Author Topic: Sofia, Bulgaria 👏  (Read 1982 times)

Skibb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Sofia, Bulgaria 👏
« on: April 02, 2018, 05:37:13 AM »
Just bought a flight to Sofia for early August together with my shithead friends. Been a bunch to Romania and other parts of eastern Europe, but this will be the first time venturing that far east.

Any tips on cool stuff to see, skate, eat, and drink?

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
Re: Sofia, Bulgaria 👏
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »
Ever seen that movie Hostel?

Lasernaut

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 06:59:32 AM »
Get the traditional salad with cucumbers, tomato and white cheese, it's just the right thing that time of year. Be wary of chicken, I was served raw chicken there... twice.

Downtown there's some sick spots, I do not remember what the place was called, but it's central Sofia, there's an art museum, a park... Some big centre also. I think I've seen this spot in Enjoi videos. Ledges, curbs, stairs, steep banks. Also a halfpipe somewhere in that park.
I don't remember seeing a lot of random street spots, most of the sidewalks were kind of fucked.

Watch out for the packs of wild dogs roaming the city after dark, they kill people once in a while. Probably a lot of shady shit going on at night too.
Locals Sofians seem hard as fuck, especially those barrelchested 40-50-year old men, I wouldn't go out of my way to fuck with them.

Sofia Museum of Natural History is cool as hell, they have an elephant skeleton assembled as a human skeleton at the entrance. Huge-ass lobster on display in there as well as shittily stuffed animals. Worth a look for sure.

The metro is in some parts of town old ruins from Byzantine times, I think, also cool.

I've been there once some 5 years ago or something, so my memory is not that clear.

Kur (kooR) means cock (as in penis). When you say thank you, just say "merci", that's the easiest way.

Any questions, let me know. Lots of stuff to check out.

ratherwatch

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 08:10:43 AM »
The National Palace of Science and Culture (NDK) at the end of Vitosha Boulevard is one of the best skatespots in the world.
https://www.instagram.com/all.day.ndk/
Go into the Chilli Hills hot sauce store just off Vitosha and talk to Sando who runs it, he is the godfather of skating there.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhLmZA2BMzf/?taken-by=chillihills
Amazing city, but always check your change in shops.

bob aus lewing

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 12:20:16 PM »
i have been there 3 years ago and most parts of ndk were under construction. i don't know the situation now but i think it's still the nr.1 skatespot in sofia. the locals were super nice and welcoming.
there is another nice spot in plaza nezavisimost and we had some good times in a bar with indoor miniramp, i forgot the name though.
if you have the time go to varna as well, it's at the seaside and super nice, but maybe packed with tourists in summer.
here is an edit from our trip, starts around 4:20, it's all filmed in sofia and varna:
http://vimeo.com/173081315

ratherwatch

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 05:30:00 AM »
i have been there 3 years ago and most parts of ndk were under construction. i don't know the situation now but i think it's still the nr.1 skatespot in sofia. the locals were super nice and welcoming.
there is another nice spot in plaza nezavisimost and we had some good times in a bar with indoor miniramp, i forgot the name though.
if you have the time go to varna as well, it's at the seaside and super nice, but maybe packed with tourists in summer.
here is an edit from our trip, starts around 4:20, it's all filmed in sofia and varna:
http://vimeo.com/173081315

The bar is called Grindhouse, there's also an indoor park in a squat called 5-High. Varna is definitely a good call!

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 06:30:11 AM »
Also, if you're vegan and/or into natural products Sofia has an amazing scene. My wife covered a lot of that stuff on here blog recently: https://www.theminimalistninja.com/?s=sofia

There's also a good craft beer scene too. Go to this beer place called Nosferatu. It's run by a dude and his wife who are both super nice. Dude was in a metal band and also sang opera before if I recall correctly.

People have covered the skating aspect but fyi if the weather's shit there's also an indoor park there.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 05:01:45 AM »
Just came back from the trip and thought I would follow up, for future reference if nothing else. Thanks for all the tips guys, definitely helped us out.

So, Sofia was an absolutely awesome place. Wild as fuck, especially compared to Sweden where we're from - random shops in every nook and cranny, cats and dogs wandering the streets, people hauling shit by horse and carriage and huge pine trees rising amongst the concrete buildings.

All locals we spoke to were super helpful, skaters and non-skaters alike. We randomly ended up in a bar, seeking shelter from a rainfall, and befriended a bunch of great people who guided us through a wild night of rooftop concerts in an old art gallery, night clubs being run under the radar in the basement of a soup kitchen and where to find the best night snacks to remedy all the previously mentioned frolicking.

The food is insane - so good and for no money at all. Get a hearty bowl of the best soup you've ever had with some freshly baked bread and cup of coffee for 3 leva (€1.50-ish). A good beer for half that.

Sofia is a hella old city with lots of history to learn about of you're into that and the whole city is surrounded by mountains thousands of metres high. Make sure to take the super-long and sketchy lift to the highest peak called Cherni Vrah - the view up there is insane and worth the hour-long hike. Check out the old churches and cathedrals - they're pretty intense to experience especially if you aren't used to the grandeur of old orthodox Christian buildings.

Skating-wise, the city centre has a lot of cobblestone streets, so it's not just pure cruising bliss, but marble plazas like NDK (@all.day.ndk) more than make up for it. There's also a semi-sketchy DIY park in the South Park that is photogenic as fuck. Bring a broom to clean the broken glass, gravel and bloody needles away though. In this area you also have some of the most perfect hill bombs ever - freshly paved roads, no crossing streets and little amount of traffic.

There's a couple for skateshops in town, but the legit one is called Blok and is just by the NDK-plaza. Grindhouse Bar is well worth a visit - indoor and outdoor miniramp, cheap beer and seriously fucking good burgers. A lot of skaters hanging out here as well.

Check out Doom Bar for a drink, Daro Cafe for a hangover curing breakfast, and every corner stores small porch for a nice place for beer, cigs, and shit talking.

Oh, and take the time to memorize the Cyrillic alphabet, it'll help you loads.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 12:43:57 AM »
Thanks for the update. Sofia sounds awesome!
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 01:03:00 AM »
Here is a video some friends made to represent the skate scene in Sofia. There are some good spots and places to visit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leMttm1EN4M

ps: there some good places in other cities, too (at the sea side Burgas has some crazy street spots and a big concrete park where each year there is the international contest Burgas skate open, varna at the sea side is also very good skate destination, Tzarevo- a small town at the sea with a nice bowl and a place to camp, Stara Zagora with good street spots and brand new suer good concrete park, Plovdiv, Dobrich ect...)