Author Topic: Jerry Hsu | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 88  (Read 15596 times)

IHOP

Re: Jerry Hsu | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 88
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2018, 11:15:09 PM »
since this thread is making complaints about nine club... they have the least diverse guests, feels like they're kinda pandering to californians. I'm European though, so guess I can't relate/give a shit about Americans getting sponsored by their local shop. still listen to their podcast though

i mean, the studio is in california, and there are a lot of legendary california skaters...

Shitbag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2018, 03:45:01 AM »
Jerry going deep on Lil' Shmatty's Instagram.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2018, 03:53:56 AM »
Expand Quote
since this thread is making complaints about nine club... they have the least diverse guests, feels like they're kinda pandering to californians. I'm European though, so guess I can't relate/give a shit about Americans getting sponsored by their local shop. still listen to their podcast though
[close]

In one sense I agree about the diversity but it's kinda wild they've still only had one woman (Nora) on the show and one (Alexis Sablone) do a fifteen minute spot on the experience.

It looks like they pick people who people are asking them to interview...and lets be honest there probably aren't that many women skaters that watch the show, and didnt Noras interview drop around the same time Vanessa Torres was talking about Street League gender pay gap?

curbsmash

• Rep: 0
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2018, 12:41:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

In one sense I agree about the diversity but it's kinda wild they've still only had one woman (Nora) on the show and one (Alexis Sablone) do a fifteen minute spot on the experience.
[close]

It looks like they pick people who people are asking them to interview...and lets be honest there probably aren't that many women skaters that watch the show, and didnt Noras interview drop around the same time Vanessa Torres was talking about Street League gender pay gap?

They probably are still probably working through a backlog of people that have asked them, sure, but you'd hope at some point they'll pick up on the increasing market and narratability of female skaters since it would likely expand their audience. Jerry's great but, like people have said, it was basically the same shit he said on The Bunt, harping on the storm flip, etc. Even if it's not their main audience (which, really, who knows? Probably not their main audience but I wouldn't assume an inconsequential amount of female skaters are listening to the show), I'd much rather hear from Elissa or Lacey Baker or even someone more up-and-coming like Nicole Hause or Allysha Le or someone more behind the scenes like Mimi Knoop over Jon Buscemi or a rehashing of the same interview Jerry or Nyjah has given countless times before.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2018, 01:15:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

They probably are still probably working through a backlog of people that have asked them, sure, but you'd hope at some point they'll pick up on the increasing market and narratability of female skaters since it would likely expand their audience. Jerry's great but, like people have said, it was basically the same shit he said on The Bunt, harping on the storm flip, etc. Even if it's not their main audience (which, really, who knows? Probably not their main audience but I wouldn't assume an inconsequential amount of female skaters are listening to the show), I'd much rather hear from Elissa or Lacey Baker or even someone more up-and-coming like Nicole Hause or Allysha Le or someone more behind the scenes like Mimi Knoop over Jon Buscemi or a rehashing of the same interview Jerry or Nyjah has given countless times before.

The best interviews are with skate industry legends, or legendary pros - not up and coming ams or average pros. Elissa might have some interesting shit to say, though she hasn't been relevant in skating since the 90s's, and her career was very short lived. She's also been interviewed so much over the years that it would be hard to not rehash all the same topics (toy machine, piss drunx, surfing, being a girl skater etc). Once the ladies have been in the game for a long time and earned some legend status, get em' on for sure. Nora's was boring and forgettable. The key to an interesting episode is a long and exciting career, mixed with a strong personality - not talking about how you were the only girl skating with a crew of boys at the Walmart just 4 years ago.

Surf-goth

• Rep: -676
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2018, 01:25:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

What are you trying to prove by pretending to care?
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

curbsmash

• Rep: 0
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2018, 01:29:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
What are you trying to prove by pretending to care?

Not pretending to care about anything. They can choose to mix up the guest pool or not; I'd listen either way. But some of these episodes (as people have said) have been pretty boring and maybe hearing from someone with a different perspective would help mix things up a bit.

That said, you seem oddly offended by the idea of wanting a slightly more diverse set of guests. Weird, but whatever.

UserFame

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -159
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2018, 02:06:47 PM »
Tom Penny should be a very interesting interview...if they have the balls to ask him the right questions...but yeah, it might never happen because he lives in Barça and the Nine Club studios are in Cali.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3288
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2018, 02:23:38 PM »
Jerry going deep on Lil' Shmatty's Instagram.

Lil' Schmatty: Balls Deep

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2018, 02:24:02 PM »
Tom Penny should be a very interesting interview...if they have the balls to ask him the right questions...but yeah, it might never happen because he lives in Barça and the Nine Club studios are in Cali.

I haven't heard Tom have a conversation lately, but I'll bet geography is the least of the obstacles that would have to be overcome for him to provide an entertaining interview on this show.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2018, 03:59:41 PM »

Have you ever read a Tom Penny interview? Answers are five words are less. Legend, yes, but you want to talk about a boring episode...

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2018, 07:57:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have you ever read a Tom Penny interview? Answers are five words are less. Legend, yes, but you want to talk about a boring episode...
  I liked his transworld legends interview.   hes speaking 6 languages and gets around - I think his perspective is worth the time for the interviewer to have a  'stfu  and let the dude speak' type of interview
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:00:35 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2018, 12:23:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Even if it's not their main audience (which, really, who knows? Probably not their main audience but I wouldn't assume an inconsequential amount of female skaters are listening to the show
All this time I've been under the impression that this show's main audience was skateboarders. Gender of the guests is irrelevant. More women on the show would be great.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2018, 12:59:27 AM »
is it a coincidence, that Jerry's
blog was called 'nazigold', and
now is on 9club in episode 88?

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2018, 01:09:21 AM »
is it a coincidence, that Jerry's
blog was called 'nazigold', and
now is on 9club in episode 88?

he was riding for chocolate, which is brown.
its getting more and more obvious.

a tragic.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2018, 07:04:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
  I liked his transworld legends interview.   hes speaking 6 languages and gets around - I think his perspective is worth the time for the interviewer to have a  'stfu  and let the dude speak' type of interview

I remember a Thrasher interview a few years ago. Rowley interviewed him and the questions were each a paragraph long, followed by super short, one-sentence answers. It was a bummer.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2018, 07:10:10 AM »
wait, what did Jerry say about Magenta?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Yu Dum

« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2018, 08:03:27 AM »
I usually can’t sit through these due to Kelly’s laugh and Crob’s lack of conversation with actual substance, but I loved this one.

Jerry’s consistently sarcastic rebuttals made me laugh way more than every other guest aside from maybe Grosso, AO, or Steve Olson.

I had no idea that Chocolate let Jerry go through a fucking Instagram story. So much for paying respect to someone who most likely helped their company through their biggest slump prior to their current financial instability.
I already knew Crailtap couldn’t be trusted, but to treat someone as well-respected in the industry as Jerry like some flow kid is a massive slap to the face.
TL;DR: Jerry and his sarcasm are incredible, and Crailtap can suck my dick from the back.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:06:16 AM by Blind Fisherman »

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2018, 08:25:51 AM »
i thought jerry quit
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2018, 08:28:52 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BelZkZZhjfr/?hl=en&taken-by=thenutdailynews

The quality of the show is entirely dependent on the ability of the guest to tell stories... Crob just needs to get out of the way. Jamie Thomas was the best at it. Marc Johnson was great as well. I found Mike Carroll's vocal fry and complete lack of energy just intolerable. Jerry was somewhere in the middle, worth a listen (podcast during the commute).

The complete lack of knowledge about skate history and industry by Crob is always surprising.
They also need to get Kelly out of there. The guy adds nothing and his "Dude, Bro"s are embarrassing.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

fongool

• Rep: 94
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2018, 08:42:21 AM »
I had no idea that Chocolate let Jerry go through a fucking Instagram story. So much for paying respect to someone who most likely helped their company through their biggest slump prior to their current financial instability.
I already knew Crailtap couldn’t be trusted, but to treat someone as well-respected in the industry as Jerry like some flow kid is a massive slap to the face.
TL;DR: Jerry and his sarcasm are incredible, and Crailtap can suck my dick from the back.

Where are you guys coming up with this shit??? It's completely contradictory to what Jerry himself says in this very interview. He specifically says he quit -- Chocolate just made their public announcement to the world via IG story.

Yu Dum

« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2018, 08:56:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Where are you guys coming up with this shit??? It's completely contradictory to what Jerry himself says in this very interview. He specifically says he quit -- Chocolate just made their public announcement to the world via IG story.
I guess I wasn’t paying close enough attention to that part of the interview. I retract my statement about them disrespecting Jerry, but Crailtap still sucks dog shit.

sms_b

« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2018, 09:47:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I vote Megan Fucking Baltimore. Could you imagine if she decided to dish it out? Whole childhoods could be ruined as a result.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2018, 11:11:04 AM »
Yeah, make Megan B happen. That would be a great episode!

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2018, 11:18:12 AM »
Megan knows everything about world and crail I don't think skateboarding could handle her getting an episode

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2018, 11:26:06 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BelZkZZhjfr/?hl=en&taken-by=thenutdailynews

The quality of the show is entirely dependent on the ability of the guest to tell stories... Crob just needs to get out of the way. Jamie Thomas was the best at it. Marc Johnson was great as well. I found Mike Carroll's vocal fry and complete lack of energy just intolerable. Jerry was somewhere in the middle, worth a listen (podcast during the commute).

The complete lack of knowledge about skate history and industry by Crob is always surprising.
They also need to get Kelly out of there. The guy adds nothing and his "Dude, Bro"s are embarrassing.

I would imagine a lot of the time he is just playing dumb to get the person to talk.  He one time asked where Huntington Beach was
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

ungzilla

« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2018, 11:29:35 AM »
megan baltimore should have a chromeball, because no one wants to read the bitch fest in the subsequent 9club thread about the distinct lack of hard-hitting journalism in said hypothetical episode

UserFame

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -159
« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2018, 01:18:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yes!

and dude must have had really interesting life, at 40 years old he lives a skater dream life, chillin in Barça...

I would really like to hear about his drug stories, I have heard he was on meth most of the mid 90s California shredding.

Tom, if you or anyone connected to you is reading this, pass him this message, and prove these nerds you are far more interesting and more intelligent than these souless, boring pseudo-edgy modern day skaters.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------