Author Topic: (semi) new skater here, have a few questions  (Read 3830 times)

ciaran7578

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
(semi) new skater here, have a few questions
« on: April 11, 2018, 06:22:27 AM »
i have been skating since about November, starting out with a kryptonics board i found in a park, and me unknowing it was a bad idea, i got a penny board and a longboard, after i watched some videos about skating, i bought a Popsicle board.

1. what shoes would you reccomend? i have high top vans but i can't really hit an olly, t hey feel heavy especially since i am a size 11,

2. what would you change about my board?
(specs at bottom)
would you change the bearings?

3. does weight matter about how fast you go?

4. my red bearings as i said b4 arent pleasing me, they dont seem to last long, i bought two sets. havent let me go very fast or very far which is quite discouriging, should i get the bone lube or whatever it's called?

these are my deck specs
Trucks: Thunder Team 151 Polished Skateboard Trucks

bearings: bone reds
(not sure if they need to be lubricated again but so far im not happy with them)

wheels: 55 mm bones 100 purple 4pk

deck: 8' deck

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
Re: (semi) new skater here, have a few questions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 06:31:31 AM »
yes, get the boner lube.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 09:01:00 AM »
i have been skating since about November, starting out with a kryptonics board i found in a park, and me unknowing it was a bad idea, i got a penny board and a longboard, after i watched some videos about skating, i bought a Popsicle board.

1. what shoes would you reccomend? i have high top vans but i can't really hit an olly, t hey feel heavy especially since i am a size 11,

(specs at bottom)

4. my red bearings as i said b4 arent pleasing me, they dont seem to last long, i bought two sets. havent let me go very fast or very far which is quite discouriging, should i get the bone lube or whatever it's called?

these are my deck specs

(not sure if they need to be lubricated again but so far im not happy with them)

first of all, this ain the place kiddo, but you should get some f4 spifires and comeback when you forget how to kickflip atleast
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 09:36:17 AM »

(specs at bottom)

these are my deck specs

your deck seems kinda wide for a beginner
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 09:58:09 AM »
Honestly, and I'm not saying this to be dismissive, but I would advise you to seek out a local skateshop in your area for guidance. Since most of your questions are about gear you're gonna get a hundred different answers from a hundred different people who skate differently. If you've got a good shop with good folks running it they'll be glad be able to help you get a good set up for your needs, especially if you're a beginner and don't necessarily know what you want.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 12:19:03 PM »
^What he said

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 05:19:59 PM »
Size 11? You need an 8.5 sir.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 07:18:16 AM »
Expand Quote

(specs at bottom)

these are my deck specs

[close]

your deck seems kinda wide for a beginner
  Ignore this.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

ciaran7578

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 03:14:56 PM »

sorta hard to just "wear" an 8.5 when my feet can't fit that

ciaran7578

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 03:15:48 PM »
Honestly, and I'm not saying this to be dismissive, but I would advise you to seek out a local skateshop in your area for guidance. Since most of your questions are about gear you're gonna get a hundred different answers from a hundred different people who skate differently. If you've got a good shop with good folks running it they'll be glad be able to help you get a good set up for your needs, especially if you're a beginner and don't necessarily know what you want.

that's where i got this deck, and the questions about hardware i have is sorta useless, but i will check in with a nearby shop to see if they can help?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 05:47:23 PM »
1. Try shoes on in a store or order a few from a place like ccs with free return. Try Nike maybe.
2. 8” boarding is fine. I have size 12 shoe and I skated 8” boards for 10 years and 7.5 before that now on to 8.5.
3. Weight does not matter much.
4. I like your trucks and who cares about bearings unless you get Swiss.
5. Your wheels are to big for an 8” board. Go with 52” for an 8”. Try a narrower wheels like the classic spitfire shape

Have fun

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 08:07:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Think he meant an 8.5in board. your set up sounds pretty good. Personally I've skated the same pair of bones reds for at least 5 years, best ones out IMO. This may be obvious but if the ground your skating super rough obviously your gonna go slower. Elaborate on not going fast enough if you can, are you creeping to a stop after a push or 2? Or just generally want to go faster?

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 05:10:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha! I was not suggesting for you to try that. If your feet are size 11, then you might benefit from an 8.5 board width.

Cramming your massive fred flinstone feet in a pair of sample sizes will not help you.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 03:36:27 PM »
like someone above said - you could definitely size down your wheels.

reds are usually decent - maybe yours are dirty?

vans look cool but they're super thin and will feel better with some proper insoles. you should try both vulcs and cupsoles and see what you like more. i like having a few pairs of shoes to rotate

8 is a good size but everyone's different - just stand on some boards and pick whatever feels good. you'll find your size eventually
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 09:00:34 PM »
get a really wide board with 55 wheels.  You don't have to go fast, its skateboarding and you can do whatever you want.  Just skate a lot of hours and skate by yourself a lot, just for fun you don't need to impress people with jumping off high shit, just keep your head down and progress at your own rate.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

thomas kook

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 06:12:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

can i please put this in my sig

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 07:17:27 AM »
151's are quite wide....normally your axel width will be similar to the width of your deck.

if you like your board width consider new trucks, if you like the stability of a wider truck try a bigger deck.

You're currently riding a narrow board on wide trucks...

revfredmorton

• Rep: -50
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 10:59:08 AM »
i would get a 9" deck with those trucks and wheels, a bigger deck will fit you better.  and yes, ur bearings do need oil, u can usually drip it in without taking off the wheels if ur careful, u will go faster

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 01:30:11 PM »
151s on a 8"? I have to see this. I guess wheelbite is a nonfactor. Nonetheless, keep rolling.

theskaterhere

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 03:30:25 PM »
It's a matter of preference in any situation. Whether your buying shoes, decks, wheels...ect.
Go to the shop, stand on a couple decks to get a feel for your feet, and size you like.
Bones reds, only bearings I used for 12 years
Wheels-Never can go wrong with Bones, Ricta, or Spitfire. Never tried hollow wheels btw...
Shoes-Try them all on...matter of preference/style fits you.
Vans have the best grip imo, and I've always loved the Reynolds from Emerica
Decks-No board is made equal, I'm still trying to figure out what I like lol. All time fav. is Zoo York incentive deck.If your strapped...nothing wrong with a mini logo deck. Considering I've snapped boards first day, I usually opt for a blank or a shop deck. Too bad CT sucks... all the shops are out of business or out of the way.
Like I said, it depends on what feels right to YOU.

FlipInFlipOut

• Rep: 1
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 10:01:27 AM »

(specs at bottom)

these are my deck specs

I think you have a little bit of G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome.) I see this a lot in Photography/Videography. The best board you have is the one currently under your feet. You can obsess all day about what board/trucks/bearings and wheels you have. Trust me we have all been known to do it.

1. I also have big feet. Not so much long, but wide (girthy) so an 11.5 is too small for me but a 12 is perfect. Big feet and heavy shoes do make it hard to get that pop and flick. With time this gets easier, as your muscles form memory to that motion. Push around as much as you can also to build muscle in your legs. For shoes I like sole-tech brands, Etinies, Emericas, éS. Not a fan of the larger sports companies in skating, Nike and 'das. I also like Cupsoles better than Vulcanized. I use my skate shoes for work/daily shoes as well and can't stand on super flat Vulcs. Cups can be heavier than Vulcs sometimes so take that in to consideration.

2. You have a pretty decent setup as far as that goes. But you have to ask yourself what do you skate daily? And what do you want to skate? Do you skate crunchy/crusty streets? Smooth street park concrete? Park bowls? For every type of skating you can get different gear for. You have a pretty All Terrain Vehicle in the board you have now, even if it may feel a little heavier. This is why some have a "Quiver" (collection) of boards. One for cruising/shooting vid, one for skateparks...etc. Gotta pay to play the quiver game tho!

3. Weight does matter a little bit. Its obviously going to be harder for Me and my beer-gut to push down the street than someone like Kader who weighs maybe 110lbs. On the other hand I will go faster through transitions and downhill because of that weight. (I also slam harder.) Or were you talking about weight of deck? haha!

4. I have skated bones reds since about 2000? Hard to remember. I really don't like spending money on bearings unless I know its going to be a park deck only (who has money for that?) I live in CO and we have crazy weather and street skating here is always so dusty, skatepark, street spots, all dust. The humidity never gets above 50% unless its raining here so dust is a way of life. I recommend getting the Bones Speed Cream (Bone Lube) and reading their website tutorial on cleaning bearings (its a great walkthrough and is pretty simple process once you got it down.) You have to clean your bearings for them to work properly, then you lube them. Putting lube in dirty bearings will only slow you down more. Keeping good maintenance and cleaning your bearings regularly can make bearings last years.  I think the reason you are craving speed is, like you said you have been riding a longboard. Longboards are usually faster, and can roll longer because of A. Larger wheels & B. Usually comes with "race" or upgraded bearings. If you really want to go faster and think its your bearings toss those reds to a homie and go for some SuperSwiss, or Ceramics if you got the money.

Sorry for the long wind. But really, I wouldn't stress too much about your kit/setup, just go skate and you'll start to feel your own instincts and comfortable with whatever you ride. We are all searching for that perfect setup whether some like to admit it or not. It's rare to have the "perfect" setup that will make all your dreams come true. Like I said, the best board you have is the one currently under your feet.
I'm old school, I'm played out
Osteoporosis, glaucoma and neurosis
The vultures circling above our balding heads

ciaran7578

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 03:20:11 PM »
thank you everyone, i joined the discord and was sorta fucked with so i didnt really skate but i just saw this and might start again, thanks

ginozz

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 02:42:52 PM »
I hope you discover the beauty of skateboarding..
Good luck Chico