Author Topic: Mike Davis RIP  (Read 75264 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Mike Davis RIP
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2018, 08:06:28 AM »
Damn that's fucked. RIP

AreYouHarvinFun?

• Rep: 3
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2018, 08:07:48 AM »
Nice Dude. Sad to hear.

R.I.P.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2018, 08:35:46 AM »
RIP.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2018, 08:41:54 AM »
Damn this sucks, I was a fan since that ride channel part and even more after kotr seeing that he's a real solid nice dude too. Definitely the last guy I'd imagine going through something like this, seemed such a level headed positive person. Was really bummed when he quit professional skating because of having to get a real job and kept waiting for a comeback. I wonder if he filmed anything for saturday that wasn't released
rip

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2018, 08:42:34 AM »
Damn. Mike was a really good dude. RIP.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2018, 08:52:37 AM »
i find all these insta posts increasingly annoying to read. everyone's like 'oh this sucks so much' 'mike was the best we all miss him'
i know it's not that black & white and there's probably a huge story to all this but
had he felt that outpouring of love & support when he was still alive, the story could have had a different end. maybe. i don't know it just sucks
There's always something that could have happened, been done, or not done. There's always regret with death, especially when its premature. Its a normal reaction, but at the same time, I highly doubt anybody was like "I hear he's having problems, fuck him! Let him die!" Its just not as simple as turning on or off a light switch, unfortunately.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

doublesteveburger

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2018, 08:57:01 AM »
Dude fucked up some heavy Arizona spots.

RIP

Stony Hawk

• Rep: 5
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2018, 09:39:45 AM »
Expand Quote
i find all these insta posts increasingly annoying to read. everyone's like 'oh this sucks so much' 'mike was the best we all miss him'
i know it's not that black & white and there's probably a huge story to all this but
had he felt that outpouring of love & support when he was still alive, the story could have had a different end. maybe. i don't know it just sucks
[close]
There's always something that could have happened, been done, or not done. There's always regret with death, especially when its premature. Its a normal reaction, but at the same time, I highly doubt anybody was like "I hear he's having problems, fuck him! Let him die!" Its just not as simple as turning on or off a light switch, unfortunately.

This. 

As a son who lost his father to suicide less than two years ago I get it.  No red flags, only a phone call telling me my father’s body had been found with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.  No goodbye letter.  No explanation.  Just confusion and emptiness.
EMAIL ME YOUR DANKEST NUGS

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1314
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2018, 09:42:01 AM »
Really sad news. RIP Mike.

Opiates will steal your whole goddam deal.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

This. 

As a son who lost his father to suicide less than two years ago I get it.  No red flags, only a phone call telling me my father’s body had been found with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.  No goodbye letter.  No explanation.  Just confusion and emptiness.

Really sorry to hear that. My dad passed suddenly when I was 16, not of suicide but of a brain aneurysm... I know it's not the same but the suddenness and no red-flags are similar.

Mike was really nice and humble. I run an Insta that posts clips filmed in michigan, either by locals or pros that come through. I posted a clip of Mikes a few months ago and he immediately DM'd me and was stoked on the account and that I had posted his clip. Didn't have much to say but a lot of times locals wont' acknowledge the account or cool guy it and so for someone who had 'made it' (so to speak) be so cool and thankful was a pleasant surprise.  RIP.

Opiate/oides are fucking scary and I'm really proud of anyone that fights that and wins, as it's far too easy to lose that fight. Someone very close to me got free of them, and every time it get's brought up I tell her how proud I am of her.

Sorry for the rambling post. Be there for people going through these things.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

corndogs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2018, 12:31:25 PM »
Damn Shame.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2018, 12:34:07 PM »
Wow, can't believe I missed this..

Rest In Peace Mike

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2018, 12:53:12 PM »
Saw Tony's post about it. So heavy  :'(

Forgot about all the amazing shit he did on KOTR.
Rest in peace!

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2018, 01:02:51 PM »
Which post? The one on instagram says something to the effect of ‘I wish you could have accepted that help when it was offered to you and pull out of your downward spiral.’ Sounds like a real cold/jerky thing to say but Tony Hawk has always been a jerk.

Theeogbiing

• Rep: -2
  • Taught Bieber how to skate.
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2018, 01:17:01 PM »
If you go and read his mother's comment on the Thrasher past you will know what happened.

Mike was and always will remain a local legend and brother to us here in Portland. I'm gonna miss him alot, but the community out here is gonna make sure his daughter is taken care of...

https://www.gofundme.com/tg4qq-mike-davis

A GoFundMe was set up by a very close friend of his and it's all going to his daughter's mother to help with everything.
You ever suck 7 dicks at once? No? Me either then....

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2018, 01:34:43 PM »
Which post? The one on instagram says something to the effect of ‘I wish you could have accepted that help when it was offered to you and pull out of your downward spiral.’ Sounds like a real cold/jerky thing to say but Tony Hawk has always been a jerk.

"I wish you could have pulled out of the downward spiral and accepted help"

i don't think its cold at all.  it comes off as really sincere and well thought out. he knows that young people will be reading what he wrote.   i enjoyed mike davis, his skating and personality.  pretty sure my only post on the appreciation board was a thread dedicated to him.   when it comes to mental illness and drug abuse, (fortunately) I've always been on the side reaching out my hand to help pull people out so i don't know how hard it is to accept help. but I'm with tony on this one.  especially when when you have a kid.   Take the fucking hand and accept the help. 
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

walmart420

« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2018, 02:08:03 PM »
Please watch out for that heroin and them pills guys, that shit is a real dirty game nowdays. Only reason I haven't died is cause I set limits for myself regarding street heroin and pills bought on street. Even watch out for them xanax bars, alprazolam powder is much harder to source this year. If your gonna use drugs please be smart about it and try to understand what's going on out there. Fentanyl test strips are a dollar, for the kids dead set on experimenting in that world. Thing is all that caution goes out the window when your addicted and need to get well. Better off never getting into that stuff.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2018, 03:43:13 PM »
I know nothing about Arizona drug culture but heroin hit Ventura county super hard in southern california about 10 years ago. I thought it was bad when a friend of mine started it but no way I could have seen 10+ deaths of dudes I skated with.

Times have changed and drug abuse is gnarly out there. Can't imagine how his family is doing but all the best wishes to his daughter.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2018, 04:10:28 PM »
rip mike
incredible skateboarder but man this is sad

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2018, 06:12:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
RIP to Van Wastell again, I didn't know the truth about his death until recently & it really shook me up
[close]

Sorry for asking about this but what happened?
[close]

Supposedly his friends and team mates took his drugs, locked him in a room and forced him to go cold turkey, which I guess he didn’t respond well to. 

I get a little choked up when I watch Get Out thinking about Van because the brother in that kinda resembles him
[close]

Wait what? I thought he drunkenly fell out of a window? Shit that’s way sadder.

Seriously though if anyone going that kind of thing needs to talk even if it’s mundane shit just to actually talk to someone that day, don’t hesitate to pm me. It’s not worth not saying something, cause that shit sucks.
[close]

where did you read this horse shit? really really shitty to make up false details regarding some ones passing...
[close]
Jake Phelps mentioned it in a piece for California Magazine (or something) and several people close to Van have been surprisingly candid about the circumstances surrounding his passing. It's unfortunately very true.
[close]

It starts at the second paragraph after the photo of the glasses.

https://story.californiasunday.com/jake-phelps-thrasher
[close]

Jesus christ, Phelps comes off as such a fucking dick in that

Whoa that's the first time hearing this.... always wondered why there were so few details ever released about that.... can anyone here verify if that story is true?
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2018, 06:58:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i don't think its cold at all.  it comes off as really sincere and well thought out. he knows that young people will be reading what he wrote.   i enjoyed mike davis, his skating and personality.  pretty sure my only post on the appreciation board was a thread dedicated to him.   when it comes to mental illness and drug abuse, (fortunately) I've always been on the side reaching out my hand to help pull people out so i don't know how hard it is to accept help. but I'm with tony on this one.  especially when when you have a kid.   Take the fucking hand and accept the help. 

I'm not picking on you and I hope I don't come off like a dick, but it's not always as easy as accepting the help when it comes to addiction, especially when mental illness is involved. A more people would beat heroin and opiates if all it took was accepting the help and support their family and friends offer up.

I recently lost my younger brother to heroin addiction, and he had more love and support than most will ever get. He also battled depression and schizophrenia and the combination of all that made even his best days a struggle. He had long stints of soberity and even then I could see the pain and unhappiness in his eyes. The unfortunate thing is that the one thing that could dull his pain was what would kill him.

I was very hesitant to post this because I didn't want to make the thread about me, but my intention is it let people know that overcoming something like addiction is not as simple as a lot of us think. Like Gip said, they can't just flip a switch on and off. People suffering need our love and support and also our empathy. Addicts still have a terrible stigma and that only makes it harder for them to get clean and repair their lives. Do what you can to help those in need and try to understand that what someone might be going through is a real fucking battle that many of us fortunately don't have to fight.

None of us knew what Mike was going through and it's not fair to judge. May he rest in peace.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 07:02:23 PM by JB »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2018, 07:16:28 PM »
I think Tony maybe should have phrased it as "if you need help, please go out and get it, especially if people are offering to" rather than referring specifically to Mike, but it came from the heart.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2018, 07:18:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
RIP to Van Wastell again, I didn't know the truth about his death until recently & it really shook me up
[close]

Sorry for asking about this but what happened?
[close]

Supposedly his friends and team mates took his drugs, locked him in a room and forced him to go cold turkey, which I guess he didn’t respond well to. 

I get a little choked up when I watch Get Out thinking about Van because the brother in that kinda resembles him
[close]

Wait what? I thought he drunkenly fell out of a window? Shit that’s way sadder.

Seriously though if anyone going that kind of thing needs to talk even if it’s mundane shit just to actually talk to someone that day, don’t hesitate to pm me. It’s not worth not saying something, cause that shit sucks.
[close]

where did you read this horse shit? really really shitty to make up false details regarding some ones passing...
[close]
Jake Phelps mentioned it in a piece for California Magazine (or something) and several people close to Van have been surprisingly candid about the circumstances surrounding his passing. It's unfortunately very true.
[close]

It starts at the second paragraph after the photo of the glasses.

https://story.californiasunday.com/jake-phelps-thrasher
[close]

Jesus christ, Phelps comes off as such a fucking dick in that
[close]

Whoa that's the first time hearing this.... always wondered why there were so few details ever released about that.... can anyone here verify if that story is true?
Yeah, I just did.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2018, 05:16:41 AM »
Can't believe it, this is horrible. RIP

Edit, this is relevant:

There is still such a stigma which makes it harder to get the help you need. My best friend told me it was just in my head and not to think about it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:21:06 AM by Mark Renton »
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2018, 06:18:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm not picking on you and I hope I don't come off like a dick, but it's not always as easy as accepting the help when it comes to addiction, especially when mental illness is involved. A more people would beat heroin and opiates if all it took was accepting the help and support their family and friends offer up.

I recently lost my younger brother to heroin addiction, and he had more love and support than most will ever get. He also battled depression and schizophrenia and the combination of all that made even his best days a struggle. He had long stints of soberity and even then I could see the pain and unhappiness in his eyes. The unfortunate thing is that the one thing that could dull his pain was what would kill him.

I was very hesitant to post this because I didn't want to make the thread about me, but my intention is it let people know that overcoming something like addiction is not as simple as a lot of us think. Like Gip said, they can't just flip a switch on and off. People suffering need our love and support and also our empathy. Addicts still have a terrible stigma and that only makes it harder for them to get clean and repair their lives. Do what you can to help those in need and try to understand that what someone might be going through is a real fucking battle that many of us fortunately don't have to fight.

None of us knew what Mike was going through and it's not fair to judge. May he rest in peace.

wrote a long post defending my position, but i don't know shit and this isnt the place. i read your post.  you are not a dick, i think i might be.  i'm sorry about your brother. that's awful. 
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

VenturaSkate

« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2018, 06:32:46 AM »
I know nothing about Arizona drug culture but heroin hit Ventura county super hard in southern california about 10 years ago. I thought it was bad when a friend of mine started it but no way I could have seen 10+ deaths of dudes I skated with.

Times have changed and drug abuse is gnarly out there. Can't imagine how his family is doing but all the best wishes to his daughter.

Yeah dude, it's jacked, meaning Venturas drug scene. My dad's skate group all partied and smoked pot, which eventually led to meth and heroin. My dad never did it, but at least four of his friends died from drugs. One of them was Nick, his friend, who died last year on Christmas day from an overdose on oxies and heroin.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2018, 08:08:31 AM »
Real shame... Always thought that sw 360 flip was one of the best ever.

RIP

I’ve only seen h once in 30 years of living in Singapore. Can’t imagine what it must be like to have it so widely available. We get our fair share of suicides though. Was out for drinks on Friday to commemorate a year since a Friend leapt off the the top of the Marina Bay Sands. Successful guy. No warning. 2 week old baby. Fuck knows why he jumped.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2018, 01:41:10 PM »

He's from Portland. From what I've heard, Portland had a serious heroin epidemic well before it was a national issue that continues to this day
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2018, 01:43:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
He's from Portland. From what I've heard, Portland had a serious heroin epidemic well before it was a national issue that continues to this day
PNW has had heroin issues for a loonngg time. It's like the Space Needle is a homing beacon for junkies.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2018, 02:01:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
PNW has had heroin issues for a loonngg time. It's like the Space Needle is a homing beacon for junkies.
Cities on ports/on the coasts have always tended to have bigger heroin problems than middle America for whatever reasons. For example, both Montreal and Vancouver have bigger issues with Heroin than Toronto. On the east coast its cities like Baltimore and Philly that have serious issues.