Author Topic: Alternative to shoe goo  (Read 11130 times)

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
Alternative to shoe goo
« on: April 12, 2018, 10:12:23 PM »
So i use shoe goo sparingly and what always happens is the whole tube ends up drying a year or two later a a good 80% of the tube gets trashed. Any alternatives that are sold in a smaller package? I want to use it on suede
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Alternative to shoe goo
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 10:48:38 PM »
I have a big tube of Shoe Goo but next time I'd want something else. I know All Star Gum makes a similar product which has no solvents but it's not very widely available. They have some smaller size tubes also. There are several sizes of Shoe Goo available too but I'm guessing the smaller ones might be harder to come by and will be relatively more expensive. I'd guess most "liquid rubbers" sold at hardware stores would do the job. Shoe Goo I have to order online cuz I live in Finland so I think I'll try some other stuff once my Shoe Goo completely dries out.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 10:51:21 PM »
they sell little four packs of shoe goo. I got one last time and it has worked out well. easier to apply too than those big ass tubes.

https://www.amazon.com/Shoe-5510110-Mini-Adhesive-Pack/dp/B01JCCKWZO

the goat cheese of Mendes

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 01:03:06 AM »
I used both current shoe-goo and all star gum (when old shoe-goo was fordbidden in France due to solvants) and had the same problem with both ending up drying.

Now, I mostly use cyanoacrylate glue before the suede tear up, and it works almost better. Really cheap alternative (less than 2 euros) and easy to precisely apply which is really good for laces. Dry in 2 minutes, so you don't have to think about fixing your shoe the night before.

Flip260z

• Rep: 7
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 06:36:13 AM »
I have a big tube of Shoe Goo but next time I'd want something else. I know All Star Gum makes a similar product which has no solvents but it's not very widely available. They have some smaller size tubes also. There are several sizes of Shoe Goo available too but I'm guessing the smaller ones might be harder to come by and will be relatively more expensive. I'd guess most "liquid rubbers" sold at hardware stores would do the job. Shoe Goo I have to order online cuz I live in Finland so I think I'll try some other stuff once my Shoe Goo completely dries out.

Ive had a container of liquid electrical tape for a while now. Works really well. Has the applicator brush attached to the screw on top.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 11:40:05 AM »
i got a sample of these but I have not used them yet. basically suede(prob faux) stickers.
https://www.officialtricktape.com/

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 08:15:57 PM »
You can use plasti dip, it is essentially spray paint that dries as rubber. It's a bit of chore to apply, you have to tape the whole shoe aside from what areas you want to protect. You also need to to 3-4 coats minimum. It's a bit of a pain actually and i found it blows out faster than shoe goo. My advice is make sure you put the lid on tight for shoe goo or just buy New when it dries out its relatively cheap.

nylin

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 12:12:51 AM »
You can use plasti dip, it is essentially spray paint that dries as rubber. It's a bit of chore to apply, you have to tape the whole shoe aside from what areas you want to protect. You also need to to 3-4 coats minimum. It's a bit of a pain actually and i found it blows out faster than shoe goo. My advice is make sure you put the lid on tight for shoe goo or just buy New when it dries out its relatively cheap.

Wow great fucking advice.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 03:53:21 AM »
Put it on ziplock-bag and keep it in fridge, been using same tube for years now. Before I just store it on room temperature and it always ended up drying...
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Flip260z

• Rep: 7
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 10:37:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had totally forgotten about using plasti-dip. Ripped laces put out an article on how to do this awhile back. Worth a look for sure. I tried it some myself on an old pair of shoes but didnt really skate them.

http://www.rippedlaces.com/2015/05/diy-give-your-average-skate-shoe-a-rubber-toecap/

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 06:37:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Whatevs man. At least I'm contributing an alternative. Even though said alternative isn't the best.

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 03:02:38 AM »
I tried Allstar Gum last year and it is perfect. It has way more grip than shoe goo but you will have to renew it after every session. You simply add some layers to the area you want to cover which takes roughly 5 min. Has to dry for at least 12 h hours. Brought some new life into old shoes. Drying out in the tube is a bit of an issue though, would not recommend to store longer than one year at room temperature.
Always hated the plastic feel of shoe goo. Havent used it for at least 15 years though,  maybe they changed the formula.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 08:00:50 PM »
Hot glue usually works pretty well

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 08:21:55 PM »
Put it on ziplock-bag and keep it in fridge, been using same tube for years now. Before I just store it on room temperature and it always ended up drying...

ha i ended up buying a new tube and ordered some rubber silicone. ill def try this for my current shoe goo tube
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 02:49:58 AM »
new pair of shoes

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 01:26:11 PM »

whoever was the og poster that mentioned that changed my world
grab a hot glue stick and a lighter youre good

never goes hard
dries quickly
fits in pocket
cheaper than shoegoo

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 01:36:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

never goes hard
dries quickly
fits in pocket
cheaper than shoegoo

Interesting. Doesn’t it dry to be completely hard though? I wonder how that’d help fixing an ollie hole for example. Doesn’t it make the shoe less grippy with the hard glue in there?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 02:43:26 PM »
I have a pickle jar that I keep my used tube of shoe goo fresh. I don’t keep it in fridge since solvent fumes and food doesn’t sound like a good thing.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 12:18:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I have a pickle jar that I keep my used tube of shoe goo fresh. I don’t keep it in fridge since solvent fumes and food doesn’t sound like a good thing.

That’s why I keep it in zip-lock bag  ;)

It sucks getting old.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 12:23:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

never goes hard
dries quickly
fits in pocket
cheaper than shoegoo
[close]

Interesting. Doesn’t it dry to be completely hard though? I wonder how that’d help fixing an ollie hole for example. Doesn’t it make the shoe less grippy with the hard glue in there?

I’ve learned this trick years ago, have a stick & lighter always on my backpack. IMO that is good for quick fix,like when you’re out skating and rip some seams /toecap use that to prevent more damage. Wouldn’t put in on ollie holes tho, like you said it dries up like hard plastic and bye bye grippiness...

It sucks getting old.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 03:01:16 AM »
fixed any ollie holes ive created with hot glue- thats actually all i use glue for- seems to be the only spot my shoes rip
never any grippiness issues for me
and it never gets as hard as shoe goo-which in my experience always seems to reach a level of hardness at some point and then i can just peel it of with no issue

end of the day youre using glue whether its loctite superglue and a suede patch, e5000, shoe goo or hot glue.

its not like buying two forms of adhesive will break the bank...maybe if youre doing fuggin plastidip shit i dont know

or lurk that sale gear thread and get some new kicks