Author Topic: trick tip for depression fatigue + antidepressants?  (Read 7064 times)

emchen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
trick tip for depression fatigue + antidepressants?
« on: April 13, 2018, 06:02:48 PM »
Anyone have good experiences with antidepressants? I ain't even tryna feel better about myself - I just wanna stop being tired and sore all the time whether or not I do anything.

Haven't had much energy to skate in the past year and my friends keep saying how tired I am for a 24 yr old. Still try to get out and skate every week but it's 99% soggy pop/mush legs. Only fun activity is like, lying in bed. Put off seeing a doc but I'm pretty fed up with this.

If anyone has trick tips for fakie flips, that would be cool too lol. Can't seem to balance even when I shift all my weight to my front foot.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
Re: trick tip for depression fatigue + antidepressants?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 06:47:40 PM »
Zoloft, combined with living somewhat clean, has been really helpful for me. It's annoying that anti-depressants take like 6 weeks to start to take effect, but if you're really having issues, just focus on living healthier during that period and see how you feel. The time that they take to really start working, is nothing compared to how much of your life you could waste feeling like everything's pointless all the time.

I can totally relate to having pretty bad issues with feeling tired all the time still though, and am also a really big fan of laying in bed. Kratom was actually really helpful for my energy problems, and would definitely help your soreness too, I just personally don't do that stuff anymore cause it was exacerbating my anxiety.

I don't even know what to say about fakie flips. I'm not good at skating by any means, but I've always had an easier time with fakie stuff, I <3 fakie.

bawtawd9

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 07:13:42 PM »
Anyone have good experiences with antidepressants?
No. Side effect to therapeutic ratio is pretty bad with them. I'd recommend bupropion then buspirone first though since you can gauge how it will work for you pretty quickly and have different bonding sites than regular antidepressants. Drugs that act only on serotonin sites wont help your fatigue most likely. What you really need is a type of amphetamine if you want to tackle the problem seriously.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1360
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 07:37:32 PM »
In my personal experience mediation really helps ease my anxiety/depression, even simply walking around the block and getting out the house for 15 mins does wonders
As for fakie flips I always find it easier to have my front foot over the first two bolts and my back foot on the edge of the heel side of my tail above the pocket, after popping & flicking I jumped slightly back away from my board to allow it to rotate undisturbed and try to catch it flicking foot first and lean toward the popping foot when rolling away to keep my balance

ungzilla

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 08:16:27 PM »
about a decade and a half ago i had similar bad times. no energy for anything, let alone skating. docs put me on some different things but wellbutrin (i think aka bupropione) is what rejiggered all my brain chemicals back to something approaching normal. it still took a few months for the fog to lift, so you can't be too impatient if you go that route. i haven't had to take anything since though. obviously everyone responds differently to different things, and legal disclaimer i am not a "medical" "doctor".
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:19:25 PM by ungzilla »

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 08:20:15 PM »
same.  i need to be on them, but the fatigue is killing me.  i'm in a really demanding academic program at the moment, and i'm too tired to keep up.  forget about skating or any other physical activity. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 09:48:37 PM »
Bupropion is almost pharma cocaine in my experience.

If you want energy, and never wanna smoke, try it.

Be prepared however to not be able to eat or sleep on higher doses. Drs usually increase the dose. Try to stay lower dose

Stay away from typical ssri's unless you wanna feel like being struck by lightning a few times a day(just my experience)

Also, look at the supplement in my name. Works very well.
Gentleman ninja warlock

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 10:18:39 PM »
   I find I get energy from momentum.  Sounds lame but if you launch yourself into shit it helps.  Drink water.  Breakfast.   I'm getting extra energy from cana caps I made with weed with high CBD.  -That shit will turn you into a work horse.  But don't go to the weird 'doctor'  and get pharmicaled out.  -You don't know what that shit is and the ethics in that industry are dogshit.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 10:28:34 PM »
Bupropion is almost pharma cocaine in my experience.

If you want energy, and never wanna smoke, try it.

Be prepared however to not be able to eat or sleep on higher doses. Drs usually increase the dose. Try to stay lower dose

Stay away from typical ssri's unless you wanna feel like being struck by lightning a few times a day(just my experience)

Also, look at the supplement in my name. Works very well.

i've been on bupropion for a while and i feel like it doesn't do shit for me
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 10:29:31 PM »
It sounds corny but exercise and no booze works wonders. Also make sure you're sleeping well. Those 3 things are free and good place to start if nothing else.

bawtawd9

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 12:39:10 AM »
The good medicines (dog drugs) aren't for everyone, but at least make a informed decision on what drugs you take, don't just take any old thing the doctor gives you. Most problems are lifestyle based. I say no drugs or good drugs, no inbeetween bullshit.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 12:46:06 AM »
   I find I get energy from momentum.  Sounds lame but if you launch yourself into shit it helps.  Drink water.  Breakfast.   I'm getting extra energy from cana caps I made with weed with high CBD.  -That shit will turn you into a work horse.  But don't go to the weird 'doctor'  and get pharmicaled out.  -You don't know what that shit is and the ethics in that industry are dogshit.

CBD is seriously a compound of the gods.

Never have I studied/used a compound so prolific in it's effects.

Gentleman ninja warlock

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 07:14:37 AM »
Can't help you with one...but fakie flips I'd say do a bunch of fakie ollies first to get the timing... Then just do it.  I know what you're talking about though...I lean too far forward and whiff all the time, lean too far back and it's like you roll your ankle.

Good luck on finding the energy and respect for putting it out there....people get weird about mental health and it's garbage....

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 07:30:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

CBD is seriously a compound of the gods.

Never have I studied/used a compound so prolific in it's effects.

Here's the thing, I went of my SSRI's after 4 plus years and used CBD oil primarily to stop the electric shocks shooting through my nervous system. I kept taking it for months and felt good but then without me realising I'd slipped back into deep depression alongside some crushing anxiety. I tried but in the end I went back on the SSRI's and continue with the CBD oil but I think if I didn't I was heading towards a breakdown. They still haven't taken full effect but I'm feeling better and had that light bulb moment when they first started working that it wasn't just stress, anxiety or environment that was causing me to feel that way it was my brain chemistry working against me.

Any help anyone can offer I'll take.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 08:02:19 AM »
There are about ten gazillions of them on the market and you'll be dead by time you find the one that works. Unless you're willing to become a zombie or stay up for the rest of your life, do any thing else.

I've had three kinds of them and they all fucking blew, one way, or the other. Side effects were pretty gnarly.

Then again, Jordan Peterson is on SSRI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x35Rbe81vkU

Me, no. None of that shit. I'd rather fight the demons for by my self. We'll see how it plays out.

See a doctor. Might work for you.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 09:19:03 AM »
I don't wanna go on too much about myself in your thread, but I've more or less have been dealing with anxiety and depression for the bulk of my adult life. Last year in particular was a really rough time, so I reluctantly decided to see a therapist. If you're in a slump and haven't tried speaking to a professional I highly recommend it. It's certainly not a be-all end-all, but speaking to a completely objective voice about what's going on in your life is an extremely proactive way to make some positive change. I don't really have any experience with antidepressants, but if seeking help results in taking them then more power to ya. Just be careful, because I know plenty of folks who have experienced some pretty gnarly side affects. I won't disparage them altogether, but never discount the impact of small, healthier changes to your overall mental health like drinking lots of water! Either way I hope you find whatever it is you're looking for. You're definitely not alone in the struggle, and it does get better.

As for fakie flips, I really like to put emphasis on the flick itself. As long as you get a good pop and flick forward well it sorta catches itself. Remember that Tony Hawk game where you could do the ultra slow-mo wild flip tricks? I like to imagine that in my head whenever I try any flip trick.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 09:53:15 AM »
an alternative to seeing a therapist or taking psychiatric meds is trying to retrain your brain. you do it through introspection and positively reinforcing yourself like a dog when you behave/think correctly. introspection helps you figure out the roots of your problems, something you can pay a therapist to do or which you can do on your own with some effort. and training your brain can be done in a few different ways, such as by ignoring dark thoughts and praising healthy thoughts. it’s basically meditation and forming new habits. I’m currently battling OCD and anxiety this way.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 10:01:36 AM »
  Many ways to skin a cat.     Just a thought; perhaps life would be brighter if neuroses was treated as someone's unique art project (and perhaps our main drive as humans is creativity\art rather than sex)  that MUST see it's logical end rather than non unique set of  symptoms that the 'doctor' can correlate with a certain pill  in an attempt to crush the neuroses.   Mabye you shouldn't divert but rather continue in the direction of  the 'breakdown'.   Dangerous maybe but cest la vie. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:09:45 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »

emchen

• Rep: 20
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 11:25:10 AM »
Wow, you guys are fuckin amazing people, wish I joined SLAP sooner. I really appreciate all the tips/advice!!!

I think I'll talk to someone and try to change up my routine before I try meds. I don't make an effort to sleep well at all, so that'll be the first thing for sure. Also if I went outside and somehow learned how to 360 flip, I'm pretty certain that would be enough stoke to lift me out of whatever this is.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 11:47:28 AM »
I did Cognetive Behavioural Therapy but I've never done psycho therapy or any of that. Not that I'm against it but I just don't have the time or money for it right now. I thought I could just push through and "not be a pussy" about it but in the end I can honestly say that without the drugs I probably would have done myself or someone I loved damage by now. My issue isn't something I can work around as far as I can work out, it's the balance of chemicals in my brain not working and the mess help so far. I'm always looking for alternatives. I really need a better
Work life balance though.

SOTY

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 12:52:00 PM »
Also if I went outside and somehow learned how to 360 flip, I'm pretty certain that would be enough stoke to lift me out of whatever this is.
It's all in the back foot. Whip that shit back with your toes in the pocket and she'll go! Here are other ideas to fight depression:
  • ending long-term relationships that you know deep down have become toxic
  • quitting a job you hate
  • moving from a city you don't enjoy living in anymore
  • weed
  • the great outdoors, sometimes on acid
  • trying to meditate
  • cutting down drinking/other shit
  • drinking more water, making an effort to exercise, better diet (this is so hard for me)
I can't comment on meds but these things helped me tremendously. Hoping you get better, depression is a bitch. Don't be ashamed to cry my dude, I call it a facegasm.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 613
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 01:33:16 PM »
I'm surprised you want antidepressants to feel less tired, because I've only had the opposite effect. I'm a sleepy dude in general and that's only been magnified while on Citalopram, which I've been on since January, and spent a year on in 2013/2014.

But yeah, take antidepressants for depression, not the side effects. As mentioned already, it can be a long period of trial and error before you figure out what works for you and it's just silly to do it if you're not sure it's depression you're dealing with.

Just echoing that exercise, diet, routine, etc can be helpful. I also recommend therapy to anybody who can afford it or get it covered by insurance. It's critical when you're in really low states and helpful when you're low but not THAT low. They'll also help guide you through the medication process if that's what you decide you need.

Fakie flips I put my whole flicking foot on the board around the middle to ensure I pop it higher. But Kalis lets his heel hang off way up toward the bolts and you know what his look like. Experiment and do what you gotta do.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2018, 03:01:42 PM »
an alternative to seeing a therapist or taking psychiatric meds is trying to retrain your brain. you do it through introspection and positively reinforcing yourself like a dog when you behave/think correctly. introspection helps you figure out the roots of your problems, something you can pay a therapist to do or which you can do on your own with some effort. and training your brain can be done in a few different ways, such as by ignoring dark thoughts and praising healthy thoughts. it’s basically meditation and forming new habits. I’m currently battling OCD and anxiety this way.

Cognitive thinking. And when practiced remarkable
Gentleman ninja warlock

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 06:27:05 PM »
Wow, you guys are fuckin amazing people, wish I joined SLAP sooner. I really appreciate all the tips/advice!!!

Slap is full of alcoholics, the unemployable, angry loners...we know a thing or two about being unhappy.

Some of these replies are hilarious. Bawtawd cautioning against taking medications prescribed by a doctor (admittedly not completely bad advice in all circumstances), but deep web research chemicals are totally cool though.

Also, the single redeeming thing about anti-depressants that you can cite, is the fact that Jordan fucking Peterson takes them? Yeah it would really be too bad if that jackass was too depressed, to have the energy to write about how human society should be structured more like lobster hierarchies.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eymr9NZpna8
All the advice about exercising, meditation, proper sleep and diet, etc... are solid tips for sure, and would be helpful to a degree, but are often insufficient for people dealing with serious mental health problems. Not accusing anybody here of doing this exactly (it's really cool that people are giving positive input), but for me personally, I've definitely been in situations where my friends think they're being helpful by telling me stuff like that, but it comes off as them being dismissive, or at least ignorant, of just how difficult dealing with mental health issues can be.

I go to a therapist as well, but don't tell most of my friends that. It's dumb, cause I don't judge others for it, but that's one thing I'm embarrassed about. Definitely good to have an objective outsider to give you a different perspective on things, and it's helped my communication skills as well.

Speaking of Kalis, hasn't he discussed going to therapy in a couple interviews? That's actually really cool for a guy like that to be that open about it, somebody text him and tell him to get in this thread.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 06:49:17 PM by childhood »

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 08:01:47 PM »
Cognitive therapy and counseling has helped me out tremendously. But it still took time and alot of work. And to be honest, alot of that was really hard to deal with too.

It's not fucking easy. The day I congratulated ikobakai on his 5 year sobriety I relapsed. For no fucking reason whatsoever that I can justify. I'm on like day six of being an idiot and acting dumb/irrational while trying to find a bed at rehab myself.

So I get the depression issue vastly, but I too suffer and no matter how educated I am I still have my downfalls

Just do your fuckin best. I can say a million things but that's what it comes down to. You'll be better off for it

And thanks to slap for actually wanting to help and speaking about their experience...

Last fuckin place I'd ever expect to get help but again I'm proven wrong.

Good fuckin job guys. These lil posts of expenses seriously help

Depression is just so fucked. Nobody has legit answers on how to deal with it until you suffer from it. I can't even comment on what causes it. Too many variables.

Good luck man and just do your fucking best! Everyday is a gift and appreciate that.

If you need to shoot me a pm just to talk shit if it helps. I genuinely care as I'm in this battle too

Please don't go the medication route until you feel it's necessary. It can cause shit to get alot worse(not saying it will though)

Sorry this post is just a ramble. I'm not sure if I posted it to help you or me, or both?

Get better man
Gentleman ninja warlock

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 01:39:47 AM »
I'm surprised you want antidepressants to feel less tired, because I've only had the opposite effect. I'm a sleepy dude in general and that's only been magnified while on Citalopram, which I've been on since January, and spent a year on in 2013/2014.

See this is the problem, I was on the same pill for some time, the side effects made me near damn suicidal. I ended up in the rehab and the doctor was suprised that any other medical professional would put me on Citalopram, he switched me to Prozac. Citalopram, according to him, works mainly for older people.

Again, by the time you find the one that works your soul will be depleted from switching, testing and getting off shit.

I'd rather deal with shit without pills, at least I put up a fight. However, I do not recommend my approach to any one. Who the fuck knows, I might be digging my own grave and suffer for no good reason.

Cognitive therapy and counseling has helped me out tremendously. But it still took time and alot of work. And to be honest, alot of that was really hard to deal with too.

It's not fucking easy. The day I congratulated ikobakai on his 5 year sobriety I relapsed. For no fucking reason whatsoever that I can justify. I'm on like day six of being an idiot and acting dumb/irrational while trying to find a bed at rehab myself.

Don't judge yourself too hard. Try to learn from it and get back to work, buddy.

bawtawd9

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 04:48:27 AM »
Nail a sick milly rock and I bet you'll guys will feel better instantly. Don't even gotta leave your house or put your shoes on.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 05:45:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

See this is the problem, I was on the same pill for some time, the side effects made me near damn suicidal. I ended up in the rehab and the doctor was suprised that any other medical professional would put me on Citalopram, he switched me to Prozac. Citalopram, according to him, works mainly for older people.

Again, by the time you find the one that works your soul will be depleted from switching, testing and getting off shit.

I'd rather deal with shit without pills, at least I put up a fight. However, I do not recommend my approach to any one. Who the fuck knows, I might be digging my own grave and suffer for no good reason.

Ha, I'm about to turn 40 so does that count as older? When it starts to kick in after a few weeks I get these moments of feeling subtly high like the very first part of coming up on MDMA. I think my serotonin levels are so low that just the feeling of balance makes me feel high.

I spoke to a buddy when I was off them who has similar experience to me with this and told him how hard I crashed after a few months off and he said that the problem is sometimes the drugs work so well you think you don't need them. I was convinced I was doing good and then boom I'm back in the hole.

Maybe I should talk to a doctor and switch them up.

bawtawd9

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 06:20:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Ha, I'm about to turn 40 so does that count as older? When it starts to kick in after a few weeks I get these moments of feeling subtly high like the very first part of coming up on MDMA. I think my serotonin levels are so low that just the feeling of balance makes me feel high.

I spoke to a buddy when I was off them who has similar experience to me with this and told him how hard I crashed after a few months off and he said that the problem is sometimes the drugs work so well you think you don't need them. I was convinced I was doing good and then boom I'm back in the hole.

Maybe I should talk to a doctor and switch them up.
If something works it works. You could try a different ssri, if 2 or 3 drugs in the same class work for you then other ones in the same class most likely will too. Or vice versa if they don't work you'd be better off abandoning further ssri experimentation. Or just play it safe with what you got. I like to experiment with my brain but to others its too much of a hassle. Its all up to you, you got the power of decision.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2018, 08:38:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Slap is full of alcoholics, the unemployable, angry loners...we know a thing or two about being unhappy.

Some of these replies are hilarious. Bawtawd cautioning against taking medications prescribed by a doctor (admittedly not completely bad advice in all circumstances), but deep web research chemicals are totally cool though.

Also, the single redeeming thing about anti-depressants that you can cite, is the fact that Jordan fucking Peterson takes them? Yeah it would really be too bad if that jackass was too depressed, to have the energy to write about how human society should be structured more like lobster hierarchies.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eymr9NZpna8
All the advice about exercising, meditation, proper sleep and diet, etc... are solid tips for sure, and would be helpful to a degree, but are often insufficient for people dealing with serious mental health problems. Not accusing anybody here of doing this exactly (it's really cool that people are giving positive input), but for me personally, I've definitely been in situations where my friends think they're being helpful by telling me stuff like that, but it comes off as them being dismissive, or at least ignorant, of just how difficult dealing with mental health issues can be.

I go to a therapist as well, but don't tell most of my friends that. It's dumb, cause I don't judge others for it, but that's one thing I'm embarrassed about. Definitely good to have an objective outsider to give you a different perspective on things, and it's helped my communication skills as well.

Speaking of Kalis, hasn't he discussed going to therapy in a couple interviews? That's actually really cool for a guy like that to be that open about it, somebody text him and tell him to get in this thread.

At one time suggestions of ANY nature can be 'tone deaf' and dismissive but  i feel the labeling of people who don't support the phych drug industry as ignorant and uncaring is just a narrative that supports the money machine that is the drug industry.  Don't drink the kool aid.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 08:39:48 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »