Author Topic: Things You Don't "Get" (Old Man Rant) Thread  (Read 54040 times)

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
Re: Things You Don't "Get" (Old Man Rant) Thread
« Reply #240 on: July 05, 2018, 03:20:53 PM »
I totally get that they stress dogs out and that aspect of them sucks.  My dogs are 14 and 15 and are mostly deaf so it didn't bother them.  One thing that I like about fireworks is listening to them as I go to sleep and being so thankful I don't live somewhere that has actual bombs/gunfire going off. Definitely lucky in that aspect living in the U.S. (within suburbia anyway).
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Sad Hippo

« Reply #241 on: July 05, 2018, 07:32:23 PM »
I’m old, but I don’t get the old man slappy Sunday skate crew shit. It’s like they gave up on progression and should probably just quit. Ollie in to a grind and flip your board ffs. There’s dudes in their 40s killing it, you’re embarrassing yourselves.

Francis Xavier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #242 on: July 05, 2018, 09:30:13 PM »
I’m old, but I don’t get the old man slappy Sunday skate crew shit. It’s like they gave up on progression and should probably just quit. Ollie in to a grind and flip your board ffs. There’s dudes in their 40s killing it, you’re embarrassing yourselves.
Curbs are fun though. I ate shit on one last week so bad someone driving by did a u-turn to make sure I was ok. Pretty sad, but funny. Some older dudes pump the bowls at the park fully padded and others hit curbs. I think for a lot of them hopping a fence as a grown man isn't in the cards when they can get coffee and skate at the nearest park before going back to real life

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #243 on: July 05, 2018, 10:51:02 PM »
Easy now....there are kids in their 20's who I see that are worse.....sorry if we all can't be AVE.... Sure it's annoying when they pound on their chest skating something six inches high but if that floats their boat so be it.....more often than not they are a whole lot shittier without skating....some hungry kid is prolly clowning on you....

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #244 on: July 05, 2018, 10:56:46 PM »
Slappies are much more enjoyable to watch than kids who only skate in perfectly built concrete parks or TFs.

And not all of us have access to much more skate stuff. I only have curbs and curb high manual pads where I live and I'm not about to give up skating because theres nothing else to skate.

How is this not cool?

https://youtu.be/itEVF9pfF0E

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #245 on: July 05, 2018, 11:02:30 PM »
I don't think progression and slappies are mutually exclusive. I still try to learn new tricks, including flip and ledge tricks, but I also like to do slappies sometimes. Slappies actually took a lot of trying for me to learn. They're a weird trick. Still have to figure out backside ones better. Frontside are easier for me.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 11:20:09 PM by ChuckRamone »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #246 on: July 05, 2018, 11:33:14 PM »

I stopped flipping my board at 25 because my knees were shot....almost 20 years later I'm still skating around and I don't miss it at all.
Not everyone ages the same you know. some dudes can still rip at 50 and others have destroyed knees/ankles/back/whatever.....

Sad Hippo

« Reply #247 on: July 05, 2018, 11:37:56 PM »
I hit a nerve? I've had a curb sesh lately, but if that's ALL you're doing, slappies are wack.  Just sleep in on Sunday, or go out to brunch with your wife that hates you and your kids that think you're a loser that can't ollie.  Make sure you insta your coffee cup next to your set up and curb too and #thankyouskateboarding.  It's phoning it in. 

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #248 on: July 06, 2018, 12:42:57 AM »
I hit a nerve? I've had a curb sesh lately, but if that's ALL you're doing, slappies are wack.  Just sleep in on Sunday, or go out to brunch with your wife that hates you and your kids that think you're a loser that can't ollie.  Make sure you insta your coffee cup next to your set up and curb too and #thankyouskateboarding.  It's phoning it in. 

You're right man. I've been getting really excited for a trip I'm taking to LA in October. Lots of things I want to do. One of them was to finally skate a red curb but fuck that. I'm going straight to Hollywood high. #thankyouslap

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #249 on: July 06, 2018, 12:44:20 AM »
yeah and don't forget to ollie at least a bench so that your kids can love you!

beatifk

« Reply #250 on: July 06, 2018, 12:52:20 AM »
What I honestly don't get is staying at a spot (usually driven to) that has one obstacle for hours and hours. I'd much rather cruise around going fast and never get in a car at all when I'm going skating.

I think that's why I love videos like Ban This (Ray Barbee's part :) ), even though it's super dated and the music is awful, it emphasizes the freedom you can feel from skating. And why PJLWHL is my favorite "modern" skate video and stuff like gx1000 appeals to me. Those guys are just kinda skating around. They're doing things I would never dream of trying, but in the end they're using their skateboards to get from one place to another. Lines > Hammers.

Pros skating at a spot until they get a trick makes sense because that's their job but I don't get why people choose to do that as often as they do.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 08:48:59 AM by beatifk »

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #251 on: July 06, 2018, 01:48:48 AM »
The skatepark kids that say "street skating", i.e. "you guys wanna go street skating".

Its skate. We can skate the park, we can skate a spot, we can skate the streets. But we can't go street skating godammit, that sounds gay.

shark tits

« Reply #252 on: July 06, 2018, 01:49:43 AM »
i'm not really big on instagram but when i look at the younger kids in my area, they lowkey brag about their skating. not like 'i'm hyped i got this' but actually cocky and trust me, these guys are no maureen ponderosa.
they're doing harder tricks than i am but so were the good kids when i was 20, just kinda lame when you gotta talk yourself up. granted false humility can be lame too 'oh i suck' from someone who's doing better tricks than you are but compliment fishing is lesser evil than self complimenting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w0afsPqT8A

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #253 on: July 06, 2018, 02:45:30 AM »
You're loosing it dude. You're not ranting about guys that do slappys on a Sunday, you're ranting about them not skating the way you wish you will be able to as you age. You're also angry about them representing skateboarding on social media that isn't the way you want it represented. You're angry at yourself.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #254 on: July 06, 2018, 04:08:45 AM »
Anyway, I've been skating for over 20 years. I reserve the right to phone it in if I want to.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #255 on: July 06, 2018, 05:35:33 AM »
Anyway, I've been skating for over 20 years. I reserve the right to phone it in if I want to.

Understand.  31 years for me
Gentleman ninja warlock

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #256 on: July 06, 2018, 06:02:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You're right man. I've been getting really excited for a trip I'm taking to LA in October. Lots of things I want to do. One of them was to finally skate a red curb but fuck that. I'm going straight to Hollywood high. #thankyouslap
I'll film it

shark tits

« Reply #257 on: July 06, 2018, 06:08:55 AM »
go hard or go homeless
[very rarely i'm chromeless]

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #258 on: July 06, 2018, 07:56:56 AM »

Did ya see what's in the brackets?  Could be your cue to start a new thread.....

Sad Hippo

« Reply #259 on: July 06, 2018, 08:27:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You're loosing it dude. You're not ranting about guys that do slappys on a Sunday, you're ranting about them not skating the way you wish you will be able to as you age. You're also angry about them representing skateboarding on social media that isn't the way you want it represented. You're angry at yourself.

I'm 38 and not mad about anything, I just don't get it.  It's not appealing to me and I think it's lame.  The moment I start talking about buying a shaped board, 169s, and 58s, take me out behind the barn and shoot me. I think these guys are grasping desperately for their youth, but more often than not it's guys my age wearing a Lucero uniform, and we didn't grow up on big ass boards and slappies

Damn, now I feel bad for talking down to SFB...

beatifk

« Reply #260 on: July 06, 2018, 08:45:39 AM »
I'm 38 and not mad about anything, I just don't get it.  It's not appealing to me and I think it's lame.  The moment I start talking about buying a shaped board, 169s, and 58s, take me out behind the barn and shoot me. I think these guys are grasping desperately for their youth, but more often than not it's guys my age wearing a Lucero uniform, and we didn't grow up on big ass boards and slappies

If you're 38 and didn't grow up on shaped boards, when did you start skating?

I'm 37 and I skated at ton of powell peralta/santa cruz/vision/etc with some big ol' wheels before the popsicles and 39mm wheels came along.

And we didn't have any red curbs where I grew up but we had those curbs with the semi-rounded metal edge thing on them which we certainly skated a bunch when we didn't feel like pulling out the quarter pipe or launch ramp.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 08:51:02 AM by beatifk »

Sad Hippo

« Reply #261 on: July 06, 2018, 09:04:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm 37 and I skated at ton of powell peralta/santa cruz/vision/etc with some big ol' wheels before the popsicles and 39mm wheels came along.

And we didn't have any red curbs where I grew up but we had those curbs with the semi-rounded metal edge thing on them which we certainly skated a bunch when we didn't feel like pulling out the quarter pipe or launch ramp.
In 93.  I'm not talking about I don't get skating curbs. I skated curbs when I was young, I skate curbs now.  I'm talking about the #curbcrew #slappysunday thing. 

calvinsdream

« Reply #262 on: July 06, 2018, 10:30:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXfMbdV5IH4

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #263 on: July 06, 2018, 12:32:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
In 93.  I'm not talking about I don't get skating curbs. I skated curbs when I was young, I skate curbs now.  I'm talking about the #curbcrew #slappysunday thing.

Its just skateboarding, we are not curing cancer by skateboarding or by any means especially important.  In 100 years our memories will have long faded in obscurity and our grandchildren will not think of us on even a yearly basis. Eventually this entire planet will be destroyed. It really doesn't matter in the end.  Have fun and slappy shit
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #264 on: July 06, 2018, 12:39:04 PM »
The slappy epidemic is so gnarly in my area some places knob their curbs.

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #265 on: July 06, 2018, 01:13:27 PM »
i'm not really big on instagram but when i look at the younger kids in my area, they lowkey brag about their skating. not like 'i'm hyped i got this' but actually cocky and trust me, these guys are no maureen ponderosa.
they're doing harder tricks than i am but so were the good kids when i was 20, just kinda lame when you gotta talk yourself up. granted false humility can be lame too 'oh i suck' from someone who's doing better tricks than you are but compliment fishing is lesser evil than self complimenting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w0afsPqT8A
I abhor the arrogance of instaclips, It's not jealousy as that's not what I want in my life these days however if I am at a park and I get snaked by some cocksmoker like this I will say something and ruin their clip by doing my halfassed bs lipslide or shitting on their clip as their arrogance should be checked just like skating with headphones you deserve to get clipped in the ankle by a runaway board with razor tail or your board snaps because your attitude sucks. Also to add to what your saying humbling yourself when someone asks how are you I give em a look of I don't know?! You tell me...... I don't define myself or my skating as great or shit I just try to have fun and do stuff that is easy if it looks cool rad if I think it's shit that's my opinion and no one else's. how many times we've skated in whatever town and had some jagoff scream do a kickflip or dude do a etc etc trick, I give a wink and blow a kiss like you want to suck my dick too? or blowjob motion jerk off motion of fuck off, If dipshits are going to make jackass' of themselves might as well play along and creep them out gives a good laugh what were you expecting dumbass?!
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

Sad Hippo

« Reply #266 on: July 06, 2018, 01:24:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Its just skateboarding, we are not curing cancer by skateboarding or by any means especially important.  In 100 years our memories will have long faded in obscurity and our grandchildren will not think of us on even a yearly basis. Eventually this entire planet will be destroyed. It really doesn't matter in the end.  Have fun and slappy shit
Yes.  But again, I don't get that scene and think it's lame, just like some people don't get young bucks getting super technical on insta clips.  Honestly I'd rather watch some gross tech wizardry than the same curb angle slow mo slappy.  After all, this is a message board to talk about skating, and a thread about things you don't get. 

My rep is taking a hit here so there must be some old dudes that can't ollie taking offense.  Focus your Assault board. "That shape looks so fuuuuun deerrrrrp."

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #267 on: July 06, 2018, 01:33:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Yes.  But again, I don't get that scene and think it's lame, just like some people don't get young bucks getting super technical on insta clips.  Honestly I'd rather watch some gross tech wizardry than the same curb angle slow mo slappy.  After all, this is a message board to talk about skating, and a thread about things you don't get. 

My rep is taking a hit here so there must be some old dudes that can't ollie taking offense.  Focus your Assault board. "That shape looks so fuuuuun deerrrrrp."
"how many boards can you ollie?"

calvinsdream

« Reply #268 on: July 07, 2018, 06:07:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I think your rep took a hit from acting douchy rather than just particularly the slappy thing.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #269 on: July 07, 2018, 07:56:43 AM »
And another thing... Who the fuck cares enough about rep to mention it?