Author Topic: Brace talk  (Read 3484 times)

shitcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Brace talk
« on: April 16, 2018, 01:38:57 PM »
Anybody else an always brace guy? After a couple sprains that put me out for almost a year and a break of the same ankle right after I just gave up and now always skate with a brace. I like this ASO one I have currently cause the lateral straps actually work to prevent your forefoot from supinating, unlike your standards Walgreens braces with the metal ruler feeling thing in the sides that really only provides an illusion of protection. I do find it interferes with board feel and if I don't have it tighten it right to match my shoes I can get some poor circulation. It's getting to be time for a new one since I ripped some of the laces and am halfway through one of the straps, anybody got recommendations?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Brace talk
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 02:22:32 PM »
I always wear a knee brace - had my ACL reconstructed and my meniscus scoped twice.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 02:23:15 PM »
After a badfucking roll two years ago I rocked this for a bit and it's bulky as fuck but works; I've a less bulky neoprene one I still use from time to time if it flares up.

https://etceteraproject.com/products/ankle-brace

Which looks really similar.

After a poorform squat and age, I use a back brace from here after lifting if I strain (and use a belt):

https://oldbonestherapy.com/

They just released a knee brace and possibly working on ankle/wrist shit.

I've a number of neoprene wrist wraps but none of them actually work well.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:31:39 PM by Xen »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 04:28:23 PM »
I'm looking for something in a left wrist myself. I'm torn on if I'd rather break my arm than look like a fucking dork though.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 04:31:36 PM »
the Etcetera one is almost identical, i use that one sparingly

Buck Russell

• Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 04:48:23 PM »
I'm looking for something in a left wrist myself. I'm torn on if I'd rather break my arm than look like a fucking dork though.

i've got a funky wrist and i actually love the regular ol drugstore ace wrist wrap.

curbsmash

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 04:50:48 PM »
the Etcetera has a lot going on and is sorta bulky but fits in whatever shoe I'm wearing (from CTAS to Accels) much better than any other ankle brace I've tried.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 06:11:46 PM »
Got a plate and seven screws in my ankle so I skate with an ankle brace sometimes. I also apparently fucked up my knee when I was on crutches for six months so it sprains really easy and I skate with one half the time.

Wrist guards look rad btw.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 09:58:32 PM »

I use a soft ace bandage for my wrist when i'm active (work/skate) and I sleep in a cushioned brace. It's been helping a lot with my right wrist. I have Tedonitis and previous damage so my wrist snaps/sprains at the smallest impact. The Ace bandage doesn't seem to protect a direct impact but its been helping a lot with minimizing pain and (hopefully) getting it stronger. I also found a futuro wrist brace that I can wear that is more discreet.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 10:14:29 PM »
I skate with double wrist guards because I work with my hands. I had Triple 8 brand ones, they were comfy and well ventilated with mesh sides but the mesh got worn down pretty quickly. I’m using 187s currently and they are bulkier/not as ventilated but more comfy and a little bit shorter in length which is nice.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 10:56:03 PM »

https://www.thuasne-store.co.uk/product/ligaflex-manu-wrist-and-thumb-brace/

i've used to wear this one when i was injured 2 years ago, it works well and is fairly comfortable
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Just Giver

• Rep: 17
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 07:17:46 AM »
I always wear a knee brace - had my ACL reconstructed and my meniscus scoped twice.

How long did the meniscectomy keep you off the board?  I'm three weeks out from a meniscus tear and it's starting to look like I'm going to have to get it trimmed.     

Also the Shock Doctor 872 is a great brace, it lets me walk around pretty normally while at work. 

MaitlandPrivado

• Rep: 29
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 10:02:08 AM »
My son and I both use the Etcetera from time to time.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 10:11:37 AM »
I have two good ones for work/regular shit, but I need like a steel gauntlet or something for impacts. Even regular ass bracing if I slip out or something fucks my whole shit up for like a week.

ungzilla

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 10:21:32 AM »
have you considered the etc. Abbath pro model wrist guantlet?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 11:08:35 AM »
Every. Single. Day.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 12:07:05 PM »
After watching a Chris Miller video where he tapes up his wrists, I started doing that, much better than any neoprene solution and not as dangerous as the standard wrist guard.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 12:30:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How long did the meniscectomy keep you off the board?  I'm three weeks out from a meniscus tear and it's starting to look like I'm going to have to get it trimmed.     

Also the Shock Doctor 872 is a great brace, it lets me walk around pretty normally while at work.

It wasn't more than a couple months for just the trimmed meniscus. I use a mcdavid biologix to skate in, best I've found so far that isn't custom.

B. Hopper

• Rep: 3
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 03:14:49 PM »
I have a janky left knee. I'd been using an Asterisk Cell brace for 10 years. I just recently replaced it with a DonJoy se-4 which I think I like. The Asterisk was solid. I was always confident in it. The lacing system held well but it was big/bulky and after 10 years was falling apart. The DonJoy is light/slim, and takes some care when putting on, but when you get a feel for it, it stays in place damn well. So far (about 2 weeks) it seems to be great.

For wrists, I sometimes wear a wrist guard. I like the 661 wrist guards. They're made for moto, so the leave your hand free , don't have the plastic splints which suck when you slide out on them, and they're pretty comfortable. It's not as much protection as a plastic guard, but it suits me. I only wear them if I have a bruise though that I don't want to continue to get worse while I keep skating.
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 05:05:34 PM »
Broke both my wrists two months apart, (scaphoid) first one was the left and I got surgery on it, healed fine. While it was in the cast I broke the other the same way, apparently not as bad though and not needing surgery.

Fast forward a year and a half later and im still dealing with problems with my right wrist never healing properly. Push ups are no longer possible. Wish I had gotten the surgery and metal like the left one. Injuries suck.

Wrist braces are a must on the session now, dorky or not. I have a wicked tan line coming in right now that the sun is coming out.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 05:24:46 PM »

What do you use ? I had a brace that had the kneecap cutout and it worked well but I’ve found just a cheap sleeve brace has been more comfortable and just as helpful. Tore my mcl 2 years ago and it killed my skating to the point I’ve only felt as comfortable on my board maybe 2 sessions since. It honestly ruined my skating so much I’ve considered quitting altogether. Physical therapy never really did Shit for me.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

B. Hopper

• Rep: 3
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 09:33:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What do you use ? I had a brace that had the kneecap cutout and it worked well but I’ve found just a cheap sleeve brace has been more comfortable and just as helpful. Tore my mcl 2 years ago and it killed my skating to the point I’ve only felt as comfortable on my board maybe 2 sessions since. It honestly ruined my skating so much I’ve considered quitting altogether. Physical therapy never really did Shit for me.

MCL is why I wear one. The Donjoy Legend SE-4. So far I like it.
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 09:52:12 PM »
Broke both my wrists two months apart, (scaphoid) first one was the left and I got surgery on it, healed fine. While it was in the cast I broke the other the same way, apparently not as bad though and not needing surgery.

Fast forward a year and a half later and im still dealing with problems with my right wrist never healing properly. Push ups are no longer possible. Wish I had gotten the surgery and metal like the left one. Injuries suck.

Wrist braces are a must on the session now, dorky or not. I have a wicked tan line coming in right now that the sun is coming out.

How long did your left wrist take to heal after the scaphoid surgery? I'm two months into mine, skating with and wearing a brace all the time, can lift things under like 15 pounds heavy but gotta be careful with it, and still have about half the range of motion as my good wrist. Did you skate on yours with a brace at all? I shouldn't but it's too hard not to.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 11:22:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
What do you use?
[close]
I use a mcdavid biologix to skate in

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 04:05:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How long did your left wrist take to heal after the scaphoid surgery? I'm two months into mine, skating with and wearing a brace all the time, can lift things under like 15 pounds heavy but gotta be careful with it, and still have about half the range of motion as my good wrist. Did you skate on yours with a brace at all? I shouldn't but it's too hard not to.

I was in a hard cast for 6 weeks. After out of the cast I started rehabbing it and doing strengthening exercises and would wear a brace while I skated. Maybe a month after out of the cast I felt 100% back with it. I skated the entire time it was casted, just being careful not to fall on it, in the process I broke my other wrist because I would fall and completely isolate my hurt wrist into the air and slam onto my other wrist, elbow, etc.
It was stupid.

After surgery I felt that it may never regain full range of motion, but your body heals to with the metal quickly and now feels stronger than ever, despite a strange period of time during the frigid winter when I believe the cold bothered with it.
Wish I had gotten surgery on the right. 

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2018, 10:50:45 PM »
Anybody else an always brace guy? After a couple sprains that put me out for almost a year and a break of the same ankle right after I just gave up and now always skate with a brace. I like this ASO one I have currently cause the lateral straps actually work to prevent your forefoot from supinating, unlike your standards Walgreens braces with the metal ruler feeling thing in the sides that really only provides an illusion of protection. I do find it interferes with board feel and if I don't have it tighten it right to match my shoes I can get some poor circulation. It's getting to be time for a new one since I ripped some of the laces and am halfway through one of the straps, anybody got recommendations?

I use these ASO. And they have been the best.
Etcetera is basically exactly the same build, but of lower quality and off course cheaper.

For lower ankle injury risk skateing i use:
https://www.zamst.us/product/a1-s.3.html
The zamst i even more just support(not protection)

Back in the day when my ankles were at the worst. I had a MC David 101 whith the plastic suports in them.
They protect the ankle also. But were talking semi cast here allready. The plastic things in the side can be taken out off course.

But if the ASO has been good, go with it.
I`m possibly a bit late with this comment. But whatever, hope this helped a bit.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:55:25 PM by ultrabra »

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2018, 12:48:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It wasn't more than a couple months for just the trimmed meniscus. I use a mcdavid biologix to skate in, best I've found so far that isn't custom.
How bad is a meniscus tear? I did mine last Saturday and am booked for an MRI next week where they'll assess it for surgery. I'd prefer not to have surgery but if it means being able to skate and walk as I get older I'll do it.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2018, 07:58:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
How bad is a meniscus tear? I did mine last Saturday and am booked for an MRI next week where they'll assess it for surgery. I'd prefer not to have surgery but if it means being able to skate and walk as I get older I'll do it.

It varies a lot, mine wasn't bad at first, but one day I crossed my legs to sit down and couldn't lock my bad knee again for a few hours, it was a bucket handle tear and some of the cartilage got in the way during that motion of sitting down. After that, I decided to have it scoped, since I couldn't really depend on it. So it really is about what you can deal with personally.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2018, 10:27:24 AM »
Neoprene brace for the ankle is basically useless.

A lace up one is basically the best. I wore this swed-o one for years after bad ankle sprains. It laces up and it also has 2 removable plastic stabilizers on each side of the ankle so you can customize it for your needs

https://www.swedeo.com/product/swede-o-ankle-lok-knit-tongue/

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2018, 11:53:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

It varies a lot, mine wasn't bad at first, but one day I crossed my legs to sit down and couldn't lock my bad knee again for a few hours, it was a bucket handle tear and some of the cartilage got in the way during that motion of sitting down. After that, I decided to have it scoped, since I couldn't really depend on it. So it really is about what you can deal with personally.
Thanks man. I'm gonna see what the consultant says after the MRI but I really don't think it's that serious (yet).