Author Topic: On Why Deck Prices Have Not Changed  (Read 6542 times)

sluggers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -407
On Why Deck Prices Have Not Changed
« on: February 12, 2018, 08:48:03 AM »
A pretty good write-up from Vice on why decks still cost the same over three decades later.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a34ede/why-have-skateboards-cost-dollar50-for-30-years?

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -4
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
Re: On Why Deck Prices Have Not Changed
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 08:50:42 AM »
Deluxe and US brands are about to take a heavy increase in the U.K.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 09:06:23 AM »
Does this article mention Heath Kirchart's Michael Jackson costume?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 09:36:46 AM »
Yeah because real wages went down and the manufacturing industry was moved to 2nd and 3rd world countries to keep a margin.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 09:45:34 AM »
Real skate shops are almost extinct and Swank is still shitting on them. Many company owners still don't realize that they created the market for shop decks when they shifted to generically shaped logo boards. People aren't buying Tum Yeto decks because they prefer other brands.

QueeferMadness

• Rep: -343
  • Don't Fear The Queefer
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 10:14:50 AM »
DLX>shop boards> everything else

shark tits

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 10:27:55 AM »
maybe price tag hasn't gone up a ton but i paid $20-30 in the 90s and then in the 00s it wasn't hard to get a shop blank for $40 on the road.
ff to this yr and i got charged $68 for a deck. twice.
grip usedta be free, now that's $5 or whatever.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 11:02:57 AM »
maybe price tag hasn't gone up a ton but i paid $20-30 in the 90s and then in the 00s it wasn't hard to get a shop blank for $40 on the road.

Same just bought a Real Busenitz that was ~$70 w/ no grip

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 11:53:56 AM »
About ten years ago all decks were about 55-60€ and local brands 50€. Now  fa or quasi is 70-79€.. Local brands are 60-65€.. I hope decks won't be 100€ in next ten years. Though I'd say quality is better too.

sluggers

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 01:52:37 PM »
The European market is a little different, the tax is based on boards being classified as toys, so when I lived in Europe boards cost $100 each.

gollum mcjinglemeballs

• Rep: -4
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 02:14:24 PM »
The European market is a little different, the tax is based on boards being classified as toys, so when I lived in Europe boards cost $100 each.

I lived in the the UK around 2000ish( that period of my life is kinda of foggy), but I remember paying my local shop to mail a few decks over because it was cheaper then buying one over there.

franc

• Rep: 101
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 02:35:25 PM »
In the early 90s, a board costed 129 francs in Switzerland, and you sometimes had to pay 10 francs for a sheet of Jessup. That's 139 francs which would be 148 dollars today. Boards are much cheaper now here though (69 to 79 francs for most companies, 73 to 84 dollars), and you usually get free griptape when you buy a board in a legit shop. Those prices have changed for other reasons, not related to skateboarding, as you know.

sluggers

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
In the early 90s, a board costed 129 francs in Switzerland, and you sometimes had to pay 10 francs for a sheet of Jessup. That's 139 francs which would be 148 dollars today. Boards are much cheaper now here though (69 to 79 francs for most companies, 73 to 84 dollars), and you usually get free griptape when you buy a board in a legit shop. Those prices have changed for other reasons, not related to skateboarding, as you know.

I don't know where you were in Switzerland, but Wind Service was the best in Geneva at the time. God bless Robert Ettienne. He kept the entire scene alive in the late 80's and early 90's.

powerhazard

• Rep: 7
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 07:23:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same just bought a Real Busenitz that was ~$70 w/ no grip

Where are you guys buying boards? That's absurd.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 07:30:28 PM »
In the US, the reason is "because skaters only want to pay around $50 for one."  That's basically it.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 08:01:52 PM »
Deluxe and US brands are about to take a heavy increase in the U.K.

Deluxe boards just went up in the states

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 08:15:02 PM »
That makes complete sense. ::)

Blackholebacon

• Rep: -7
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 05:15:11 AM »

yes... useless wooden toys.

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 05:33:14 AM »
About ten years ago all decks were about 55-60€ and local brands 50€. Now  fa or quasi is 70-79€.. Local brands are 60-65€.. I hope decks won't be 100€ in next ten years. Though I'd say quality is better too.

Internet changed the things a little bit, I always pay 50-60 euros for a BBS/Generator board. I wouldn't mind to pay an extra to buy decks on the local shop, but they never have 8,7 boards

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 07:04:10 AM »
If you live in the US and your local is charging >$65 for a deck and (plain) grip isn't free, find a new shop

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

shark tits

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 07:16:51 AM »
If you live in the US and your local is charging >$65 for a deck and (plain) grip isn't free, find a new shop
i should. here's my dilemma. the only other shop in town i have beef w/ the owner. i had freinds in the DLX warehouse and they'd throw in extra stuff in the shop's orders for us. sometimes we got it but then the guy kept it. in defense of this shop, most of the kids and the owner will give me a deck in the $50 price range. every time i get gouged i'll stay away a few months, passive agressive resistance.
the 2 decks i overpaid for were Polar. are Polars more expensive? do those clerks just think i'm balling?
i don't know. if it happens a 3rd i might just switch to theories.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 07:19:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i should. here's my dilemma. the only other shop in town i have beef w/ the owner. i had freinds in the DLX warehouse and they'd throw in extra stuff in the shop's orders for us. sometimes we got it but then the guy kept it. in defense of this shop, most of the kids and the owner will give me a deck in the $50 price range. every time i get gouged i'll stay away a few months, passive agressive resistance.
the 2 decks i overpaid for were Polar. are Polars more expensive? do those clerks just think i'm balling?
i don't know. if it happens a 3rd i might just switch to theories.
I just bought a Polar last week from my local for $55, you're being fleeced. But if I were you, I'd try ordering online from the closest shop that you're cool with that doesn't extort you.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 01:17:03 PM »
I'd love to hear something specific to Canada on this topic. For as long as I can remember (dating back to the late 90's), a deck in Canada has been in the $80-90 range. Since most of the boards are coming from the US, you would think that would go up or down with the value of the Canadian dollar; but the Canadian dollar has been worth as little as $0.65 US, and as much as $1.05 in that time, and the price of skate shit has stayed the same.

Right now, a Canadian dollar is $.79 US. Average board is $85+13% tax (in Ontario), so we're paying $76.27 US for a board right now.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 02:29:05 PM »
I don't know what the fuck pro models this dude is seeing at Pac Drive for $45. Them shits is $55 and up. That place is easily one of the most expensive stores for hard goods in the city. Must be because they gotta pay that beach rent. Them boards on consignment from local brands with people who turned themselves pro don't count.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 02:33:00 PM »
I owned a skateshop for 8 years... from 2000 to 2008... the Canadian/US currency rates changed the price of all skate goods twice in those years, both obviously going up... but as a shop, you just eat that price change... I liked to keep decks at 90 with grip including tax.... most other shops charged over 100 after tax... so I sold lots... I just looked at it like volume will win... make less per deck & sell way more... vs selling fewer decks with more profit.... & I hated having stock that did not move, so I would ditch those for 75 with grip & tax after a month of sitting.... & that was basically cost after paying for the decks plus tax & then charging tax....

So what was my point? oh yeah, people will only pay so much, so as a shop you have to eat that wholesale price increase.  Having said that, I have a feeling all this will change very soon. Minimum wage has gone way up & who knows what Trump & Trudeau come up with.

side note, I always thought it was interesting when the currency rates went back to somewhat normal, our prices would not drop back down.

franc

• Rep: 101
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 02:34:25 PM »
I don't know where you were in Switzerland, but Wind Service was the best in Geneva at the time. God bless Robert Ettienne. He kept the entire scene alive in the late 80's and early 90's.

Hehe! I was in Valais and somebody had a copy of the Wind Service vid. Watched it loads back then but haven't seen it in over 25 years I think.

sluggers

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 06:03:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hehe! I was in Valais and somebody had a copy of the Wind Service vid. Watched it loads back then but haven't seen it in over 25 years I think.

thatdrugruglookscoolonyou

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 06:17:35 PM »
abyss... you're a fucking idiot.

I have no idea what you tards are talking. I got some choice shit x5 hopps/politic/scumco You guy's are bitching about horseshit. Knock off the dickhead "rep-attitude" and it might be friendly toward business instead of bucking your hometown hero as the next black belt. Quit following trends ya clown ass rich kids.

vinn

• Rep: -2
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 09:30:19 PM »
I can't even afford all international board brands in Indonesia. It cost double since last year. It was IDR 650000, and then up to 798000, but now raised at 950000

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 10:28:49 PM »
Real skate shops are almost extinct and Swank is still shitting on them. Many company owners still don't realize that they created the market for shop decks when they shifted to generically shaped logo boards. People aren't buying Tum Yeto decks because they prefer other brands.

I'm buying Toy Machine boards because the aren't Watson.....