Author Topic: World Cup 2018  (Read 21360 times)

BallDontLie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: World Cup 2018
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2018, 12:59:35 PM »
Cluuuuuutch Kroos
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2018, 01:01:07 PM »
Cluuuuuutch Kroos

And I doubted him.. That's better!

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -389
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2018, 01:14:13 PM »
Germany with player down manage to push Sweden in their own 16... If Sweden had just one quality midlefielder to hold the ball rather than giving it to germans all the time. It is their own fault.
9/11 was a national tragedy

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2018, 06:08:10 PM »
Watched the last 15 min in a bar full of Mannschaft fans and it could not ended better. Free goal was perfect, although Brandt had the biggest chance to score.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2018, 09:48:10 PM »
Germany probably need to address why Mueller sent at least 3, maybe 4, completely errant crosses to absolutely no one.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2018, 01:11:23 AM »
I thought the video ref was going to sort out at least the obvious mistakes but I was wrong!
When you compare the penalty awarded to the French team vs Australia and the penalty not awarded to the Swedes vs Germany, it's pretty farcical. Maybe it's just early days and they need to iron out some problems but still....

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2018, 03:29:14 AM »
Yes prob is the early days. I know the VAR gave a signal that ref needs to check situation in serbia swiss game when there was obviously penalty on serbian player and ref did not want to to it?! that was weird to give them an option not to check it.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2018, 10:00:14 AM »
Question for the Europeans. What's up with the Kosovar Swiss? I have the slightest understanding of the Balkan situation. But I watched the Swiss' goal celebrations and couldn't see anything other than the sign of peace, the dove of peace. But now they're saying that the gesture was supposed to be the two-headed eagle, an Albanian symbol... Do you think this will be an issue for Switzerland? I know Alan is a Croat, hopefully he'll be kind enough to explain it to me.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2018, 12:45:35 PM »
Didn't expect Poland to get routed by Colombia and knocked out in the group stage.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2018, 08:31:23 PM »
Question for the Europeans. What's up with the Kosovar Swiss? I have the slightest understanding of the Balkan situation. But I watched the Swiss' goal celebrations and couldn't see anything other than the sign of peace, the dove of peace. But now they're saying that the gesture was supposed to be the two-headed eagle, an Albanian symbol... Do you think this will be an issue for Switzerland? I know Alan is a Croat, hopefully he'll be kind enough to explain it to me.

So the Kosovars are ethnic Albanians, and the symbol Xhaka and Shaqiri made was definitely the double headed eagle, which is often used by Albanians. Apparently the Kosovars playing for Switzerland were provoked by Serbian fans' anti-Albanian chants, hence the celebrations. Not sure whether this is true, but there were some unsavoury characters among the Serbian fans, so I wouldn't put it past them. It's basically a nationalist shitshow.

There is talk of some sort of sanctions for Switzerland if FIFA decides that the gestures were political. For now they're still under investigation. From what I've read earlier this year, the Swiss national team is somewhat segregated between the old Swiss (German, French, etc.) and the immigrants/second generation. But I just read that the Swiss captain Lichtsteiner also made the gesture and is under FIFA investigation. I can also see the Swiss fans being pissed off at their players for dragging them into Balkan politics.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2018, 02:36:36 AM »
What's your opinion on the VAR?

sometimes I have the feeling they're completely on point and sometimes they seem to not see completely obvious fouls? :(

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2018, 03:40:05 AM »
What's your opinion on the VAR?

sometimes I have the feeling they're completely on point and sometimes they seem to not see completely obvious fouls? :(

I think it’s great but not perfect yet. I have no idea how Serbia didn’t get a penalty for the two Swiss guys wrestling that one guy down. Clear penalty IMO but nothing happened even with VAR.  :o

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2018, 04:17:55 AM »
Best thing that happened to football but it needs more time!
Before you could NEVER see penalty given to less popular teams if it is 50-50 situation,and for more popular teams penalty was given a bunch of times when there was no penalty.

It is super useful for offsides!

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2018, 06:30:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So the Kosovars are ethnic Albanians, and the symbol Xhaka and Shaqiri made was definitely the double headed eagle, which is often used by Albanians. Apparently the Kosovars playing for Switzerland were provoked by Serbian fans' anti-Albanian chants, hence the celebrations. Not sure whether this is true, but there were some unsavoury characters among the Serbian fans, so I wouldn't put it past them. It's basically a nationalist shitshow.

There is talk of some sort of sanctions for Switzerland if FIFA decides that the gestures were political. For now they're still under investigation. From what I've read earlier this year, the Swiss national team is somewhat segregated between the old Swiss (German, French, etc.) and the immigrants/second generation. But I just read that the Swiss captain Lichtsteiner also made the gesture and is under FIFA investigation. I can also see the Swiss fans being pissed off at their players for dragging them into Balkan politics.

The Serbs committed ethnic cleansing of Albanian Kosovars following the breakup of Yugoslavia plus there is a long standing dispute re the status of Kosovo (Serbia doesn't recognise their independence) so I guess beating them on the pitch would feel pretty damn good. 
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2018, 06:51:05 AM »
Sure, but the war has been over for almost 20 years, and the least the players from both sides could do is not stoke the nationalist fires.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2018, 06:59:16 AM »
Sure, but the war has been over for almost 20 years, and the least the players from both sides could do is not stoke the nationalist fires.

that kind of thing never goes away completely and it’s usually between neighboring groups of people. you have greeks and turks, english and french, japanese and koreans, jews and palestinians, and others. it’s like they can’t help it.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2018, 01:21:15 PM »
What a wild end to group B today.  In around the same time VAR was used in both matches in stoppage time.  They gave Cedric from Portugal a handball in the box and in the other game Iago Aspas scored for Spain which might have been called offside.  VAR allowed Spain's goal and Iran was awarded a penalty kick against Portugal.  I was trying to keep up watching both games which had huge implications.  What looked like Portugal topping the group and potentially Spain going out sees Spain actually top the group with a draw in both games. 

I know many are in favor of VAR, but it can fuck off as far as I'm concerned.  Lots of instances where the term "clear and obvious" isn't clear and obvious to some.  Pique had a 2 footed challenge which should have seen red and they don't even look at it.  In the Portugal-Iran game I didn't think Cedric should have been called a handball called against him.  Doesn't look like he even knew where the ball was and his hands weren't in an unnatural position.  There is still a lot of subjectivity even with VAR.  I'm one who is fine with blown calls.  I like the controversy.  There wouldn't have been a "Hand of God" moment if VAR was around when Maradona played.

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2018, 01:46:19 PM »
I know many are in favor of VAR, but it can fuck off as far as I'm concerned.  Lots of instances where the term "clear and obvious" isn't clear and obvious to some.  Pique had a 2 footed challenge which should have seen red and they don't even look at it.  In the Portugal-Iran game I didn't think Cedric should have been called a handball called against him.  Doesn't look like he even knew where the ball was and his hands weren't in an unnatural position.  There is still a lot of subjectivity even with VAR.  I'm one who is fine with blown calls.  I like the controversy.  There wouldn't have been a "Hand of God" moment if VAR was around when Maradona played.

well I think that bad referee is bad no matter what help he gets. this VAR thing works great when ref is someone who is good at his job.
controversy is cool but imagine that your team loses a title because someone scored using his hand.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2018, 01:55:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

well I think that bad referee is bad no matter what help he gets. this VAR thing works great when ref is someone who is good at his job.
controversy is cool but imagine that your team loses a title because someone scored using his hand.

Well it's actually worse because it's a team of refs that are bad which IMO is harder to stomach when calls get blown.  It might hurt and you may be pissed if your team loses, but I'd still take it that way.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:51:54 PM by Decreed Bratton »

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2018, 02:35:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Well it's actually worse because it's a team of refs that are bad which IMO is harder to stomach when calls get blown.  It might hurt and you may be pisses if your team loses, but I'd still take it that way.

Yeah, I think it's fine that the referees have a big role in the game and yeah sometimes they miss things and fuck up but you get over it because there's nothing to be done after the call. Now if they fuck up by reviewing and making the wrong call or choosing not to review and making the wrong call it just sucks so much worse. Good for offside goals though

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2018, 08:25:51 PM »
Hopefully Australia can get a win by a decent margin tomorrow and Denmark goes down to France.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2018, 10:48:10 PM »
need a miracle tomorow
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2018, 01:51:20 AM »
Don't know how they can use VAR and still make the wrong call, the Iran penalty decision was shocking.
The footage they showed the ref was not the best, slow motion and a shuttle jog where another television angel at regular speed showed the incident for what it was, why don't they show multiple angles and speed. Could be a job for Ty?
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2018, 02:09:36 AM »
The Serbs committed ethnic cleansing of Albanian Kosovars following the breakup of Yugoslavia plus there is a long standing dispute re the status of Kosovo (Serbia doesn't recognise their independence) so I guess beating them on the pitch would feel pretty damn good.

Yeah and I think that's also why both players' families had to flee to Switzerland in the first place. I thought their celebration was rad and was rooting for them the whole game.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2018, 02:16:45 AM »
Don't know how they can use VAR and still make the wrong call, the Iran penalty decision was shocking.
The footage they showed the ref was not the best, slow motion and a shuttle jog where another television angel at regular speed showed the incident for what it was, why don't they show multiple angles and speed. Could be a job for Ty?

Holy shit!  ;D

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2018, 05:38:46 AM »
Just finished watching the Portugal vs Iran replay. Holy shit what a grubby game from start to finish. Fans, coaches, players, the ref- everything was a mess.

I may have misheard the commentators but I'm pretty sure they said the Uraguyan team were there hyping up the Iranian fans at the end when they were waiting for the VAR outcome on the handball.

Apparently the Iranian fans were drumming all night out front of the hotel the Portuguese players were staying at in an attempt to mess with their sleep.

Really poor sportsmanship by all parties involved.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2018, 06:04:10 AM »
Just finished watching the Portugal vs Iran replay. Holy shit what a grubby game from start to finish. Fans, coaches, players, the ref- everything was a mess.

I may have misheard the commentators but I'm pretty sure they said the Uraguyan team were there hyping up the Iranian fans at the end when they were waiting for the VAR outcome on the handball.

Apparently the Iranian fans were drumming all night out front of the hotel the Portuguese players were staying at in an attempt to mess with their sleep.

Really poor sportsmanship by all parties involved.

agreed

there was a joke about the our game against Panama. even a commercial that said 'Maybe we should go make noise all night outside of the hotel of Panama?' but of course it was a joke.

Shocking that some supporters of another team actually did that...

That referee was really bad...

The one with Spain - Marroco wasn't that great either. If I was the ref I'd have pulled out at least 3 red cards.
The foul on Iniesta was almost bad enough to break a leg, and I'm not even a Spain supporter...

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2018, 01:35:39 PM »
so happy

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2018, 02:05:05 PM »
Maradona must have the best coke. Fuckin’ kook.

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2018, 02:06:37 PM »
Maradona must have the best coke. Fuckin’ kook.

dude i didn’t even recognize him!