Author Topic: San Diego Parks  (Read 2090 times)

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
San Diego Parks
« on: March 30, 2018, 10:52:25 AM »
Most of the other San Diego threads focused on street spots so I figured I'd ask separately about parks.

Heading out there in a few weeks with the family but am hoping to get some skate time you alone. What are some decent parks I might want to hit? Google says I'm about 15 min north of WSVT.

Really want to make it to Washington Street and that Linda Vista park looks neat too. Any others worth checking out? I guess I prefer a mix of big and little transitions - not much into plain big bowls or strictly street settings.

Also, any tips on not kooking myself at Washington Street? Are mornings more chill? Is it regularly open in the AM or does it just depend on if someone shows up to open it? Is there a construction project currently in progress?

fulloffact

Re: San Diego Parks
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »
I'm not much of a tranny skater but went to Washington Street once and it was as gnarly as it looks on video. It's right off of I-5 near the airport so it shouldn't be too hard to find. If you're trying to skate tranny and not look like a kook I'd recommend going to the Shockus skatepark (ocean beach). It's got tranny for days and a lot less sketchy than Washington st.

The new Linda Vista park is dope, it's best to go in morning during the week since kids are at school. On the weekend timing doesn't matter it's flooded with people especially bikes and scooters. Theirs a full pipe there a few bowls.

Less than a 10 minute drive from the airport you have memo park, Kimball park, and chicano park. All of them are dope except chicano's got cracks in the ground every so often. Kimball and memo are pretty much all street, chicano's a mix of both.

If you don't mind the drive, the alga Norte park in Carlsbad is decent for street/tranny. It's exit 44 off the 5.

I'm not a local, but have lived in San Diego for the past 5 years so if you need help finding parks feel free to hit me up.

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 03:54:04 PM »
FWIW my favorite SD parks are:

Memorial - big variety of stuff, good sized, good flow, hilarious locals
Encinitas Street Plaza - One of the best street plaza type parks ever IMO.
Rancho Penqsquitos - PQ - super fun place, nice locals, gets crowded after school lets out

Eskorbut0

• Rep: -2
  • Be careful what you wish for
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 04:30:28 PM »
Check out Pala skatepark and Valley Center Skate spot too! A lil more inland SD but worth the trip! VC Is a diy and reminds me of a wsvt jr. Pala is $5, no pads required. Big upside is that these parks are usually empty and they’re some of the best around.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 05:35:07 PM »
Memo definitely has transition.

Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 08:31:02 AM »
Check out  Valley Center Skate spot too! A lil more inland SD but worth the trip! VC Is a diy and reminds me of a wsvt jr.

Valley Center is super fun. Willie, I remember a video of you skating some DIY under a bridge. VC is really similar. Mostly small to medium size tranny. You'd like it. And if you work up enough of an appetite skating; a block away at this place called Fat Ivors, they have all you can eat beef ribs for $15.
https://goo.gl/images/7nRBjx

We've had  new parks opening left and right the last 6 months around here.
Linda Vista is amazing. Go early. Or at night. Lights on until 9.

There is a new park in City Heights. Really fun. And a little less hectic since all the hype is about LV right now.
https://skateboarding.transworld.net/photos/san-diegos-new-city-heights-skatepark/

Depending on how far north you are; Vista has a new one. Actually 2. Bowl park and street park a block apart.
https://goo.gl/images/syi4F6
I haven't been to that one yet.

Not kooking it at WSVT? It's usually pretty mellow in the mornings. And the locals aren't as gnarly as the rumors may lead you to believe. But pretty much only one person can skate the park at a time. So look all around before you drop/roll in.

Rancho Penasquitos is my personal favorite park. It has everything. And it's really nice and spread out so collisions are rare.

Enjoy!

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 07:19:55 AM »
Thanks for all the tips! I found out I'm staying near Ocean Beach so I'm not sure how far North I'll make it. I may get a half day to myself but for the most part I'm going to be with my kids and trying to make the most of 2 hr breaks when everyone else is tired. It looks like there is a ton of great stuff out there! I might even have a backyard bowl lined up as well.

Here's hoping I don't bust my ribs on the first day like my last trip to San Francisco!

Also: Any recommendations for short hikes in the area?

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 09:32:14 AM »
Thanks for all the tips! I found out I'm staying near Ocean Beach so I'm not sure how far North I'll make it. I may get a half day to myself but for the most part I'm going to be with my kids and trying to make the most of 2 hr breaks when everyone else is tired. It looks like there is a ton of great stuff out there! I might even have a backyard bowl lined up as well.

Here's hoping I don't bust my ribs on the first day like my last trip to San Francisco!

Also: Any recommendations for short hikes in the area?

Torrey pines is a pretty chill hike right on the beach

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 10:22:45 PM »
Just got back from SD. A huge thanks to everyone who gave pointers.

I ended up skating way less than I anticipated because I was trying not to be a completely shitty dad.

The first day I tried to hit Washington St but it was closed, then tried to go to City Heights but found the wrong one, and ended up at Linda Vista. Had another night session at Linda Vista because I was certain it was lit. Got one other skate day where I hit Big City Heights and Washington St.

Washington St. was super hard. I'm an FDR local but it was way harder to keep speed at WS despite a generally smoother surface. Transitions were hella kinky. The coping is gnarlier that gnarly.

City Heights was fun although really all I wanted to do was go back and forth lengthwise, ollie a few times, repeat. The big bowl was neat too.

Linda Vista was pretty great. I had a few quibbles like the light plus deathbox in the one bowl being overkill, the overall usefulness of the full pipe and monster bowls but it's all rather impressive either way. The locals killed it and I was bummed that we don't have a similar training ground in Philly.

Only 'hiking' we managed was along the coast near Children's Beach in La Jolla but it was beautiful.

It's really amazing country out there and would love to spend more time out there or move there (although I get the impression that 9 million other people got the same idea).