if welcome didn't poop itself and nolan's pro board was still around

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 08:55:55 AM »

This.

Or, get used to a smaller ride....keep two setups around (but keep the same trucks/wheels/bearings/grip combos on each).

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 07:39:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This.

Or, get used to a smaller ride....keep two setups around (but keep the same trucks/wheels/bearings/grip combos on each).

I always like keeping a smaller and bigger setup around, my taste in setups changes by the month.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 08:06:12 PM »
I think I’ve realized I like mellow-ish pop and heavy concave around 8”

Still searching. What should I get?

asakusa75

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 09:04:06 PM »
Crail. G009. Girl or Chocolate, doesnt matter.

Little Debbie

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 08:47:29 AM »
there is something so magical about that Baker B16, slightly longer wheelbase, just under 8.5, MELLOW, slightly pointy nose and tail.... it is a perfect skateboard.

Spicy boi.

• Rep: 8
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 03:37:39 PM »
I've been skating the DLXSF 8.4/32/14.25 shape and it feels awesome. I snapped all my boards so i had to skate my warped Cardiel skate shanks in this shape (which Reed replaced, but i didn't have any griptape, cardiel was gripped already) and it feels amazing

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 08:50:25 PM »

welcomes nibiru shape.

The smaller version of this is the perfect mix of Popsicle and Directional

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 08:57:14 AM »
I found it, but it's too big. I've been looking for this exact shape forever, if only in an 8.25/8.5; might have to ask fickle...

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 09:01:08 AM »
i found the perfect shape and then they stopped making it so that wasnt very nice

hey pickle

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 09:06:48 AM »
I think I’ve realized I like mellow-ish pop and heavy concave around 8”

Still searching. What should I get?

scumco deep dish

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 11:09:12 AM »
@xen

this street plant shape looks pretty close.  It's an 8.5 but has a slight taper to 8.25 over the front and rear trucks.

8.5″ x 32.25″
Wheelbase: 14.25″
Nose: 7.125″
Tail: 6.75″

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 11:50:29 AM »
@xen

this street plant shape looks pretty close.  It's an 8.5 but has a slight taper to 8.25 over the front and rear trucks.

8.5″ x 32.25″
Wheelbase: 14.25″
Nose: 7.125″
Tail: 6.75″

It's that specific nose that I HATE, all the potentials look full/fat and square-round-ish in the photos and then you find out they have that narrow taper;  I can tell just by that photo that the nose is not full enough.

Reached out to Fickle and will jump on the phone to talk it through; hikes up the price but man, that shape is so on point (also reached out to Nomad just to see if they are/would be making them in a smaller size).

The powerplant is closer but the tail isn't as square as the nomad + Short WB

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:06:08 PM by Xen »

Not Local

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 01:01:49 PM »
huckin inverts and back bonelesses and those kinda tricks.

Going to have to see some evidence of that shit. Bath vert ramp eh?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 05:51:07 PM »
I want both of those street plant boards!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year