Author Topic: Milking it  (Read 21556 times)

randy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
Milking it
« on: May 04, 2018, 02:53:15 PM »
Not getting any better or worse. Just filming the same shit in different videos. You know what you’re going to get before you watch it.
Spanky is right at the top of my list

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
Re: Milking it
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »
Ok

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 03:02:36 PM »
Not getting any better or worse. Just filming the same shit in different videos. You know what you’re going to get before you watch it.
Spanky is one of the most interesting skaters to me out there at the moment. I don't know, if he's doing the same things over again, I don't think about that. He evokes emotions in me when I watch him skating. That's enough..
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

Jacob Gary

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 03:02:57 PM »

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 03:07:43 PM »
Wouldn't the correct word be "stagnant"? If there's one thing I can respect about Spanky's skating its that he's expanding his horizons a little bit and that there were very few repeated tricks in his Made Chapter 2 part, plus his tic-tacs were pretty much non-existent. If you want to talk about milking it, that's more like older dudes past their prime that don't bring anything else new or stronger to their parts.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 03:11:16 PM »
spankys burnt out confirmed
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

randy

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 03:14:51 PM »
Ok I fucked up. Ignore my spanky comment I’m drinking and I actually don’t think that now that I think about it.

jomeara1

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 03:28:10 PM »
Kind of strange that the first person you thought of was Sparky, since he got kicked of Baker at one point and pretty much had to prove to Reynolds that he’s still worth being on the team.

If you wanna talk about milking it,  Borra’s run on DC had to be the most ridiculous fucking thing to ever happen in the history of skateboarding.

randy

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 03:31:29 PM »
As I said I fucked up.  Was talking nonsense but yeah borra is a weird choice. When is the last clip he put out?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 03:34:58 PM »
"Milking it" is all the dudes who put out zero content.

Seriously, now that non-banger skating is the hot stuff there really isn't any reason for your favorite pro to not put out a part every 4 months.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 04:17:06 PM »
C Rob but he will be the 1st one to tell you.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 04:46:02 PM »
Jake Johnson is occupying the same space he always has. Not that he's stagnant, but he seems like he never slowed up and it's kinda hard to go any further up the charts.

In terms of stagnation, I'd say Sean Powers.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 04:49:58 PM »
I feel like for some of those guys that's actually rad. Like, if there were ever a Kalis part where I didn't get a 360 flip, or a Reynolds part without a frontside flip I'd feel ripped off.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

PeggyHillsShittySpanish

• Rep: 2
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 04:51:08 PM »
TK.

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 04:55:10 PM »
TK.
He's put out a bunch of instagram clips at the same park with the same lines, but they're very basic. Flip trick before rail or ledge, not much else to it.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 04:55:33 PM »
Spanky Spanly is right at the top of my list

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 04:56:08 PM »
Neen.
Bennett.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 04:58:43 PM »
I milk the shit out of a 90degreekf on a bank. did it like 8 times today for a setup trick
fucking randy

duster1

• Rep: 0
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 09:25:02 PM »
I'm Milking that Kick flip and you bet it feels good   ;D ;) its really messing up the toe of my shoe  :-\ :-X
Skating and Baitin

Larry Sportello

• Rep: 17
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 10:01:11 PM »
I'd rather watch Spanky do some low impact wallride bullshit then go on pretending the Mark Appleyard is still a real productive professional skateboarder.

Surf-goth

• Rep: -676
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 11:31:52 PM »
Gino made an entire career of milking it. 
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2018, 12:28:56 AM »
Post 2003, yes, but even then, he still brings value to brands being a legend and highly popular among older skaters. It is similar to guys like Tom Penny or Arto with Flip or Max Schaaf and Huf are still on Real.

The ones who make no sense are guys who haven't put out a part in years, aren't a big name and still hanging on somehow. For example, Chris Roberts and Eldridge haven't put out a full solo part (unless you count Eldridge edit of his Pretty Sweet stuff) in almost a decade or Billy Marks who hasn't had a full part since Brainwash.

Flabby cold demeanor

• Rep: -16
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2018, 01:02:01 AM »

Are you 15? Get the hell out of here.

quaintly

• Rep: 10
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2018, 01:16:31 AM »
D.A.R.Y.L 's little kid footage was somewhat on par with his current clips .

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2018, 04:36:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Post 2003, yes, but even then, he still brings value to brands being a legend and highly popular among older skaters. It is similar to guys like Tom Penny or Arto with Flip or Max Schaaf and Huf are still on Real.

The ones who make no sense are guys who haven't put out a part in years, aren't a big name and still hanging on somehow. For example, Chris Roberts and Eldridge haven't put out a full solo part (unless you count Eldridge edit of his Pretty Sweet stuff) in almost a decade or Billy Marks who hasn't had a full part since Brainwash.

When talking about, "Milking it," a lot of these guys are doing other stuff and aren't really relying on their board sponsor's check. 

Huf obviously runs a super successful brand, Max has his motorcycle thing, Chris has a pretty successful podcast/web show, Arto has the photography thing, I think Billy works at Vans.  I have no idea what Penny or Eldy are up to.  I rember when Eldridge came out I thought he was the next Koston.  Injuries suck. 

When I think of, "Milking it" I think of the alcoholic/addict guys who just disappear for years.  It is kind of cool skating is so loyal and forgiving.  If I decided to go smoke crack/shoot H for a few years my company would not keep issuing me checks and welcome me back when it was over. 

jomeara1

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2018, 05:33:26 AM »
There are too many pros in the industry now and it’s not like other athletic careers when athletes just retire comfortably at a certain age.  Most of these pros don’t make as much money as you think so they try to hang on to that check as long as they can. Some of them got lucky and found jobs behind the scenes in the industry or started their own companies or took over companies that they rode for years. But others don’t have that opportunity, nor have a college degree or any other type of marketable skill that will help them in the ‘real world’ post skate career.  I bet a lot of them didn’t even think about that when they were young and starting.  People like Jeff Lenoce and Heath did it right.  Unless if you’re Nyjah, Sheckler, Tony Hawk, or Koston, you should either take some college courses on the side, go to trade school, and/or invest your money in an IRA or something.

Patrick2G

• Rep: -299
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2018, 05:39:55 AM »

Haha I don't know about entire career, but yeah that dude is the biggest milker in the game. But, if people wanted to pay me to do shitty easy tricks and push I would happily accept.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2018, 05:58:32 AM »
There are too many pros in the industry now and it’s not like other athletic careers when athletes just retire comfortably at a certain age.  Most of these pros don’t make as much money as you think so they try to hang on to that check as long as they can. Some of them got lucky and found jobs behind the scenes in the industry or started their own companies or took over companies that they rode for years. But others don’t have that opportunity, nor have a college degree or any other type of marketable skill that will help them in the ‘real world’ post skate career.  I bet a lot of them didn’t even think about that when they were young and starting.  People like Jeff Lenoce and Heath did it right.  Unless if you’re Nyjah, Sheckler, Tony Hawk, or Koston, you should either take some college courses on the side, go to trade school, and/or invest your money in an IRA or something.

The pensions people get in other "sports" are ridiculous.  Plus the guaranteed money.  In skating if you blow your knee our, you're done, unless people like you enough to keep you around and let you pack boxes or something. 

Plus young skaters on the come up are encouraged to do some of the most dangerous stuff possible to, "Make a name for themselves" with little to no heath insurance.   

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 82
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2018, 06:13:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha I don't know about entire career, but yeah that dude is the biggest milker in the game. But, if people wanted to pay me to do shitty easy tricks and push I would happily accept.

You're a fucking idiot, go to the stairs he kickfliped over the channel at roslyn banks or go to stonybrook university and see those fucking bank to ledges he switch nose slid then talk you fuck. Also, you got switch inward heel manny you piece of shit???

jomeara1

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2018, 06:37:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The pensions people get in other "sports" are ridiculous.  Plus the guaranteed money.  In skating if you blow your knee our, you're done, unless people like you enough to keep you around and let you pack boxes or something. 

Plus young skaters on the come up are encouraged to do some of the most dangerous stuff possible to, "Make a name for themselves" with little to no heath insurance.   

Yeah the health insurance is a whole nother issue.  It must feel like complete shit when you worked so hard at fulfilling your dream at becoming pro and then blowing your ACL or something crazy like that.  I completely back companies like Girl that hang on to their riders when something like that happens.