Author Topic: Back Pain  (Read 650 times)

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
Back Pain
« on: February 24, 2018, 10:56:49 PM »
Newcomer to the back pain scene and hoping for some suggestions on how to deal/cope with this.  Woke up feeling a little stiff this morning and by the end of the day I couldn't stand up straight.  Is this something that just happens as you age? I'm 26 and thought I was in fairly good shape/health before today.  Thanks for any input or advice.
*I know there's probably been dozens of threads on this but I couldn't find anything(search function is garbage),  would greatly appreciate any links to old threads*
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Back Pain
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 12:14:41 PM »
lower back? does it run down your leg?

im roughy your age and thought i was in alright shape but ive had back problems for years

coneklr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 163
  • Who is neg repping me fuckers :)
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 01:24:03 PM »
That is about the time it started with me and I was in the best shape of my life.  I will tell you how I handled it ( not that it is the right way so I'm not saying take my advice, it's just what I've done )

First time it went out ... mid 20s ... scary as shit, I thought I was paralyzed from the waist down ( realized later after a couple more experiences of varying levels of pain that I wasn't paralyzed, it was just my body could not deal with the intense pain any movement was causing and I was in shock ) as I couldn't move my legs for 30 min and friends called an ambulance.  Get the the hospital and they have me on a stretcher in the hall.  After 30-40 min a nurse comes by and asks what happened and if I can move, I tell her it just felt like my back shifted and I was in intense pain and couldn't move for about 30 but now I can move but am in extreme pain when I do.  She leaves and comes back 5 min later with Tylenol and codeine and says she'll be back in a bit.  She comes back a bit later and I tell her I'm still in pain, she proceeds to give me more pain meds and tells me, I shit you not, "When you can walk, you can leave".  I was blown the fuck away.  From that moment on I vowed I'd never waste a shit ton of money going back to the hospital for this again ( which is probably very dumb of me )

So there have been a couple other times this has happened, to varying degrees and never really as bad as the first but the other pretty bad time was ridiculous.  I moved a 20lb box, set it down and when I went to stand back up it just shifted and went out.  I was lucky my gf at the time took care of me for the 2 weeks I was on the couch in pain, mostly just getting up to hit the bathroom and for the first few days biting down on a washcloth on the walk up the stairs to the bath room because any shift in my back would instantly create the worst pain I could tolerate.  Anyways, it eventually subsided and life went back to normal again minus this constant feeling of a pressure in my lower back.

Years of 1-2 trips to chiro/massage per week and some yoga and trying to stay in decent shape and I'm pretty good most days.  I still eat an edible before bed a lot of nights ( I don't get to enjoy the head high as it comes on while I'm sleeping but the body high is there in the morning which is when your back will usually feel the worst, so this works perfectly and keeps you off rx meds )  and knock on wood I've been pretty good for a while now.  Just know when it comes to skating that the jumping down big shit is most likely done unless you are willing to take that risk ( although 3 of the 4 times I've had a bad episode was doing something small so I may just be being overly protective but that is where I am comfortable ) but I've still been skating and doing everything I used to do, I just don't risk big shit or tricks that really tweak my back these days to try to be preventative and I always stop for the day at the first sign of any weird feelings down there.

Sorry for the long post and for your pain!  I hope you find what works for you!
Heaven

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 01:41:32 PM »
Thanks for the responses Paco & Coneklr. I'm going to really pursue stretching/yoga/core strengthening going forward and hopefully try to ease back into skating over time. I'm mainly worried about getting through work this week. Also I found an earlier thread that had some useful suggestions:
http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85645.msg2329927#msg2329927
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Second Division

• Rep: -4
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 03:05:50 PM »
I've had back pain for a few years now, and have found that a combo of PT and yoga really helped. When it first happened, I saw a chiropractor for a few weeks and that got me back on my feet/moving, but PT really got me back to about 85%. After a while of PT, they kicked me out because it wasn't getting better, so I semi-reluctantly started doing yoga, (great decision though) and haven't stopped since. I probably do it once a week now, and more when my back is flaring up. I personally just use videos on youtube in my apartment rather than going to a place, but either way, I definitely recommend trying it.

Grind King Rims

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • They really work!
    • Amaze your friends!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 07:07:35 AM »
Thanks for the responses Paco & Coneklr. I'm going to really pursue stretching/yoga/core strengthening going forward and hopefully try to ease back into skating over time. I'm mainly worried about getting through work this week. Also I found an earlier thread that had some useful suggestions:
http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85645.msg2329927#msg2329927

Started doing the yoga for lower back routine in this thread and it's helped me loads.

"Strictly for the culture" - Brian Wenning 2017

Tongue punching the Life Gnar button since 2011.