Author Topic: trick tip for depression fatigue + antidepressants?  (Read 7058 times)

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
Re: trick tip for depression fatigue + antidepressants?
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2018, 10:28:33 AM »
Thank you, sir!

Olympic weight lifting is so damn hard you can spend months with just the bar. There are sooo many things to adjust and learn.

Absolutely true!!!

I spent years on deadlifts alone(my weight still sucks, but that's because I've been on again off again)

But deads are my favorite. I love that feeling of "I hate this so much but I'm gonna crush it" kinda thing

I remember doing 285 @160lbs for the first time and the amount of stoked was like I get from skating, maybe even moreso

Now that's a shitty lift, but it was awesome for me! That's all that matters

Aaaand, I pulled it for 5 reps. Like, I'm not stopping here, that felt too easy!

Then I tried 300 and got a single.

Now it's alot of memory, I can pull 300 like a cakewalk. But I have this mental block to go above 325
Gentleman ninja warlock

iKobrakai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2018, 11:38:15 AM »
I'm not gonna derail this thread so I'll try to connect fitness to depression.

Once I'm done with heavy dead lift I tend to be in the present moment more than at any time else. Just there, breathing. I'm sure you can get to that state of mind by training your psyche but it's just so hard.

Eckhart Tolle's books helped me a bit but I stopped that for some reason.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I have a big problem with people like Jordan Petersen, who himself admits that he is basicly suffering from a burnout depression, but still seems to urge people to be self disciplined, work harder and "get their shit together". Before I fell into my depression I had all my shit together and I was extremely self disciplined and very ambitious. That was actually a big part of my problem that I force myself to do shit which I don't need to or don't want to do and that I thought I had to be strong and master everything myself. That whole american Joe Roganesque philosophy of "conquer your inner bitch" does way more harm than it does good in my opinion. I mean who are these really lazy people who are lazy and don't do shit? In my circle of friends everyone is restless as hell and always feels they don't do enough. For many people doing nothing is way harder than "doing something". I had pushed myself hard for such a long time that I didn't even realize a part of me had checked out of my life years ago. I am still kind of trying to get it back and it is still really difficult.
[close]

Yes, I not a fan of his, but his methods are good for a lot of people in certain situation. When I got out of rehab, keeping my shit in order was the only way to build a foundation for normal funtioning. For a useless fucker, like me, those methods worked (until now).

Also, that inner bitch can be a number of things (as fas as I understood). Example: I should probably get in therapy but my inner bitch stops me. After all that time in institutions, my ass is allergic to that enviroment. I refuse and am scared of going back to all that.

But, yes, I understand your point. I sitting here now thinking I pissed this day away, doing nothing. What I did today:

Had a breakfast and hung out with this girl. Worked on my clean and jerk for 90 minutes (olympic weight lifting). Bought veggies. Prepped my lunches for next week for work; chicken, veggies, rice. Did laundary.

Pretty good for a saturday, but my fucking mind is racing and I cannot help feeling like I'm wasting my life away. The question is, what is the alternative, what is "doing something"?

I'm ranting.
[close]

I'm very much like you in this regard. I basically acheive my daily goals, don't feel it's enough and push through. Actually helps me sleep at night(exhausted)

But that's where you need to draw the line. Sometimes being constructive is relaxing. Taking time to chill, or maybe just a mellow hobby. Like today I have similar plans as your day, but tonight I'm unwinding with some woodwork which I'm excited about, and it obviously doesn't stress me out.

The mind is fucked. Do more, do more! Do less, do less!

Nah it's a blend of both. We aren't machines that can go and go and go(heck even machines break down when overworked)

Stoked for you working on your form! Too many people think they "know it all and do all lifts perfect". Fuck that, always room to improve!

I'd say your day is a huge success in my opinion!

What they taught at me the clinic was that the challenge is to stop being at war with yourself. If a part of you does not want to do anything all day because you feel sad or lazy you need to acknowledge that and have a dialogue with yourself instead of just thinking of yourself as lazy or useless and just forcing yourself to do stuff. You need to at least realize "man, I am really forcing myself to do this right now even though a part of me does not want to" and than maybe do something for that part of yourself afterwards. So you could have a lazy night after you have pushed yourself all day or you take a day off and just follow those drives in you that don't want to do shit. My therapist also told me that the psyche is similar to the body in some ways so if you force yourself to do things you should find a way to recover afterwards, just like you need to recover after a hard work out. If for a longer period of time you push too hard without recovering you will basicly get injured/mentally exhausted/depressed.
Thinking about it that way has helped me alot.       

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2018, 08:31:30 AM »
an alternative to seeing a therapist or taking psychiatric meds is trying to retrain your brain. you do it through introspection and positively reinforcing yourself like a dog when you behave/think correctly. introspection helps you figure out the roots of your problems, something you can pay a therapist to do or which you can do on your own with some effort. and training your brain can be done in a few different ways, such as by ignoring dark thoughts and praising healthy thoughts. it’s basically meditation and forming new habits. I’m currently battling OCD and anxiety this way.

I agree the multieired approach is the way to go.  I'm doing some light meds, but getting outside for skating/exercise has been really helpful.  As are good eating habits and good sleep patterns.  One thing that's helped me lately is a small (4-5 people) once a week therapy group.  The therapist hand picked the group, so we're all about the same income range, we have a female attorney and an ex-Air force guy who's a commercial pilot.  We're all kind of working on the same stuff.  It helps a lot.   

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2018, 09:31:00 AM »
Expand Quote
an alternative to seeing a therapist or taking psychiatric meds is trying to retrain your brain. you do it through introspection and positively reinforcing yourself like a dog when you behave/think correctly. introspection helps you figure out the roots of your problems, something you can pay a therapist to do or which you can do on your own with some effort. and training your brain can be done in a few different ways, such as by ignoring dark thoughts and praising healthy thoughts. it’s basically meditation and forming new habits. I’m currently battling OCD and anxiety this way.
[close]

I agree the multieired approach is the way to go.  I'm doing some light meds, but getting outside for skating/exercise has been really helpful.  As are good eating habits and good sleep patterns.  One thing that's helped me lately is a small (4-5 people) once a week therapy group.  The therapist hand picked the group, so we're all about the same income range, we have a female attorney and an ex-Air force guy who's a commercial pilot.  We're all kind of working on the same stuff.  It helps a lot.   

Yep thats CBT

The beauty in brain elasticity is that it can be rewired.

It might not work for severe mental health issues, but things like OCD, PTSD, gad etc its the best approach I'm

It's certainly not magic though and you do have to work at it!
Gentleman ninja warlock