Author Topic: Ricky Oyola  (Read 1821 times)

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 15
Ricky Oyola
« on: February 19, 2018, 07:53:58 AM »
Best

GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG !

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
Re: Ricky Oyola
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 08:03:01 AM »
all of these are timeless classics but fuck how overlooked that Vox clip commonly is. one minute of sheer street shit classic Oyola style, shouldn't be slept on.

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 08:50:20 AM »
I don't think there is anyone who's parts I have watched more.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:23:30 AM by HATE! »

shark tits

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 09:06:01 AM »
ricky o is def the most influential skater to me. i can never find it but there's a vid i think watson posted where a car tells him get outta the road and he goes 'get outta the road? you get outta the road'. shit's awesome, he is doing a flatground line over and over w/ i believe a fs flip [outta his normal canon, i know].

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 10:52:14 AM »
The sound of the grind and slide on the 5-0 to bsts is great. Ee3

bea!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 04:43:20 AM »
One of my all time favorites.  Watching him always makes me wanna just grab my board, run out the door and just go.

best line ever

Parker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -9
  • chongo
    • tumblr
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 12:32:29 PM »
dude is a legend

Bristol_Palin

• Rep: 40
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 06:52:49 AM »
I'm a huge Ricky O fan. I bought Via the day my local shop (Threads and Sleds in Haddonfield, NJ RIP) got their copies. The guy behind the counter could see I was pretty stoked and gave me this poster. It's some ninja bearings ad Ricky dropped off at the shop and they gave it to me. The quality of this picture is pretty bad because I took it off an old phone, this poster is still at my parents house. It miraculously survived the great purge of when my parents threw my skate stuff all away and turned my bed room into a guest room as soon as I left for college.

He signed it and wrote, "Keep Skating." The clip is at 1:02 in via

GardenSkater77

• Rep: -4
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 11:20:43 AM »
The first time I had an encounter with Ricky was in 1994 when he kicked a group of us out of Love Park yelling, something to the effect of, “I’ve been skating here 13 fucking years and there are too many people hear so get out of here now”. I don’t even think I knew it was Ricky at the time but who else could it have been looking back. It was my first time at Love and I just assumed locals shut the place down if they wanted to. Never had a problem with him after that and as he began to recognize my crew he was always friendly. He skating with us at our local spot in NJ and was super consistent. Nothing too fancy just like what you see in the videos but everything was clean and done with style. Traffic boards are good wood also—riding one right now...

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 11:23:43 AM »
I'm a huge Ricky O fan. I bought Via the day my local shop (Threads and Sleds in Haddonfield, NJ RIP) got their copies. The guy behind the counter could see I was pretty stoked and gave me this poster. It's some ninja bearings ad Ricky dropped off at the shop and they gave it to me. The quality of this picture is pretty bad because I took it off an old phone, this poster is still at my parents house. It miraculously survived the great purge of when my parents threw my skate stuff all away and turned my bed room into a guest room as soon as I left for college.

He signed it and wrote, "Keep Skating." The clip is at 1:02 in via

Awesome. I lost a good chunk of Thrashers (89-90) during a parent raid. As punishment for getting caught "toking on some reefer" at 14, my dad tossed a bunch of my Thrashers in the trash in front of me. Stole his cigs next day.

ginzberg

• Rep: 7
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 08:15:23 PM »
The first time I had an encounter with Ricky was in 1994 when he kicked a group of us out of Love Park yelling, something to the effect of, “I’ve been skating here 13 fucking years and there are too many people hear so get out of here now”. I don’t even think I knew it was Ricky at the time but who else could it have been looking back. It was my first time at Love and I just assumed locals shut the place down if they wanted to. Never had a problem with him after that and as he began to recognize my crew he was always friendly. He skating with us at our local spot in NJ and was super consistent. Nothing too fancy just like what you see in the videos but everything was clean and done with style. Traffic boards are good wood also—riding one right now...

Not talking Desmares, are you?

GardenSkater77

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 11:44:06 PM »
You know who this is son...

TD

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 06:07:13 AM »
Oyola is easily one of my favourite dudes to ever step on a board.  Even off the board, the stuff he's done has always been impressive. Silverstar and Illuminati were fucking sick. Traffic still kills it.
a dad gut helps you go faster on transition.

Crip politics are convoluted on some Tolkein shit.

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 05:50:02 AM »
what width boards were they riding east in the mid 90s? Always noticed the bigger wheels but kinda hard to tell on the decks

shark tits

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 05:56:33 AM »
what width boards were they riding east in the mid 90s? Always noticed the bigger wheels but kinda hard to tell on the decks
8 inches was wide back then. 8.25 was a beast and you had to work for your flip tricks but you got used to it. somehow the industry caught up.

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 07:00:36 AM »
Sweet. Thanks.  8)