Author Topic: Non Skate Shoes Good For Skating Thread  (Read 122650 times)

Watson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Non Skate Shoes Good For Skating Thread
« on: March 27, 2018, 09:34:02 AM »
Hey I was using up too much bandwidth in the Sale Gear Thread and as far as I know there isn't a thread dedicated to one of my favourite topics, so let's talk about skating in shoes that weren't made for skating, and random off-brand shoes that would be good to skate in. I think Puma Suedes are one of the best shoes to skate in of all time.

I ordered a pair of these Reebok Viennas from Ebay forever ago, and they ended up being so fucking good to skate.

What are your favourites? Post pics if you have wrecked up non skate shoes!

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
Re: Non Skate Shoes Good For Skating Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 09:40:03 AM »
onitsuka tigers tokuten

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 04:26:11 PM »
Toms dude

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3288
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 05:19:47 PM »
Danskins are my go-to for both skating and tap.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 05:26:16 PM »
only skated one pair, but something i always liked about the sugis

ponys skate just like pumas, used to skate the lows a lot 10 years ago, quality may be different now

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 05:34:29 PM by botefdunn »

Violator

• Rep: 73
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 05:28:36 PM »
onitsuka tigers tokuten

Had that exact colorway. Loved em

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 05:46:55 PM »

ponys skate just like pumas, used to skate the lows a lot 10 years ago, quality may be different now

Those pony’s are almost exactly a blazer copycat, literally the shape and stitching and all

Just the sole is different and no swoosh
yes

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 01:09:01 AM »
got me a pair of reebok club c shoes because of lucien in the palace video.....might have to skate em someday!

anybody tried them on here???

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 01:24:36 AM »

found these regular nike all court qs at the outlet
store for like 20 bucks. they were super good for
skateboarding. they held up quite a long time as
well. would love to have another pair but i cannot
find another cheap one. did not expect it, but the
leather was very strong and the laces did not rip.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 06:44:16 AM »
all the adidas classics that were rereleased as skate shoes (maybe except gazelles as the gazelle soles are very thin)

i have old pairs of sambas and stan smiths that i skated in somewhere, i'll look for them later and if i find them i'll post pictures. stan smiths are ok, nothing special though but sambas are great skate shoes, if you ever find a pair for cheap buy them, they're really fucking good

puma suedes seem to be good for skating too, i've never had a pair but one of my homies did have a couple and they seemed to last a fair amount of time.

one of the non-skate shoes that seemed good for skating but weren't are the classic nb pro courts, they have soft soles that you will get a hole in after a week of skating, the skate version is much much better
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Little Debbie

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 08:15:48 AM »
white leather K-Swiss

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 08:21:37 AM »
Hey I was using up too much bandwidth in the Sale Gear Thread and as far as I know there isn't a thread dedicated to one of my favourite topics, so let's talk about skating in shoes that weren't made for skating, and random off-brand shoes that would be good to skate in. I think Puma Suedes are one of the best shoes to skate in of all time.

I ordered a pair of these Reebok Viennas from Ebay forever ago, and they ended up being so fucking good to skate.

What are your favourites? Post pics if you have wrecked up non skate shoes!

Damn, I've never seen those Reeboks... not bad. Club C's are pretty good with a bit of glue when the toe stitching pops. Did you have to order those from over seas/the US?

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 09:17:37 AM »

Yooooooo those Sugis are fucking fresh! Damn!

Ahaha Zach, I know you love the non-skate shoes!

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -7
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 12:00:20 PM »
Puma Suedes are one of the best skate shoes ever made.

Non-sb dunks are good

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 02:17:19 PM »

Ahaha Zach, I know you love the non-skate shoes!

haha guilty, was trying to find a pic of the my Adidas crater hiking boots circa '96, worst and most obvious ankle-roll ever. I remember taking them off on the spot and leaving them on top of an electrical box.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 10:41:13 PM »
Non-sb dunks are good

^^those and reebok npc II are some regular non-skate shoes i get anytime i find them on sale.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 12:09:13 AM »
got me a pair of reebok club c shoes because of lucien in the palace video.....might have to skate em someday!

I've skated a pair! They have a nice shape to them and skated quite good. Cons were at least on my pair that the suede was quite soft but overall I'd still recommend them.

Stoked on this thread! Maybe like half of my skate shoes have been other than skate shoes. Indoor type shoes generally have a good grip and have more futuristic look, onitsuka tigers are good too, reedoks, regular cons are great. most lifestyle shoes have felt and that's about the only thing you have to worry about..

Thoughts in skateshoes being overrated?

asakusa75

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 03:19:17 AM »
I wore regular Shelltoes for years, occasionally mixing it up with Fila Fitness or Nike Tennis Classic Acs. All super good for skating.
Lately I cant find proper shelltoes, they are all this new Superstar Foundation rubbish, cheap as shit and dont last at all. So the last couple of years has been back to Halfcabs, couple of pairs of DCs and Es too.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 07:11:31 AM »
Definitely agree on Samba's being absolutely fantastic to skate in. The flick on those, at least at the time, was great.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 08:33:12 AM »

here’s my pair of sambas, couldn’t find the stan smiths

as you can see i really tried to make them last, they were too good  ;D  ;D i think i’ve had this pair for ~4 months, the soles are still in great condition and they were like $20
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

ungzilla

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 08:38:14 AM »
what a fuck you to skateboarders, the regular ones have a legit second layer under the toe, then the "skate" ones don't, amazing

emchen

• Rep: 20
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 10:22:38 AM »
I second Sambas - great shoe to skate, even the usual black leather/gum sole ones, though I'd imagine suede would feel much better.

Speaking of Fila, does anyone know if they're starting a skate team or is it just gonna be Sewa (like Joe Brezinski and Puma)?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeD9v5AD7iw/?utm_source=ig_embed

Grind King Rims

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 11:13:24 AM »
Came to post Puma suedes, got them from a vintage fair and they were one of the best skate shoes I've had. Held up great and skated great.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 11:33:57 AM »
most lifestyle shoes have felt and that's about the only thing you have to worry about..

I skated some Polo Nike GTS knock offs that I got at Ross when I was in SF. Had the felt on the sole, but dragged my foot on a few hill bombs and that took care of most of it. Didn't really bother me. One of my favourite pairs of shoes I ever skated.

Also when I was living in New Zealand I found these no name GTS knock offs at the equivalent of Wal-Mart for $5.00. Super fun to skate as I've never skated true GTS but always loved them.

I skated a pair of those Reebok NPC in all white also! Had a crest on the side, got them hella cheap at a discount supermarket. They were kinda tippy cause the sole is narrow, but would skate again for sure.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 12:48:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've skated a pair! They have a nice shape to them and skated quite good. Cons were at least on my pair that the suede was quite soft but overall I'd still recommend them.

Stoked on this thread! Maybe like half of my skate shoes have been other than skate shoes. Indoor type shoes generally have a good grip and have more futuristic look, onitsuka tigers are good too, reedoks, regular cons are great. most lifestyle shoes have felt and that's about the only thing you have to worry about..

Thoughts in skateshoes being overrated?

Wasn't Lucien skating Workouts? Should watch that again, great part.

I have always felt exactly the opposite about skate shoes vs non-skate shoes... Skate brands generally take inspiration from from classic sport brand staples, but make tweaks to the silhouette and get rid of the ugly parts to make a shoe that's not only better for skating, but also looks better. For example - The Duffs KcK was better looking and worked better for skating than the Reebok Workout which it was modeled after (actually the Workout Plus), and the Club C's upper stitching doesn't hold up well at all for skating, yet it's silhouette is the inspiration for countless classic skate shoes that performed much better than the original. Skate brands also tend to do better colorways.

Lasernaut

• Rep: 4
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 01:02:56 PM »
Adidas Handball Spezial.

I found a pair in a second hand shop, they were close to free and close to the best skate shoes I ever had. I still have them even though they're destroyed BECAUSE they're not destroyed to destruction, ie. obliterated.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2018, 03:43:25 AM »
these reebok viennas and adidas handball spezial both look great, would definitively grab a pair for cheap

and sambas too, think i had some in the 90's, or maybe it was just a homie
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 05:36:47 AM by the snake »

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2018, 07:37:27 AM »
Would have been cool to just post all these in the sale gear thread.  I had this pair of pf flyers and really enjoyed skating them.  No felt on the sole and they held up really well.

Don't you work at a skateshop Watson?  It doesn't bother you that people buy all these random shoes on ebay and other places?  It's something I feel kind of guilty about.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2018, 09:30:54 AM »

Speaking of Fila, does anyone know if they're starting a skate team or is it just gonna be Sewa (like Joe Brezinski and Puma)?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeD9v5AD7iw/?utm_source=ig_embed

I kinda want those Filas. Also wasnt Jimmy Cao also on Puma?
wash uffize drive me to firenze

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2018, 12:20:59 PM »
Would have been cool to just post all these in the sale gear thread.  I had this pair of pf flyers and really enjoyed skating them.  No felt on the sole and they held up really well.

Don't you work at a skateshop Watson?  It doesn't bother you that people buy all these random shoes on ebay and other places?  It's something I feel kind of guilty about.

Ooooh I really want to skate a pair of PF Flyers, but can never find them for cheap. A friend of mine in Japan who is a famous actor actually had his own PF Flyer colourway and ad campaign and another of my friends skated his colourway and they looked so sick.

And yeah, I basically run a skateshop that my friend owns, but no it doesn't bum me out. Skateboarding is all about being stoked as possible while you're skating. If you get off on skating some random shoes, it's all good. We have dudes on our team who sometimes skate random kicks haha. Chances are dudes who do that won't be getting every single pair from somewhere like that, so they'll eventually buy some from us. Bums me out more when someone buys from Zumiez or West 49 rather than spend their money at our store.