Author Topic: Spot/park APPS. Travel buddies.  (Read 1916 times)

B. Hopper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Spot/park APPS. Travel buddies.
« on: February 19, 2018, 01:30:03 PM »
I travel a ton for work. Curious if there are any apps worth a shit that give you the lowdown on parks/spots/skate shops/ etc etc...

I've gone thru the Apple App store and found some but they all pretty much suck.

Curious if there are any that are less obvious but that are fairly worthwhile/comprehensive.

Or other websites besides the usuals that come up via Google?

Also, any other online spots besides this board where other traveling skaters can meet up and coordinate while out on adventure?

44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
Re: Spot/park APPS. Travel buddies.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 01:43:19 PM »
Yeah dude, it's called the local skate shop.

B. Hopper

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 04:29:26 PM »

Thanks for being helpful.

dude.

44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 04:40:20 PM »

Don't know what an APP is beatifk? Skate shop is an obvious option, but being an out of towner going into a shop asking for their best street spots often results in getting vibed out and directed to the local park.
Sometimes dudes at the shop want to keep the gems to themselves and the locs who deserve to skate it, not nosey out of towners looking for their best shit. 

I always just look up instagram accounts for the city that I am in. like @sfskatespots or something similar is what I used while in SF. There are apps for them but they all generally suck like you said.

B. Hopper

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 05:19:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't know what an APP is beatifk? Skate shop is an obvious option, but being an out of towner going into a shop asking for their best street spots often results in getting vibed out and directed to the local park.
Sometimes dudes at the shop want to keep the gems to themselves and the locs who deserve to skate it, not nosey out of towners looking for their best shit. 

I always just look up instagram accounts for the city that I am in. like @sfskatespots or something similar is what I used while in SF. There are apps for them but they all generally suck like you said.

Insta..good idea..I never thought of using it that way. Thanks for a positive contribution and actually reading the OP ;)

beatifk

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 10:43:05 PM »
Sorry if my reply was snide...

But, there is something a little fucked up for someone to show up in some town and just expect all of the good spots to be mapped out for you and you can just show up and don't need to interact with any of the locals at any time.

I've never gone to a skateshop and just simply said "hey, where's the spots?" but if you treat the shop staff like a friend or even like a fellow human, they will always help out. I've been in skateshops all over the world, and even if we don't even speak the same language, acting like a decent person will go a long way. They might not point me toward the secret ditch spot or the crazy abandoned pool, but if you treat people with respect they'll do the same. And you should respect their right to keep some spots to themselves. And buy something from the shop, a cap or a tshirt even if you don't need it, skateshops are almost always a passion project of the owner and they need all the cash they can get.

I just think it's important part of it all, the human interaction between us. People show up to a spot with earbuds in, do a few tricks then leave without saying a word to anyone and that makes them seem like a dick. We're all in this together guys.

B. Hopper

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 08:08:19 AM »
Nice. Act like a dick then give dad advice on how to treat people with respect.

Orrrrr fuck off. That works too right?

beatifk

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 10:12:58 AM »
touchy.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 10:31:22 AM »

But, there is something a little fucked up for someone to show up in some town and just expect all of the good spots to be mapped out for you and you can just show up and don't need to interact with any of the locals at any time.

I've never gone to a skateshop and just simply said "hey, where's the spots?" but if you treat the shop staff like a friend or even like a fellow human, they will always help out. I've been in skateshops all over the world, and even if we don't even speak the same language, acting like a decent person will go a long way. They might not point me toward the secret ditch spot or the crazy abandoned pool, but if you treat people with respect they'll do the same. And you should respect their right to keep some spots to themselves. And buy something from the shop, a cap or a tshirt even if you don't need it, skateshops are almost always a passion project of the owner and they need all the cash they can get.

I just think it's important part of it all, the human interaction between us. People show up to a spot with earbuds in, do a few tricks then leave without saying a word to anyone and that makes them seem like a dick. We're all in this together guys.

Never doubted or discredited the value of a skateshop. We all know the importance of supporting the local shops, that's not the question he's asking though. Dudes at the shop aren't obligated to give you their spots, but of course being a decent/respectful person will go a long way.

Sometimes you don't feel like talking with people though, you just want to show up in a new city and go skate. I am with the human interaction once at the spot , but sometimes a stop at the shop isn't needed. That's OK. We all still love skateshops.

With you on the earbuds though that shit's lame.

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 11:48:27 AM »
I have spent an embarrasing amount of time on Google Maps tracking down spots. It's pretty fun and easy in the internet age. Basically you just look for any identifier in a shot- street signs are obvious but a real good one is business signs. This works great in cities but unfortunately not so well for stuff like school yards.

Barcelona's skate app is very legit. I used it the whole time I was there.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

coneklr

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 07:28:43 PM »
I don't have a shit ton of free time right now with the baby on the way and looking for a new job, but I'm fucking around with React and need an app to use it on ... if I can make time for this what would everyone like to see?  Also if it was awesome would you be willing to spend money on it?  Not that I'd necessarily charge pals but if it was put out there for public consumption.  Maybe I should make a new thread on this ( or was there one in the past? )

B. Hopper

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 07:07:27 PM »
touchy.

Actually no, not at all. You sound like a dick and got called out on it. Don't try and turn it around that it's me that's "touchy". I'm not the only one that noticed.

B. Hopper

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 07:10:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Never doubted or discredited the value of a skateshop. We all know the importance of supporting the local shops, that's not the question he's asking though. Dudes at the shop aren't obligated to give you their spots, but of course being a decent/respectful person will go a long way.

Sometimes you don't feel like talking with people though, you just want to show up in a new city and go skate. I am with the human interaction once at the spot , but sometimes a stop at the shop isn't needed. That's OK. We all still love skateshops.

With you on the earbuds though that shit's lame.

I travel a LOT. Mostly driving. I work late into the a.m. Most shops aren't open at 2 a.m., it's dark, you're tired and on a tight schedule. Driving around aimlessly hunting spots is not an option. When I have free time it'd be nice if technology could be a benefit.

sn00p

• Rep: 25
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 02:04:18 PM »
i use the app skate savant when my friends and I travel. it doesnt have every city but there’s a lot of bigger ones on there. and a pretty decent amount of spots for each city. it has definitely come in handy for me in the past. its worth checking out at least.

B. Hopper

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 04:52:47 PM »
i use the app skate savant when my friends and I travel. it doesnt have every city but there’s a lot of bigger ones on there. and a pretty decent amount of spots for each city. it has definitely come in handy for me in the past. its worth checking out at least.

Will do. Thanks!

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 12:14:40 PM »

I second Skate Savant. Best one out there.

B. Hopper

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 10:37:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I second Skate Savant. Best one out there.

I checked it out. Unfortunately it doesn't really cover the states I travel to regularly. I'll keep it on hand though just in case.