Author Topic: Overrated movies/shows  (Read 6534 times)

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Overrated movies/shows
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2018, 10:37:18 AM »
Any movie by Tim Burton

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2018, 05:40:35 PM »
Undercover Boss

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2018, 08:21:16 AM »
super hero movies.

Cockaigne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2018, 02:46:49 PM »
Whatsup with people saying there is anything worthwile to shawshank redemption? On imdb it's the highest rated movie while i can't imagine jail being like that from seeing all the docs from the tv. It basically seems like kindergarten with a few bully guards. It's a complete cornball fairytale to me.

jomeara1

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2018, 03:27:54 PM »
Whatsup with people saying there is anything worthwile to shawshank redemption? On imdb it's the highest rated movie while i can't imagine jail being like that from seeing all the docs from the tv. It basically seems like kindergarten with a few bully guards. It's a complete cornball fairytale to me.

I like that movie but I agree with you about the way they make prison look. I once thought maybe back then it wasn’t as bad as it is today? In reality though, prison is brutal no matter what.

It’s also just the way Hollywood is with certain movies too. They probably wanted to set a certain tone to it so it’s not too dark and not too light for the audience.

bawtawd9

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2018, 03:32:13 PM »
Shawshank is good, theres hardly any filler in the story and it goes at a solid pace like a interesting book. A realistic movie about prison would be boring as fuck. Its not as exiting and badass as those lookup shows make it look like.

I don't like realistic CGI, my eyes just can't get down with it.

jomeara1

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2018, 03:35:18 PM »
Some CGI is just ridiculous. Carrie Fischer in Rogue One comes to mind and it looked comically bad.

bawtawd9

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2018, 03:39:44 PM »
Some CGI is just ridiculous. Carrie Fischer in Rogue One comes to mind and it looked comically bad.
Dude that shit pissed me off cause I was enjoying it until they pulled that shit, right at the fucking end too.

I think Bronson captures the feeling of depressing prison shit the best imo, but I still didn't like it that much.

cancelled

• Rep: -26
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2018, 04:36:51 PM »
Oz was a very entertaining prison show, even if it was pretty over the top towards the end.

Cockaigne

• Rep: 0
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2018, 08:21:03 AM »
Shawshank is good, theres hardly any filler in the story and it goes at a solid pace like a interesting book. A realistic movie about prison would be boring as fuck. Its not as exiting and badass as those lookup shows make it look like.

I don't like realistic CGI, my eyes just can't get down with it.

Shawshank is well made, i'm not arguing that. But so is phil collins music. All I remember from the movie is a bunch of guys hanging out in the courtyard sun, and morgan godman philosophizin. These guys have a better life than me! I can't have that. And the values it serves: 'sometimes an innocent is punished', 'sometimes bad guys do good things' and the all time favorite 'sometimes good guys are bad'....it's just tiring.

Agreed on the realistic cgi. John K. (from Ren & Stimpy) said it right: if you can make anything with animation... why would you make it realistic??

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2018, 04:27:29 PM »
Black Mirror is pretty overrated in my mind. I've only watched a few episodes but I don't feel compelled to watch any more. Even the first episode with the pig sex isn't deep once you get past the shock value. I think they have really interesting worlds that they build up but the social commentary aspect is just so heavy handed (which I know is the point) without any actual foundation underneath to help prop it up or flesh out the details in an interesting manner.

Although I think there's some straight up blasphemy going on in this thread which I won't start useless debates over, I feel you on this. Maybe because it was overly hyped, but I just watched the first season last week and wasn't too impressed. I thought they were interesting, but that first episode had too many things that annoyed me.

Before I dive into any more seasons, is there anyone who feels similar, but suggests the later seasons improve down the line?

Irvine-Sucks.com

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2018, 05:33:37 PM »
Sons of Anarchy.  Too fucking cheesy.  Dudes getting merked left and right with no police intervention whatsoever.  TV doesn't have to be realistic, but that shit is too over the top.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2018, 06:10:41 PM »
Yeah, that gang rape scene was fucking soft.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2018, 07:39:33 PM »
Fuck that show with Sheldon as a character.  Utterly disgusted by this unique brand of humor after the 1st 3mins of it that I saw and have hated it passionately since ( sometimes people watch it who I know.)
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2018, 07:46:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah, that gang rape scene was fucking soft.
     That tim dude jumped the fuckin shark with this movie.  They should have ended the movie the way they did with Tim on a beach but get him to have a flash back to the ass rape scene for seconds and back again to the beach with errie music then fade to black.       
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2018, 01:21:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Black Mirror is pretty overrated in my mind. I've only watched a few episodes but I don't feel compelled to watch any more. Even the first episode with the pig sex isn't deep once you get past the shock value. I think they have really interesting worlds that they build up but the social commentary aspect is just so heavy handed (which I know is the point) without any actual foundation underneath to help prop it up or flesh out the details in an interesting manner.
[close]

Although I think there's some straight up blasphemy going on in this thread which I won't start useless debates over, I feel you on this. Maybe because it was overly hyped, but I just watched the first season last week and wasn't too impressed. I thought they were interesting, but that first episode had too many things that annoyed me.

Before I dive into any more seasons, is there anyone who feels similar, but suggests the later seasons improve down the line?

Black Mirror boarders on being good but is wildly overrated. The concepts are great but the scripting, casting, and often acting really let it down. It's ok to watch but I'm not jonesing for every new episode.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2018, 06:28:38 AM »
Fuck that show with Sheldon as a character.  Utterly disgusted by this unique brand of humor after the 1st 3mins of it that I saw and have hated it passionately since ( sometimes people watch it who I know.)

I prefer cheesy/corny sitcoms like the Big Bang Theory to the ones that try to be all clever and edgy like How I Met Your Mother. Has anyone watched LA to Vegas? It’s pretty funny but a lot of reviewers hate it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 06:40:53 AM by ChuckRamone »

shark tits

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2018, 06:43:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I prefer cheesy/corny sitcoms like the Big Bang Theory to the ones that try to be all clever and edgy like How I Met Your Mother. Has anyone watched LA to Vegas? It’s pretty funny but a lot of reviewers hate it.
mayam bialik is a zionist shill. fuck her and that corny show.
black mirror is the dope show. maybe it was overhyped to yuz but i feel like it's being contrarian. 'oh i watched one episode so now i'm qualified to say it sucks'.
i've been rewatching OZ and it's not as bad ass as i remember.

Surf-goth

• Rep: -677
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2018, 05:39:22 PM »
Love this thread. Fuck all marvel movies fuck game of thrones fuck dexter fuck orange is the new black fuck weeds fuck sons of anarchy fuck harry potter fuck anything zombies ferris bueller's day off fuck grays anatomy. As a bonus fuck anti hero
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

jomeara1

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2018, 04:50:25 AM »
Love this thread. Fuck all marvel movies fuck game of thrones fuck dexter fuck orange is the new black fuck weeds fuck sons of anarchy fuck harry potter fuck anything zombies ferris bueller's day off fuck grays anatomy. As a bonus fuck anti hero

I like John Hughes movies.

But yeah, fuck Marvel movies.  I forgot to add that to my list.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 04:52:11 AM by Johnny »

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2018, 12:36:10 PM »
Westworld sucks ass

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 612
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2018, 12:58:28 PM »
Any time a TV show or movie start selling logo tee-shirts or other merchandise it's a huge downturn.   

A while back at the bar I saw a dude wearing a Walking Dead hat and a tee with a weird graphic of a tattooed Walter White. I was disappointed to see no Mad Men insignia on his gym shorts.

This thread's kind of a bummer but I just wanted to chime in that I watched Boondock Saints from beginning to end for the first time and got confirmation that it's not good. I'd seen it in parts before and assumed that I was missing important plot details but nah it's just shitty.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2018, 02:24:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Any time a TV show or movie start selling logo tee-shirts or other merchandise it's a huge downturn.   
[close]

A while back at the bar I saw a dude wearing a Walking Dead hat and a tee with a weird graphic of a tattooed Walter White. I was disappointed to see no Mad Men insignia on his gym shorts.

This thread's kind of a bummer but I just wanted to chime in that I watched Boondock Saints from beginning to end for the first time and got confirmation that it's not good. I'd seen it in parts before and assumed that I was missing important plot details but nah it's just shitty.

Don't watch the second one haha

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2018, 02:29:52 PM »
The Big Lebowski.

It's actually not that bad of a movie, but nowhere near worth the over-hype it constantly gets. 

Not even close to being the best Cohen brothers movie, not even in the top 5.

jomeara1

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2018, 03:14:38 PM »
The Big Lebowski.

It's actually not that bad of a movie, but nowhere near worth the over-hype it constantly gets. 

Agree. I never understood why people claim it to be the funniest movie they have ever seen. It’s a solid movie that is fun to watch but that’s as far as I’ll go with it. There are plenty of other movies that i think are way funnier.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2018, 03:58:18 PM »
The Big Lebowski.

It's my favorite movie of all time, but "Miller's Crossing" is my favorite Coen brothers movie.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2018, 04:21:40 PM »
Miller’s Crossing is fucking amazing. The dialogue, story, editing etc. I think No Country For Old Men in a close 2nd for their best...

American Beauty is a pretty great film, but that floating bag scene is so annoying and pretentious.

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

jomeara1

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2018, 05:26:14 PM »
No Country is definitely my favorite from them. Fargo is good too, Raising Arizona, O Brother Where Art Thou?, I think they were even involved with Bad Santa too.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2018, 06:03:54 PM »
Millers Crossing was great.  Blood Simple, No Country, Raising Arizona, Fargo are all great...

Barton Fink is by far my personal favorite of theirs.  Possibly my favorite movie

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2018, 06:33:30 PM »
I think Miller’s crossing took them forever to write. They had bouts of writers block writing it, then wrote Barton Fink from their experience. Which box office wise hit bigger than Miller’s crossing with a far less budget. Something like that.

Edit: both films great in their own right. To me the coen’s weakest film is A Serious Man.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 06:36:36 PM by whitemanjazz »
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna