Author Topic: Pops' Part in Fully Flared Was Not Ahead of Its Time  (Read 4484 times)

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Pops' Part in Fully Flared Was Not Ahead of Its Time
« on: February 10, 2018, 11:51:59 PM »
Static 2 came out in 2004

Traffic "Via" came out in 2006

Fully Flared came out in 2007
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Powdered Toast Man!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
Re: Pops' Part in Fully Flared Was Not Ahead of Its Time
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 01:06:17 AM »
but his insta bio used to say "the person you'll be trying to be like 10 years from now" what does it mean??
 :(

Edit* or i think it said 7 years
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 06:22:46 PM by mex.ceferino »

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

Gino's Back 180 Nosegrind

• Rep: 34
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 01:26:35 AM »
Yes he's a whiny baby but that part definitely stands out in a sea of lip slide variations and still holds up. You seem to have an agenda. Did he sell you defective dining furniture? 

Profitsea

• Rep: 1
  • Beef?
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 01:44:47 AM »
Yes he's a whiny baby but that part definitely stands out in a sea of lip slide variations and still holds up. You seem to have an agenda. Did he sell you defective dining furniture?
Talk slick about furniture again and I swear to god I’ll type you an email and not send it, don’t test me
Dispatch the spatulas.

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 01:59:18 AM »
His part in fully flared is good, and so are the videos you listed beforehand. I think the reason people think it was ahead of its time is because it's memorable and it still holds up today. There's not really another part I remember from that video, or would search out to watch again. Great part, but not ahead of its time.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

Carl P

• Rep: -20
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 02:01:10 AM »
The type of skating doesn't matter nor does when it got "popular". nobody else skates like Pops and that's the point. Period.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 04:10:51 AM »
As much as I hate giving him credit, Chris Senn (and the adrenalin dudes) really created that modern style that everyone is doing now, not that their wasn't others but when I watch his Jump Off a Building part I see the blueprint for so much of modern urban skating, down tot he loose trucks and rabid dog push.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 04:34:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Talk slick about furniture again and I swear to god I’ll type you an email and not send it, don’t test me

Ha

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 07:06:52 AM »
Mosaic came out in 2003
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 07:26:51 AM »
Brian Anderson Yeah Right Part came out in 2003.  Papalardos part in FF seemed like he wasnt skate a lot and that was the beginning of the end.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 07:29:11 AM »
His part in fully flared is good, and so are the videos you listed beforehand. I think the reason people think it was ahead of its time is because it's memorable and it still holds up today. There's not really another part I remember from that video, or would search out to watch again. Great part, but not ahead of its time.
  Carrols part tho?
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 07:34:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

SOTY

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 07:49:32 AM »
Time is an illusion you goofs.

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 07:57:02 AM »
His Mosaic part was ahead of its time and still holds up today. Dude was skating SO good at the time- power, style, trick and spot selection, and straight up gnarliness. The Fully Flared part will always be enternally disappointing to me. You can even tell by the age of the clips that something happened to him- the 360 kf on the natural pyramid and that backside flip fake 5-0 on that steep marble bank to ledge were early in the film process and look like Mosaic. Then the NY clips show the frail Pops we know today.

His dropoff is mindblowing. At least he blessed us with some gold (Photo, ie, that shop sect where he skates to Blondie) and an all timer part (Mosaic) before falling off.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

Oprah Winfrey

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 09:23:06 AM »
His Mosaic part was ahead of its time and still holds up today. Dude was skating SO good at the time- power, style, trick and spot selection, and straight up gnarliness. The Fully Flared part will always be enternally disappointing to me. You can even tell by the age of the clips that something happened to him- the 360 kf on the natural pyramid and that backside flip fake 5-0 on that steep marble bank to ledge were early in the film process and look like Mosaic. Then the NY clips show the frail Pops we know today.

His dropoff is mindblowing. At least he blessed us with some gold (Photo, ie, that shop sect where he skates to Blondie) and an all timer part (Mosaic) before falling off.

where your sig from

virginsiloveem

• Rep: -11
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 09:39:44 AM »
Alternative facts

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 10:40:50 AM »
It's a cool part because he aggressively put the least effort into it but had the most talked about moments.

Basically it's 'Yeezus' the skate part.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 11:44:48 AM »
this came out in 2002
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cffJwwMOWkw

pops fully flared ender always seemed ripped off from this but it was probably just a coincidence

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 01:19:24 PM »
maybe ahead of its time in terms of where the mainstream would head?
 There many other videos and parts in this vein before pops, but there was yet to be the swan pablo-effect and this foreshadowed that.
Like the first kid to play 36 chambers for their friends in the burbs, it was already out there, but this was were they heard it first.

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 02:05:06 PM »
As much as I hate giving him credit, Chris Senn (and the adrenalin dudes) really created that modern style that everyone is doing now, not that their wasn't others but when I watch his Jump Off a Building part I see the blueprint for so much of modern urban skating, down tot he loose trucks and rabid dog push.
I’m interested in knowing why you hate giving senndog credit

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

Nosferatu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 02:12:58 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0GpqqRZgNo&feature=plcp

This clip was pretty ahead of its time. Others like Gino had milked their careers but nobody this young had ever actually gotten this bad after being so good.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 02:26:54 PM »
Brian Wenning had a beef with Pops?

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2018, 02:30:07 PM »
its kind of alluded to in a couple of wenning interviews. maybe the bobshirt one? its never outright stated that there was beef but they went from being best boys / always together to not speaking to each other. today it seems more weird they were ever close with how different they end up being.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -480
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2018, 02:57:10 PM »
its kind of alluded to in a couple of wenning interviews. maybe the bobshirt one? its never outright stated that there was beef but they went from being best boys / always together to not speaking to each other. today it seems more weird they were ever close with how different they end up being.

On the last nine club experience they were talking about pops with wenning and when asked if they still spoke he just said he pops liked one of his instas once with a little sigh. He seemed bummed that they don’t really talk.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 03:16:47 PM »
They go into slightly more detail about it in Pappalardo's Epicly Later'd, but still not much is explicitly said.

I re-watched it recently, and had forgotten that Ted Barrow is one of the main people interviewed for it.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 03:31:49 PM »
Is there are a milking it video for Gino Ianucci?

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 05:08:56 PM »
Then the NY clips show the frail Pops we know today.

Obviously he got deeper into drugs somewhere around that time.  My guess is benzos, since Wenning was admittedly on them too. Not that they had any contact with each other obviously, but the effects seemed quite similar.

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2018, 09:12:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Then the NY clips show the frail Pops we know today.

[close]

Obviously he got deeper into drugs somewhere around that time.  My guess is benzos, since Wenning was admittedly on them too. Not that they had any contact with each other obviously, but the effects seemed quite similar.

IDK about that.  Is it widely known that Pops was/is a drug addict?  I kinda suspected a little bit but never heard anything like that.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 11:06:10 PM »
^ I think I remember some short hbo segment covering ny skating that featured pops (maybe 2013?). At some point he acknowledges this by saying something like, "I've had periods of time where I've abused myself...done things that I shouldn't have done", and he tied it into skating as a being his salvation (I think).

- I think that FF part being ahead of its time it irrelevant to an extent. The question is whether it did or did not have any immediate impact/influence on skating as a whole, and I don't really think it did much from what I remember. It's kinda like Jason Adams Black Label era of skating: sure he was wearing high-waters, doing no-complies and wallrides before everyone else, but he failed to popularize it. Those trends cropped up years later on its own.