Author Topic: Misconception you had of professional skateboarding that was later clarified  (Read 14968 times)

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
I thought Mike Carroll was nice.

hahaha. Plus one, even though that was naive of you.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

UselessAsshole

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 200
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That the LA picnic tables were normal size.
[close]
[close]

they actually are, just not commonly skated.
[close]

I've seen this discussed on here before and I've always thought it was weird. The small tables are at elementary schools. High schools in LA have adult size picnic tables. Do 6 year olds in other parts of the country all eat at tables that are way too big for them?

In school we just ate at our desks, I don't think we ever really ate outside.

coupedepill

• Rep: 21
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I've seen this discussed on here before and I've always thought it was weird. The small tables are at elementary schools. High schools in LA have adult size picnic tables. Do 6 year olds in other parts of the country all eat at tables that are way too big for them?
[close]

I'm from a place with shit weather so we ate indoors on folding lunch tables. The picnic tables here were as big as a truck.

hvx1000

• Rep: -4
Pretty basic but I thought they actually made money
I dunno about Money but the fun is boomin'

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
I thought that pros would turn up to a demo and actually skate. When I went to an Emerica demo 18 years ago most of the dudes were too shitfaced to wipe their own arse

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -484
When i was a kid i thought every pro could do every trick ever and that's what made them pro. Boy was i wrong.

I was at the park with my buddy who’s been getting back into skating after a few years not skating and he’s doing really well and it’s honestly making me want to get back to my little kid Skate rat days, but he gets so frustrated with consistency with his flat ground and the and older guy I was talking to at the moment just started cracking up with me.

We had to tell him he’s killing it and that even pros ain’t consistent in their tricks. These Skate rats at the park might seem amazing but you don’t realize they skate the same thing and do the same tricks every day. If you can do a few flip tricks just cruising down the street that’s pretty good.

I feel bad skating with him sometimes as I feel like he gets discouraged by me. I don’t do anything extraordinary but I tend to pick spots more biased to my style of skating and will just do go tos while he struggles with stuff and it’s like I struggled too it was just years ago and now I can just do basic stuff at the spot for fun and at a pace I like. He just feels the need to go super hard and he’s learning and progressing super quick just has to see past the media of skating to just skating for himself to have fun without trying to be on par with some insta kid or the local park killers who are there everyday. I’m trying to get him more on the adventuring , experimental side of street skating where you just skate what you find like I had has a kid instead of this park centric picture perfect idea of skating.

I also thought pros were rich or at least well off enough to be able to have an apartment or home and still travel the majority of the time. Also I used to think teams hung out and were friends and then I asked Justin Eldridge a few questions about Antwan Dixon leaving Es when I met him once and was amazed when he said he’d never really talked to him. Even that nine club recently where Eldridge and webbing talked about pops and he said he didn’t really know the dude exemplified the fact that you can be on a team with someone for years , it doesn’t mean you’ll even really know them or Skate with them regularly.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
I thought jim Greco was 4 or 5 different people

Jacob Gary

I thought that pros rode for every board company, and had pro models at whatever companies they wanted.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
Around the time when one my friends first exposed me to skating, they showed me a clip with a guy skating a deck COVERED in volcom stickers. I figured that it was a volcom skateboard. It didn't even cross my undeveloped mind that they could be stickers.

For about a month I thought that all the stickers I'd seen in any footage were custom printed skate graphics.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
It's like the northern lights. Every picture you've seen is a lie, in real life it's kinda faint and it might take a few tries to even see show up.

How far south do you live?

Every time I've seen them they were pretty vivid. In a lot of instances they looked exactly liked the pictures.

jomeara1

I thought I wanted to be just like the pros when I was a kid until I got older and realized a lot of them are just  overgrown children getting frustrated with a wooden toy.   

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm from a place with shit weather so we ate indoors on folding lunch tables. The picnic tables here were as big as a truck.
LA is the only place I've been where the tiny tables are common place. Even where I am in San Diego, the tiny ones are super rare. I know of one school that has them for sure and they're almost always locked down with chains and behind fences. Elementary school kids eat outside on standard high school sized plastic tables and benches.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

coupedepill

I thought Lance Mountain was a place.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2224
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Crazy thing about all this talk of "tiny tables", that was one of my misconceptions. The small ones aren't even that low.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
I remember in a CCS magazine they did mini interviews with Jamie Thomas and Bam, and one of the questions was if there was an "easy" trick they couldn't do. I don't recall Jamie's answer but Bam said he couldn't hardflip, which led to every kid in school who could hardflip believing that they were better at skating than Bam.

I wasn't one of those kids. I still can't hardflip.

urdawg

• Rep: -9
This thread caused me to go back and watch a bunch of schoolyard footage and fuck I'll never be able to not see how small the tables are. That's not to say schoolyard footage isn't sick, and I'll never be able to skate picnic tables myself, but they're just so much smaller than I usually picture them

coupedepill

Can we get an info graphic similar to the biggest gaps one? have it show a cali table, a normal table, and the sizes of hosoi and dills ego.

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 84
The biggest misconception I have had in skateboarding is, when I was a kid I use to think Eric Koston was cool.

OrangeVHStapes

Oh man, now that i'm thinking about it I really liked Berra too... His tentacles of destruction part got me hyped.

JusticeAbberdash

I thought jim Greco was 4 or 5 different people

Greco and Lizard King were mysteries and myths to me back in the day. I heard their names all the time, but couldn't figure out if my friends liked them or thought they were kooks.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
The hills in SF are just as steep if not steeper than you imagined. Would have been reassuring to go there and realize they're mellower than expected, but no. Those gx dudes and all the sf locs are fkn nuts!

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
Expand Quote
It's like the northern lights. Every picture you've seen is a lie, in real life it's kinda faint and it might take a few tries to even see show up.
[close]

How far south do you live?

Every time I've seen them they were pretty vivid. In a lot of instances they looked exactly liked the pictures.

I saw them in iceland. they were definitely visible, but it wasn't a neon looking HDR shot like you see when you google image search them.

I thought Lance Mountain was a place.
this is a good one

shark tits

The hills in SF are just as steep if not steeper than you imagined. Would have been reassuring to go there and realize they're mellower than expected, but no. Those gx dudes and all the sf locs are fkn nuts!
on that note, sf streets especially the aves are rough! no smooth california there. to me the roads and even some sidewalks were 'pop prohibitive' and what i mean is i'd have trouble ollieing driveway gaps or whatever, wonder if i wasn't over the hills [late 20s, early 30s] but then i'd be at golden gate park and i could ollie those green trash cans.
didn't put it together til much later that rough ground grabs your tail.
the LOVE PARK 8 w/ the crack in front, what the crap!?!
that crack made it ill and the ledge of the 3 was tall to get on, no joke!

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
thought lipslides were the same as boardslides. all photos looked like boardslides to me, and i didn't understand the "180 into boardslide" description in trick tips. finally saw one in a video and it clicked.

i used to think danny way was short for danny wainwright.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

Fecal Fury

• Rep: 60
  • 1800-18-18-18
That professional skaters weren't awkward weirdo's in the flesh, and would act the same to random strangers as they do around their friends on footy...

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image

ha! they aren't?

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
That they don't smoke crack

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
As a 11-12 year old, I didn't understand fisheye photography so I thought everyone in Cali had ramps with really curved decks/coping.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
I thought all pros were packing heat then I saw that photo of Dill.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

unsuperfilmer

• Rep: -1
    • I made this shit avatar image
Around the time when one my friends first exposed me to skating, they showed me a clip with a guy skating a deck COVERED in volcom stickers. I figured that it was a volcom skateboard. It didn't even cross my undeveloped mind that they could be stickers.

For about a month I thought that all the stickers I'd seen in any footage were custom printed skate graphics.

I thought the same thing when DC had board size stickers