Author Topic: Misconception you had of professional skateboarding that was later clarified  (Read 14955 times)

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
Can we get an info graphic similar to the biggest gaps one? have it show a cali table, a normal table, and the sizes of hosoi and dills ego.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

shark tits

when i first watched 'big brother shit' i thought that dave carnie was jake phelps. he was older and bespectacled and kind of an asshole.
i didn't get that they were editors of competing magazines.
"illegal fruitcakes? you're outta here, get out!"

Krisjan_Aubin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
As a kid, and my only glimpse into a professional skaters lifestyle was On video's "cribs" Rob Dyrdek. I had this thought that nearly all pro skaters had a seemingly good life,  as in a nice car, and decent living accomodations. It wasn't till epicly laterd came on the scene that i saw the reality of a career in pro skateboarding.

So is there anything that you guys initially thought one way about in skateboarding/ pro Skateboarding that was later clarified  due to media/the internet?

I saw an epicly later'd of chris haslam recently. I grew up watching almost round three and he was one of my favorites. that dood is now sleeping on the floor of some rank apartment in LA. Its amazing you can go from shane o'nieil who has a massive house and kitchen he barely uses to Haslam and a dank apartment with piss stained floors.

Lorn Au Arcos

• Rep: -4
I thought the "Poocano" was real

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
I thought the "Poocano" was real

You mean like, an actual geological occurrence or an actual ass? Pretty sure it really was the latter.

JumpManShorty

• Rep: -86
Those paragraphs on page 3 were not needed.

What's needed is the graph of how big a Cali picnic table is.

Someone do that

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
i always thought that if i could land the same trick done in a video, it meant i was good and eventually i would get sponsored. i had a list of tricks in my head that video caliber skaters did. i would see some of my peers doing those tricks and think they were gonna get hooked up for sure.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:24:18 AM by chipped tail »

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
Way back when I was still learning how to skate I saw a guy riding a girl board with venture trucks so I thought all trucks with the V on them were Girl trucks

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
As a kid, and my only glimpse into a professional skaters lifestyle was On video's "cribs" Rob Dyrdek. I had this thought that nearly all pro skaters had a seemingly good life,  as in a nice car, and decent living accomodations. It wasn't till epicly laterd came on the scene that i saw the reality of a career in pro skateboarding.

So is there anything that you guys initially thought one way about in skateboarding/ pro Skateboarding that was later clarified  due to media/the internet?
[close]

I saw an epicly later'd of chris haslam recently. I grew up watching almost round three and he was one of my favorites. that dood is now sleeping on the floor of some rank apartment in LA. Its amazing you can go from shane o'nieil who has a massive house and kitchen he barely uses to Haslam and a dank apartment with piss stained floors.

Say what?

Beeda Weeda

they're all midgets.

oldgoodburger

Re: Misconception you had of professional skateboarding that was later clarified
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2018, 04:48:57 PM »
i thought all pros were close friends and hung out all the time

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
Re: Misconception you had of professional skateboarding that was later clarified
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2018, 07:24:26 PM »
i thought all pros were close friends and hung out all the time
GANG

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2018, 09:05:11 PM »
I thought pros would be bigger assholes than they ended up being, mostly because all the hometown hero’s were cliquish and kinda douchey.

I believed that spots would be smaller in NYC/ Long Island, and I thought spots in LA would be bigger. Barcelona and London spots seemed to be pretty accurate though.

When I was younger, I assumed that pros were paid well. I was dumbfounded to learn that my mom made more than Andrew Reynolds did pre-THPS.

I thought Venture actually made good trucks in the late 90’s.

I blindly assumed that decks and wheels in ccs that cost more money were better quality.

I thought shoes like the Vans Era and the Vans Slip On were just lifestyle shoes that couldn’t handle the demands of modern skating. This was in the late 90’s, when the smallest pro shoe was the original Geoff Rowley Vans.

I naively believed people who made up bullshit stories, like the idiots who said they rode for two dirfeeent shops or two different shoe companies. Grew out of that once I met people who actually skated.

I assumed lightly drinking and smoking weed didn’t have a negative influence on my skating. That was a lie I told myself for a while. I also assumed speed and opiates had a negative influence on my skating, but it ended up being quite the opposite.

I thought that many of the earlier 90’s videos weren’t as impressive as they are now. I started skateboarding in 1999, and my neighbor gave me 411 number 1, Las Nueve Vidas De Paco, and the most current best of 411 video that was out at the time, and I thought the best of video was some RNS. The one he did give me that I was impressed with was Virtual Reality, but I was a sucker for the flashiness of The End....

I thought every pro could do every trick, just like most of you believed. Meeting Mike V changed that for me. Also Mike V told me that he would forever stay on Etnies and Black Label, guess that was something that was clarified at a later time though...

I thought Shawn Powers had great potential and was going to be a great skateboarder once he hit his 20’s.

I thought I would probably be dead by my mid 20’s.

At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

AllBranFlakes69

• Rep: 1
  • Make fibre your friend
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2018, 01:30:57 AM »
Expand Quote
When i was a kid i thought every pro could do every trick ever and that's what made them pro. Boy was i wrong.
[close]

I was at the park with my buddy who’s been getting back into skating after a few years not skating and he’s doing really well and it’s honestly making me want to get back to my little kid Skate rat days, but he gets so frustrated with consistency with his flat ground and the and older guy I was talking to at the moment just started cracking up with me.

We had to tell him he’s killing it and that even pros ain’t consistent in their tricks. These Skate rats at the park might seem amazing but you don’t realize they skate the same thing and do the same tricks every day. If you can do a few flip tricks just cruising down the street that’s pretty good.

I feel bad skating with him sometimes as I feel like he gets discouraged by me. I don’t do anything extraordinary but I tend to pick spots more biased to my style of skating and will just do go tos while he struggles with stuff and it’s like I struggled too it was just years ago and now I can just do basic stuff at the spot for fun and at a pace I like. He just feels the need to go super hard and he’s learning and progressing super quick just has to see past the media of skating to just skating for himself to have fun without trying to be on par with some insta kid or the local park killers who are there everyday. I’m trying to get him more on the adventuring , experimental side of street skating where you just skate what you find like I had has a kid instead of this park centric picture perfect idea of skating.

I also thought pros were rich or at least well off enough to be able to have an apartment or home and still travel the majority of the time. Also I used to think teams hung out and were friends and then I asked Justin Eldridge a few questions about Antwan Dixon leaving Es when I met him once and was amazed when he said he’d never really talked to him. Even that nine club recently where Eldridge and webbing talked about pops and he said he didn’t really know the dude exemplified the fact that you can be on a team with someone for years , it doesn’t mean you’ll even really know them or Skate with them regularly.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2018, 01:54:37 AM »
I thought the skater always picked the song they wanted for their video parts.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
I thought the skater always picked the song they wanted for their video parts.

jomeara1

At the time I thought the only professional skateboarders that existed were the ones in THPS 1-3

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
thought skaters designed their own pro model shoes

picked songs for their video parts

were able to fully live off of pro skateboarding and didnt have to work outside - probably true for 60% of pros/sponsored skaters?

they enjoy skateboarding

got a long with team mates

was so shocked when i first met adrian lopez (first pro) and he had indy hangers with destructo base plates haha -
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
i thought new blood was the throwaway footage from dying to live for the longest time and i don't know why.
good come sausage

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That the LA picnic tables were normal size.
[close]
[close]

they actually are, just not commonly skated.
[close]

I've seen this discussed on here before and I've always thought it was weird. The small tables are at elementary schools. High schools in LA have adult size picnic tables. Do 6 year olds in other parts of the country all eat at tables that are way too big for them?
Yes they probably do eat at large tables, i know in most places i've been there's one school that has one of those mythical small picnic tables and it's generally a big deal. I think i always realized the LA tables were small but i definitely thought Matt Hensley cabbed a full sized table when i was 14.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
Expand Quote

[close]

At that time Dyrdek was one of the richer skaters around but that was also before the influx of blank boards and European brands so dudes that rode for decent board companies got paid pretty decently, and if they were on DC or Sole tech or even DVS they were also getting a good check from those guys.
Another story i've heard a bunch of times is that Austalian skaters in the late 80s and early 90s, especially the vert guys thought that all video parts were filmed in a few hours and not 12 months and thats why they all got so good is they were under the impression that American skaters could do all the tricks in their video parts every try.

Free Whirl

• Rep: 3
Long time lurker, finally gave into temptation and made an account.
Yeah Right was one of the first skate vids that I watched and I thought the invisible green ramps section was real for a while. Blew me away when I was a kid. Also I thought Owen Wilson ripped

curbdrop

• Rep: 3
That Heath and Klein were best friends. I felt personally attacked when he left for workshop with Berra.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Expand Quote
That the LA picnic tables AND Fire hydrants were normal size.
[close]

That's where we east coasters get the pop from, we all looked at vids like, oh tables, hydrants..ok, ours were so much bigger...we just moved onto tennis court nets, guard rails and industrial garbage cans ;)

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
That pros left that gang ish behind.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
That Ollie didn’t come from an Americanization of “allez”

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That the LA picnic tables AND Fire hydrants were normal size.
[close]
[close]

That's where we east coasters get the pop from, we all looked at vids like, oh tables, hydrants..ok, ours were so much bigger...we just moved onto tennis court nets, guard rails and industrial garbage cans ;)

Good call. Not to mention the much rougher ground! I'd imagine back in the day, when East coast dudes came out to Cali they were taken aback and just FLEW over everything.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
Pretty recent - I rewatched Fully Flared recently for the first time in several years with my roommate who's just as big of a skate nerd as I am and like half of Koston's part is filmed wearing Es shoes.

He pointed it out and I was blown away. Pretty much every clip were he has longer hair, he's wearing Eccels. I never noticed as a kid watching the video.

It makes sense though, seeing as in the behind the scenes documentary Lakai put out about Fully Flared they said that Koston had less than a year from when he got on to when the video premiered. Had to fill the part out somehow haha.

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pretty sure the first time I saw a Hosoi hammerhead rising sun I was like "Why is this old dude ripping off the Muska?"
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
that it was fun