Author Topic: Ricky Oyola  (Read 7803 times)

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Re: Ricky Oyola
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 08:03:01 AM »
all of these are timeless classics but fuck how overlooked that Vox clip commonly is. one minute of sheer street shit classic Oyola style, shouldn't be slept on.

shark tits

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 09:06:01 AM »
ricky o is def the most influential skater to me. i can never find it but there's a vid i think watson posted where a car tells him get outta the road and he goes 'get outta the road? you get outta the road'. shit's awesome, he is doing a flatground line over and over w/ i believe a fs flip [outta his normal canon, i know].

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 10:52:14 AM »
The sound of the grind and slide on the 5-0 to bsts is great. Ee3

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 04:43:20 AM »
One of my all time favorites.  Watching him always makes me wanna just grab my board, run out the door and just go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp_lDiODSC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSZnZwbDV3I
best line ever

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 12:32:29 PM »
dude is a legend

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 06:52:49 AM »
I'm a huge Ricky O fan. I bought Via the day my local shop (Threads and Sleds in Haddonfield, NJ RIP) got their copies. The guy behind the counter could see I was pretty stoked and gave me this poster. It's some ninja bearings ad Ricky dropped off at the shop and they gave it to me. The quality of this picture is pretty bad because I took it off an old phone, this poster is still at my parents house. It miraculously survived the great purge of when my parents threw my skate stuff all away and turned my bed room into a guest room as soon as I left for college.

He signed it and wrote, "Keep Skating." The clip is at 1:02 in via

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQl7rfOkg68

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 11:23:43 AM »
I'm a huge Ricky O fan. I bought Via the day my local shop (Threads and Sleds in Haddonfield, NJ RIP) got their copies. The guy behind the counter could see I was pretty stoked and gave me this poster. It's some ninja bearings ad Ricky dropped off at the shop and they gave it to me. The quality of this picture is pretty bad because I took it off an old phone, this poster is still at my parents house. It miraculously survived the great purge of when my parents threw my skate stuff all away and turned my bed room into a guest room as soon as I left for college.

He signed it and wrote, "Keep Skating." The clip is at 1:02 in via

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQl7rfOkg68

Awesome. I lost a good chunk of Thrashers (89-90) during a parent raid. As punishment for getting caught "toking on some reefer" at 14, my dad tossed a bunch of my Thrashers in the trash in front of me. Stole his cigs next day.

ginzberg

• Rep: 20
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 08:15:23 PM »
The first time I had an encounter with Ricky was in 1994 when he kicked a group of us out of Love Park yelling, something to the effect of, “I’ve been skating here 13 fucking years and there are too many people hear so get out of here now”. I don’t even think I knew it was Ricky at the time but who else could it have been looking back. It was my first time at Love and I just assumed locals shut the place down if they wanted to. Never had a problem with him after that and as he began to recognize my crew he was always friendly. He skating with us at our local spot in NJ and was super consistent. Nothing too fancy just like what you see in the videos but everything was clean and done with style. Traffic boards are good wood also—riding one right now...

Not talking Desmares, are you?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 11:44:06 PM »
You know who this is son...

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 06:07:13 AM »
Oyola is easily one of my favourite dudes to ever step on a board.  Even off the board, the stuff he's done has always been impressive. Silverstar and Illuminati were fucking sick. Traffic still kills it.

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 05:50:02 AM »
what width boards were they riding east in the mid 90s? Always noticed the bigger wheels but kinda hard to tell on the decks

shark tits

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 05:56:33 AM »
what width boards were they riding east in the mid 90s? Always noticed the bigger wheels but kinda hard to tell on the decks
8 inches was wide back then. 8.25 was a beast and you had to work for your flip tricks but you got used to it. somehow the industry caught up.

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 07:00:36 AM »
Sweet. Thanks.  8)

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 10:26:49 AM »
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 10:31:22 AM by GardenSkater77 »

animalflesh

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 11:01:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
8 inches was wide back then. 8.25 was a beast and you had to work for your flip tricks but you got used to it. somehow the industry caught up.

Matt had a few 8.5 models

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 06:34:20 AM »
I met Ricky like 12 years ago at some world cup contest in North Carolina. I was with a homie that was skating in it, we all smoked weed out of an apple at the hotel we were staying at, then Ricky got super paranoid and wondered off somewhere. Eventually the cops came to shut down the party at the hotel, the whole hotel was rented out by skateboarders for the contest so we never did figure out who called on us. Anyway we ended up at a waffle house.

Point of the story Ricky was a cool dude. Don't think he entered the contest but was there with some Traffic dudes. Fun weekend.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 06:53:41 PM »
https://youtu.be/lSd7KiZHoFY

A LOT OFF FUCKING SHIT

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Coolguy69

• Rep: 31
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2019, 06:46:42 PM »
Hands down my favorite skater. I still watch his parts pretty regularly before I skate to get stoked. Glad you guys posted some clips I actually haven’t seen before!

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2019, 02:27:10 PM »
Ricky is in my top 3

dogtown

• Rep: -3
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2019, 11:44:55 PM »
ricky was tough and had a lot of raw attitude in relation to a lot of the east coast street skaters

he was pretty inventive at it too

one of the best to do it for sure

Garbagewagon

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2020, 11:07:42 AM »
I roomed with a guy who was a skate photographer back in 2007. I got to watch Ricky skate the shit out of an abandoned car down on Front St. in Philly by the Freda Meats building. “Yo! Get down here! Come watch Rick!”

cant kickflip but can tre

• Rep: 9
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2020, 05:11:54 PM »
http://youtu.be/LIIllLAcZDY

He's EE3 is definitely one of my favorite parts that I watch from time to time
The line at 0:38 is just amazing. Such good style and tricks going down the street... so good

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2020, 05:33:57 AM »
considering my sig, no one will be surprised I'm a fan. Finding out about him and his crew was an eye-opener in the 90's, so much more relatable for a guy living in Paris than the cali schoolyards style of skating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZYgsI-Yuk

I loved his Epicly Later'd even though it was kind of a downer. Reminded me of all those bands who have a cult following like the Ramones but never made a living comfortably.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2020, 10:26:13 PM »
One time driving through Philly some skater comes out of no where and I almost hit him. Was pissed until I realized it was Ricky and he was still out doin his thing. Watching all his old parts make me super nostalgic for a time period I did not skate during.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2020, 06:18:28 AM »
One time at Love (96-98) we were skating the top area and Ricky comes flying up the two from JFK Blvd with enough speed to Ollie the gap. Instead he Ollies over a tourist’s head that was sitting on the edge of the ledge by the three stair and just continues going towards the museum area (N Philly) about as fast as any human could go on a skateboard.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 06:21:27 AM by GardenSkater77 »

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2020, 07:07:57 AM »
Expand Quote

He's EE3 is definitely one of my favorite parts that I watch from time to time
The line at 0:38 is just amazing. Such good style and tricks going down the street... so good
The 360 flip at @ 0:26 is 👌🏻, one of my favorites

Watching this part for the first time taught me that pushing as fast as you can down the street and doing fs 180s was just as cool as being a tech ledge wizard
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2022, 09:03:59 PM »
Never saw this part before tonight. It’s a Static 2 edit w/o Jack, Damian and Rich. Watching this as a single part actually makes the tricks appear even more gnarly. Enjoy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=170&v=qm6YiAgjRyI&feature=emb_logo

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2022, 06:26:51 AM »
Could watch these all day.

Somewhere there is a Mike V quote where he calls Ricky the last true street skater.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2022, 06:25:53 AM »
One time at Love (96-98) we were skating the top area and Ricky comes flying up the two from JFK Blvd with enough speed to Ollie the gap. Instead he Ollies over a tourist’s head that was sitting on the edge of the ledge by the three stair and just continues going towards the museum area (N Philly) about as fast as any human could go on a skateboard.
hahaha, I can imagine him doing that, doesn’t he straight up Ollie up a 6 or 7 stair in his EE3 part?

Speaking of his EE3 part doesn’t anyone know the backstory to when he is skating those underground tunnels and he Ollie of the handrail into that tight bank (Fred gall also had photos at this spot) and it looks like a tin can (?) hits him in the leg? I also wondered if he flipped the can up due to his speed, or whether some bum threw it at him and he was unphased by the whole thing … I’m hoping the later!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year