Author Topic: Falling/Slamming/Biffing/Beefing/Casing/Bailing/Wrecking/Busting/Munsoning out/  (Read 4339 times)

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
Last nite outside my crib, I saw a lady slip on some ice, had enough time to put her arms and legs underneath her, landed on all fours, which were protected by a 3/4 length bubblegoose, mittens & boots. Still, she howled more than the grape lady and sob-cried for nearly 10 minutes, needed 4 people and eventually a blanket to regain her status quo, when she got up and walked away, no limping.

It reminded me of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cxrpwb8oxg
@ :24
when Rudy says "the way we slam: most people have 4 of those in their entire life"

I think in that moment she showed something about her psyche that had never matured: the fright of the unknown from falling, mixed with the fright of losing face? She for real cried non-stop until someone came to her aid, like a sucka.

I have faced all my shit on my own, when I fall, I don't look for help. If I scream, it's for my own benefit.
Falling while skateboarding has helped me realize (in life) shit can happen out of nowhere.
It's always awkward to see someone in the rain that doesn't know that niggas can get wet.
"I hope that didn't go over your head"- Cassanova 2x
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0SK8I449nc

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:05:56 AM by Jehoshaphat Augustus »
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

SOTY

I'm afraid to lose the youthful spark it takes to do something as dangerous and pointless as skateboarding a lot more than all the slams coming my way. I can see what Rudy's saying about having a slight ninja advantage over non-skaters, but I'm sure gymnasts, free runners, etc. develop similar skills. We're far from the only hobbyists taking slams. Maybe the lady you saw biff was just poosy?

I burst out laughing when he said once you become a skater racism is outta there!

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:42:41 AM by SOTY »

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
Rudy seems to be a pretty special guy.
When he heard Stacy put him on Powell out of sympathy, Rudy said he felt honored.
would that honor you?

And yea, that lady deff. could have suffered from fibromyalgia or something (poosy)
I'm poosy too, I hate getting fucked up, and as of lately, I don't have health insurance. I get equal parts of instant feelings of anger, fright, and inconvenience whenever I fold my fuckin ankles, which is always a bi-annual occasion, if not luckier.

I just do what I gotta do: scream, pick my shoe up, etc, buttboard back to the car, and dreadfully dream about my sure-to-be dull immediate future.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
I think a big thing with normal folk isn't really that they can't take a fall, but they often don't know how to fall. A lot of people will slip forward and then just fully extend their arm and take the entire impact into their wrist, and especially if it's an older person that shit will just snap on the spot. Obviously having that skill isn't specific to skateboarding, but imagine if your mother violently slipped out on a painted curb and went down. Some pretty casual falls on a skateboard could be straight up tragic for a middle aged person who isn't athletic.

SOTY

I think a big thing with normal folk isn't really that they can't take a fall, but they often don't know how to fall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QLWM4_qaLE

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
I'm sure gymnasts, free runners, etc. develop similar skills.

My next door neighbor in college that said he did that shit and he ate shit running across a street in the rain once. Couldn't believe I saw a grown man cry from skinning his knee...

SOTY

Expand Quote
[close]

My next door neighbor in college that said he did that shit and he ate shit running across a street in the rain once. Couldn't believe I saw a grown man cry from skinning his knee...
Perhaps poosy?

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Perhaps poosy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzC8Hyc_s-s

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Skaters:
A flow dude your a fan of doesn't say thanks or make eye-contact when your hand him back his board: UPSET FOR THE DAY, WHAT A FUCKING DICK

Huck, a long ass ollie going fast as fuck coming off a downhill, wheelbite, go flying and literally slide on your bare knee and elbow for 5 feet or more: Laugh

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
I make fun of my gf when she says the word biff lol.

SJ

Huck, a long ass ollie going fast as fuck coming off a downhill, wheelbite, go flying and literally slide on your bare knee and elbow for 5 feet or more: Laugh

Too relatable. Whenever i eat shit on a hill bomb and grind off flesh on asphalt i lay there for a second, smile, and laugh. Because nothing makes you feel more alive than fucking yourself up in the pursuit of gnar. Well...except maybe your first dose of heroin.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
Somehow the bit from 3:27-4:14 gets me so hyped to go out and fuckin get some
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am3pP6CW_S4

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
personal favorite type of slam is the one with so much momentum (or on a low-to-high type of spot) that it sends you flying for long enough time that you actually start to appreciate it ; when something in your brain finds the time to click and actually register what is happening so you find yourself thinking 'ok, in about half a second I'm going to eat the worst shit, but right now I'm flying and feeling pretty comfortable'. bonus points when you don't even get hurt on the slam, turning the situation into some mundane win-win scenario.

as opposed to how I find the worst slams to be the ones that happen so quickly you aren't prepared.

I feel a bit corny talking about skate slams on the internet. in a way it's like, they're slams. you don't talk about them, you just take them.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
  slams  i dunno I've had some bad ones.  The worst is going stiff on tranny and doing the whipper to full body slap (backside ollie over hip above coping, I started to learn them and then died).  I've hyper extended my spine on a slam.  I hold back on my board now compared to b4 a little bit.  Some stuff I would have been about doing now I say to myself "too old fuck it"   And about 5 concussions from skating alone.
  edit.  the best slams in skateboarding can all be seen in Dan Pertika's skate part.  Rad dude.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:09:17 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
Something invigorating about escaping a slam that you thought was gonna be painful or a catastrophe. It's like "hell yeah, my body can still take this shit and I am OK" Even if it hurt a little but you are all good and can continue skating, that's the shit.
Took a slam last night where I tried to wallie the box at local park coming out of a launch, got wheelbite on the landing and flew forward just enough to land in the other ramp and slide down it like a slide. Those ones are fun.

SJ

I just broke my femur yesterday doing a routine drop in in a bowl I've dropped plenty of times in before (Fremont skatepark) holy shit this pain is fucked.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
I just broke my femur yesterday doing a routine drop in in a bowl I've dropped plenty of times in before (Fremont skatepark) holy shit this pain is fucked.
Fuck dude, I wouldn't wish a broken femur on my worst enemy. Speedy recovery dude.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Bumpovertrash

Im not trying to break bones but a good slam puts you in check one of the best parts of skating

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
Best falls are when you're fucking around and you totally deserve them.

I was getting a quick sesh in a few hours ago with a friend and we were doing manuals on an "invisible" box. I ollied wayy higher than needed, came down on the back truck so hard and slipped out so hard. We both laughed pretty hard at it.
(Cool Trick GIF)

nooky

• Rep: 9
got slamdaddy'd so hard today. shout to all my young uniques out there getting slapped by the streets
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.