Author Topic: OJ "Elite Urethane" ?  (Read 13447 times)

nsskater1993

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
OJ "Elite Urethane" ?
« on: April 06, 2018, 01:21:31 PM »
Hey Slap, was just scrolling through Facebook and noticed that OJ had an ad with a huge gnarly hill bomb advertising this new urethane they're apparently coming out with. Does anybody have the scoop on these? Think they'll be worth checking out? I know they have the insaneathanes which I recently bought, would these basically be their response to stf's/f4's?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: OJ "Elite Urethane" ?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 01:31:00 PM »
As one of the few (only?) on the board that actually like the Insane-A-Thanes, I'll check them out - but you've got to be wary of NHS marketing at work :P "Bronson Audible Speed Technology comes to mind"

nsskater1993

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 02:59:52 PM »
Lol that's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the name. "Elite Urethane" what does that entail? Are these wheels going to be jebus's gift to humanity/skateboarding? I've yet to actually skate the insaneathane's, but comparing them to 99a f4's they were pretty interesting feeling. Either way, nice to see they're trying something new.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 03:24:45 PM »
I'm getting some samples to check out shortly.
Will report back asap.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 04:04:38 PM »
I've been very happy with my current 56mm Insaneathane wheels

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 04:49:49 PM »
I'd still be riding my OJs if it weren't for the fact that each set has a chunk taken out of them due to this crappy box I've been skating, the edge isn't iron, looks like aluminum so it gets digs in it and shreds wheels (I'm down 4 sets before I figured out the culprit). Now I'm stuck riding F4s :P

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 05:57:54 PM »
The Joe Flacco of wheels, imo

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 08:37:06 PM »
I've skated several sets of their insane-a-thane just because I like OJ  and all their stupid marketing techniques. For example, packaging a cassette tape with their wheels for some reason. They're decent skateboard wheels don't get me wrong, but they are no where near comparable to STF's or Formula 4's. Like I said they're gimmicky, but that can be fun sometimes.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 10:29:23 PM »
I've skated several sets of their insane-a-thane just because I like OJ  and all their stupid marketing techniques. For example, packaging a cassette tape with their wheels for some reason. They're decent skateboard wheels don't get me wrong, but they are no where near comparable to STF's or Formula 4's. Like I said they're gimmicky, but that can be fun sometimes.

I know exactly what you mean, they’re sick but yeah nothing compares to the special feel of an f4 or stf

Good try though, I like how grippy oj are but sooooo slow and a bit sticky on the slide
yes

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 12:52:26 AM »
i've had a couple sets in the past and the stickiness + slowmo feeling was there. Happy i got some OJ stickers for the collection but that's about it. STF (v5) are unbeatables imo

John Kreese

• Rep: -22
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 06:41:18 AM »
Formula Fours and STF are made in the US. 99% of the OJs are in China. Seems like quality control is easier here. If you had to buy a set of wheels to last a year, you'd get Bones or SFW.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 01:30:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know exactly what you mean, they’re sick but yeah nothing compares to the special feel of an f4 or stf

Good try though, I like how grippy oj are but sooooo slow and a bit sticky on the slide

You must have skated the regular juice thane which is soft-feeling, grippy and slowish, things that insane-a-thanes are most assuredly not; every time I pick up a set of regular ojs (Great shapes) I am disappointed as soon as I start rolling.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 12:46:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You must have skated the regular juice thane which is soft-feeling, grippy and slowish, things that insane-a-thanes are most assuredly not; every time I pick up a set of regular ojs (Great shapes) I am disappointed as soon as I start rolling.

Sadly not, I had these and now they’re collecting dust unless this thread gets my madness going

Got the 53, I liked the way the regulars felt but when I started noticing how slow and how tired I was from so much pushing I was like no more, then tried these and they were okay but f4 and especially stf were wayyyy faster, stf feel almost cruiser wheel good but I like f4 cause you still get some rattle and street feel
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 08:54:44 AM »
I'm getting some samples to check out shortly.
Will report back asap.

?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 07:20:55 AM »
The Joe Flacco of wheels, imo

as a native of maryland and as a ravens fan, i back this post.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 10:50:00 PM »
I was really into the last set of regular formula (?) OJ 101s I had but thought Insaneathane felt awful.  I'm gonna try Dialtone next just because I like Theories and the whole brand launch with the 16mm clips and stuff was cool. 

wheee!

Ghost Face

• Rep: 95
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 04:00:24 AM »
These Elites do seem to be a difference compound as they all have this light orange tinge to them. Not the same formula as Insane-A-Thane.  They do come in either the EZ-edge or Hardline shapes so shape/contact patch size could have effect on speed. Wider surface would be slower but stable.

Raybourn 54mm are Hardline shape
WIDTH    33.42
ROAD SURFACE   20.2

Long Break 54mm are EZ-edge shape
WIDTH     33
ROAD SURFACE  16.5

Does Ron Whaley write these things?

"Elite WAY TOO FAST Urethane is here! Flying out the lab to the streets and beyond, Elite Urethane guarantees more speed, a longer lasting roll, and more importantly hands down epic times with your crew. If you're a skateboarder, you seek more speed. If you want more speed you're gonna f$ck with Elite.

Ben Raybourn's Elite pro wheel comes on OJ's Hard-Line all terrain skate park shape. Hard-Line features a tight radius and a conical edge that creates a wider riding surface for increased flat-spot resistance and slide control."
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 09:28:18 AM »
These Elites do seem to be a difference compound as they all have this light orange tinge to them. Not the same formula as Insane-A-Thane.  They do come in either the EZ-edge or Hardline shapes so shape/contact patch size could have effect on speed. Wider surface would be slower but stable.

Raybourn 54mm are Hardline shape
WIDTH    33.42
ROAD SURFACE   20.2

Long Break 54mm are EZ-edge shape
WIDTH     33
ROAD SURFACE  16.5

Does Ron Whaley write these things?

"Elite WAY TOO FAST Urethane is here! Flying out the lab to the streets and beyond, Elite Urethane guarantees more speed, a longer lasting roll, and more importantly hands down epic times with your crew. If you're a skateboarder, you seek more speed. If you want more speed you're gonna f$ck with Elite.

Ben Raybourn's Elite pro wheel comes on OJ's Hard-Line all terrain skate park shape. Hard-Line features a tight radius and a conical edge that creates a wider riding surface for increased flat-spot resistance and slide control."

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 02:04:06 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHdZ-opMR7U

Better than that Tactics review...but not by much.

SlappyBum

• Rep: -4
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 07:57:21 PM »

Why are all these reviews short and shitty

thebacker

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 08:13:57 PM »
i dont give a shit about how a wheel skates in the first hour. Make the review a month into skating them

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 08:34:26 PM »
i dont give a shit about how a wheel skates in the first hour. Make the review a month into skating them

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 10:35:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Why are all these reviews short and shitty

My guess is that it's a paid spot (notice the OJs sticker on the board and those new Bronson Raws) as it's too close to the tactics one to be a coincidence.

"SW/Tactics, you take XXX amount of wheels and we will pay you to do a spot to help sell them thru"

You get what you pay for.

I liked the Insane-a-thanes and would be trying out these elites if I hadn't grabbed some STFs recently.

MetaldudeX

• Rep: 0
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 06:22:13 AM »
I spent the past two weeks skating the 99A 54mm Hardline Elite's with the hula girl on them. I'd normally go at least a month on them but I really just don't want to ride them anymore. The only good things I have to say about them is they didn't flat spot in that time and the slight orange tint to the urethane is kinda cool.

Here's what I experienced:

- Slow and chattery on the street, even more so than the 99A Insaneathane's I tried. My streets are a little rough but Formula Fours and STF's handle them so much better! Just skating the 50 yards to my mail box and back was miserable.
- Inconsistent slide. They'd go then stick then slip out. It was hard to control. They slid more consistently at the park on perfectly smooth concrete but nowhere near as predictable and controllable as Formula Fours on the street. I never felt confident with them.
- Reasonably fast at the park. I didn't like them on the metal mini at my local (too slippery) but in the concrete bowl at Penn Valley they performed decently. They didn't seem to maintain speed quite as well as Formula Fours or SPF's though.
- There were a lot of air bubbles in the cores and one wheel seemed to be just slightly lopsided. They were made in China so I'm not sure how much quality control NHS actually has over them.

I had a better experience with the Insaneathane's I tried last summer. These seem to be a step down. Perhaps the 101A's are a better experience but that's too hard for my taste.

I immediately ordered some Formula Fours for my new street/park setups. I really can't find any wheel that works better than that for me.

I left them sitting on top of the mini at the Leavenworth skatepark, it was raining yesterday so they may still be there. I think I'm done trying new things from OJ.

Literally the only review of these right now. Almost bought a pair yesterday but I’m glad I held off. Definitely will be going for F4s. Thanks for the help!

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 07:02:49 AM »
Thanks for sacrificing your $ for our knowledge. STF and F4s ride on....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 12:56:25 PM »
Thanks for taking one for the team!

Sad Hippo

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 06:04:17 PM »
They have an orange tint? Does it get worse with sun exposure? You got a pic of them used?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 08:25:48 AM »
Just in looks and rolling around quickly they seemed like bones STF's...white....hard but not like plastic darkstar hard....

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2019, 08:46:52 AM »
Anyone try the elites lately?
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

curbdrop

• Rep: 3
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2019, 03:49:27 PM »
I ride the 54 Raybourns.

I like them. I'm on month three with them, I like how they chirp.