Author Topic: Backpacking: Experiences/destinations/gear  (Read 1189 times)

streetsoup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
Backpacking: Experiences/destinations/gear
« on: February 15, 2018, 12:06:37 PM »
Any PALS ever gone backpacking? Started to get some gear last year and went on one trip up into the Wasatch. heading down into Escalante UT tomorrow for a two nighter in Coyote Gulch. Stoked! It's gonna be fkn cold though.

What's a favorite spot you've gone to?
What's your must have gear, clothing, food?
Crazy experiences you've had out in the wild?

I know the gear/food/clothing I like to bring, but curious about everyone else's go tos.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
Re: Backpacking: Experiences/destinations/gear
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 10:36:48 PM »
backpacking is one of the sickest things to do.
Went to Alaska and backpacked for 2 days. Most definitely be strapped with a gun on that one. That one was super fun. But you always gotta have one of these. Super handy and those cans last pretty long
https://www.rei.com/product/106902/msr-pocketrocket-stove-kit

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 767
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 05:06:05 AM »
http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/hop-can-stoves-how-to-make-5-ultralight-bikepacking-stoves/

make yourself one of these, fueled by ethanol, half a litre can last u up to about a week. way lighter when going on longer tracks

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 09:10:36 AM »
Traveled across Ecuador for 90 days with a skateboard. You can search the travel section to find my photos and description of towns.

I always travel with a skateboard because you can meet people who speak another language by just giving high fives and drinking beer. Where skating is less popular it feels like being a kid again, seeing somebody else’s tee shirt or shoes knowing they skate too. I can explore towns faster as well has having a quick escape and a defense weapon if need be. Or it could be a conversation piece. People love to see a kick flip.

I spent 2 months  in the amazon and felt it was quite useless. I kept on having to clean my bearings because the humidity would rust them. The board lost its pop but whatever.

I spent 6 more weeks backpacking through every environment. Often it’s just a big stupid thing you’re lugging around. There were not many roads in the Andes but kids still have a fascination. Have some candy or something to interact and show thankfulness. I made them origami.

I would bring the minimum but be smart. Retreaded tool, extra bearing, and old gear you won’t care about. Funny, I found a left shoe of Koston 2 in the amazon basin and was like how the fuck did this get here? Maybe a collapseable water bottle or a life straw. Multiple headlamps. If you can buy something there that you don’t want to keep forever, just do that and give it away when you’re done to drop the weight. Carry toilet paper and learn how to be super conservative about it.

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 11:39:30 AM »
definitely extra socks/boxers. did a lot of backpacking in hs, not as much in college. depending on the terrain youre doing (urban/trail) good footwear is a must. i always wear 6 inch boots on trail just because i like the protection, but if its more urban, a sturdy pair of gym shoes are a good option. as far as clothing, in the midwest I am pretty safe with a synthetic tshirt to wick moisture, a mid layer (patagonia nanopuff, snap t), and a rain shell. throw a hat in for sun protection/rain. bring atleast 2 nalgenes, more depending on if the campsites are dry/how far a water source is. I like to pump water vs iodine tablets, but they arent the end of the world. think of things that have multiple purposes to cut down on weight/trash... toilet paper can also be used to dry things/also a firestarter in a pinch. roll up a jacket and use as a pillow. some ultralight tents use trekking poles as tent poles.

most of the gear I get from REI garage sales, where they sell used gear (usually just tried on and the customer didnt like) for relatively cheap. picked up some asolo boots and some patagonia shorts for like $60 total instead of 200 retail.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 01:55:02 PM »
http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/hop-can-stoves-how-to-make-5-ultralight-bikepacking-stoves/

make yourself one of these, fueled by ethanol, half a litre can last u up to about a week. way lighter when going on longer tracks

Holy shit, that's absolutely awesome.

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 09:25:07 PM »
dryer lint makes a great, easy firestarter,
 put into some plastic film canisters or something waterproof.
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

guest1234

• Rep: 3
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 08:41:08 AM »
you don't need as much as you think if you pack smart.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight/

I'm not saying take all they say as the gospel, but it helps your re-consider what you actually need because after all you do have to carry it all.