Author Topic: INTERVIEW with VANS Designer Neal Shoemaker on Village Psychic  (Read 3971 times)

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
hardly art, hardly starving

sharkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
Re: INTERVIEW with VANS Designer Neal Shoemaker on Village Psychic
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 09:26:24 AM »
Nice! what an appropriate fuckin name

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 10:10:01 AM »
man, That was an interesting read, I'm upset it ended. Waffle cup sk8 hi's, era pro's or half cab is probably too easy... but I want them.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 11:06:25 AM »
man, That was an interesting read, I'm upset it ended. Waffle cup sk8 hi's, era pro's or half cab is probably too easy... but I want them.

I think it's good that they're focusing on their riders pockets versus lining theirs even more. I'm sure they'll do it eventually once sales start to slowdown, or if any of the guys with a waffle cup leave. That'd be a smart move, just replace it with a classic w/Wafflecup to fill in the gap in their line up.

Gino's Back 180 Nosegrind

• Rep: 34
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 12:24:03 PM »
Interesting read, especially the part about AO being himself and Layton dipping out / getting kicked. As far as Wafflecup classics go, they shouldn't look at it as "people who would normally buy Gilbert's shoe are going to buy this instead." They should look at it as more, "I was never going to buy another Vans shoe period because they hurt my fucking feet, but a Wafflecup Slip On? Fuck yes."

As for his name:

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:13:03 PM by Gino's Back 180 Nosegrind »

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 12:36:16 PM »

Fantastic work Peter. Only wish it was longer.

ALSO, finally an explanation to the gum sole phenomenology!!!

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 01:01:04 PM »
This was a good read, i saw the post on instagram and wasnt sure if the guys last name was for real but thats a great coincidence.

If vans made wafflecup old skool pros i'd maybe finally be able to wear their shoes for longer than an hour again

Little Debbie

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 01:30:38 PM »
fascinating read. pretty cool tidbit to know that the HalfCab was designed by a woman like 30 years ago. there is something ugly but so satisfying about that shoe...

shit_for_brains

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 01:42:50 PM »
I respect the shit out of the line about not taking money out of Kyle Walker or Gilbert Crockett's pockets (Gil free idea: Crockett's Pockets that are like fanny packs but velcro pockets you can add to anything) since they really push the Wafflecup in the marketing.

ungzilla

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 02:11:20 PM »
He could sell them by the truckload to Jon Shanahan

Dae-su Oh

• Rep: 1
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 03:29:57 PM »
Sick interview, Art! I always dig your stuff!

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 03:52:26 PM »

wait, art? youre village psychic?

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 06:18:58 PM »
these Arto LX's would have come out around a similar time.

i got some Pritchards at a Vans outlet years ago, i wore them to court once
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:02:35 AM by iwshilvdnfinland »

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 12:16:42 AM »
Great read! One of my all time favorite shoes were a vans authentic in black suede and gum sole, they were the grippiest shoes I've ever had.. Nice to know that it isn't a myth that gum soles are grippier  ;D

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 06:55:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

wait, art? youre village psychic?

no, just contributed to their extrasensory perception publication

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 08:43:12 AM »
Great interview. Now I wanna buy half cabs

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

FULTON

• Rep: 2
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 08:46:57 AM »
Really love this.

I’m a bit confused when he talks about the Cab Pro. Is he meaning that the new full cab pro looks different because vans corporation consolidated resources and compromised the shape of the panels to match other similar silhouettes like the mountain boot?
I’d love to know more of what he was getting at if you have any additional insight

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 08:52:01 AM »
Kyle Walker Pros are such a good shoe, WaffleCup is the best thing to happen to Vans in a long time
wash uffize drive me to firenze

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »
Really love this.

I’m a bit confused when he talks about the Cab Pro. Is he meaning that the new full cab pro looks different because vans corporation consolidated resources and compromised the shape of the panels to match other similar silhouettes like the mountain boot?
I’d love to know more of what he was getting at if you have any additional insight

my interpretation of the conversation on this subject was that the OG Half Cab has all the strange panels because they wanted to be able to consolidate resources with making the OG mountain boots

the new PRO half cabs have different paneling than the originals because they thought some of the OG panel locations were prone to increased wear to the shoes.

I have the full text of the interview somewhere on my computer and may release it, along with some bonus questions in the future

asakusa75

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 01:02:58 PM »
Kyle Walker Pros are such a good shoe, WaffleCup is the best thing to happen to Vans in a long time

So true. I had Crockett 1s first then the Kyle Walkers, and both shoe are virtually indestructible.
And both really good almost straight out of the box.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 02:30:31 PM »
thank you for this.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 05:45:59 PM »

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 06:27:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
So true. I had Crockett 1s first then the Kyle Walkers, and both shoe are virtually indestructible.
And both really good almost straight out of the box.
The OG Crocketts gave me terrible blisters on my pinky toes and heels, but once they broke in a bit and my feet calloused they lasted forever and felt great.

Loved this interview BTW. More skate she designers in the future please!

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 08:35:25 PM »
What were you working on with Alex Olson before he left?

I liked that dude and working on stuff with him because he was bringing up pretty different ideas.  ...So, we’d get various shoes to the production stage and get a pair in his hands and he’d be like, “These things are disgusting.”  There was a pair he hated so much that he wrote all over them.  So we scrapped it....So, we tried to develop more of an oxford shoe for him to skate in.  Once again, we’d get them to production and then he’d pull away again.  It was always fun to design with Alex, but we just never came up with something that worked for him.  It was sad to see him go because I liked watching that guy skate. 

Sounds like a real grateful guy who is a lot of fun to work with. I bet he was real sorry to see Alex go because of all the fun he had collaborating with him. If someone wrote all over something I had been working on for that person I think I would dry gulch the son of a bitch. This guy has the temperament to work with these skate divas.

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -7
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 06:20:19 PM »
Really love this.

No he was saying that when they were designing the Caballero, to save money they used the same cutting dies which is why they all look similar:

Cab Pro:

Original Half Cab:

Mountain Edition

Buffalo Boot

FULTON

• Rep: 2
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 08:30:19 PM »
Thank you yourfuckingdad I get it now. Makes sense.

The shape of the new cabs are totally different and I remember Pillow Heat (crazy vans collector reseller) going into many points about why the shape is different and the sole not containing crepe now because of cost cutting etc
Still a great shoe have no idea why they don’t reissue the black and grey full cab all the time it’s beyond me

Thanks again Art

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 10:18:18 PM »
What were you working on with Alex Olson before he left?

I liked that dude and working on stuff with him because he was bringing up pretty different ideas.  ...So, we’d get various shoes to the production stage and get a pair in his hands and he’d be like, “These things are disgusting.”  There was a pair he hated so much that he wrote all over them.  So we scrapped it....So, we tried to develop more of an oxford shoe for him to skate in.  Once again, we’d get them to production and then he’d pull away again.  It was always fun to design with Alex, but we just never came up with something that worked for him.  It was sad to see him go because I liked watching that guy skate. 

Sounds like a real grateful guy who is a lot of fun to work with. I bet he was real sorry to see Alex go because of all the fun he had collaborating with him. If someone wrote all over something I had been working on for that person I think I would dry gulch the son of a bitch. This guy has the temperament to work with these skate divas.

After Alex's recent podcasts, I definitely got the vibe Alex would be fun for designers at these bigger brands. What do designers at places like vans or Nike or Adidas besides modify older models or recreate other shoes for skating. Even if Alex is being a dick it probably has to be somewhat fulfilling to have someone holding you to a standard and wanting you to push and create something new instead of the modify the shoe this pro likes enough to sell as a pro model standard we have going these days.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Buck Russell

• Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2018, 08:00:20 PM »
that was great i love when these vets with real experience and talent get coverage.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2018, 06:00:28 PM »

it was gonna be his shoe, why not put a foot down? would you just take whatever they handed you?
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5