Author Topic: Jeff Grosso | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 85  (Read 15089 times)

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Jeff Grosso | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 85
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2018, 04:11:07 PM »
This is good, 15 minutes in and its not just the same ole shit.

Interesting point on how shoe companies would give out to board brands rather than individuals at first

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2018, 04:25:22 PM »
This is good, 15 minutes in and its not just the same ole shit.

Interesting point on how shoe companies would give out to board brands rather than individuals at first

I thought that as well, and maybe I missed something, but when Chris asked for details on the arrangement, something like "would a box show up and you'd all get to choose?", Grosso went on to explain how he was essentially being flowed directly by a Vans.

csb711

• Rep: 2
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2018, 05:48:45 PM »
what was his blue drink? kool aid?

Fecal Fury

• Rep: 60
  • 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2018, 05:52:33 PM »
I always thought he was just bitter and jaded until I met him at an AH demo at my local and he gave my son mad respect for being a mini ripper and knowing who he was.

Out of the entire squad his fat ass was the first out of the van, into the park and into the bowl.

He took to the biggest shit without a sweat and kicked it with the kids for ages after.

Mad respect Jeff, and that episode was fucking great.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2018, 05:55:42 PM »
I tried. Can't do Grosso - old 80's vert pros who are full of themselves are obnoxious. 'I was the best. Nobody could fuck with me. I partied the hardest with the coolest people.'... ok buddy. At least he makes fun of himself here and there. Let us remember this is the guy who brought skateboarding the roast beef air, which pretty much speaks for itself.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2018, 06:47:39 PM »
I always thought he was just bitter and jaded until I met him at an AH demo at my local and he gave my son mad respect for being a mini ripper and knowing who he was.

Out of the entire squad his fat ass was the first out of the van, into the park and into the bowl.

He took to the biggest shit without a sweat and kicked it with the kids for ages after.

You saw him take a shit??

i used to skate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2018, 07:06:36 PM »
I'm also getting tired of the interview format.. I'd like to hear more opinions from their guests about the state of skateboarding today.

i agree the format is stale. but be careful what you wish for. if there's anything i'm less interested than 1st board stories, it's the lukewarm conversations about the pros and cons of instagram again.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2018, 07:56:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
You saw him take a shit??
yah, hey?    The story was going pretty good too
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

csb711

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2018, 08:07:59 PM »

FYI - I watched a little further and it's gatorade and sprite

csb711

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2018, 08:56:31 PM »
what he said about duane was tough to hear. i never really gave it much thought but duane's been sober before, been quasi together and playing shows.
i kinda figured he'd touch back down but maybe his mind is gone for good?
or maybe grosso's wrong.
either way it was kinda scary.

no gifts at the end either

ibraheim718

• Rep: -6
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 09:08:50 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm also getting tired of the interview format.. I'd like to hear more opinions from their guests about the state of skateboarding today.
[close]

i agree the format is stale. but be careful what you wish for. if there's anything i'm less interested than 1st board stories, it's the lukewarm conversations about the pros and cons of instagram again.

I hear you. It's just a lot of the guests they've had on are guys that are followed closely so you hear stories you've already heard before. Or different perspectives about the same time/place you've heard from other people.

I think also more filmers and photographers would be cool. I'd pay to watch an hour long show with Ryan Garshell about what goes on in his present life.

I guess what I'm looking for is more moving conversation.

They barely grazed a good opportunity in this episode when Grosso brought up the unwritten rules of skateboarding.. perfect opportunity to go into that in depth so future generations can understand. That kind of information helps preserve the culture. But it just comes back to the guy asking the questions. Roberts sounds like he follows a template and looks for the same cues in every interview and it makes for a boring conversation unless the guest is someone like Jason dill.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2018, 09:14:48 PM »
what he said about duane was tough to hear. i never really gave it much thought but duane's been sober before, been quasi together and playing shows.
i kinda figured he'd touch back down but maybe his mind is gone for good?
or maybe grosso's wrong.
either way it was kinda scary.

Could have just told us Duane is about to be announced to quasi in their new video.
Grosso is a veteran, he's like gall, nothing can kill them and they have endless amounts of stories.
He talks about drugs like someone who has fully come to terms with his addiction, he knows how bad it is for him and knows how close he is to death anytime he touches it. Very relatable unfortunately.
Favourite comment on youtube "he looks younger then bam"

bawtawd5

• Rep: 134
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2018, 09:39:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

FYI - I watched a little further and it's gatorade and sprite
It's actually faygo grosso is a  juggalo but is very private about it respect to Nine Club for being respectful bout it.

Mr. Fink

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2018, 10:58:23 PM »
It’s funny that the one person he was worried about in the Anti-Hero team vote was TNT.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2018, 11:25:36 PM »
I didn't really know anything about draw so I didn't start skating till 97 almost 98. I guess it's kind of cool I enjoyed the interview but I'm not going to pretend to just being all of these dudes because they were once pro.

I loved the episode though.  Not to be morbid but going off these stories and how they were behaving it's not surprising that one of them killed someone out of anger. Sounds like it could have been any of them on a wild night
where is home?

underknowledge

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2018, 01:17:03 AM »
I tried. Can't do Grosso - old 80's vert pros who are full of themselves are obnoxious. 'I was the best. Nobody could fuck with me. I partied the hardest with the coolest people.'... ok buddy. At least he makes fun of himself here and there. Let us remember this is the guy who brought skateboarding the roast beef air, which pretty much speaks for itself.

So embarrassing, a disgusting old man talking like an ignorant teen girl, saying "fucking" every 3 words trying to seem tough, getting worked up and pointlessly ranting like an idiot and about how and what people should do on a skateboard.

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 24
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2018, 02:21:42 AM »
I can't believe that they didn't ask him about his back/neck/recent health issues.

Yu Dum

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2018, 06:22:33 AM »
I could listen to Grosso talk all day. He’s got a plethora of skateboarding history stored away in his brain and is incredibly knowledgeable on the severity of drug abuse and addiction.
Y’all just don’t know gold when you see it.

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2018, 07:31:19 AM »
i really enjoyed this one. maybe my favorite episode yet.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2018, 08:28:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I hear you. It's just a lot of the guests they've had on are guys that are followed closely so you hear stories you've already heard before. Or different perspectives about the same time/place you've heard from other people.

I think also more filmers and photographers would be cool. I'd pay to watch an hour long show with Ryan Garshell about what goes on in his present life.

I guess what I'm looking for is more moving conversation.

They barely grazed a good opportunity in this episode when Grosso brought up the unwritten rules of skateboarding.. perfect opportunity to go into that in depth so future generations can understand. That kind of information helps preserve the culture. But it just comes back to the guy asking the questions. Roberts sounds like he follows a template and looks for the same cues in every interview and it makes for a boring conversation unless the guest is someone like Jason dill.

That's like 90% of what Grosso's show is about. Them spending more time to discuss it would have just been redundant, as interesting of a subject I think it is.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2018, 08:29:19 AM »
that last 15 or so minutes was great. From the Olympics, up to til the end. Not too many in skateboarding who are open, honest, says what they think and feel, but also admit they may be fucking wrong.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2018, 10:57:32 AM »
Solid episode. It includes all the standard Grossoisms but it's cool to get more in depth discussion about a lot of it. Drugs certainly made him into a real piece of shit, so it's comforting to know that he's made it most of the way back to being a decent human being. I hope he finds some way to enjoy life other than skateboarding so he doesn't relapse in the long run, or worse.

Grosso told me at Tampa Pro one year that he can't have a single beer because he'll wake up naked in a ditch three days later with no memory of how he got there.

I believe him.

sms_b

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2018, 11:57:08 AM »
Plug your dick into the wall?

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2018, 12:10:29 PM »
That was a great story and some shit I'd want to see. Had to have been painful to watch but hilarious

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2018, 05:11:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That was a great story and some shit I'd want to see. Had to have been painful to watch but hilarious
If it was in a video I'm sure it would've been his ender ender.

stendhalian

• Rep: 1
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2018, 05:17:03 PM »

"Unlike Southern California in the 1980’s, which was the epicenter of the skateboarding movement and the industry, Sacramento was an entirely different, gnarlier beast. Bred from mostly lower to middle class families, and fueled by Budweiser and bands like Bl’ast, Fang and Tales Of Terror, Sacto skaters couldn’t give a shit less about the latest pastel ‘street wear’ or gimmicky doo-dad fads being foisted on skate rats in the 80’s. For guys like Randy Katen, Rick Winsor, Snaggle, Troy Clower, Troy Miller, Ronnie Marshall, brothers Randy and Curtis Stauffer, Ross Goodman, and Sam Cunningham (to name a few), skating was all about hanging out, ripping it up and living the life, day-in and day-out"

Cool article on the Sacto scene: http://www.midtownmonthly.net/life/sacto-street-damage/

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2018, 08:31:57 PM »
How are you guys posting instagram videos?  Here is one of the contest on acid where he mentions the stickers on the deck.

I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

madtragic

• Rep: -1
  • Think differently, on purpose
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2018, 09:27:33 PM »
This is the first Nine Club i've listened all the way through. Definitely worth the 2+ hours.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2018, 09:33:19 PM »
Probably one of my favorite ones. Grosso rules.

shark tits

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2018, 02:44:19 AM »
he looked a lot taller in the 80s