Author Topic: Things You Don't "Get" (Old Man Rant) Thread  (Read 54035 times)

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Things You Don't "Get" (Old Man Rant) Thread
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2018, 12:24:14 AM »
Expand Quote
  (I meant to quote silloette right here)   In front of his ultra kooky all white audience he talks brutally about dj music  which actually is hip hop and it started in Jamaca (dancehall).  Hip hop appealed to black people  in part because white people had appropriated  jazz and rock (and also because hip hop is good music).  So Rollins goes in about "sam cookes sweat" cause he's a jazz snob fuck and thinks it gives him creditbility.  He veers his dialoge so that its sounds like he's taking aim at "rave" music when in fact by definition he's condemning hip hop but he doesn't say the words 'hip hop' cause that would make him look like a complete racist (wolf in sheeps clothing).  Seriously tho fuck that 40 y/o audience for laughing at Rollins' 'jokes' and same with anybody who would go to a Joe Rogan stand up and laugh at/support his non funny shit too.  Rave music was sick as fuck anyway.
[close]

ok.........dude you're wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start....ok first off I hate this "appropriation" concept. Music and culture and ideas is supposed to transcend color and disseminate across society, not stay confined where it started. Or you think skateboarding is a white boy sport too?
also no, he does not mean hip hop. he talks explicitly about the euro electronic scene, which has been huge for over 20 years. And by the way in the 90's, hip hop and house/techno did not mix at all. Those 2 scenes were total ennemies believe me.
Finally if you're a musician, you know electronic music has become so easy to make with current software. Compared to the work it takes to get a band to sound tight, it's like comparing skating to rollerblading.
Oh and Sam Cooke ain't jazz....

Well you may "hate" the word appropriation but jazz blues n rythym ect was refered to as 'negro music' by white society for decades.  They had to have different radio stations for black people.
  And the words I heard him say were a direct slap in the face to hip hop, "your not a musician you don't do shit you sample records"  he says that shit plain as day and he was talking about "dj's".  Again djing house dancehall rap hip hop whatever originate from the same people's culture as jazz and blues.  And yes dude I get that rave music and hip hop weren't mixing culturally in the 90s but they were both coming from 70s new York dj culture which came from dancehall, come on.  Lets hear him explain exactly what a dj does to a drunk hip hop audience instead of the coffee crowd.   
 "Getting your band to sound tight" and producing music that people will enjoy are 2 separate things although not mutually exclusive, they are not the same.  I hope that as many 'musicians' realize this get their shit together instead of blaming pro tools and other people.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 01:39:27 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2018, 01:35:54 AM »
not to get into a drawn-out argument....especially over a Rollins rant! You can take it or leave it.
But you have to stop thinking in black and white terms...Electronic music, rock, and yes even jazz also have white roots. It's not just "black" music. It's american society that tries to draw clear lines. A lot of the first jazz players were mixed and had received classical music training, in La Nouvelle Orleans you know?

If everybody followed your line of thinking, skating would still be for blond surfer types and Afrika Bambaatta would have never sampled Kraftwerk....

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2018, 01:47:12 AM »
not to get into a drawn-out argument....especially over a Rollins rant! You can take it or leave it.
But you have to stop thinking in black and white terms...Electronic music, rock, and yes even jazz also have white roots. It's not just "black" music. It's american society that tries to draw clear lines. A lot of the first jazz players were mixed and had received classical music training, in La Nouvelle Orleans you know?

If everybody followed your line of thinking, skating would still be for blond surfer types and Afrika Bambaatta would have never sampled Kraftwerk....

It's not "my line of thinking" its a real live truth.  Skaters get shit on but they've never been arrested' murdered or harassed for the specific reason that the bulk of it's participants were\are white.  Other activities where the predomitant amount of particapants are black the police have history of targeting and murdering (not to mention other authorities who fuck over black people).  The skate comparison you made kinda sucks cause your not showing you get the diff. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:02:49 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »

bawtawd9

« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2018, 03:37:20 AM »
Rollins is the most unfunny motherfucker, he's like a fake angry dane cook.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2018, 08:44:26 AM »
hypebeasts who wear clothes that don't match at all just because of the brands they're made by

6ix9ine and lil pump

the fact that the cash me outside girl has a beef with another wannabe rapper girl with rich parents and a 9 year old whose ig account is managed by the girl who acted as icarly in the tween show icarly

nollie kickflips

virgil abloh

the hate that pineapple pizza gets
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

shark tits

« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2018, 08:54:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
  It's not "my line of thinking" its a real live truth.  Skaters get shit on but they've never been arrested' murdered or harassed for the specific reason that the bulk of it's participants were\are white.  Other activities where the predomitant amount of particapants are black the police have history of targeting and murdering (not to mention other authorities who fuck over black people).  The skate comparison you made kinda sucks cause your not showing you get the diff.

give surfing back to polynesian cannibal groms.
everyone borrows from everyone, if it's rad. if it isn't rad, it gets left out of the anals of history. jazz was made on european instruments by african people. that's collab right there. dj's didn't invent dj equipment. rappers [ones that count anyways] rap in english. pre-mexicans invented soccer [using a severed head for a ball]. white dude invented basketball w/ peach baskets.
if everyone took their ball and went home i think germany and japan would have all the cool stuff.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2018, 01:44:31 PM »
  That's clever! ha.  Uh yah I'm glad that cultures mix ya know but I'm not thinking that rules out 'appropriation' as a reality.  Sure people I get that it's a discussion that can get whored around but don't let that fact get us to throw the baby out with the bath water.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2018, 03:37:20 PM »
I pretty much started drinking coffee black to avoid the cream/sugar stations.....

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2018, 05:12:18 PM »
I pretty much started drinking coffee black to avoid the cream/sugar stations.....

I started drinking black coffee while I was mining in northern Alberta because that's all we had

Now, some 18 years later it's the same. I want to taste coffee, not sugar and cream. 

Just doesn't do it for me
Gentleman ninja warlock

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2018, 05:16:14 PM »
hypebeasts who wear clothes that don't match at all just because of the brands they're made by

6ix9ine and lil pump

the fact that the cash me outside girl has a beef with another wannabe rapper girl with rich parents and a 9 year old whose ig account is managed by the girl who acted as icarly in the tween show icarly

nollie kickflips

virgil abloh

Seriously. Hawaiian pizza is amazing. I can't explain it. I can only taste it.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2018, 05:32:14 PM »
yes, let's unite in our rants boys! I don't think Frenchie posted that to get into some huge discussion about origins of music either, he was just posting another old man ranting. Rants don't have to be logical or even justified, that's the beauty of them.

I fucking despise Jiggers (Japanese Wiggers) who think they look gangsta by skating around a semi enclosed skatepark while smoking cigarettes. Sure sit down and have a break/ smoke or whatever but I don't want/ need to inhale the pollution that comes out of your decomposing lungs every time I go to hit up the funbox. I guess the beauty/ irony (and darwinism?) in all of this is that they actually pay corporations to (slowly) kill themselves ... just wish it would work a bit quicker :-\ Dear Jiggers, I don't get you, can you just go and die somewhere else please?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:36:52 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2018, 09:36:19 PM »
Expand Quote
  (I meant to quote silloette right here)   In front of his ultra kooky all white audience he talks brutally about dj music  which actually is hip hop and it started in Jamaca (dancehall).  Hip hop appealed to black people  in part because white people had appropriated  jazz and rock (and also because hip hop is good music).  So Rollins goes in about "sam cookes sweat" cause he's a jazz snob fuck and thinks it gives him creditbility.  He veers his dialoge so that its sounds like he's taking aim at "rave" music when in fact by definition he's condemning hip hop but he doesn't say the words 'hip hop' cause that would make him look like a complete racist (wolf in sheeps clothing).  Seriously tho fuck that 40 y/o audience for laughing at Rollins' 'jokes' and same with anybody who would go to a Joe Rogan stand up and laugh at/support his non funny shit too.  Rave music was sick as fuck anyway.
[close]

ok.........dude you're wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start....ok first off I hate this "appropriation" concept. Music and culture and ideas is supposed to transcend color and disseminate across society, not stay confined where it started. Or you think skateboarding is a white boy sport too?
also no, he does not mean hip hop. he talks explicitly about the euro electronic scene, which has been huge for over 20 years. And by the way in the 90's, hip hop and house/techno did not mix at all. Those 2 scenes were total ennemies believe me.
Finally if you're a musician, you know electronic music has become so easy to make with current software. Compared to the work it takes to get a band to sound tight, it's like comparing skating to rollerblading.

I've been playing drums for 30 years, and producing and making electronic music for about a decade, and I'm confident in saying that playing in a band is 100 times easier than producing for me.  Its a lot more than pressing a couple buttons and music comes out.  Its more akin to composing for and conducting to a room full of musicians, except you are also every musician, not to mention functioning as a recording engineer. 

I also DJ, mostly with a computer and dj controller,and sometimes with vinyl.  I have respect for vinyl djs, but for the most part it is a fetish and largely impractical.  I could bring a crate of records to an event to stoke my own ego, or I could use the DJ controller and play a way better set.  Again, its not just pressing play, there's still a lot that goes into it (taste and selection goes a lot farther than mixing skill in my opinion, but I have a lot of respect for people that excel in that area).  I think its criminal that DJs are so celebrated though.  At the end of the day its just for fun and not to be taken so seriously.

That Rollins rant is completely out of touch and embarrassing.  Electronic music, hip hop, etc owes just as much to Krautrock and Music Concrete as it does to anything else.  Like most art forms, it can't be traced back to one source. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2018, 12:17:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've been playing drums for 30 years, and producing and making electronic music for about a decade, and I'm confident in saying that playing in a band is 100 times easier than producing for me.  Its a lot more than pressing a couple buttons and music comes out.  Its more akin to composing for and conducting to a room full of musicians, except you are also every musician, not to mention functioning as a recording engineer. 

I also DJ, mostly with a computer and dj controller,and sometimes with vinyl.  I have respect for vinyl djs, but for the most part it is a fetish and largely impractical.  I could bring a crate of records to an event to stoke my own ego, or I could use the DJ controller and play a way better set.  Again, its not just pressing play, there's still a lot that goes into it (taste and selection goes a lot farther than mixing skill in my opinion, but I have a lot of respect for people that excel in that area).  I think its criminal that DJs are so celebrated though.  At the end of the day its just for fun and not to be taken so seriously.

That Rollins rant is completely out of touch and embarrassing.  Electronic music, hip hop, etc owes just as much to Krautrock and Music Concrete as it does to anything else.  Like most art forms, it can't be traced back to one source.

really? I've been playing for 30 years too.....(bass) And I did electronic music for about 10 years as well. Even had an LP out on a small French label with that project. So I'm really surprised by your statement. First off, in a band, you rely on other people. Which makes everything so much more complicated than doing everything yourself. At least for me.
And second, when it comes to recording/producing, it's just so much easier with electronic stuff, everything happens inside the computer.....As a drummer you know how much work it is to record a drum track right?!

Also, notice I said "with current software"...Before Ableton Live came out, it took us fucking hours to get a sample in sync on a track. Now it's basically one second with a flick of the mouse.
Totally agree on the DJ stuff though: yes it's fun, but not to be taken too seriously. My main gripe is that it's partly killed the live band scene here in Europe. When I was around 18, there were so many underground shows and a young band could find places to play easily. 20 years later, that's just gone. Most places just get a DJ for the night.

Gay Imp: yeah that's exactly it! did not mean to get into a long discussion about music.....
(but I'm about as passionate about music as I am about skating so I could not resist answering Augustmoon........)

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2018, 07:06:22 AM »
Expand Quote

6ix9ine and lil pump

nollie kickflips

virgil abloh

[close]

Seriously. Hawaiian pizza is amazing. I can't explain it. I can only taste it.

reminds me of the hate that tom cruise, clowns, ketchup and mayonnaise get. I know certain people genuinely hate these things but at some point hating these things became a thing.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2018, 08:22:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

really? I've been playing for 30 years too.....(bass) And I did electronic music for about 10 years as well. Even had an LP out on a small French label with that project. So I'm really surprised by your statement. First off, in a band, you rely on other people. Which makes everything so much more complicated than doing everything yourself. At least for me.
And second, when it comes to recording/producing, it's just so much easier with electronic stuff, everything happens inside the computer.....As a drummer you know how much work it is to record a drum track right?!

Also, notice I said "with current software"...Before Ableton Live came out, it took us fucking hours to get a sample in sync on a track. Now it's basically one second with a flick of the mouse.
Totally agree on the DJ stuff though: yes it's fun, but not to be taken too seriously. My main gripe is that it's partly killed the live band scene here in Europe. When I was around 18, there were so many underground shows and a young band could find places to play easily. 20 years later, that's just gone. Most places just get a DJ for the night.

Gay Imp: yeah that's exactly it! did not mean to get into a long discussion about music.....
(but I'm about as passionate about music as I am about skating so I could not resist answering Augustmoon........)

i agree with you about the dj stuff.  its pretty infuriating that i can get a couple hundred bucks for a dj night with my laptop and controller, and i might make 40 bucks if I'm lucky for a show of original music after bringing out my own gear.

with the production stuff, I guess it's all about how much you put into it.  there will always be those people (trap rap, etc) that are just going to fire up garage band and copy the hottest beat using the same presets.

i'm really into hardware drum machines and synths, so I don't do anything "in the box" except for mixing.  I might spend days making drum sound, for instance.  I also play live with hardware, and its a lot harder for me to play synth with two hands, while triggering sequencers, and changing drum patterns, than it is for me to get behind a drum set and bang away.  I've gotten into modular synths the last few years and that's a whole 'nother world of complicated.  I think the worst part of being in a band is all of the politics and drama with other members; playing in a regular band almost feels like a vacation to me at this point. 

before I got into this stuff, I felt the same way.  i thought it wasn't "real" music and didn't take any talent or effort.  now, on the rare occasion i play in a regular band, i get pretty bored.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2018, 02:36:53 PM »
if something gets 'easier' I feel more talent will try to access it. It's gotta be about expression.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2018, 04:29:24 PM »
if something gets 'easier' I feel more talent will try to access it. It's gotta be about expression.

I agree with this. As far as music goes, I don't really dig much of the popular electronic or rap stuff thats trendy now, but the fact that it's getting kids hyped to create is something I can't be mad at. If all they need is a laptop and some pirated software to make their own song, then great. Less learning curve means you get to spend more time creating what you want.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2018, 12:31:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree with this. As far as music goes, I don't really dig much of the popular electronic or rap stuff thats trendy now, but the fact that it's getting kids hyped to create is something I can't be mad at. If all they need is a laptop and some pirated software to make their own song, then great. Less learning curve means you get to spend more time creating what you want.

yeah that's why scootering is better than skating and bodyboarding is better than surfing....it's more accessible so you can express yourself! Right ok. See where that thinking leads?

->Augustmoon: ok I get where you're coming from, if you're using hardware it's totally different. Also get the "band drama" thing believe me haha.... anyways the modular synth trip is a total rabbit hole. I have a friend who's super into it, building his own generators and shit. He'll probably never leave his flat again!!

So! Back to old men rants here.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukisoucFIk4

SOTY

« Reply #138 on: April 24, 2018, 05:30:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah that's why scootering is better than skating and bodyboarding is better than surfing....it's more accessible so you can express yourself! Right ok. See where that thinking leads?
Your favourite skater must be Nigel. His tricks are sooper hard.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 09:54:49 AM by SOTY »

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2018, 06:36:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

everyone who rides a scooter instead of a skateboard or a boogie board instead of a surf board knows they're lame. they may not act like it, but they know. if someone is ok with being lame, i dont give a shit.

but i do think its great that if someone wants to take a shot at music they can do it without much of a commitment and probably pick it up fast enough to keep interest. how many kids do you think get guitars when they're really young and what percent of them give up because it takes too long to get to the point where you can actually play something that doesn't sound like shit or because their fingers hurt after one lesson. i bet its pretty high. the squier strat was a pretty common dust collector in many of my friends bedrooms growing up.

sure, they've made it so riduclously easy that we've had to put up with more and more garbage "producers" and musicians, but i don't have to listen to them and i dont give a shit what they do but i like the idea that they're having fun with music. music is for everyone and there's no right way to do it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2018, 08:14:52 AM »
Jesus you guys fucked up a perfectly good thread....

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2018, 08:27:30 AM »
Jesus you guys fucked up a perfectly good thread....
Old man rants is a slippery slope my friend...
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2018, 12:19:23 PM »
  Body boarding is as old as standup surfing.  It's sick as fuck.  I haven't got into it yet but I've seen people out.  In mexico culturally I found it was wave dependant.  More than half the time I was seeing surfdudes on they're boogie board.  It's not like that other places but I figure they know whats up.  Mexicos the shit. But what could possibly be wrong with it anyway?  Scootering and snowboarding might be wack but it's probably fun (edit actually I don't think snowboarding is fun compared to skateboarding)  Dirt scooter jumps with a dirt scooter might be fun.  I'd try one.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 12:24:13 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2018, 03:32:48 PM »
Snowboarding back country is fun as fuck. I wish I could do it again!

It's not skateboarding but I'd back country as much as I could still if my knee wasn't fucked
Gentleman ninja warlock

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2018, 04:48:38 PM »

It's not skateboarding but I'd back country as much as I could still if my knee wasn't fucked
  Maybe one of the bindingless setups would be easier on your knee.  Asmo is a sick company to check out if you like pow.   

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2018, 06:03:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
  Maybe one of the bindingless setups would be easier on your knee.  Asmo is a sick company to check out if you like pow.

Thanks for the suggestion, genuinely appreciate it.

But if you recall I totally blew out my knee 16 months ago and it's taking forever to rehab because I have "reflex sympathetic dystrophy (fancy way of saying nerve damage that makes the healing time 4-6x longer).

I'm just stoked I can walk for the last 4 months without crutches.

Safe to say you'll never see me snowboard again.

Right now I'm just on a big push to get back on a skateboard this summer, even if it's just rolling around I'd be super happy(and I'm on track for that!)
Gentleman ninja warlock

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2018, 06:18:26 PM »
  You can have fun rollin around or some biking.  Good luck, the good vibe heals I think.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2018, 06:47:07 PM »
  You can have fun rollin around or some biking.  Good luck, the good vibe heals I think.

I almost have the range of motion to bike! Once I can bike/swim I know I'll recover waaaaay faster!

Come on summer!
Gentleman ninja warlock

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2018, 05:37:09 PM »
*bumps*

#woke people who believe that corporate hiphop is haven for occult sex rituals and satanic messages/ run by illuminati etc.

back story: so a while ago this dude asks me for advice about vegan food in Tokyo on insta and I oblige. I don't even think anything of it, but when I'm looking back through my DMs he's changed his name to escape_the_matrix or something equally cringeworthy so I decide to give him a follow for a laugh ... well I guess that was first mistake right?
So they make some post about Drake being gay and the comments section is a fucking cesspool, like literally the worst shit. I say something like, "rather be gay than be a homophobic arsehole" and this morning there's like 25 insightful replies by dude like lilstoner_420 "what's wrong with being a homophobe you faggot? 'they' planted the gay seed in us, you #fakewoke"

fucking hell... Professor Griff would be proud I guess?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 06:42:52 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2018, 06:27:23 PM »
i dont understand why meme pages with hundreds of thousands of followers have private profiles on instagram. my friends send me stupid shit all the time from @lameassmemeslol or some other bullshit and it always comes up as private. i dont get the point of the private page if it's not even a personal page.

i also dont get why people like stupid instagram celebrities like fatjew or that slutwhisperer guy. im sure there are more, but those two come to my mind. ill get sent their pages once in a while too and im always shocked at how many of my friends who i thought i respected follow those losers.