Author Topic: tips on making your legs not useless after winter  (Read 5061 times)

poowizard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
Re: tips on making your legs not useless after winter
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 03:39:17 PM »
Expand Quote
How about you skate during the winter? I'm on the east coast too and skated almost every weekend this winter. Covered garages, wear layers, etc.
[close]

He's right for sure. But I swear, the older you get, the harder it is to skate in the cold. These bones. But yeah, I'm bitchmade.

headtowall

• Rep: -13
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 03:50:27 PM »
Squats. Plyo box jumps, Squats, Squats, jump rope. 

jstankalwara

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 07:13:21 PM »
yeah i would suggest skating at least once a week you can do all the squats and deadlifts and shit but it wont help your muscle memory that you get skating but at least stretch after you skate

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 07:35:50 PM »
kinda cheesy but a balance board is decent for working your core and somewhat mimicking being on a skateboard. skating throughout the winter is the only real way though. even pushing around and doing just manuals and ollies is better than any substitute exercise.

itspizzapie

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2018, 03:42:10 AM »
-do long bike rides
-do squats
-lose weight

tested and approved

FLstrange

• Rep: 324
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2018, 03:45:39 AM »
have one of your friends give you a quick hamstring massage at the beginning of the session.

Mr_Friend

• Rep: 1
  • formerly Mr_Friendly
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2018, 05:46:17 AM »
Without sounding too trendy, doing a 25-45 minute kettlebell workout 3-4 times a week has done wonders for me. Helps the legs a lot (obviously) but I've noticed a huge improvement in general balance/ability to get out of slams.

bo golden

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2018, 07:49:34 AM »
have one of your friends give you a quick hamstring massage at the beginning of the session.

Cousin Avi

• Rep: -2
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2018, 07:57:17 AM »
im old as shit and fat and skated for the first time in months today, east coast winters are rough. legs barely could last 45 minutes before it was game over.

thinking about getting a foam roller and maybe hitting the elliptical a few times a week to get back to a place where im not getting embarassed by the switch heel 12 year olds at the local park.

any old farts got any spring routines they do to get back into shape? i dont care for the gym, really.

insults welcomed

1. Rope Helps
2. Running helps
3. Eating home prepared meals help
4. A nice cardio session helps

I bring my rope whenever I go to skate, a little 20 minute warm-up and you're set for a great session. Being 33 and not having much time I skate on the weekends, 5 or 6 hour-sessions are my jam, really...

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2018, 09:01:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How about you skate during the winter? I'm on the east coast too and skated almost every weekend this winter. Covered garages, wear layers, etc.
[close]

[close]

He's right for sure. But I swear, the older you get, the harder it is to skate in the cold. These bones. But yeah, I'm bitchmade.

I don’t disagree. I turn 30 next weekend but my knee is at least 50 and we’re still getting fucking snowstorms in NY. But the best way to keep the legs going is to just stretch, dress warm and go skate.  Whoever on here suggested base layers like Uniqlo Heat Tech is the real MVP

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2018, 09:03:03 AM »
and I skate a cruiser around the city so I’m at least pushing most days in the winter

Hauntedfortressofdoom

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2018, 12:44:41 PM »
When you go to the park, pump around a bowl for a few minutes before every session to get loose.

micky682

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2018, 04:35:54 PM »
Wind, cold temperatures, your bushings never work, snow, shorter days, shitty asphalt; man does skating during the winter suck.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2018, 05:20:16 PM »
Technically this applies to your legs - the right side of my lower back will get sore/tight really quickly when I skate now. I'm goofy-footed, so it's the side I put stress on when I push/skate normally.

Thanks to this thread (linked), I found out that it's because my hamstrings are so tight that my body relies on my back to do the work the hamstrings normally do.

I started trying the exercises suggested in that thread - namely Mad Max's post and postural restoration exercises suggested by coneklr - as well as jumping rope, and the most recent session I had, my back wasn't as sore/tight. I also did 20 min of elliptical before the session. So basically yoga, jumping rope, and elliptical.

So things can change, thank you SLAP. I mean it's pretty fucking weird to have to exercise before I skate, but I'm getting used to it.

jstankalwara

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2018, 03:35:45 AM »
When you go to the park, pump around a bowl for a few minutes before every session to get loose.
Technically this applies to your legs - the right side of my lower back will get sore/tight really quickly when I skate now. I'm goofy-footed, so it's the side I put stress on when I push/skate normally.

Thanks to this thread (linked), I found out that it's because my hamstrings are so tight that my body relies on my back to do the work the hamstrings normally do.

I started trying the exercises suggested in that thread - namely Mad Max's post and postural restoration exercises suggested by coneklr - as well as jumping rope, and the most recent session I had, my back wasn't as sore/tight. I also did 20 min of elliptical before the session. So basically yoga, jumping rope, and elliptical.

So things can change, thank you SLAP. I mean it's pretty fucking weird to have to exercise before I skate, but I'm getting used to it.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2018, 12:54:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I don’t disagree. I turn 30 next weekend but my knee is at least 50 and we’re still getting fucking snowstorms in NY. But the best way to keep the legs going is to just stretch, dress warm and go skate.  Whoever on here suggested base layers like Uniqlo Heat Tech is the real MVP

Moved to Brookyln in December and this stuff is no joke.

ciaran

• Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2018, 05:59:19 PM »
Regardless of what anybody says, the main way to look at skating is that it is most definitely a sport, one where you wear your regular clothes, where you compete against yourself to land as many tricks as possible.  You sweat, you hurt, you bleed, you stress, you fatigue the exact same as you do in football, boxing, rugby, etc., albeit with a different mentality about why you’re doing it in the first place.  So all that means, you’ve got to treat your body like athletes to if you want to skate as best you can.

This is what works for me, aside from the obvious “Skate more!” advice, which is hard to achieve if you have kids and a career.  In summer, I get skating 2-3 times a week; in winter I’m satisfied with 2 hours, as I live in a wet city with no indoor  or covered skatepark. Basically, I want quality over quantity at this stage.

Hail, rain or shine, I cycle 20 km every day to and from work, it’s about 30 mins each way in traffic - none of that lycra clad, Tour de France stuff, just a well-built 3-speed beast.  On the cycle home, I’ll often stop at some outdoor gym equipment and do a few circuits of dips, chin/pull-ups, leg lifts, etc. I don’t spend too long at it, anywhere from 10-30 minutes. All that builds strength for the mind, the muscle and the heart.  I also cycle to the skatepark or spot all the time, mainly as I don’t have a car anyway.  I live in Ireland where it snows enough for a national shutdown every 3-4 years, so if you’re in Winnipeg or similar, not cycling in winter is understandable.

Invest in a chin up bar and stomach wheel.  Do push-ups and burpees.  Burpees will kill you at first - they never get easy, just you do them faster as time passes - but they’ll help with keeping your legs in shape over winter.

I’ve been doing yoga since 2001 - I used to do it close to every day, but at the moment, it’s just twice a week on weekends.  Youtube has a verifiable fuckton of classes and routines from beginner to expert worth checking out and definitely start doing some dynamic stretching before and after skating to keep you supple and flexible.

I’ve lapsed from doing muy thai training over the past couple of months and it’s something I need to get back into one night a week after work.  From a purely fitness point of view, all martial arts are absolutely savage.  I just do pad work and getting into this via boxing helped me learn how to skip, which as many have said already, helps loads with strengthening calf/thigh muscles and help with rehab of shit ankles.

Eating properly is a winnter - get as much fresh fruit, veg and home cooked food into as possible - smoothies are always a winner.  Microwave ready meals are utter bullshit and cost a goddamn fortune.  Cut back on processed food in general, sugary drinks like sodas and all energy drinks. 

I’m fortunate that many of my skate friends, especially the tight crew, are into similar stuff, so I’m dealing with a similar mentality in the first place.  We’re able to get out with our kids, skate together, hang out, push ourselves and each other and still progress as a result (early 40’s here), all of which is far better than sitting at home watching TV 5 hours a night.

SOTY

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2018, 07:11:31 PM »
Regardless of what anybody says, the main way to look at skating is that it is most definitely a sport, one where you wear your regular clothes, where you compete against yourself to land as many tricks as possible.  You sweat, you hurt, you bleed, you stress, you fatigue the exact same as you do in football, boxing, rugby, etc., albeit with a different mentality about why you’re doing it in the first place.  So all that means, you’ve got to treat your body like athletes to if you want to skate as best you can.

This is what works for me, aside from the obvious “Skate more!” advice, which is hard to achieve if you have kids and a career.  In summer, I get skating 2-3 times a week; in winter I’m satisfied with 2 hours, as I live in a wet city with no indoor  or covered skatepark. Basically, I want quality over quantity at this stage.

Hail, rain or shine, I cycle 20 km every day to and from work, it’s about 30 mins each way in traffic - none of that lycra clad, Tour de France stuff, just a well-built 3-speed beast.  On the cycle home, I’ll often stop at some outdoor gym equipment and do a few circuits of dips, chin/pull-ups, leg lifts, etc. I don’t spend too long at it, anywhere from 10-30 minutes. All that builds strength for the mind, the muscle and the heart.  I also cycle to the skatepark or spot all the time, mainly as I don’t have a car anyway.  I live in Ireland where it snows enough for a national shutdown every 3-4 years, so if you’re in Winnipeg or similar, not cycling in winter is understandable.

Invest in a chin up bar and stomach wheel.  Do push-ups and burpees.  Burpees will kill you at first - they never get easy, just you do them faster as time passes - but they’ll help with keeping your legs in shape over winter.

I’ve been doing yoga since 2001 - I used to do it close to every day, but at the moment, it’s just twice a week on weekends.  Youtube has a verifiable fuckton of classes and routines from beginner to expert worth checking out and definitely start doing some dynamic stretching before and after skating to keep you supple and flexible.

I’ve lapsed from doing muy thai training over the past couple of months and it’s something I need to get back into one night a week after work.  From a purely fitness point of view, all martial arts are absolutely savage.  I just do pad work and getting into this via boxing helped me learn how to skip, which as many have said already, helps loads with strengthening calf/thigh muscles and help with rehab of shit ankles.

Eating properly is a winnter - get as much fresh fruit, veg and home cooked food into as possible - smoothies are always a winner.  Microwave ready meals are utter bullshit and cost a goddamn fortune.  Cut back on processed food in general, sugary drinks like sodas and all energy drinks. 

I’m fortunate that many of my skate friends, especially the tight crew, are into similar stuff, so I’m dealing with a similar mentality in the first place.  We’re able to get out with our kids, skate together, hang out, push ourselves and each other and still progress as a result (early 40’s here), all of which is far better than sitting at home watching TV 5 hours a night.

frontsideoverkrook

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2018, 08:20:53 PM »
attach a string from your penis to your nose. sniff three times. what was this thread about again

jonnysheen

• Rep: -63
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2018, 07:48:22 AM »
-do long bike rides
-do squats
-lose weight

tested and approved

about 40 to 60 in a row daily should do it

GMB