Author Topic: Heading to Philly Thursday  (Read 1395 times)

No-pants Pee Hands

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Heading to Philly Thursday
« on: May 07, 2018, 08:41:32 PM »
My wife and I are heading to Philly Thursday, getting in the morning. Gonna be there for 5 days anything going on worth hitting up? or any good spot or bar suggestions would be appreciated!

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
Re: Heading to Philly Thursday
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 04:30:51 AM »
Check out the reading terminal market for food and drinks. It’s pretty unique. Also, hit up Pop’s skate park in Kensington. Be careful in that area at night though—it’s a day time spot anyway.

Coolhats

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 05:37:53 AM »
Paines is an okay park, but it’s in a cool area. It’s right next to the art museum and next to the river, so you could skate and then explore around there. As far as food, I always love getting burritos from the Cantina. There’s one in south Philly (Lis Caballitos) and one more north on 2nd Street (Dos Segundo), close to Exit skate shop. Tattooed Mom’s is cool (50 cent perogies on Thursday) and right across the street from Nocturnal Skate shop.

No-pants Pee Hands

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 03:50:00 PM »
Check out the reading terminal market for food and drinks. It’s pretty unique. Also, hit up Pop’s skate park in Kensington. Be careful in that area at night though—it’s a day time spot anyway.

Thanks man! We’re definitely gonna try and hit Pop’s Park and thanks for letting me know when to head there is it usually a busy park?

Coolhats

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 03:53:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks man! We’re definitely gonna try and hit Pop’s Park and thanks for letting me know when to head there is it usually a busy park?

There’s usually a ton of little kids from the neighborhood. Try to go during early school hours

No-pants Pee Hands

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 03:59:27 PM »
Okay awesome! Also good looks on your suggestions to man, you both helped make this trip a good time!

sk84s8n

• Rep: -53
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 06:40:02 AM »
I don't know if it's been mentioned but Gray's Ferry is a really sick little park.  Obviously FDR is a must see.  Maybe get lucky and hit the South Philly Warehouse bowl.

powerhazard

• Rep: 7
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 07:17:11 PM »
I'm new to Philly so my suggestions are definitely only scratching the surface, but I enjoy them.
Gray's Ferry is awesome, definitely go there. Not usually too crowded either. If you are into tacos and beer, Loco Pez. It's cash only and cheap too. It's also in the same area as Pop's park. If you're in the Fishtown area go to Fette Sau for good barbecue. It is kind of a fancier, hip spot, but I really love their food. Don't go at prime time though, there can be long lines. My favorite mexican place in town is Taqueria Veracruzana, too.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 10:16:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There’s usually a ton of little kids from the neighborhood. Try to go during early school hours

Coolhats knows what they're talking about, it can be pretty hard to skate there when all the little kids are skating it. In all honesty you should probably go when it's busy though just to see the little kids, they're a completely different breed than any other child I have ever seen. I saw 13 year old white kid in a wife beater with a tattoo smoking a cig there once. It was pretty cool.

Depending on what part of the city there's tons of stuff to do. I back getting food and drinks at tattoo mom's. If you're in south philly and really enjoy an iconic dive bar, check out Rays Happy Birthday Bar. It's right by the cheesteak places/italian market, on the opposite side of the block from Gino's. You can still smoke in there and on friday nights they have a ridiculous karaoke. My personal favorite bar is the POPE (Pub on Passyunk East). Great beer list, great brunch. Get the chicken fried chicken with two over easy eggs, and all drafts are half off saturday and sunday morning from 11 am- 1 pm.

I moved a couple years ago but if your in South Philly there are still some diy ledges below 95 in between mifflin and morris. Also rizzo rink is down the street and covered by 95, if it rains and you want to skate the best flat ever. Also there's usually crates and garbage you can set up to skate there. It's behind a dunkin donuts, a beer store and a Vietnamese restaurant. These aren't the most ideal spots but they're covered and skateable if it rains.

Also if you go into either shop, Noc or Exit, someone will most likely point you into the right direction of something fun to skate.

Enjoy it. I love that city.

EDIT: Sorry I just realized I am pretty late to this so my suggestions were probably not helpful. Either way, hope you had a good time.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:19:06 PM by Bristol_Palin »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 05:04:46 PM »
I would point people towards Paines, Grays, FDR, Granahan, or McCreesh before Pop's. Pop's isn't terrible but it's in no way a destination park.

emchen

• Rep: 20
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 07:31:28 PM »
Muni is still there and skateable, but be aware of cops. It's usually pretty clear weekend mornings and if the locals are there, people keep a good eye out for the cops. I'd pay a visit even if you're not skating there - high chance of seeing the best dudes in philly (sabotage crew, Noc, etc). Dilworth plaza at city hall got renovated but the original granite benches were actually installed at Paines.

Food-wise, Chinatown is great (best pho in the city is Pho Xe Lua around 9th and Race). If you're into bubble tea, Kung Fu Tea is good but definitely check out A Cup of Tea on 9th. They use fresh ingredients and at times, I wonder if they make a profit due to how much care they put into each drink.

Best Mexican place in South Philly imo is Los Taquitos de Puebla III which is literally a few yards from Ray's Happy Birthday Bar and the cheesesteaks. Have fun!

EDIT: wow I need to pay attention to post dates but hey, hope you get some ideas for next time!

No-pants Pee Hands

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 03:03:26 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions! Definitely going to try and get to do more next time I’m out there! Also did manage to find the Dane Burman rail, that was an actually surprise and mind blowing in person.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:05:22 PM by No-pants Pee Hands »