Author Topic: Jerry Hsu | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 88  (Read 15597 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Jerry Hsu | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 88
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2018, 05:20:56 AM »
thought it was a good episode but didn't go in expecting certain content. there's worst things to listen to while i'm working at 6am.

I.C. Weiner

• Rep: -7
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2018, 06:54:15 AM »
since this thread is making complaints about nine club... they have the least diverse guests, feels like they're kinda pandering to californians. I'm European though, so guess I can't relate/give a shit about Americans getting sponsored by their local shop. still listen to their podcast though

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2018, 08:15:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This cemented for me how much better The Bunt is than The 9 Club. Don’t get me wrong, I like them both, but I’m way more hyped when a new Bunt is up. Compare the two Jerry interviews, one is vanilla as fuck and the other (The Bunt) he actually speaks his mind on some stuff (the whole Magenta bit)

YA DIG!?
[close]

I think they're two very different things.

For instance - The Bunt is insufferably bad, while The 9 Club is actually watchable.  ;)

Listen to The Bunt if you hear someone talked some shit, and skip to that part. Save your ears. The hosts sound like two guys who know someone who knows Drake. Kinda like sitting through your sister and her friends gossiping for 2 hours just so you can hear Shelley say she called Amber a cunt once at summer camp. Industry shattering stuff.
[close]

I still can’t believe people actually watch the interviews rather than just listening as a podcast.

And you can call it gossip if you want, but if you’re not into the dirty stuff like that, then what the fuck do you post on SLAP for? Besides, it’s not like it’s hearsay, the stories are coming directly from the horses mouth. Like I said before, I like both and agree they are just different, it’s just one is vanilla as fuck and one isn’t.

I've never been able to listen to talk radio, tried doing The Bunt - even tried 9 Club without the video - nope. Just not into it without being able to see the people talking. Interviews are a read or watch thing for me. Never listened to a podcast in my life aside from a few attempts at stomaching The Bunt. I don't use a smartphone, and I feel like a lot of the audience of podcasts are listening on their phones while on the go etc.

Love shit talk, but there's no way I'm going to listen to two wannabe cool guys saying "ya dig" or "ya smell me" every 2 seconds just to get to the one part of a 2 hour interview when James Hardy says he doesn't like Heath. The times stamps are a life saver for that reason.

I hear people raving about 9 Club episodes all the time - only hear about The Bunt on here, and I'm in Canada. Most skaters I talk to say the same shit about annoying hosts, if they've even listened at all. It appeals to a less mature audience for sure, and that's fine. Like you said - 2 different shows.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2018, 08:22:44 AM »
Also - sports talk on a skate 'show'? No thanks. Favorite sports moment - the day I quit soccer and never played or watched sports again in my life.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2018, 08:43:39 AM »
I never knew EA Skate was Danny Way's thing,then again I'm hardly into video games. Jerry's rad, but this nine club is one of those episodes that doesn't dig any deeper into what's been covered already. The Bunt is good because the interviews are usually under an hour,everything else is useless to hear. As said before,you can't expect too much from this group of skaters and their show. Outside of that,unless it's a Jason Dill,Grosso,or Jamie Thomas type the interview and stories will be limited.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2018, 08:48:35 AM »

Buck Russell

• Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2018, 09:26:17 AM »
always avoided this stuff cause i'm not gonna watch fuckin skateboarders sit around and stammer for 150 min but finally realized there was a podcast version on itunes so got into it.

as been said, eps vary wildly based on who is guest. jerry is just like the mellowest guy ever. nobody's fault that this one wasn't riveting.

the show could be great with just a couple tweaks namely:
- get an editor. u got 17 fuckn cameras in a 10ft room for why?! cut these down to 90-120 min max and it'll drastically improve.
- make roberts sit and listen to isolated audio of himself listening to the guest. he sounds like if u listen to a track with just puffy's ad-libs and it sucks.
- the third one is too mean to say but you know what it is...

Salsa Verde

• Rep: 9
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2018, 09:39:41 AM »
I thought this was a good episode. I may have been a little more lackluster than some of the other episodes, but I think may just be due to Jerry’s laid back personally. I think he is one of the best to ever do it and have nothing but respect for his skating and feel like this podcast played out exactly how one would think it would considering his reserved demeanor. I really appreciate his dry and witty sense of humor.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2018, 10:15:43 AM »
I just enjoy hearing people like Jerry bullshit. Nice to hear him talk about Nazi Gold since it predated Insta.

For all the people somehow STILL bitching about the 9 Club, the Chief has one coming called "Thrill of It All" so we'll have something else to compare it to. Looks like he just interviewed Ellington and Mumford. Comin' out swingin'

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2018, 10:18:24 AM »
I didn't know about the Table For One blog. I actually didn't know that so many people had such an aversion to sitting alone when they eat.

There are some things I don't do alone, like going to movies or concerts. But movies and concerts are more social; eating is basic. I understand not wanting to go to a nice restaurant or a cake shop or something alone since they lend themselves to being social. But going into a diner, or a McDonald's, or a cafe alone to get something to eat is pretty normal, I'd say. Unless you're in a rush, then just go to the drive-thru or order it to go. 

MaitlandPrivado

• Rep: 29
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2018, 10:45:21 AM »
I just enjoy hearing people like Jerry bullshit. Nice to hear him talk about Nazi Gold since it predated Insta.

For all the people somehow STILL bitching about the 9 Club, the Chief has one coming called "Thrill of It All" so we'll have something else to compare it to. Looks like he just interviewed Ellington and Mumford. Comin' out swingin'

TOIA coming next month, I wonder if they will have a supporting cast or if it will just be JT and guest.

shark tits

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2018, 10:52:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

TOIA coming next month, I wonder if they will have a supporting cast or if it will just be JT and guest.
thrill of it all?
not 'talkshow of faith?'
or 'leap of talk'?
way to screw the pooch, jamie m thomas.
or 'ISUCK and guest'.
'misled conversation'
i really hope adrian lopez is his andy richter and that every episode's intro is his 'most chose the stairs' WTH intro and the guest comes out to hallowed be thy name.
zero handshake before the hard hitting questions means you're committed to answering truthfully.

Battery Aziz

• Rep: -1
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2018, 11:17:07 AM »
I love Jerry and he always has something tasteful to say
Episode was alright, probably not the episode everyone was looking for of him but i’ll take it

ungzilla

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2018, 11:17:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
thrill of it all?
not 'talkshow of faith?'
or 'leap of talk'?
way to screw the pooch, jamie m thomas.
or 'ISUCK and guest'.
'misled conversation'
i really hope adrian lopez is his andy richter and that every episode's intro is his 'most chose the stairs' WTH intro and the guest comes out to hallowed be thy name.
zero handshake before the hard hitting questions means you're committed to answering truthfully.

don't worry we can look forward to his weekly roast podcast called "deride this guy"

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2018, 11:51:42 AM »

The Jamie Thomas Nine Club was one of the best episodes. Pretty sure it is the longest. Jamie can definitely tell a story and drove the episode for the most part. Looking forward to his show and I hope he interviews the Nine Club guys individually.

Jerry's rad, but this nine club is one of those episodes that doesn't dig any deeper into what's been covered already.

Pretty sure this is the first time Jerry has publicly spoken about his departure from Chocolate and what Sci-Fi Fantasy actual is.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

micky682

« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2018, 12:06:21 PM »
We all knew it but The Nine Club continues to be just a way for Chris Roberts to be pro instead of an actual podcast. This episode just made it that much more sad.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2018, 01:25:50 PM »
The amount of armchair producers in every 9 Club thread is hilarious. Would love to see the train wreck of a show some of you critics would produce... though a SLAP produced show is somewhat of an enticing idea.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2018, 01:44:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The Jamie Thomas Nine Club was one of the best episodes. Pretty sure it is the longest. Jamie can definitely tell a story and drove the episode for the most part. Looking forward to his show and I hope he interviews the Nine Club guys individually.

Jamie is actually starting a podcast as well: https://www.instagram.com/thrillofitall/?hl=en

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2018, 02:19:21 PM »
Also - sports talk on a skate 'show'? No thanks. Favorite sports moment - the day I quit soccer and never played or watched sports again in my life.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2018, 02:33:14 PM »

100%

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »
Damn Roger, you're a nigga foreal...How the he'll you look more like an alcoholic clean shaven than with an unkempt beard.

Boring episode, but I also think Jerry Hsu, Brian Anderson, and Spanly have been interviewed to death for the past 10 years. Kinda hard to hear new stuff when they get on EVERYTHING.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2018, 04:15:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
Jerry's rad, but this nine club is one of those episodes that doesn't dig any deeper into what's been covered already.
[close]

Pretty sure this is the first time Jerry has publicly spoken about his departure from Chocolate and what Sci-Fi Fantasy actual is.

CROB: So Jerry, what is Sci-Fi Fantasy?
Jerry: I don't know.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2018, 04:32:58 PM »
  Herd mentality.  Fucking takes how long for slap to figure out this show is mindless?
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2018, 04:49:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

CROB: So Jerry, what is Sci-Fi Fantasy?
Jerry: I don't know.
Hard hitting shit amirite?!

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2018, 04:52:33 PM »
I always come on here and read what you guys thought of the episode before I watch it, it lowers my expectations and usually ends in me being happy and entertained while all of you are huffing over CROB's ad libs and Rog's babyface.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2018, 06:24:35 PM »
always avoided this stuff cause i'm not gonna watch fuckin skateboarders sit around and stammer for 150 min but finally realized there was a podcast version on itunes so got into it.

as been said, eps vary wildly based on who is guest. jerry is just like the mellowest guy ever. nobody's fault that this one wasn't riveting.

the show could be great with just a couple tweaks namely:
- get an editor. u got 17 fuckn cameras in a 10ft room for why?! cut these down to 90-120 min max and it'll drastically improve.
- make roberts sit and listen to isolated audio of himself listening to the guest. he sounds like if u listen to a track with just puffy's ad-libs and it sucks.
- the third one is too mean to say but you know what it is...
... replace kelly(k fatty) with one of those drinking bird toys and a laugh track.

bawtawd9

« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2018, 06:41:34 PM »
Rog's babyface.
HAHHAHAHA This nigga look like he have leprosy fuck u talkin bout

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2018, 07:06:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

100%

couple of punk rawk sk8ers over here

curbsmash

• Rep: 0
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2018, 08:40:13 PM »
since this thread is making complaints about nine club... they have the least diverse guests, feels like they're kinda pandering to californians. I'm European though, so guess I can't relate/give a shit about Americans getting sponsored by their local shop. still listen to their podcast though

In one sense I agree about the diversity but it's kinda wild they've still only had one woman (Nora) on the show and one (Alexis Sablone) do a fifteen minute spot on the experience.

Surf-goth

• Rep: -676
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2018, 10:01:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In one sense I agree about the diversity but it's kinda wild they've still only had one woman (Nora) on the show and one (Alexis Sablone) do a fifteen minute spot on the experience.

Are you a woman?
Rest in peace Dick Dale.