Author Topic: Things You Don't "Get" (Old Man Rant) Thread  (Read 54068 times)

shark tits

Re: Things You Don't "Get" (Old Man Rant) Thread
« Reply #270 on: July 07, 2018, 08:03:20 AM »
And another thing... Who the fuck cares enough about rep to mention it?
gnar'd.
but for real, slap be better w/out rep. force people to use their words.

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #271 on: July 07, 2018, 08:35:22 AM »
We might not agree on much but damn if your not double right, who gives a shit about rep.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #272 on: July 07, 2018, 10:15:30 AM »
"You're just saying that because yours is in the triple negative."

My rep goes up and down, whatever. Have a gnar

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #273 on: July 07, 2018, 11:12:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
gnar'd.
but for real, slap be better w/out rep. force people to use their words.

Totally agreed
Gentleman ninja warlock

Sad Hippo

« Reply #274 on: July 07, 2018, 11:41:27 AM »
I think people generally want to be liked, even on an anonymous forum, and rep sort of reflects that.  I think if nobody cared people would stop using it.  I mean it takes some effort to hit that gnar/kook, and people care enough to react to what someone said.

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #275 on: July 07, 2018, 11:57:34 AM »
I asked for a kookin in some thread a while back, I think one or two people remember that and kook me if they see me but idk. Has removed any meaning my rep could have.

Karma on reddit can totally make you happy but it's super fleeting. I made a joke on there and got like 4000 upvotes and two golds. I was hyped for a couple hours then I tried to tell a friend about it and they Did the "cool story man" thing and I realized the whole thing is pretty pointless. There s no fulfillment in internet upvotes/reps.
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #276 on: July 07, 2018, 08:01:13 PM »
this might just be me projecting, but i don't get why any fellow old man skaters give enough of a shit to rant or judge other's abilities. i'm lucky enough to be in the very small club of 40+ guys that can still do so-called "good" tricks, but i never look down on another old guy, or even a younger skater that can't do all that much on the plank. in fact, i usually have no idea what anyone else is doing unless we are sessioning the same obstacle or section because i'm just too old to care.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 08:03:35 PM by Iceman »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #277 on: July 07, 2018, 11:41:13 PM »
I do pay attention to,what people are doing because I like seeing people land shit no matter what their skill level is.....it's awesome.  I still try and learn shit all the time but I have the clarity and perspective to know it can't always be that way and so if you wanna call it a day now....so be it. 

Ok....back to the task at hand....what's with people taking too much time and not having their shit together when ordering.......  You ever in a line waiting forever and the people in front wanna taste every fucking flavour of ice cream....or it's a donut shop...all they have is the donuts which you've been staring at for the last 14 minutes....why so many questions????  You applying for a job here?  No?  its just coffee....why so many questions?  Oh....short .15.....how bout I get the rest....

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #278 on: July 08, 2018, 07:37:57 AM »
I've got a rant about adults who still eat like picky children but that might be better for the pet peeves thread when that comes back around.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #279 on: July 08, 2018, 08:02:07 AM »
 :o
I've got a rant about adults who still eat like picky children but that might be better for the pet peeves thread when that comes back around.

the ones who think almost everything is "gross" or "nasty" and eat only the most processed, flavorless crap that's loaded with sodium and chemicals? those types of people are very close minded about food. they're the types who, if they ever travel, will eat only at american fast food chains the entire trip. and they call people who eat adventurously "hipsters" or mock it some other way. of course, we should all eat only burgers, hot dogs, french fries, and pizza for lunch and dinner, and refined flours and sugars for breakfast. fine dining is the occasional trip to olive garden or red lobster where they will eat mostly carbs and cheese.

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #280 on: July 08, 2018, 09:09:41 AM »
this might just be me projecting, but i don't get why any fellow old man skaters give enough of a shit to rant or judge other's abilities. i'm lucky enough to be in the very small club of 40+ guys that can still do so-called "good" tricks, but i never look down on another old guy, or even a younger skater that can't do all that much on the plank. in fact, i usually have no idea what anyone else is doing unless we are sessioning the same obstacle or section because i'm just too old to care.

I'm stoked on old fogies no matter how good they are. When little kids/teenagers  just do the same tricks day in day out I kinda stop hyping them up. Sometimes ill suggest they try new tricks, just trying to get them thinking. I've seen a couple girl skater's who have completely stagnated because everyone cheers for every trick they do. Or so I deduce.
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #281 on: July 08, 2018, 10:05:48 AM »
:o
Expand Quote
[close]

the ones who think almost everything is "gross" or "nasty" and eat only the most processed, flavorless crap that's loaded with sodium and chemicals? those types of people are very close minded about food. they're the types who, if they ever travel, will eat only at american fast food chains the entire trip. and they call people who eat adventurously "hipsters" or mock it some other way. of course, we should all eat only burgers, hot dogs, french fries, and pizza for lunch and dinner, and refined flours and sugars for breakfast. fine dining is the occasional trip to olive garden or red lobster where they will eat mostly carbs and cheese.

This is true.  I am lucky to live in a big US city and love to eat, "Adventurously."  We have a Korea Town and one of my good friends is Korean, speaks and all.  We went to a hole in the wall place with her and her husband with no English on the menu. Servers spoke very little English. I just told her to get me the craziest stuff off the menu.  Most of it was pretty good. 

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #282 on: July 08, 2018, 10:34:22 AM »
I've had many a drunk argument with my friend refusing onion,cilantro,and any form of salsa on his tacos. He would order them dry basically.

My brother in law once cried when we wouldn't buy him orange chicken,because we all wanted pizza instead of chinese. He was 9 then,but even at 19 now he probably still would cry because he is picky as fuck still
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 10:41:15 AM by Francis Xavier »

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #283 on: July 08, 2018, 12:36:47 PM »
The worst is people who say they want to eat something unique or adventurous, then have a melt down when everything on the menu has something they don't like. Or when they order something, but minus everything that makes it unique. I've learned that chefs make things the way they do because they think it's the best way they can, so I put my faith in the chef. If I don't like it their way, fine, but at least I tried it.

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #284 on: July 08, 2018, 03:06:58 PM »
Fortenite and the subsequent dances that the kids do these days

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #285 on: July 08, 2018, 03:19:24 PM »
No matter how far away you are from the line someone will ask if you are in line.....

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #286 on: July 08, 2018, 04:59:26 PM »
The worst is people who say they want to eat something unique or adventurous, then have a melt down when everything on the menu has something they don't like. Or when they order something, but minus everything that makes it unique. I've learned that chefs make things the way they do because they think it's the best way they can, so I put my faith in the chef. If I don't like it their way, fine, but at least I tried it.
Like getting a western burger and holding the bbq sauce and onion rings.
I have family that "goes out to sushi" but they only eat California rolls and spicy tuna rolls. Then they bitch about spending over $80 on said meal. What people will and won't eat interests me a lot for some reason.

Fortenite and the subsequent dances that the kids do these days
Still don't know what fortnight (sp?) is, but that it's all the rage in memes

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #287 on: July 08, 2018, 05:53:44 PM »
Fortnite was created by Nick Jedi and then stolen by game developers employed by Tony Hawk and Kelly Slater. They owe him loads of money and dick sucks.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #288 on: July 08, 2018, 05:55:11 PM »
They better not try and use fornite to get the toquay girls or the bells beach girls either

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #289 on: July 08, 2018, 09:58:27 PM »
jedi has taken over a million girls all over the western world from kelly slater

hawk and slater went on tv and admitted that jedi is the best skater in history

ITS MY PLANET

MINE

Per this http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=84893.0

Dude was gold

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #290 on: July 08, 2018, 10:50:03 PM »
Weed graphic grip tape

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 99
« Reply #291 on: July 09, 2018, 05:40:36 AM »
Itīs not so much a rant but rather something I have always wondered about since I started skating. Why do a lot of skaters sit down when someone better as them is skating the park/spot? Are they intimidated? Is it because they fear their abilities being judged? Do they think they will learn something while watching skateboarding in realtime? Do they think they are not entitled to skate the park/spot when someone better is around? I never understood that. 

I just recently thought about this again because a group of younger guys arrived at our DIY and were just sitting around for 2 hours until they left. On the way home I saw them skating a different park.

Also I need to know what these "good" tricks are? Asking for a friend of course.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #292 on: July 09, 2018, 06:04:06 AM »
Itīs not so much a rant but rather something I have always wondered about since I started skating. Why do a lot of skaters sit down when someone better as them is skating the park/spot? Are they intimidated? Is it because they fear their abilities being judged? Do they think they will learn something while watching skateboarding in realtime? Do they think they are not entitled to skate the park/spot when someone better is around? I never understood that. 

I just recently thought about this again because a group of younger guys arrived at our DIY and were just sitting around for 2 hours until they left. On the way home I saw them skating a different park.

Also I need to know what these "good" tricks are? Asking for a friend of course.

too self conscience, only time you take a seat or step aside is if someone is filming something decent that you dont want to throw them off and get in the way.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #293 on: July 09, 2018, 08:03:42 AM »
Well.....as a guy who's sat down a few times......one...I don't want to get in the way....two....I don't need to look shittier....three....I want to talk shit on the dude......

You notice these days how people treat the left lane not as the fast lane but 'their lane'.....

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #294 on: July 09, 2018, 08:14:13 AM »
All of the above, plus it's nice to watch someone who's good at skating.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #295 on: July 09, 2018, 02:21:04 PM »
Good points, but are you not missing being amped by skating with someone better?

I do olympic weight lifting with a guy competing in Euro championship (Masters division) and of course he is muuuch stronger than me. Makes me better because I also want the piece of the action. Same with skating.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #296 on: July 09, 2018, 02:50:38 PM »
Good points, but are you not missing being amped by skating with someone better?

I do olympic weight lifting with a guy competing in Euro championship (Masters division) and of course he is muuuch stronger than me. Makes me better because I also want the piece of the action. Same with skating.

I think if you've got some skills at the specific activity, then it might be easier for you to do that with someone much better than you and have that person be a form of motivation. But if you really lack in skill compared to someone, it might be more intimidating than motivating. I play guitar and am very terrible. If I walk into a guitar store and there's a group of guys demoing some guitars and they're shredding, I'm not plugging in next to them and struggling my way though some easy riff that I only get half right because I'm going to look like an idiot. The same can apply to skating and lots of other activities. That's why they have private lessons for beginners, so they don't have to feel intimated learning next to people who are experts.

If I can skate an obstacle, I'll skate it with whoever. I don't care if I'm trying something super easy and everyone else is landing hard stuff. But if it's something really far out of my skill set, I'll probably sit out or just skate something else. You're not going to see me bailing Ollie's for an hour on a big set when people are landing flip tricks down it or half assing nose slides on a waist high ledge if others are doing serious tricks and making it look easy. I know my skills and big sets and waist high pop aren't part of that. If I were to want to learn that stuff, I'd probably do it at a time when I'm alone and don't have as big of a chance at looking like a fool.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #297 on: July 09, 2018, 05:22:21 PM »
All of the above, plus it's nice to watch someone who's good at skating.
yeah, totally, happened to me on Sunday. This young kid was really just in his window so I had to sit down and watch.
As for the sad hippo/ curb dogs rant a few posts back: whatever keeps you rolling really, so much of life/ job/ family/ kids/ injuries get in the way that if you can find an excuse to roll ... roll with it? I turn 40 at the end of the year but I still try and ollie into my tricks, in fact I've only really started trying to learn slappies in the last year or so, but these days I'm honestly just happy to be out there rolling and chucking a few power slides round while I chase my son. It's all skating no?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #298 on: July 09, 2018, 07:58:22 PM »
I'm definitely the inept old man at the park, but I have impossibles on lock so...it helps me not look too out of my depth.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #299 on: July 09, 2018, 10:03:29 PM »
I'm definitely the inept old man at the park, but I have impossibles on lock so...it helps me not look too out of my depth.
I'm (not even ironically) trying to get my pressure flips back so that I can show all those young whippersnappers
*shakes cane*

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year