Author Topic: Clive Dixon el Toro  (Read 10758 times)

roomservice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Clive Dixon el Toro
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 03:22:26 PM »
I think its time for Bust or Bail El Toro edition. Make it happen @phelps

The idea of skaters entering an El Toro Bust or Bail would have been considered career suicide a few years ago but with how comfortable people look skating it lately it definitely could go down.

People were hucking themselves 10 years ago down the 16.4 stair in SF for Bust or Bail (even though they added a ramp at the top which was pretty lame), and now new generations of skaters like Clive, Victor Aceves, Foy, Chase Webb etc make huge rails look like a cakewalk.

poowizard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 03:34:57 PM »
Expand Quote
As gnarly as that rail is, it seems pretty proportional for a head strong skateboarder. Click in.....slide.....shit goes wrong.......... jump out. You have time to negotiate your slam instead of a shorter (normal) sized rail where when shit goes wrong and its all up in your face. Anyone?
[close]
If it's that easy post a clip poowizard.

True. I'm not saying that "I" could skate that rail at all. Or that a large rail should be easy to skate. But as a "head strong" individual like Clive, I can see how trying a trick like that could be broken down and rationalized. Thats how is goes right? You gotta break it all up and go in.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2018, 03:41:30 PM »
^^I remember Paul Machnau, the guy who people pegged as the one who would noseblunt El Toro years ago, saying in an interview that it was too short to skate comfortably. I don't know if there are any other big-rail skaters who feel that way, but it does sort of make sense if that if you're trying to go fast enough to be able to bail down to the bottom should you have to that the rail being super low might negatively impact getting on.

I don't know though, I noseslid an 8 stair like 13 years ago and that's the extent of my handrail skating so I know fuck all about anything regarding skating a 20.

EDIT: And actually in thinking about it like that, it almost seems like nollieing on would be easier than a straight ollie on. But again, I know nothing.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2018, 03:44:42 PM »
madness.
i cant wait for the barage of tricks that are about to go down on this rail.
ive been dying to see a flip front board down it since Sorry

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2018, 03:48:44 PM »
i could give a rats ass that some guy did the same trick he did a year ago but popped off of his nose this time.  yawn.

A for effort though for taking all the "boring" comments to heart and trying to buy some personality with that (oh so punk) head shaving montage
I bet if one of your cool guy skaters from a non birdhouse brand did it you would be jacking yourself off to the video. You probably wouldn’t leave your moms basement for at least 48 hours just endless jerking your dick in a trance. She’d get concerned that you locked the basement door for so long and then I’d have to talk you out of your trance at 1am when all I wanted was some fucc.

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 448
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2018, 04:09:48 PM »
2018 - The year the El Toro rail became routine.
This trick is so, so insane and yet I feel less for this than previous El Toro tricks. Same with Foy's onslaught. Poor professionals these days. They are putting their lives at risk for my entertainment and it feels more and more pedestrian.
I think the lipslide selfie thing ruined it.

Non-rail tricks down the stair set are still rare at least.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

SOTY

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2018, 04:12:20 PM »
NOLLIENOSEBLUNTYBOKS🔥🔥🔥👊👊👊🤔🤔🤔

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2018, 05:05:05 PM »
NOLLIENOSEBLUNTYBOKS🔥🔥🔥👊👊👊🤔🤔🤔
GANG!

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2018, 05:11:37 PM »
I would just be replaying footy of Arto being lifted out of a puddle of his own puke and into an ambulance in my mind

sms_b

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2018, 05:19:42 PM »
huh, well that was fucking gnarly. He should've worn this jersey:

frontsideoverkrook

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2018, 08:22:27 PM »
Expand Quote
RIP El Toro
Born: 2001
Destroyed: 2017/18
[close]
Pending: Shecks BS Flip

let's say purgatory then 

thebacker

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2018, 08:56:44 PM »
still haven't figured out which one is clint walker and which on is clive dixon. i guess this one is clive dixon?

Nah this is Clint walker

Contrarian

• Rep: -54
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2018, 01:30:53 AM »
^^I remember Paul Machnau, the guy who people pegged as the one who would noseblunt El Toro years ago, saying in an interview that it was too short to skate comfortably. I don't know if there are any other big-rail skaters who feel that way, but it does sort of make sense if that if you're trying to go fast enough to be able to bail down to the bottom should you have to that the rail being super low might negatively impact getting on.

I don't know though, I noseslid an 8 stair like 13 years ago and that's the extent of my handrail skating so I know fuck all about anything regarding skating a 20.

EDIT: And actually in thinking about it like that, it almost seems like nollieing on would be easier than a straight ollie on. But again, I know nothing.
he didn’t say that at all, what he actually said was more like, he’s not gonna skate a small rail just because it’s famous. As in it’s not really gnarly enough for him. I don’t really think the el toro rail is that gnarly. Shane cross nosegrinded it first try in 2005. Carlos ruiz backlipped it. Matt Mumford 50-50’d it first try and then smith grinded it. And supposedly the rail they did it on was the higher one.

thomas kook

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2018, 02:16:03 AM »
you know people don't like clive dixon when he noseblunts el toro twice and people start arguing "it isn't really that gnarly"

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2018, 02:41:02 AM »
i have nothing of value to add, but a well known famous spot is never going to left with only basic tricks. it is the basic principle of progression. skateboarding has not yet peaked and there are more TF-grown groms coming up as we speak. all they need for a bigger rail is that confidence from doing a trick a million times in a row and not missing it once

it is not relatable, but you cannot deny the skill and the risk factor. all hail lemons

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2018, 02:49:15 AM »

Rowley noseblunting it was at the peak of Sorry rumors

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2018, 04:11:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
he didn’t say that at all, what he actually said was more like, he’s not gonna skate a small rail just because it’s famous. As in it’s not really gnarly enough for him. I don’t really think the el toro rail is that gnarly. Shane cross nosegrinded it first try in 2005. Carlos ruiz backlipped it. Matt Mumford 50-50’d it first try and then smith grinded it. And supposedly the rail they did it on was the higher one.

I remember it as you are both correct. That he was not interested in skating it just because it was famous, and also that it was so low that it was a very weird rail you cannot go fast on.

That two-page noseblunt he did down an 18(?)-hand rail blew my mind the fuuuuuuck out! How old is that interview? '05 or something?

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 50
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2018, 09:38:40 AM »
Just a matter of time before someone flips into this rail and either dies or lands it and shuts down rail skating once and for all. Rooting for the latter at this point.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2018, 09:48:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There were also rumors of Bastien kf front boarding it. I was at the premiere of Sorry in Boston and people were yelling EL TOROOOO several times during the video when people were hitting massive rails. It wasn't a joke either, the kids were just dumb and thought several different rails were actually El Toro. Like the 16 where Bastien does the fk front board haha

Joclo

• Rep: 19
  • Just wiggin out
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2018, 10:56:44 AM »
Would've looked cooler if he was still a "long hair don't care"

tiltmode43

• Rep: 1
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2018, 02:26:29 PM »
Insane. I do think the middle rail with cement stairs on both side would be harder to hit, for whoever brought that up. There's no escape plan with steps on both sides. But this is crazy nonetheless, mega props to Clive.

I appreciated hearing he was listening to Metallica - Seek and Destroy at one part, just imagined him getting hyped on Gilley haha.

Expand Quote
RIP El Toro
Born: 2001 1998
Destroyed: 2017/18
[close]
Pending: Shecks BS Flip

Nothing pending about that backside flip, man. Don't tell me that in this day and age you still haven't seen Sheck's lost part...

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

There were also rumors of Bastien kf front boarding it. I was at the premiere of Sorry in Boston and people were yelling EL TOROOOO several times during the video when people were hitting massive rails. It wasn't a joke either, the kids were just dumb and thought several different rails were actually El Toro. Like the 16 where Bastien does the fk front board haha

Wasn't there some interview where Bastien explained that they were trying to pressure him to kflip front board el toro but he wasn't feeling it? Like, they even tried to take him there or something and pushed him for it, but it just caused tension when he didn't want to step up? That and other similar stuff were part of what led to cutting ties with Flip, or something?
Quote from: Frank
busenitz skating so fast as if he was on the autobahn

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2018, 03:35:18 PM »
couple things:

1. tricks done on the centre rail where higher risk factor imo, so comparisons to the ones going down lately aren't totally accurate, though they're all gnarly for sure.

2. clive dixon would make a great corey webster, he's got brolin written all over him. Thrasin' 2 "Live in NY", starring
a young Dixon, coming out to make it in the big apple and getting cool-guyed by AO and the Draggers, the illest crew to ever skate in drag.
Ends with Dixon's literal coming out after beating AO at a Bedstuy SLS stop, they kiss atop the podium. P-rod reaches over from 3rd place to position his hat in front of them to give them some privacy, as the crowd goes wild. The end.
It'd be cheesy just like the first one, with hopefully some good chase scenes thrown in, maybe a subway section blatantly biting Tengu.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2018, 03:56:49 PM »
couple things:

1. tricks done on the centre rail where higher risk factor imo, so comparisons to the ones going down lately aren't totally accurate, though they're all gnarly for sure.

2. clive dixon would make a great corey webster, he's got brolin written all over him. Thrasin' 2 "Live in NY", starring
a young Dixon, coming out to make it in the big apple and getting cool-guyed by AO and the Draggers, the illest crew to ever skate in drag.
Ends with Dixon's literal coming out after beating AO at a Bedstuy SLS stop, they kiss atop the podium. P-rod reaches over from 3rd place to position his hat in front of them to give them some privacy, as the crowd goes wild. The end.
It'd be cheesy just like the first one, with hopefully some good chase scenes thrown in, maybe a subway section blatantly biting Tengu.

Id watch that then recommend it in the Netflix thread

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2018, 04:03:20 PM »

I fucking hate these. Cheapens the spot. Jeremy Wray's ollie in SD should have stood until someone pushed to it instead of setting up a roll in and having 9 dudes throw their trick down it. Lame as it gets.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I fucking hate these. Cheapens the spot. Jeremy Wray's ollie in SD should have stood until someone pushed to it instead of setting up a roll in and having 9 dudes throw their trick down it. Lame as it gets.
It still stands as the Bust or Bail wasn't even on the same set. Also, roll in vs push, still stands no matter what.

Pretty Serious

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2018, 04:09:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm ok with a water tower ollie b.o.b.

shred42O

• Rep: -10
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2018, 09:48:28 AM »
madness.

back tail coming soon....

tobal

• Rep: -12
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2018, 10:29:49 AM »
Expand Quote
madness.
[close]

back tail coming soon....

Saw this. Crazy.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:32:31 AM by tobal »

bawtawd9

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2018, 10:49:14 AM »
Flatrail boarslide off the top, drop the 20

ProjectBluebeam

• SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2018, 11:29:09 AM »
I was thinking pop shuv backsmith would look stylish