Author Topic: Decked Rock n Roll  (Read 2121 times)

Andmoreagain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 51
Decked Rock n Roll
« on: April 18, 2018, 12:03:14 PM »
How the heck do you deck?

Never liked rocknrolls and thus neglected them... but I've realized that's just cus i do em the shitty way. Recently have been putting some effort into decking them but can only do it on small steep stuff so far. Trying to get em on a steep 6ft wall w pool coping has me bailing like crazy. It feels so out of control. Is there a secret to this trick? Should I just stop being a pussy?

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
Re: Decked Rock n Roll
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 12:18:15 PM »
heck, once u deck u never go beck

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 12:26:34 PM »
when i was a young kook, there was an indoor vans park with a legit vert ramp .. i would pump from the bottom and would do the smallest rock n rolls where my wheels barely grabbed the coping and roll back in .. the older vert dudes thought i was crazy and worried that i was gonna get hung up and pitched to the bottom .. i thought i was doing a cool trick  8)

also side note: i eventually dropped in and that was one of the biggest rushes ive ever had on a skateboard
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 01:00:33 PM »
I'm probably no help on this, but I can only deck it on front rocks. I actually just find them way easier. Not sure why, when I deck a regular RnR I struggle to turn back in fast enough to keep my speed.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 01:56:24 PM »
I'm probably no help on this, but I can only deck it on front rocks. I actually just find them way easier. Not sure why, when I deck a regular RnR I struggle to turn back in fast enough to keep my speed.

This is my struggle as well but I can't front rock on anything higher than my knee hahaha

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 04:38:21 PM »
you know how when you wallride you can suck your wheels up to go higher? do that then do two things simultaneously: start turning your shoulders in the direction you are going to turn and extend your front leg until it hits deck. your rotation should be complete at the same time you deck it. this makes turning out easy. works for frontside and backside.

it also helps to go as slow as possible while still being able to pull it up to reach the deck. too much speed and you'll get a lunch break up there.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 04:41:02 PM by Iceman »

Not Local

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 08:47:55 PM »
Keep your weight in the tranny as much as possible so you have to really poke your front foot into the rock position. also keep your front foot behind the front bolts- that can help lock you in properly. turn your shoulders as the wheels deck. if you don't deck- don't bother or try again until you do.

Not Local

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 08:50:06 PM »
when i was a young kook, there was an indoor vans park with a legit vert ramp .. i would pump from the bottom and would do the smallest rock n rolls where my wheels barely grabbed the coping and roll back in .. the older vert dudes thought i was crazy and worried that i was gonna get hung up and pitched to the bottom .. i thought i was doing a cool trick  8)

also side note: i eventually dropped in and that was one of the biggest rushes ive ever had on a skateboard

yeah, on vert its way riskier to do this than a properly locked and loaded rock. once you've got the timing and motion down a rock and roll is as easy as a kick turn.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 07:17:19 PM »
I used to be able to 'rock' this trick but then my front foot started to slip off on reentry and that's the worst.  I remember them being the funnest.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 04:03:02 AM »
Keep your weight in the tranny as much as possible so you have to really poke your front foot into the rock position. also keep your front foot behind the front bolts- that can help lock you in properly. turn your shoulders as the wheels deck. if you don't deck- don't bother or try again until you do.

^ this is the top tip - stay inside and push that board over till the back truck hits.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 05:58:47 PM »
when doing frontside rocks, should i have my front foot pointed straight forward as i'm going up or do i ride regular and turn it during the trick?

Not Local

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 10:26:39 AM »
Angle it as you unweight to get into it. Funny I was thinking about that the other day and notice my front foot often ends up at about a 45 degree angle.