Author Topic: Misconception you had of professional skateboarding that was later clarified  (Read 14976 times)

Kickflipmcdelux

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -22
  • I'll truck fuck your dad
I thought pros landed their tricks first try.

A non skating friend came to the stay flared demo with me and was like "These guys are professionals? I thought they'd be better." I told him they aren't pro because they can do it first try, they're pro because they can do it period.

It's like the northern lights. Every picture you've seen is a lie, in real life it's kinda faint and it might take a few tries to even see show up.
man ive seen some crazy fucking northern lights while growing up in Edmonton

ciaran

• Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Couldn't even fathom how there was such a thing a pro skater when I first heard of Tony Hawk when i was about 12.

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Eric Koston
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

Vert Reynolds

• Rep: -32
I thought all Teams hung out a lot and lived close to each other....It looked so Fun and I wanted that
Do You even Street Style ???

shark tits

i thought pros did all their tricks in video parts. since tom penny had so much fs flip, kf, sw fs flip, sf kf i was under the impression he couldn't 360 flip.
i thought muska and jamie thomas could not bsts.
i thought most pros were taller like ya'll said but mike york was bigger in real life!

redux

• Rep: -5
I hero-worshipped pretty bad as a kid so I thought they were all really cool, natural, and thoughtful. To put that into context, I was convinced Gator would be a good person to hang around. But, I was 10 back then so I had no way of knowing he was the 80s version of Steve Berra (minus the rape and murder stuff?).

Once I saw DGKALIS rub a rose on a girl's ear and say, "That feels dope, right?"

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!

Once I saw DGKALIS rub a rose on a girl's ear and say, "That feels dope, right?"
Times up

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
I thought Switch skating was a camera trick because I went to the opening of a local park when i was like 10 and some did did a big ol' kickflip over the driveway/ a few days later a picture of that kickflip was in the write up of the event in the local paper, only the dudes stance had changed and the whole park was th other way round, obviously they flipped the photo to better fit lthe page layout but it fucked with my fragile little brain. the  I kooked myslef hard by telling my stupid little buddies that switch skating is a myth and they just mirror the photos in mags haha

JusticeAbberdash

I'm pretty sure when I was young I thought there was something special about a "pro deck". If a pro had their name on it, it must be made better/lighter/stronger/something, and regular branded decks were for common people lol.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
I'm pretty sure when I was young I thought there was something special about a "pro deck". If a pro had their name on it, it must be made better/lighter/stronger/something, and regular branded decks were for common people lol.

well the same board company will often resort to different options as far as quality (and cost) for their team and logo boards and their pro models, not to mention that for a while it was normal to have good quality boards sent to the riders and shittier product sent to the skateshops for the basic skater and consumer (the boards having nothing but the graphics in common), so in a way - unfortunately - you weren't too far off...

JusticeAbberdash

Expand Quote
[close]

well the same board company will often resort to different options as far as quality (and cost) for their team and logo boards and their pro models, not to mention that for a while it was normal to have good quality boards sent to the riders and shittier product sent to the skateshops for the basic skater and consumer (the boards having nothing but the graphics in common), so in a way - unfortunately - you weren't too far off...

I was hoping I was totally off the mark, but I remember hearing rumours back in the day about the differences between decks on the shop wall and what pros put under their feet. So sneaky, but makes sense.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I was hoping I was totally off the mark, but I remember hearing rumours back in the day about the differences between decks on the shop wall and what pros put under their feet. So sneaky, but makes sense.

when I first heard about that as a kid (from a Santa Cruz rep who was taking pride in Santa Cruz not doing that, but that was 15 years ago ; maybe they do now) I remember I was so pissed ; the whole thing sounded like a scam while I was the one forking out money for inferior decks I was going to have to try and make last for 6 months anyway. I was all about supporting skate companies back then - still am, but I felt so betrayed, that really narrowed down the spectrum of who I'd purchase gear from, I thought it sucked the basic skateboarder had to get the shit end of the stick. to this day whenever I hear some of the arguments a lot of brands are trying to use as selling points, it's almost like I'm supposed to thank them for not to being scammed, and shouldn't take customer etiquette for granted.

same rep also let me in on the 'secret' of pros riding wider versions of their 'pro model' decks the everyday skater could find in skateshops, again made just for them. you'd see 7.75 Bastien Flip boards in shops but the guy would actually ride 8.6's with the same graphic so they could resist the impact on big drops more, all looking like they were riding the same twigs we had no choice to get back then (pre-resurgence of the wide decks). I remember moving up from 7.75 to 8.25 then 8.5 as soon as upon hearing that, and that was some years before big boards really became popular again so to all my friends riding 7.5's, I had a 'vert set-up' with that and 56mm wheels.

I remember getting really pissed at skate shoe brands for a while around the same time too because I had stumbled upon an interview with some Sole Tech dude (can't remember if Senizergues or some random engineer) saying they technically could mass-produce indestructible shoes, yet they wouldn't because then less skaters would buy shoes on the regular. I was a naive 15-years-old with plastic inserts inside my 6-month-old Accels to protect my socks (and feet) after the sole had worn out, but still - if I'm going to support a company, I'm hoping it's going to support the everyday skater in return, not fuck them up the ass.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:38:47 AM by silhouette »

Budgie Lasek

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

when I first heard about that as a kid (from a Santa Cruz rep who was taking pride in Santa Cruz not doing that, but that was 15 years ago ; maybe they do now) I remember I was so pissed ; the whole thing sounded like a scam while I was the one forking out money for inferior decks I was going to have to try and make last for 6 months anyway. I was all about supporting skate companies back then - still am, but I felt so betrayed, that really narrowed down the spectrum of who I'd purchase gear from, I thought it sucked the basic skateboarder had to get the shit end of the stick. to this day whenever I hear some of the arguments a lot of brands are trying to use as selling points, it's almost like I'm supposed to thank them for not to being scammed, and shouldn't take customer etiquette for granted.

same rep also let me in on the 'secret' of pros riding wider versions of their 'pro model' decks the everyday skater could find in skateshops, again made just for them. you'd see 7.75 Bastien Flip boards in shops but the guy would actually ride 8.6's with the same graphic so they could resist the impact on big drops more, all looking like they were riding the same twigs we had no choice to get back then (pre-resurgence of the wide decks). I remember moving up from 7.75 to 8.25 then 8.5 as soon as upon hearing that, and that was some years before big boards really became popular again so to all my friends riding 7.5's, I had a 'vert set-up' with that and 56mm wheels.

I remember getting really pissed at skate shoe brands for a while around the same time too because I had stumbled upon an interview with some Sole Tech dude (can't remember if Senizergues or some random engineer) saying they technically could mass-produce indestructible shoes, yet they wouldn't because then less skaters would buy shoes on the regular. I was a naive 15-years-old with plastic inserts inside my 6-month-old Accels to protect my socks (and feet) after the sole had worn out, but still - if I'm going to support a company, I'm hoping it's going to support the everyday skater in return, not fuck them up the ass.

Well, you're getting a bit into a conspiracy theory version of the reality. Some pros ride wider/skinnier boards than their official pro models - it's been that way since the popsicle shape came into existence. The reason for the difference in size is because the companies, via sales, can see what sizes sell best and in turn make the majority of their decks in that range. Pretty simple, not the industry out to screw you over somehow.

As for pros literally getting different wood - aside from testing prototypes, that's not so much a quality issue as it is personal preference. There were Girl riders who got graphics put on different wood because they liked it better (swapping china for BBS)... and I heard rumors of a couple others doing that. You could argue that the China manufacturer is lower quality, and I'd agree. But again, it's not part of some grand scheme to sell shit boards to kids while pros skate some elite wood. Pro's can skate a new board every day, and quite often do, so that argument doesn't even make too much sense when you think about it.

The shoe comment was in regards to the idea that any shoe company could obviously make an all rubber shoe that would be a tank against wear and tear, but that it would lack the style and board feel that all skaters are so adamant about. It wasn't an admission of some secret agenda to produce inferior quality shoes, it was a comment on the delicate balance of style vs functionality.

Skateboarding is a massive rumor mill and it's easy to see why so many theories gain weight, but you shouldn't feel like you've been the victim of some giant swindle. We all skate the same shit at the end of the day.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 12:49:59 PM by Budgie Lasek »

JusticeAbberdash

Dave Bachinsky, 2006 El Toro with a 7.5 deck!

The pros riding wider decks thing might've been true for a few guys, but there's definitely been people ripping on skinny decks.

knex

• Rep: 30
For a long time as a clueless kid I thought vert skaters were the only pros, because they were all padded up and did contests. The big pants and hoodie-clad street dudes I figured were just really talented hobby skaters

Also I found out about switch stance skateboarding WAY later than I should have. It never occured to me that someone willingly would make skateboading harder than it already is (I kinda still don't honestly)

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
JusticeAbberdash, there's no denying that. some of my favorite skate footage to watch has to do with narrow boards, even I got as down as 7'3 at some point back in the early 00's - Monkey Stix deck, I found that one impossible to skate though ! everybody's always skated different stuff and had their preferences. but the wider decks for the pros was a thing for some at one point and those decks weren't even available on the market so that would piss me off a little bit. I remember going through some issues of Transworld Business or whatever it was called at the time and out of all the prefered deck sizes my favorite pros would mention, a lot of them sounded ridiculous to me for I had never seen anything that obnoxiously wide in the wild or even in shops (pre-Internet).

Budgie Lasek : well, like I was saying, those interactions I'm refering to are 15+ years old. they blew my mind back then, but it doesn't mean that they aren't outdated now, or that I'm not over them (actually it would be sad to hold such trivial grudges against inanimate objects and unidentified people for nearly two decades).

I'm aware my reaction had everything to do with how things were presented to me back then and I think that's fine. although to get a clearer picture of what I'm getting at, you also need to consider the era and general context. back then finding any deck in size 8' or over was almost impossible because most companies didn't even make them, besides maybe Black Label and more independent yet poorly distributed (pre-Internet) brands maybe. so you had everyone with nothing bigger than 7.75's at every skate spot snapping them on nollies down 4's then you learn about brands making 8.5's and up for their pros because they hold up better with more distribution surface upon impacts, of course you're going to feel fucked over. then of course just a few years after, Real / DLX started this whole campaign, 'our pros actually ride the same boards you can find in skateshops', which was a good thing, just long overdue as far as fairness ; then it became the cool thing to do (especially now that the secret had been exposed) and everybody started putting out wide boards and bragging about working with Generator wood. I'd say the line got blurred around the late 2000's, but really up to that point, the disparity felt starker so the controversy probably held more water. it wasn't as much about making boards in sizes that would sell as it is now that we actually get to pick which board size we want to get. also the typical guideline according to which 'boards 8 and up are impossible to flip' was being thrown around a whole lot back then, discouraging people to go out of their way and - somehow - look for them.

about the wood, it's just a common myth I wanted to debunk, the one according to which one company should only work with this or that factory. in reality a lot of companies will do runs with Generator then with Dwindle, depending on the season, demand, expected quality (ie. logo board vs. pro board). not trying to sink anybody's ship here, just saying I see people fixating over woodshops sometimes like they're so exclusively affiliated with certain companies, everytime they buy a particular brand they're 100% sure to get the same wood, when it's not always the case.

shoe comment definitely didn't address the idea of style when it came out (although obviously, you do have the right idea). again to bring the context back, that was just around the time of the Koston 4's, Aeon / Link, early Lakai models and the peak of the D3, people were already skating in tanks, pissed those would decay still (merely just to have something to whine about), I don't think casual style whilst sporting skate shoes was a lot of skateboarders' focus at the time, at least in my area I remember everybody's priority was durability. then that interview dropped and pretty much shut (at least my) aspirations down.

that being said, your post makes perfect sense, just mostly as far as the last decade is concerned if anything, and I appreciate you taking the time to address mine. again, that was 15 years ago, and as far as I'm concerned I was younger and more naive and gullible for sure, but that is the whole point of this thread, not to mention the market back then was essentially a completely different planet, so a lot of my concerns of the time are now moot (or have been replaced with different ones, haha).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:43:33 PM by silhouette »

Budgie Lasek

Some interesting theories, but when it comes to the whole pros riding wider boards thing I have to disagree. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, what you're saying is that at some point in time most pros actually rode wide boards while consumers only had skinny options, and did so because they felt they held up better, and that the companies actively kept this a secret so they could keep selling skinny boards which you feel don't have the same strength as a wider board?

The progression from skinny boards to the wider shapes that are more common now was natural, as skaters learned what worked best for them. Everyone is different. It wasn't some "secret" that got out. I've been skating for over 30 years, working in the industry for over 20 - I've seen all the trends and boards pros are riding vs what we were selling in the distros. Pros riding different shapes from what's available in the shop are a rarity, largely due to the hassle it creates for the brands in terms of production. 99% of pros walk into the exact same warehouse the shop gets their decks from, and pick decks out of the same stacks - unless they get packages shipped. Always been that way.

Like i said, interesting theories... hope my response wasn't annoying. The thread is about misconceptions, and I felt I could help clear that one up. :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:33:58 PM by Budgie Lasek »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
maybe I wasn't clear enough or it gradually got blown out of proportion somehow but I never really meant 'most pros', nor that all the companies were 'actively' keeping it a secret like it's some type of widespread conspiracy against the people (then again though, marketing essentially consists in fooling them so they choose your product over somebody else's so where to draw the line ?). what I do know is that at some very specific, transitional point, the wider deck thing was a thing for some pros and (coincidentally or not), simultaneously, certain companies were in the know about the wider decks having a lesser chance of breakage (I mean all of them probably were due to the phenomenon coming down to basic physics, but not all of them made it a conscious marketing plot) - hadn't they been, I wouldn't have heard the argument myself in the first place. now that doesn't mean we have to be paranoid and necessarily put 2 and 2 together. that guy was definitely trying really hard to sell his Santa Cruz decks too, so there's no question whether or not he did go the extra mile with his stories ("Euro TM"'s...) recounting how it 'really' worked. it's just funny those considerations did exist, and were thrown around, back when everyone was struggling with twigs.

so I'm curious, to you, how much water did that Real campaign hold, when they publicly advertised how cool it was that the public shops were getting to carry the same boards their pros actually rode ? just some flashy attempt at publicity ?

your point about the progression from skinny boards to wider ones being natural is interesting, because I feel like up to the early-to-mids 90's some people used to skate boards about as wide as what we skate now right ? thinking 1992-ish shapes as the basic popsicle was still being elaborated upon, up to the East coast skaters who were skating 8'6 boards 1996-ish. then into the late 1990's, that's plenty of time for experimenting with shapes, sizes and naturally figuring out what works, of course the quality of the materials was constantly evolving so you can't exactly compare the different time periods but still, why the sudden decrease in board width and unavailability of bigger decks then (only to come back to them years later) ? maybe it was a Europe thing ? I remember my older friends having to order their wider decks from the US back then and even those looked hard to come by. please do note that was when I actively started skating, around 1998, so I'm curious. now about the process of the comeback itself, of course skaters were going to come back to what is functional, but I just can't help but think we had known it for some time already, hence why that narrow board (experimental ?) fad feels unnatural to me (although it did fit certain styles of skating and some people are into them to this day).

if we're going to talk progression, I wonder if all those kids who keep raising the bar of hucking yourself down stuff in complicated ways nowadays could have had done just that if bigger boards hadn't made a comeback a few skate generations ago (yes, those go fast...). originally I'd be tempted to say no, but then there's that Bachinsky clip JusticeAbberdash just posted and more instances aplenty I'm sure.

sorry for taking up space and not always making sense, I'm tired and probably shouldn't be on SLAP.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:24:01 PM by silhouette »

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
I once thought pros were real gangsters and general tough guys. Now I realize pros are basically teenage girls in the body of a man.

Budgie Lasek

so I'm curious, to you, how much water did that Real campaign hold, when they publicly advertised how cool it was that the public shops were getting to carry the same boards their pros actually rode ? just some flashy attempt at publicity ?

I think Real was being honest. All they did was make sure that some of the pro models they put out were indeed the size their riders use - but that's no big deal considering they all ride standard size boards and the range is much bigger these days. That was a more recent campaign, right? It would have been a risk for say, Girl to do that during the peak of BA's deck sales because 8.9 (or whatever size he rides, it's big) would have been regarded as huge at that time (it still is, most of his current pro decks are smaller than his rider). I have 2 friends who are pro and ride 7.8 boards, but they just get some 7.8s made specially for them and their models are a different size because it's so hard to sell anything under 8.125 these days.

As for the argument about wider boards being stronger, you've got to remember we're talking about differences in size that are fractions of an inch. Marketing and tech talk will make it sound like a slightly wider board means you can jump 20 more stairs, but in the long run there's guys doing el toro on 7.5's and there's guys doing el toro on 8.5's. Board construction and the amount of concave determines the strength - impact displacement differences are  very small and not something that's night and day noticeable. When you've been riding a small board, big boards seem like indestructible tanks, but a lot of that is in your head. If a skinny board is flatter, yes, it may be easier to break. Same goes for a flat wide board.

Now the shapes - the popsicle shape we have today was basically taking the football shapes of 1991/1992, and getting rid of the side bulge so it had a straight rail. That essentially made them skinnier - most boards from 1993 - 1995 were somewhere in the 7.5 - 7.75 range, with some exceptions on either end of the scale (I had a 7.25 Sonic, for example... huge nose, it was nuts). The east coast big boards big wheels thing was an isolated trend that did spread for a bit (my favorite video was EE3, and at one point I tried a wide ass board with 58 mm wheels... seemed too much at the time), but it didn't change the progression of board sizes in the industry as a whole(Jeff Pang was flowing me Zoo boards around 98/99 and I kept having to trade the boards he sent me for bigger ones because they were so tiny, which I thought was weird). From 95 until the early 2000's, the size range of boards expanded a bit with the majority being between 7.5 - 8, but like you said, Black Label and some more bowl barney brands offered larger shapes. It was right around the early to mid 2000's that 8.125 became one of the most popular sizes ridden by pros, and in turn, it became more available in shops. If you were a pro with big feet, you might have then said "hell, what's another 1/8th of an inch?" and stepped it up to 8.25. Once we're in that neighborhood and consumers have also started trying larger sizes, having some 8.5 options etc isn't too much of a stretch. It was all a learning process once decks found that popsicle shape... boards will always change a little bit as skaters try new things. But, like I said earlier, there have also always been lots of more tech pros who still skate 7.5's years after those were a sellable size.

I wonder if we'll ever see a trend moving back to super skinny boards?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 07:13:06 PM by Budgie Lasek »

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
i dunno bout all these paragraphs but i skated a 7.63 at the park the other day and it was super fun, i'm gonna set up a extra sub 7.75 deck next time i go to the shop
:) I must have been tripping last night

MTLDIPSET

Important bobby puleo misconception

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
Not all pros can skate everything. In the days of UK tours there were a few humbled by the local pit.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
I remember when going to a shop and wanting an 8” board meant you might have to settle for 7.75”. But I also remember in transworld buyers guides (those were a fucking thing at one point) learning that Reynolds skated (I think?) 8.6 or something and being dumbfounded because his boards were 7.5 at the time. I also recall getting a 7.8 rick Howard after YEARS of wanting a girl deck, but they literally only ever made 7.5 and 7.6.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
Regarding custom shapes vs. consumer shapes, some older company owners were a bit out of touch with their market. Santa Cruz would't let Grosso release a skinnier tail because they thought wide tails were popular with street kids and Vision wouldn't let Lucero sell a "32 board with a longer nose since it went against the 10x30" no nose standard. In reality, kids were re-shaping and re-drilling just to make some of those goofy '80s shapes useful.

Lobo

• Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
That Powell Peralta was a skateboarder

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 10
    • HH avatar image
I always thought that there were enemies between skate teams, like I guy from zero never be friend/hang out  with a guy from shortys or something, like they only be friends with guys from the same team or dress alike...
If I wasnt me, I never hang out with me...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
I always thought all pros had health benefit packages

halfsleeper

• Rep: 9
That all pics were makes.

also didn't know composite images were acceptable
tiny hat, big heart.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2552
That Powell Peralta was a skateboarder

You were half right!
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud