Author Topic: Trucks for a board with a large wheelbase.  (Read 1916 times)

SirCletusIV

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Trucks for a board with a large wheelbase.
« on: March 13, 2018, 08:25:31 PM »
So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on getting an 8.75 Powell flight board. Not the biggest fan of Powell but I'm a bigger guy (6'1, 250 lbs) and from what I hear it's the only board with technology that's not a complete gimmick when it comes to a board last longer and retaining it's stiffness. I just recently started learning about wheelbase sizes and how a taller guy like me might want a larger wheelbase size and this board coincidentally has a 15 inch wheelbase.

My question is what would be the best brand of trucks that would compliment the wheelbase size and not render it's size useless. From what I hear certain truck brands can make the wheelbase smaller because of the shape of the truck. I was really interested in trying ACE trucks but a lot of people say this will make my wheelbase size feel shorter when I'm riding it. On the flipside, I hear thunders are the opposite. So what the frick should I do people?!?!?!?!

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
Re: Trucks for a board with a large wheelbase.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:37:12 PM »
I think with a WB that big, the difference your trucks are gonna make is negligible. I think indys shorten it a little, thunders lengthen it. But all that madness can be found in the truck set ups thread. That being said, buy the trucks you already like. On second thought, maybe avoid that truck set ups thread for your own sanity.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 08:43:22 PM »
go check the Rob's ladder in the trucks thread, dude
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 04:20:48 AM by the snake »

curbsmash

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:50:08 PM »
15" wb isn't that big. Ride whatever trucks you like. Plenty of boards out there--even ones that aren't huge, the upper-8's or low-9's--with wheelbases an inch or two bigger than that and they work plenty well with whatever trucks.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 09:26:58 PM »
Black Label makes some decks with 16" wheelbases. You won't get a modern shape, but at 250 lbs., you probably aren't doing a lot of tech tricks.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 09:27:50 PM »
15 inch is quite long. I'm between 6 5 and 6 6 and I typically like a 14.6-14.75 wheelbase with indys. I'd say get aces. Aces shrink your wheelbase a little bit, and unless you only skate tranny, 15 inches is a bit extra imo.

Also, depending on what wheelbase you were previously used to, this could be a huge jump up.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 10:09:33 PM »
What are you skating?

I'm 5'10" and tend to skate 8.25"-8.3x" and usually with a 14.375 or 14.5" WB. Anything bigger and it's a different world depending on what you do on the board. Something of a 15"+ WB screams transition, big transition. I'd say try their 8.5 with the 14.375" WB (that's my next board).

As for the construction, it's amazing. Super stiff and really poppy, after you get used to it everything else feels weird (tho P2s still feel as crispy).

The flights really do hold up very well but will razor tail just as fast as anything out there so if you have a shitty manual game, don't think it's gonna last.

Trucks...Go for ACE, you'll love'em and they don't SHRINK a WB, Thunders, seem to be the only ones out there that push the wheels out based on their geometry but even then it isn't much to worry about.

SirCletusIV

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 10:20:23 PM »
go check the Rob's ladder in the trucks thread, dude

I have no idea what that is...