Author Topic: SkateRide is out!  (Read 3403 times)

SkateRide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
SkateRide is out!
« on: April 03, 2018, 06:03:35 PM »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJRmxEdotk

It's for Window PC but playable on Mac (with WineBottler).
Controller seriously recommended.

It's available on itch.io, same place as the demo.
https://skateride.itch.io/skateride
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 11:48:15 PM by SkateRide »

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: SkateRide is coming out April 15
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 10:05:04 PM »
Just downloaded and gave the demo a try, I don't have a controller that hooks up to my computer so I played with the keyboard which I know you said isn't recommended. I'm really impressed with the execution and everything I just wish I could figure out the game better. I figured out how to grind and slide but everything else was giving me a really tough time. At least there was a controls menu but I would really appreciate a trick tip video that teaches you the basics, I could see myself getting really into this if only I could actually land something
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

SkateRide

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 08:29:09 AM »
Hey! The game has a pretty steep learning curve and a bunch of info to process.
Controller help with the comfort and more precision for turns because of the analog but it's still possible to play with keyboard.

A tutorial vid is a good idea, but for now you can watch video impression from RadRat and Nightspeeds. They do a good job of explaining while discovering the game.

You can hit me up on my contact page if you want more particular info but here's the basic:

- Select your trick with number key (1-4). You can combine them to have a shuv + flip
- Alternate trick result with "R key" to change the shuv speed and/or "F key" to change the flip speed
- Shuv speed red is 360 rotation, green is 180 and yellow is for 90 degree.
- Changing flip speed is more for style. Red is fast speed and help with flip to grind. Yellow is slow and just look cool down stuff.
- Spacebar to snap trick, and spacebar again to land your trick.
- Body rotation are not link to the board like other games. To bs flip, you need to do a varial flip and turn 180 after snap to catch the board, then spacebar to land.

Like I said, the learning curve is pretty hard. You'll need determination and perseverance, but were all skaters so it should be a given!  ;)
Learning a specific trick and trying to land it should be the way to go. After a while you should develop a "bag of tricks". All your tricks will come up more naturally. In THPS, you could spam trick without thinking. My game is pretty much to opposite of that.

Thanks for the comment, good luck and keep skating!

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 08:54:51 PM »
I figured it out! Gotta put more time into playing but yeah, it is like thrasher meets 720! Rad concept, sick execution. Never had a controller for pc but I am interested in getting one now just for this game. Any recommendations? I'm a PlayStation guy not an Xbox guy if that makes a difference
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 03:37:03 AM »
I figured it out! Gotta put more time into playing but yeah, it is like thrasher meets 720! Rad concept, sick execution. Never had a controller for pc but I am interested in getting one now just for this game. Any recommendations? I'm a PlayStation guy not an Xbox guy if that makes a difference

I know with mac, you can use a PS3/4 controller... It connects seamlessly through bluetooth, so I assume it should work the same with a windows based PC.

Also, what is winebottler and how does it work? I went on their website and it's a lot of technical shit but I still don't really understand what it does. I'd love to try the game but I'm not super computer savvy unfortunately.

SkateRide

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 02:51:05 PM »
... Any recommendations? I'm a PlayStation guy not an Xbox guy if that makes a difference

PlayStation controller work with the game, you just have to re-configure it at the start of the game using backspace.

If you don't want to bother with the configuration in-game, there's a "Xbox 360 Controller Emulator" that allows your controller (gamepad, joystick, wheel, etc.) to function as an Xbox 360 controller. Here's the GitHub link: https://github.com/x360ce/x360ce#readme

Also, what is winebottler and how does it work? I went on their website and it's a lot of technical shit but I still don't really understand what it does. I'd love to try the game but I'm not super computer savvy unfortunately.

WineBottler let you play window executable on Mac. I don't have a Mac but my buddy recently install it. Here's what I remember when I did it with him:
1- Make your controller work on Mac. For xbox 360 controller, you need a driver... not sure for PlayStation.
2- Download WineBottler (stable version) and install it (slide WineBottler and Wine in app folder)
3- Open Wine with Command + Open (since it's not from the app store)
       (you should have a glass of wine on your taskbar (upper right) to let you know it's running)
4- Open SkateRide and choose Wine as default program to run it
      (some files will be created when it runs for the first time)

you can hit me on my contact page if you need support:
SkateRideContact@gmail

I did a quick post on my itch.io page for mac use, so you can reply there too, community might have better solution, but you'll need an free account.
https://skateride.itch.io/skateride/devlog/29547/playable-on-mac

Hope you're able to make it work!

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 12:43:04 AM »
WineBottler let you play window executable on Mac...

Cool, thanks for the info! I seemed simple based on their website, but a lot of times when it seems simple I end up being told I need to go into terminal and fix some code or something way over my head... I'll give it a try.

Mark Szlapkowski

• Rep: 1
  • ..."introduced information husbandry"
    • Community Memory avatar image
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 02:04:12 PM »

poptart pete

• Rep: 95
  • i like my asses fat not flat
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: SkateRide is out!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 04:45:49 PM »
bought it. love the game, hyped it works on macbook/ps4 controller
RIP T.Dog

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 11:19:05 PM »
Any plans to put this on Switch? It'd be so rad on there.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 02:05:36 PM »
looks so sick. i'll be playing this on my pc at work
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.