Author Topic: Cancer Tricks [Clickbait]  (Read 489 times)

rxcr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Cancer Tricks [Clickbait]
« on: August 20, 2022, 03:15:06 PM »
Wife got diagnosed with breast cancer in early 30s. Picking the board back up after 15 years, so I can go to the quiet skatepark near my new apartment and flagellate myself at 6AM.

Came up with 3 tricks to work toward ("learn" would imply I'm close):

1. front smith back 180
2. front shove front 50
3. front nose bigspin to regular

Which should I go for first?

Also, feel free to add to the list. I was fucking trash 15 years ago, but I assume after sitting on my ass and only watching videos for 10 years I am now really good and can learn hard way tricks in a week.

JRF

• Rep: 145
Re: Cancer Tricks [Clickbait]
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 08:14:31 PM »
Wife got diagnosed with breast cancer in early 30s. Picking the board back up after 15 years, so I can go to the quiet skatepark near my new apartment and flagellate myself at 6AM.

1. front smith back 180
2. front shove front 50

Also, feel free to add to the list. I was fucking trash 15 years ago, but I assume after sitting on my ass and only watching videos for 10 years I am now really good and can learn hard way tricks in a week.

Cancer tricks? Is this a “tricks to learn on my skateboard while my wife battles breast cancer” thread? Because those type of threads usually garner a lot of feedback..

Try to learn the “front nose big spin” first, guess. Sounds like a good start! “Frontside smith back 180 is a hard one” and could be even tougher to learn while your wife has cancer… I’m not sure where “flagellation of one’s self” plays a role in this pilgrimage, but whatever helps you stay on track…

“Wife cancer” or not, I’ve always wanted to learn switch backside smith grind to switch backside 180 out. I’ve never been able to rotate switch backside 180 out of a switch backside smith grind.
//////////

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 02:43:01 AM »

1. front smith back 180
2. front shove front 50

dude... first of all, sorry about the cancer. i hope your wifey makes it! that's so fucked up.

feels weird to type this after this, but fs shuv fs 50 sounds dope. those alley oop tricks always look tight.

sending positive vibes and wishing you guys a lot of strength.

rxcr

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 10:58:55 AM »
dude... first of all, sorry about the cancer. i hope your wifey makes it! that's so fucked up.

feels weird to type this after this, but fs shuv fs 50 sounds dope. those alley oop tricks always look tight.

Appreciate the kind words. We caught it early-ish and she's a tough son of a bitch so I think she'll be OK.

Front shove front 50 might be the most attainable, depending on how much I cheese it by going head on (like doing a fake lipslide). I wanna get these clean, so I'll probably restrict myself to doing it mid-ledge.

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 10:36:45 PM »
Expand Quote

1. front smith back 180
2. front shove front 50

[close]

Sorry man, that I didn’t ask about the wife. Did she catch it early? Is she doing alright? Are things looking more on the positive side of the outcome? Obviously cancer sucks. But I’ll tell you what. If you can get the front smith, backside 180 out? That would be pretty tight. And I bet that trick would feel really good to make.
//////////

Baby on Board

• Rep: 33
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 11:12:55 PM »
Hoping your wife gets through this!! Big productive energy from Texas to both of you

Regarding the tricks, if the ledge is tall, fs nose big spin . if it’s a lower ledge I’d say fs shove grind

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 07:42:05 AM »
More like trick-bait amirite?

rxcr

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 09:16:02 AM »
Sorry man, that I didn’t ask about the wife. Did she catch it early? Is she doing alright? Are things looking more on the positive side of the outcome? Obviously cancer sucks. But I’ll tell you what. If you can get the front smith, backside 180 out? That would be pretty tight. And I bet that trick would feel really good to make.

Hopefully, yeah. Certainly better than catching it when screening starts (35-40?). Front smith back 180 is my most wanted of those, for sure.

Regarding the tricks, if the ledge is tall, fs nose big spin . if it’s a lower ledge I’d say fs shove grind

There is both a low ledge and a taller, but slightly curved ledge. I've never skated a curved ledge before, so I don't know what tricks are easier/harder on it.

More like trick-bait amirite?

You are rite.

The other thing that's a pain in the ass was picking my setup. The game has changed in 15 years. What makes this worse is that I'm a tall boi (6'4"/size 13). Because I was stupid, 15 years ago I rode a 7.5, backwards because I didn't know better. I know boards were smaller then, but jeez.

People on here definitely have holy wars over millimeters in their setups, but the Tall Skaters thread was the wild west. Riding anything from an 8.0 to a garage door.

rxcr

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 10:11:47 AM »
Got out there this morning. Tried leaving trucks looser than I had ever skated (nut flush with kingpin, Ace AF1 60).

Oh my god. Forgive me father, for I have sinned.

My soul has been cleansed.

[Did my switch mongo pass expire after 15 years?]