Author Topic: On Why Deck Prices Have Not Changed  (Read 6534 times)

Tempeka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Re: On Why Deck Prices Have Not Changed
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 10:46:06 PM »
FA and hockey boards are all almost $10 more

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 11:01:26 PM »
Prices jumped a few years ago, from $49ish to $53<->$55 - all the boutique brands...

bawtawd5

• Rep: 134
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 12:05:07 AM »
I always see regular decks for 50 and pro models for 55. I guess the shops pocket the extra five, cause they all should be the same price from the company. Or is it a added cost for royalties?

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 02:29:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don't know where you were in Switzerland, but Wind Service was the best in Geneva at the time. God bless Robert Ettienne. He kept the entire scene alive in the late 80's and early 90's.
[close]

Hehe! I was in Valais and somebody had a copy of the Wind Service vid. Watched it loads back then but haven't seen it in over 25 years I think.
[close]

https://vimeo.com/168623079

Day made! Thank you so much!

So where's Part II? :)

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 07:09:01 AM »
I bet deck manufacturers and other industry groups came together about this topic, at a conference organized by a corporation such as Nike, and decided to fund a media piece. This would ready consumers for a coming price increase. We’re probably gonna see this happening in the months leading up to the olympics and a major increase after that as the skateboard industry seeks more affluent people and a wider general audience. The focus on profit-seeking will ramp up and skateboarding’s golden age will be left to the annals of time as the face and nature of the sport change completely.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2018, 03:31:49 PM »
I just think companies are afraid to be the first ones to do it.  Think about it from your own perspective.  You walk in a shop, all the boards are the same price, let's say $54.99.  Then you look and see, FOR EXAMPLE, Alien Workshop boards are $64.99.  And you ask the shop dude, and there's absolutely nothing different between the boards that are $54.99 and the boards that are $64.99.  NONE.  You gonna buy that Alien board?  Probably not.  So Alien starts to see a decrease in the amount of boards they are selling.  Word gets around that Alien boards are NOT selling as well these days because of the price increase.  You think every other company is going to raise their prices to $64.99 so there's a level playing field and Alien doesn't get left out in the cold.  FUCK NO!!!  So, companies will cut the pay of riders or move factories overseas or do whatever they can to make an extra buck, because, let's face it, it's 2018, manufacturing costs have increased, employee pay has increased, and margins are decreasing. There would be a revolt against the first company that actually makes boards retail for what they really should be, profit margin-wise. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Jacob Gary

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 03:39:37 PM »
You guys are lucky, prices have gone way up in Canada.

Ten years ago you were looking at $60, now you're looking at $90.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 03:44:34 PM »

but that's due to the dollar exchange vs. the US dollar - not due to increases in pricing from the manufacturers.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Jacob Gary

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2018, 03:55:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

but that's due to the dollar exchange vs. the US dollar - not due to increases in pricing from the manufacturers.

I know, just pointing it out. Paying $70 USD for a deck is rough. Especially if you look at California minimum wage being $10.50 USD which translates into $13.12 CAD, where as British Columbia is only recently at $11.35. You guys also only pay like 5% sales tax, we're at 12%.

Might seem small, but shit adds up.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:56:46 PM by Gary Ate My Peanuts »

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 04:34:39 PM »
In Winnipeg if you wanted you could get a dwindle/sk8mafia deck for $30-40, DLX, quasi and baker boys for $70-80, shop deck for 65-70 and FA-hockey $90. thats with out grip

Tommy G

• Rep: -13
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2018, 04:51:43 PM »
Outsourcing the work has a big part to do with it, but afterwards it's all up to the shops to determine the price. My shop used to keep it to the $50-55 price range, but changed it after he renovated the shop to $55-60. He's the only one in town, but thankfully I get that "family" discount.  ;)

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2018, 05:06:09 PM »
Been riding point and shop decks for years.

Sk8philosipher

• Rep: -9
  • You gotta wind up that 360
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2018, 06:11:32 AM »
Price is the same because no one wants to pay more im sure manufacturing cost have went up thats why theres little to no money in board brands same trend in video games hence the invention of loot boxes
Bird from alcatraz

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2018, 09:41:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I know, just pointing it out. Paying $70 USD for a deck is rough. Especially if you look at California minimum wage being $10.50 USD which translates into $13.12 CAD, where as British Columbia is only recently at $11.35. You guys also only pay like 5% sales tax, we're at 12%.

SF is 8.5%, and I'd gladly pay the extra 3.5% to be able to get free healthcare, considering that I pay $128/week for it

Jacob Gary

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2018, 10:42:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

SF is 8.5%, and I'd gladly pay the extra 3.5% to be able to get free healthcare, considering that I pay $128/week for it

Ha! Depends on where you live. BC is the only province I think where you have to pay premiums, which is like $80/month. Still cheaper than what you're paying, I hear you.

sluggers

• Rep: -405
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2018, 11:29:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don't know where you were in Switzerland, but Wind Service was the best in Geneva at the time. God bless Robert Ettienne. He kept the entire scene alive in the late 80's and early 90's.
[close]

Hehe! I was in Valais and somebody had a copy of the Wind Service vid. Watched it loads back then but haven't seen it in over 25 years I think.
[close]

https://vimeo.com/168623079
[close]

Day made! Thank you so much!

So where's Part II? :)

I wish I knew where part II was because I remember this really sick and long manual

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2018, 01:05:21 PM »
It's like a corner store/Bodega, they don't make shit on a pack of smokes but it gets someone in the store for something they "need" and while there hopefully buy a drink and a candy bar or bag of chips where they make more of a margin.  Skate shop, come in for a deck, hopefully leave with a shop tee or a pair of shoes as well. 

Also the margin shrinks with shipping/COD charges & "Free Grip" that the shop has already paid for, the price of a deck from the West coast to the east coast can go up $4-$6 per deck after shipping, add in the grip at $3 & your hyped if you make $8 on a deck,  then you got the way of the "Homie" or shop employee who gets a discount and you make nothing....but hey you sold some boards and kept the industries gear turning another day...

Board prices in the US have started to slowly creep up and this year board prices from some companies have jumped up 20% since the new year.
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

stophatin

• Rep: -35
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2018, 05:46:19 PM »
I used to buy $5 barely used decks as a kid.... now I sell $500 barely used decks on ebay. 

globe fusion

• Rep: 3
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2018, 07:30:04 PM »
I'd love to hear something specific to Canada on this topic. For as long as I can remember (dating back to the late 90's), a deck in Canada has been in the $80-90 range. Since most of the boards are coming from the US, you would think that would go up or down with the value of the Canadian dollar; but the Canadian dollar has been worth as little as $0.65 US, and as much as $1.05 in that time, and the price of skate shit has stayed the same.

Right now, a Canadian dollar is $.79 US. Average board is $85+13% tax (in Ontario), so we're paying $76.27 US for a board right now.

yeah all hardgoods in canada increased. most stores sell decks at 80$ now. cost prices keep going up.

you do lose margin off free grip and so on, but offering free shipping to online customers is the big killer. shipping in canada is quite expensive. mailing a deck from east to west can pretty much remove every bit of margin left.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1467
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2018, 01:40:55 AM »
In Europe, prices have been slovly creeping up in the last 15 years - going from around 70€ (15 years ago) to 80€ right now. The important difference now is the prevalence of local small brands that will sell you a board for 35-40€ with grip (no skateshop involved).

Anyway, there has been no innovation to the decks and lower prices make skateboarding more accessible, so ...

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2018, 05:15:34 AM »
for years in the uk it always seemed the eu/uk/etc brands would be £40 on the dot for a deck, with american decks being £10-15 more. lately the eu/uk brands seem to have gone up to £46/47 and some of the american brands have went up to £60/65. crailtap stuff seems to be around £55, hockey/quasi/etc (stix?) £60. i just checked my local and dlx shit is £70?!

lewiscruise

• Rep: 0
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2018, 09:09:19 AM »
boards should be $80 a piece to properly support the industry

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2018, 09:18:37 PM »