Author Topic: Jerry Hsu | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 88  (Read 15600 times)

ShyLow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 50
Re: Jerry Hsu | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 88
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »
There needs to be a better SK8 podcast with the same guests. Too much corny laughter and amazed at every word type shit. Just have a convo and react like a curious human.

badfomyhealth

• Rep: 7
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 04:51:37 PM »
"maybe a nine club collab in the future?"
@ every guest with a side project

Badformyhealth is a severe alcoholic, confirmed.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2018, 05:05:25 PM »
I didn't realize until this episode that he is actually off Chocolate
they let him go via a fucking Instagram story

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2018, 05:11:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Once in awhile, the bro vibe of this show bothers the shit out of me. I knew they would not talk about him leaving Chocolate and that's exactly what happened. This was especially boring for a skater that I really admire.
[close]

I have not watched this episode, but in general, agreed. I find it strange they seem to take pride in doing little to no prep for guests. Roger and Kelly know their stuff, but it usually comes out as a reaction to what the guest says, not as the source of questions and conversation.

I can't remember who it was, but something along the lines of the Nine Club creating an online archive of skate history was said on the show at some point. To me, that's Chromeball Incident, which probably has the most consistently nerd-friendly, detailed, and novel interviews relative other skate media. Imagine if Chops released audio for those?
[close]

CRob sucks as an interviewer, yet is constantly praising himself and the show. It's the most annoying thing ever. I don't understand how they can put all this work into shooting the show, editing it, pulling out related memorabilia for guests, etc. and then do absolutely zero research for the actual conversation. Time and time again CRob shows how ignorant and basic he is (constantly praising Amazon, not understanding net profits, asking someone whose last name is Dill why they're called "Pickle," etc.) all while thinking he's the Howard Stern of skateboarding interviews.
[close]

It's as if a semi-relevant professional skater with a dwindling career decided to start a podcast despite having absolutely no background in entertainment, broadcasting, or interviewing. I never would have guessed that he would perform so poorly.

I'm not listening to this. Does Jerry have a new board sponsor or what?

Perfect encapsulation of 9 Club. This is why the quality of episodes varies so wildly - it's entirely a function of the ability of the guest to weave stories.

Occasionally questions will prod the guest in an interesting direction but it seems like it's wholly by accident.

krookedjuice

• Rep: 29
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2018, 05:30:00 PM »
Boys of Summer was a sleeper video of 2015, really enjoyed that one. Super laid back, STACKED cast (probably one of the best ever), great soundtrack.. what else could you want? Andrew Allen closing it out with Band on the Run was classic, Gino's Gardere line at the end of the FA part, Olson kicking it off with a surprising amount of stuff, and they mixed all sorts of footage formats (mostly iPhone with fisheye adaptors but also VX, DSLR, HVX, etc) but somehow it worked. Looking forward to the sequel.

Also where can I get some Sci-Fantasy gear?

i've been wondering this since he came out with it.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2018, 05:49:25 PM »
pretty much the same interview that I heard in the the Bunt.

wish the show would stop relying on the "we dont research cuz that's lame" vibe.  it does NOTHING for the culture to have the same interview over and over and over again
hardly art, hardly starving

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2018, 06:11:11 PM »
i could only listen for like a minute--crob + jer are just TOO FUCKIN' HIGH-ENERGY

geneparmesan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2018, 06:15:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Once in awhile, the bro vibe of this show bothers the shit out of me. I knew they would not talk about him leaving Chocolate and that's exactly what happened. This was especially boring for a skater that I really admire.
[close]

I have not watched this episode, but in general, agreed. I find it strange they seem to take pride in doing little to no prep for guests. Roger and Kelly know their stuff, but it usually comes out as a reaction to what the guest says, not as the source of questions and conversation.

I can't remember who it was, but something along the lines of the Nine Club creating an online archive of skate history was said on the show at some point. To me, that's Chromeball Incident, which probably has the most consistently nerd-friendly, detailed, and novel interviews relative other skate media. Imagine if Chops released audio for those?
[close]

CRob sucks as an interviewer, yet is constantly praising himself and the show. It's the most annoying thing ever. I don't understand how they can put all this work into shooting the show, editing it, pulling out related memorabilia for guests, etc. and then do absolutely zero research for the actual conversation. Time and time again CRob shows how ignorant and basic he is (constantly praising Amazon, not understanding net profits, asking someone whose last name is Dill why they're called "Pickle," etc.) all while thinking he's the Howard Stern of skateboarding interviews.
[close]

It's as if a semi-relevant professional skater with a dwindling career decided to start a podcast despite having absolutely no background in entertainment, broadcasting, or interviewing. I never would have guessed that he would perform so poorly.

[close]

Perfect encapsulation of 9 Club. This is why the quality of episodes varies so wildly - it's entirely a function of the ability of the guest to weave stories.

Occasionally questions will prod the guest in an interesting direction but it seems like it's wholly by accident.

The thing that bothers me the most is that it's not as if Crob would actually have to do a whole lot of work when it comes to research. All he would have to do is ask the dude sitting next to him for some info. His co-host is seriously a fountain of skate knowledge, but for the most part is treated like an on-air fact checker. If Chops or Brink stepped up and did a similar show they could take these guys out in a heartbeat.

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2018, 06:32:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The thing that bothers me the most is that it's not as if Crob would actually have to do a whole lot of work when it comes to research. All he would have to do is ask the dude sitting next to him for some info. His co-host is seriously a fountain of skate knowledge, but for the most part is treated like an on-air fact checker. If Chops or Brink stepped up and did a similar show they could take these guys out in a heartbeat.

The Nine Club is much, much better than the Weekend Buzz. Not even comparable. And CBI is great but part of that is it's format, it wouldn't translate to video podcast.

Nine Club is the best thing in skate media right now by far (outside of skating) and it is completely free. Gotta love the armchair producers in here complaining about shit.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2018, 06:37:35 PM »
9 club puts out some great stuff but it gets frustrating when they drop the ball like this

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2018, 06:38:17 PM »
Expand Quote
pretty much the same interview that I heard in the the Bunt.
[close]

wish the show would stop relying on the "we dont research cuz that's lame" vibe.  it does NOTHING for the culture to have the same interview over and over and over again

At least we know what a storm flip is now.

geneparmesan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2018, 06:51:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The Nine Club is much, much better than the Weekend Buzz. Not even comparable. And CBI is great but part of that is it's format, it wouldn't translate to video podcast.

Nine Club is the best thing in skate media right now by far (outside of skating) and it is completely free. Gotta love the armchair producers in here complaining about shit.

Gotta love someone complaining about complaining on a message board. Being free doesn't buy a pass from criticism.   

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2018, 07:42:41 PM »
You guys still expect way too much from Crob and team. It's been 88 episodes of this mess. this isn't 60 minutes. You should know by now they're not here to ask any hard questions,

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2018, 07:45:23 PM »
I’m waiting patiently for you to continue
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2018, 08:09:33 PM »
Anyone else think Jerry looks like the asian don cheadle?

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2018, 08:38:16 PM »
its As if crob didn’t know bag of suck existed. Throw some respect on Jerry’s career fool

I liked the EA game talk, he was pretty honest about everything, money etc. he definitely talked about leaving chocolate saying he felt like he didn’t fit in.

Also kinda sounded like crob was giving him shade cause he only stayed on chocolate for two year. He did have a thrasher cover on a chocolate board.

It was funny when he forced Jerry to talk about tv. kirchart doing demos for them Was a good story

I thought Jerry delivered in his dry sarcastic humor, 

Joe Pesci

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2018, 08:56:01 PM »
Didn't finish it, but was there no talk of Dylan Rieder? They were both on Osiris together for a while

bawtawd9

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2018, 09:03:04 PM »
I really want a jerry shirt trade acid for one

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2018, 09:28:14 PM »
Didn't finish it, but was there no talk of Dylan Rieder? They were both on Osiris together for a while
They barely talked about Dylan with AO and Dill, why would you expect Jerry Hsu's one to talk about him?

I think it was in Dylan's Epicly Later'd that Jerry joked that O'Dell was just going to him for interviews on anyone.

Plop

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2018, 09:40:55 PM »
Loved it. Jerry was actually on Chocolate for 4 years
Also did they say Stay Gold came out in 2007?  :o  ???

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2018, 09:45:30 PM »
Anyone else think Jerry looks like the asian don cheadle?

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2018, 10:15:17 PM »
This cemented for me how much better The Bunt is than The 9 Club. Don’t get me wrong, I like them both, but I’m way more hyped when a new Bunt is up. Compare the two Jerry interviews, one is vanilla as fuck and the other (The Bunt) he actually speaks his mind on some stuff (the whole Magenta bit)

YA DIG!?

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2018, 11:14:06 PM »
havwnr listened yet but this makes me almost feel like crying.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2018, 11:47:38 PM »
This cemented for me how much better The Bunt is than The 9 Club. Don’t get me wrong, I like them both, but I’m way more hyped when a new Bunt is up. Compare the two Jerry interviews, one is vanilla as fuck and the other (The Bunt) he actually speaks his mind on some stuff (the whole Magenta bit)

YA DIG!?

I think they're two very different things.

For instance - The Bunt is insufferably bad, while The 9 Club is actually watchable.  ;)

Listen to The Bunt if you hear someone talked some shit, and skip to that part. Save your ears. The hosts sound like two guys who know someone who knows Drake. Kinda like sitting through your sister and her friends gossiping for 2 hours just so you can hear Shelley say she called Amber a cunt once at summer camp. Industry shattering stuff.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2018, 11:58:45 PM »
I think it would be insanely cool if the Bunt got on the Nine Club. Would like to see how those guys act on camera as apposed to on a iChat audio iinterview.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2018, 01:52:16 AM »
Expand Quote

YA DIG!?
[close]

I think they're two very different things.

For instance - The Bunt is insufferably bad, while The 9 Club is actually watchable.  ;)

Listen to The Bunt if you hear someone talked some shit, and skip to that part. Save your ears. The hosts sound like two guys who know someone who knows Drake. Kinda like sitting through your sister and her friends gossiping for 2 hours just so you can hear Shelley say she called Amber a cunt once at summer camp. Industry shattering stuff.

I still can’t believe people actually watch the interviews rather than just listening as a podcast.

And you can call it gossip if you want, but if you’re not into the dirty stuff like that, then what the fuck do you post on SLAP for? Besides, it’s not like it’s hearsay, the stories are coming directly from the horses mouth. Like I said before, I like both and agree they are just different, it’s just one is vanilla as fuck and one isn’t.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2018, 02:55:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
they let him go via a fucking Instagram story

Damn that sounds disrespectful as for a guy Jerry's age and stature.

Anyone care to elaborate further?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2018, 04:22:54 AM »
Think the entire thing is summed up in those quotes guy
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2018, 04:36:11 AM »
For the record, the switch hardflip late flip Ronnie Creager did over the pyramid in Tampa looked amazing.

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2018, 04:36:56 AM »
I think it would be insanely cool if the Bunt got on the Nine Club. Would like to see how those guys act on camera as apposed to on a iChat audio iinterview.

I heard they are going to go on before the Olympics. USA vs Canada.
wash uffize drive me to firenze