Author Topic: From Seattle, WA to Bend, OR  (Read 1921 times)

Andmoreagain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 51
From Seattle, WA to Bend, OR
« on: April 03, 2018, 06:45:54 AM »
I know this area has been covered before, but I figured I'd get a fresh take, since new parks seem to pop up every week over there.   :)

I'm visiting family in Seattle towards the end of the month and I decided to take some extra time off to drive around the PNW and visit some friends out there. I know it's gonna be rainy, but I'd like to hit up as many parks/spots as possible while I'm out there. I have places to crash in Seattle, Bellingham, Portland, and Bend.

What are the must skate spots in those areas? I'm mainly into tranny, especially mid-sized weird stuff.

Also taking recommendations on hikes and other non-skate stuff!

Thanks!

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
Re: From Seattle, WA to Bend, OR
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 11:44:04 PM »
Seattle:
Marginal Way
Judkins
River City Skate park (weird ass park but really fun)
Benefit park (pretty much no tranny but spitting distance from my house so I always plug it)

Renton Skate park is lit until 9-9:30

Hike
Lake Annette(?)

Andmoreagain

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 10:19:47 AM »
Seattle:
Marginal Way
Judkins
River City Skate park (weird ass park but really fun)
Benefit park (pretty much no tranny but spitting distance from my house so I always plug it)

Renton Skate park is lit until 9-9:30

Hike
Lake Annette(?)

Whoa River City looks sick! I always wondered what that was when i saw it in video. Def making a stop. Thanks!

LeeMellonsTeeth

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 12:50:52 PM »
Most of the really fun hikes near the mountains will probably still have snow until summer.

Oyster Dome is a classic Bellingham hike 10 minutes from downtown that will be fine. Worth doing on a sunny day. Good view of the San Juans.

Sedro Woolley is a fun park near Bellingham. La Conner is another mellow tranny park in that area. Tulalip is a good new park between Seattle and Bellingham, just past Everett.

So many fun parks down here in Seattle. Judkins and Jefferson always good. Ballard Bowl, Northgate, and Lower Woodland are all in my neck of the woods. Lots of small parks too, like Crown Hill (concrete mini). Benefit that was already mentioned is worth checking out if you're at Jefferson or Judkins.

Port Orchard is one of my favorites in the area. It's an hour drive or ferry ride away from Seattle.

Hit up the Hood River park on your way to Bend if you end up taking that route. Fun little covered area if it's raining too!

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 09:21:49 PM »
If you hit up Hood River, go around to the other side of the mountain and hike Hunchback.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 09:39:31 AM »
Bend has three parks. 

Newest is Rockridge and it is a flow park made by Evergreen.  It is mid sized transition and weird.  Every corner of it is weird. It is interesting and worth a few hours, but it is set up poorly in that you have to skate the entire park as one bowl and if there are more than two people in it there are going to be collisions. You HAVE to be done skating by the time school gets out and the scooter kids get there, or late when they are at home.
http://evergreenskateparks.com/bend-oregon-skatepark

Ponderosa has two parks.  One is the newer "Pondy 2" park which is a street park and mildly interesting.    https://www.skateboard.com.au/skateparks/united-states-of-america/ponderosa-park-skatepark/

The original Pondy sucks and was poured by a local concrete company in the late 90s.  Not worth visiting.

There are sweet parks in the area, just not in Bend.  If you are planning a loop to go back to Portland I would drive to Eugene in the AM and skate WJ then drive to Bend and stop at Sisters for an evening session. Sisters is my favorite central Oregon park.  4-6 foot bowl with lots of angles and hips, then a big 6-10 foot bowl, and lastly a full on swimming pool replica with a tight transition and a death box. https://www.skatein.com/skateparks/united-states/sisters/sisters-oregon-skatepark/

The next day you could skate Rockridge in the morning, then rent a mountain bike in the afternoon or just drink beer at one of the 24 breweries. There is also surfing in the river, rock climbing at Smith Rock, snowboarding at Bachelor until end of May, some cool caves to explore.

Then head back to Portland past Mt Hood.  If it is a Saturday or Sunday do a quick stop in Madras then get to Windells (http://windells.com/openskate/).  If it is a weekday, stop in Redmond, then do a good session in Madras. https://www.dreamlandskateparks.com/oregon/#block-yui_3_10_1_1_1397511093860_67544

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:42:40 AM by backinaction »

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 06:54:56 PM »
If you are in the federal way area go check out 35th ave, the best of the best. And go to bellingham park, it is super sick. Stop in by unknown downtown and go say hi to craig and zac. They are the sickest

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 07:01:53 PM »
If you are in the federal way area go check out 35th ave, the best of the best. And go to bellingham park, it is super sick. Stop in by unknown downtown and go say hi to craig and zac. They are the sickest

35th North and Black Market are in Seattle and are really cool shops too. 35th north is right around the corner from Cal Anderson and you can usually find a good amount of folks skating the courts there.

Andmoreagain

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 12:04:01 PM »
These tips have got me psyched to go. Heading out Friday. I think im gonna hit up the town where the goonies was filmed too.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 11:27:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

35th North and Black Market are in Seattle and are really cool shops too. 35th north is right around the corner from Cal Anderson and you can usually find a good amount of folks skating the courts there.

Go say whats good to psycho Mike at 35th North. He is the man behind the courts.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 08:28:21 PM »
These tips have got me psyched to go. Heading out Friday. I think im gonna hit up the town where the goonies was filmed too.

Astoria, Or is the most depressing place i've ever lived. That was over 7 years ago though and I was a Job Corps student. Free Willy and The Ring 2 were also filmed there.

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 08:58:12 PM »
You probably know this, but it's much drier east of the mountains. So the weather is much more likely to be nice in Bend than anywhere else on your list.

Bellingham is great, but if you're pressed for time I'd skip it. It's not that special for skating compared to Seattle and Portland. If you do go, I second what's been said about La Conner and Sedro-Woolley.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 11:42:52 AM »
Hey, what else is there in Bellingham to check out other than skate stuff? 

What are the best street based parks in the PNW?