Author Topic: World Cup 2018  (Read 21445 times)

iKobrakai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
Re: World Cup 2018
« Reply #210 on: July 06, 2018, 12:58:05 PM »
Great match!

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #211 on: July 07, 2018, 01:35:46 PM »
Daaaaaa! Gooooool!

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #212 on: July 07, 2018, 01:38:49 PM »
Daaaaaa! Gooooool!

I hate Mario Fernandes. He pretended to have depression to not play for Brazil. Diego Costa was forthcoming and said the coach was bullshitting him so he wouldn't play for Spain. But I'm still stoked for Russia.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #213 on: July 07, 2018, 01:56:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Daaaaaa! Gooooool!
[close]

I hate Mario Fernandes. He pretended to have depression to not play for Brazil. Diego Costa was forthcoming and said the coach was bullshitting him so he wouldn't play for Spain. But I'm still stoked for Russia.

Man, fuck life for giving one hope...

20matar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #214 on: July 07, 2018, 02:06:57 PM »
I KNOW THAT WAS THEN BUT IT COULD BE AGAIN....

it's coming home it's coming... football's coming home...

GO ENGERLAND!!!!!!!!

Mongoloid

« Reply #215 on: July 07, 2018, 02:46:45 PM »

GO ENGERLAND!!!!!!!!

Go England!!!! Beating France to take the World Cup would be glorious!

20matar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #216 on: July 07, 2018, 02:57:12 PM »
Expand Quote

GO ENGERLAND!!!!!!!!
[close]

Go England!!!! Beating France to take the World Cup would be glorious!

YESSS I'D LITERALLY CRY
I'm not happy with Russia choking to Croatia. But such is life. So I'm in 100% England mode. France is fine too. This is a feel-good world cup. None of the finalists are objectionable. It's all fun and games so I'm beside myself watching them.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2554
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #217 on: July 07, 2018, 03:10:56 PM »
The worst team in the tournament didn't choke, that's just silly. They gave a 100 percent, but that just wasn't good enough. Croatia were the ones who choked, they should've won comfortably but they couldn't score so the Russians took advantage of that.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -389
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #218 on: July 07, 2018, 04:04:49 PM »
Its hard to play for Croatia against teams who dream to go to penalties. But it is going to be completely different match against team that wants to win - England.
9/11 was a national tragedy

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #219 on: July 07, 2018, 06:43:38 PM »
Croatia are knackered, hope they can recover until Wednesday. But I agree, they play better as the underdogs...

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #220 on: July 08, 2018, 08:52:44 AM »
I think we can safely say that both games are 50-50.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #221 on: July 08, 2018, 09:33:57 AM »

Vlad's Plan

Go England!

sododgy

• Rep: 8
« Reply #222 on: July 09, 2018, 11:46:20 PM »
Brasil needs to wake up and realize they will always lose against top European teams because they dont have middlefielders. They produce just attack and defence and sell them to Europe, and all the games I watched in their league were just run and gun attack -defence games.

Wut.

Pele often played attacking mid. Recently they've had Ronaldinho, Fernandinho, Coutinho, Gilberto Silva, Rivaldo, Kaka, etc. They finished with an 8-2 goal differential and five of those goals were scored by midfielders.

Brazil has the most world cup titles, the most in tournament wins, the most goals, the longest unbeaten streak, the most tournament appearances. With Germany as their only real competition when looking at stats (most finals appearances, most runners up, 2nd most goals, etc), Brazil is still on top. They've made it to the finals of three of the last 6 world cups, and won 1/3 of those...

Countries don't sell their players, their players accept contracts where they can/want to play. The club leagues in a given country have fuck all to do with their national team. You follow any Argentinian club play? Portuguese? Watch a bunch of Czech First league? If yhe primary league in a nation meant anything to the quality of their national team, Spain would be running away with WC titles (based on Champions League results).

Not to be a dick, but what are you even talking about?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 12:10:00 AM by sododgy »

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2018, 01:48:59 AM »
you are talking about times that are long gone. Just compare Brasil squads now and 20 and more years ago.
Brasil is a joke man. I dont know why are you guys so blind. THERE IS NO chance that even weakest country in the world could loose 7-1 at home.

I know what I mean when I say produce players ,dont wanna even argue with you. Brasil league style of play is the factor , nothing else. Politics to earn more and more money when they sell atractive players to Europe.
Before you had some STRONG md players, just look at Dunga and those guys..they were not servants to one player, they were team.

I feel so bad for Coutinho, Marcelo, William... Real old school Brasil players
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:53:32 AM by Alois Hitler Jr. »

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #224 on: July 10, 2018, 06:08:38 AM »
T H I R T Y  Y E A R S  O F  H U R T

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #225 on: July 10, 2018, 06:27:19 AM »
A little bit of me want ENG-GER-LANDDD! to win...

SO THEY WILL SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT 1966.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #226 on: July 10, 2018, 07:09:29 AM »
T H I R T Y  Y E A R S  O F  H U R T

52 yrs... they can start to record new song for 56 years of hurt.

sododgy

« Reply #227 on: July 10, 2018, 11:26:14 AM »
you are talking about times that are long gone. Just compare Brasil squads now and 20 and more years ago.
Brasil is a joke man. I dont know why are you guys so blind. THERE IS NO chance that even weakest country in the world could loose 7-1 at home.

I know what I mean when I say produce players ,dont wanna even argue with you. Brasil league style of play is the factor , nothing else. Politics to earn more and more money when they sell atractive players to Europe.
Before you had some STRONG md players, just look at Dunga and those guys..they were not servants to one player, they were team.

I feel so bad for Coutinho, Marcelo, William... Real old school Brasil players

No I'm talking about the Last six tournaments. Brazil's league style of play hasn't changed with their current generation of stars. Their biggest stars playing abroad is no different than it has been with their dominant teams.

Let's look at their last cup winning starting 11 and what country their clubs were in...

1. Marcos - Brazil
2. Cafu - Italy
3. Lucio - Germany
4. Roque Junior - Italy
5. Edmilsin - France
6. Roberto Carlos - Spain
7. Ricardinho - Brazil (got booted from Ligue 1)
8. Gilberto Silva - Brazil (this world cup is largely why Arsenal picked him immediately after)
9. Ronaldo - Italy
10. Rivaldo - Spain
11. Ronaldinho - France (this cup would help get him to Barcelona)

Better yet, let's look at Brazil's midfield THIS YEAR.

Coutinho - Barcelona
Fernandinho - Man City
Paulino - recently sold from Barcelona back to China
Douglas Costa - Juventus
Casimir - Real Madrid
Fred - Man U

You're right, no midfield talent...

Brazil's club play has nothing to do with it, because if you're good enough to play on your national team, you're likely not playing in your nation's top flight unless you're English, German, Spanish, Italian, or maybe French.

Their is ONE player on Belgium's starting 11 that doesn't play for an English club, but you're gonna try to say that the Belgian top flight play style is what got them here? Get real, you aren't making sense.

The best leagues pay the most. The best players play in the best leagues. Brazil doesn't have the money to sustain a league like that. Look at the Croatian starting 11. Almost all Spanish and Italian clubs.

Explain again how a nation's top flight club means fucking anything?

You realize that national teams play for more than the world cup and Fifa national rankings are based on more than just tournament results right? Brazil didn't come in ranked number 2 because of their history.

I'm not even a Brazil fan, you just aren't making any sense.

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #228 on: July 10, 2018, 12:02:15 PM »
belgium middlefield is space ship for brasil.

okay.. Croatians PRODUCE great midlefielders, brasil produces great attacking middlefielders . I dont care where players are currenty playing but when they come back to play for national teams Brasil does not have a compact team. thats it..

brasil is going downhill and that was my point.

wuust

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #229 on: July 10, 2018, 01:31:15 PM »
Ref was licking serious escargots this evening.

France was playing like a bunch of 10 year olds.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #230 on: July 10, 2018, 01:43:33 PM »
giroud basically fucking ran hazard over and the refs just like "fuck it lads play on"

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #231 on: July 10, 2018, 01:44:29 PM »
Belgium was better for sure.

sododgy

« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2018, 01:54:52 PM »
giroud basically fucking ran hazard over and the refs just like "fuck it lads play on"

Yup. I'm a France supporter anytime the US is out (grew up an Arsenal fan so The Invincibles had a huge impact there), but Giroud got away with murder.

Belgium was better for sure.

Nahhhh. They had some bad calls go against them, but outside a few scary set pieces they never mounted a serious attack.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #233 on: July 10, 2018, 02:04:10 PM »
Belgium controlled the midfield for much of the game and had some good attacks, while the French relied on counters. That says more about Deschamps than the French players, but to me that's poor.

sododgy

« Reply #234 on: July 10, 2018, 03:26:33 PM »
Belgium controlled the midfield for much of the game and had some good attacks, while the French relied on counters. That says more about Deschamps than the French players, but to me that's poor.

I'd give Kante credit as being the most impactful midfielder on the pitch, but once again there's bias as a French fan. As far as I'm concerned Kante and Lloris have been the real heroes for France this year. Belgium was straight nullified by France's midfield and defense IMO. They had three meaningful shots. Control the midfield and possession all you want, but if you aren't using that to cause real danger for the opposition it means nothing in my eyes (also bias from playing attacking mid).

I'm not saying France ran away with it by any means. It was a very close game, but I only had a few moments where I worried about a Belgian goal, and those all came from set pieces. If Giroud would quit lagging behind and shoot like he believes he can score, the scoreline would have looked worse. I totally get what you're saying, but France dropping back and and playing Deschamps conservative style, knowing they have the likes of Mbappe, Pogba, and Griezmann to lead an effective counter at any moment, just doesn't add up to them being the worse team to me. I mean, what's that say about how Belgium played when they controlled possession 60/40, but had half(ish) as many shots and shots on target?

Regardless of who we personally think looked better, it was a solid game on both sides.

It was weird (but understandable) watching Henry seem sullen at France's victory.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #235 on: July 10, 2018, 07:58:03 PM »
Congrats to France. Shoutout to Frenchie, y’all must be so hyped!

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
« Reply #236 on: July 11, 2018, 01:05:16 AM »
mbappé, haha

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 398
« Reply #237 on: July 11, 2018, 01:54:33 AM »
Kinda salty because France won, but hey I'm Belgian. But France has a great history in soccer and we had nothing for 32 years. So I'm kind of happy with the semi finals.

Conclusion is that Hazard is world class. What a player, god damn.

And to all Fellaini haters: I know the dude doesn't look pretty on the field, I know :-) but he's ALWAYS where he is supposed to be, does his work and is a great dude off the field as well.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #238 on: July 11, 2018, 03:09:02 PM »

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #239 on: July 11, 2018, 06:46:06 PM »
BOOM!! Seeya later England. Just when you thought you had a good news story coming your way
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps