Author Topic: Northern California  (Read 830 times)

Dr Steve Brule

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
Northern California
« on: April 23, 2018, 06:31:36 AM »
About that time for something new. Looking into northern California, probably smaller towns/cities. I'll probably continue working in a trade, carpentry or electrical work. Wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a young couple trying to find a good city in the area
For Your Health

Sad Hippo

Re: Northern California
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 12:45:27 PM »
How North? The problem is Northern California is huge and varies so much.  I live on the Peninsula, south of SF and I want to leave, but I'm sort of stuck here.  Stay away from the Bay Area, it's impossible unless you're in tech.  I'd go East, to Grass Valley/Nevada City, or North to Humboldt County: Arcata/Eureka.  Chico is pretty terrible.  I'm trying to get a job in Santa Rosa right now and head that way because I have family and ties to the area but even there it's getting too expensive. Hope that gave you some ideas, but I can't stress enough, stay out of the Bay.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 03:26:33 PM »
How North? The problem is Northern California is huge and varies so much.  I live on the Peninsula, south of SF and I want to leave, but I'm sort of stuck here.  Stay away from the Bay Area, it's impossible unless you're in tech.  I'd go East, to Grass Valley/Nevada City, or North to Humboldt County: Arcata/Eureka.  Chico is pretty terrible.  I'm trying to get a job in Santa Rosa right now and head that way because I have family and ties to the area but even there it's getting too expensive. Hope that gave you some ideas, but I can't stress enough, stay out of the Bay.

Yeah we're moving from Brooklyn, NY so definitely trying to find a place more affordable than NYC/SF. She's from San Diego but wants to give it a shot somewhere else in the state; I'm down for anywhere that has good weather & legal weed. She mentioned Humboldt County, which sounds nice.

I've heard to avoid Chico, Yuba City, and Fresno. I noticed Santa Rosa is getting pretty expensive. Basically we're just looking for a place with affordable home prices, some work, and I'd like a decent skatepark.
For Your Health

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 03:53:11 PM »
I'm in Santa Cruz. I like it here. Great weather and good parks. Stupid expensive though, and not a lot of jobs.

People seem to love Humboldt/Arcata. Very pretty up there and if weed's what you're into, weed is definitely what you'll get. I don't know about the affordability of it but I'd guess it's way cheaper than the bay area.

I do have friends in Sacramento and they really like it there. Again, not sure about home prices but they have to be cheaper than the bay.

I 100% cosign avoiding the places you mentioned. And in fact, most of central CA is somewhat unpleasant in my opinion. Hot as fuck and desolate.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 09:58:21 PM »
Move to Modesto.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.