Author Topic: pants in skateboarding  (Read 18013 times)

botefdunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
Re: pants in skateboarding
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2018, 09:04:06 PM »
Tim o connor always had impeccable pant style. Also his shirt to pants ratio was on point.

Unfortunately tiago blows it by not wearing a long enough shirt to go along with his baggy pants. Does not look good when your pants are big and your shirt is short and wide.

agree in general, but in Tiago's case I'd like to invoke the "Creager Clause"
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:58:38 PM by botefdunn »

Tommy G

• Rep: -12
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2018, 06:24:20 AM »
Bryan Herman with the signature Altamont pants back in Stay Gold. Had the wide upper leg, low crotch, but tight lower legs. Had a pair similar to those and they were amazing to skate in.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2018, 09:56:49 AM »
Bryan Herman with the signature Altamont pants back in Stay Gold. Had the wide upper leg, low crotch, but tight lower legs. Had a pair similar to those and they were amazing to skate in.

Yes! This! These pants are the pants I need, and deserve. Or rather, pants with that impeccable fit.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2018, 10:51:51 AM »
The Element Reese Forbes "two steps to tango" elastic capri pants were pretty heinous.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 424
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2018, 11:24:48 AM »
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

notcool

« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2018, 04:05:16 PM »
i just wear dickies they're $22

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2018, 04:24:55 PM »
Limpies for sure. Maybe the best logo ever too.

Ghetto Wear shorts were the best though. Bright New Deal pants were thinner than Blind jeans, which cut that fabric weight down. No wonder everyone was burning worms, we all had 20lbs of pants on.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2018, 07:30:49 PM »
I really like Asta’s BDUs. Not too baggy, just right.

Not my style but I respect Norah boldly rocking the pastel 

Favorite pants ever were a pair of Emerica Burnside cargoes, burly thick fabric, but brushed cotton and really soft and comfortable
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2018, 07:58:07 PM »
MJ and his corduroy pants.

brettpancake

• Rep: 2
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2018, 09:14:49 PM »
Nora rocks the lavender pants well. Jordan Taylor not so much.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2018, 01:26:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Tim o connor always had impeccable pant style. Also his shirt to pants ratio was on point.

Unfortunately tiago blows it by not wearing a long enough shirt to go along with his baggy pants. Does not look good when your pants are big and your shirt is short and wide.
[close]

agree in general, but in Tiago's case I have to evoke the "Creager Clause"

+1 i say tiago gets a pass
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

booty

• Rep: 21
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2018, 02:06:12 PM »
Andy Stone was my mid-90s pants role model. He was the first I remember to move back to the fitting baggy look, which seems to be the current standard. He always looked so clean. Here is an excellent pants part from the era:

Haven't done the research but I think D.C. skaters always dressed well, Stone, Martinez, Igei etc,, Definitely emulated some looks from that Pulaski article in Thrasher from the mid 90s (light denim with green Adidas Campus, college crewneck and an MLB fitted)

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2018, 02:15:42 PM »
I had a small clothing brand during the big pants era, and jeans etc were my specialty. I still make pants from time to time, but my go to khakis are the Old Navy ultimate straight. They always end up on sale at some point and the fit is perfect - can't stand pants that taper so much they don't fit over the top of your shoe.

notcool

« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2018, 03:50:17 PM »
I had a small clothing brand during the big pants era, and jeans etc were my specialty. I still make pants from time to time, but my go to khakis are the Old Navy ultimate straight. They always end up on sale at some point and the fit is perfect - can't stand pants that taper so much they don't fit over the top of your shoe.
i wear slim fit dickies and they aren't baggie enough. how much are the pants at old navy?

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2018, 05:28:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i wear slim fit dickies and they aren't baggie enough. how much are the pants at old navy?

Depends if you're in the US or Canada. They're cheaper to begin with in the US, plus the dollar is worth more. I feel like they also go on bigger sales more often in the US. In Canada the base price is right around $40, but they're almost always at least 20% off. I tend to buy them when they're 50% off or buy one get one free. Amazing fit, plenty of length options, soft stretch twill. Make sure you get the ultimate straight, or the broken in straight. Everything else at Old Navy seems to suck.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 05:30:02 PM by Budgie Lasek »

notcool

« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2018, 05:45:44 PM »
Yeah I've never bought anything at old navy but those pants have piqued my interest

Gasstationgarry

• Rep: 0
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2018, 09:31:42 PM »
Have actually heard amazing things about those pants, they fit somewhat like the vans excerpt chino which were close to my favourite pant of all time
blob:https://imgur.com/99a29482-a4b4-4bd4-935b-d63d9db0e647

SkateChimney

• Rep: -29
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2018, 05:52:09 AM »
Tiago best pants in the game right now for me

didrik galasso, oski, korhn gayle wear these similar kinda pants, hard to describe but theyre cool

I dream of getting my dickies/cargos to swish at the bottom like rowan Zorillas

GET BORN

• Rep: 1
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2018, 06:05:25 AM »
Crockett's pants are still one of the best things to happen to skateboarding in the past three years.

I remain steadily loyal to Ben Davis OG cut pants and the Carhartt B11, Dickies 874 are wack and overhyped even if they are cheap.

Sanka Coffie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2018, 06:14:18 AM »
Tiago best pants in the game right now for me

didrik galasso, oski, korhn gayle wear these similar kinda pants, hard to describe but theyre cool

I dream of getting my dickies/cargos to swish at the bottom like rowan Zorillas

Polar surf pants

emchen

• Rep: 20
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2018, 06:42:30 AM »
Another vote for overalls, this time from Dolan Stearns:

I'm also curious if anyone here ever skated these mythical Zara pants that Kyle Nicholson talks about here:
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2013/10/29/kyle-nicholson-deserves-more-coverage-so-we-interviewed-him/

Personally, I don't understand skating in slim fit AND non-stretch pants. I remember hearing about Corey Duffel buying Levis and sewing them into a skinny fit. How do you bend your knees and jump like that??? Even stretch pants start clinging to my knees with any bit of leg sweat.

Shuh

• Rep: 3
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2018, 06:50:01 AM »
Austin in his former part, liked it so much I went out and bought something similar

Pigeon

« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2018, 07:17:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Depends if you're in the US or Canada. They're cheaper to begin with in the US, plus the dollar is worth more. I feel like they also go on bigger sales more often in the US. In Canada the base price is right around $40, but they're almost always at least 20% off. I tend to buy them when they're 50% off or buy one get one free. Amazing fit, plenty of length options, soft stretch twill. Make sure you get the ultimate straight, or the broken in straight. Everything else at Old Navy seems to suck.
Emerson Chino for $14-20 at Banana Republic clearance racks. They don’t last as long as Carhartt, but they can take a couple slams. Plus, they’re the comfortable, no matter how many times they get washed.

dstrytruitt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2018, 08:20:36 AM »
Gap/Old Navy/Banana Republic khakis are all pretty good; soft and cheap online with a discount code or on a sale/clearance rack.

I generally run shorts and knee pads year round so I don't skate pants much but the Gap and company stuff wears well for me.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2018, 09:01:15 AM »
Gap/Old Navy/Banana Republic khakis are all pretty good; soft and cheap online with a discount code or on a sale/clearance rack.

I generally run shorts and knee pads year round so I don't skate pants much but the Gap and company stuff wears well for me.
Gap/Old navy/ Bananarama pants are all cool if you dont mind crotch blow outs. Cant recommend them one bit for skating. even Levis 501s ripped hella easy. Work pants is a must for skating. Dont wear them to look like a cool 18 DIY builder guy, wear them because everything else gets ripped to shreds easily.

notcool

« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2018, 09:59:32 AM »
I just realized that 95% of skaters at my local park wear dickies.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2018, 12:15:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Gap/Old navy/ Bananarama pants are all cool if you dont mind crotch blow outs. Cant recommend them one bit for skating. even Levis 501s ripped hella easy. Work pants is a must for skating. Dont wear them to look like a cool 18 DIY builder guy, wear them because everything else gets ripped to shreds easily.

Do you possibly have thick thighs? The only people I can think of that I know who rip crotches in pants are a bit on the thick side. I have never blown out a crotch in my entire life - not even when I made a batch of stretch corduroy pants that ended up being very fragile. Other parts ripped, but not the crotch. I'm also a super flexible dude who's legs sometimes practically go over my shoulders when I slam, so my pants get put through the ringer. Still, no ripped crotches. Sounds like there's some other factor resulting in you ripping crotches. In my experience, people who wear pants that are too tight/small for them are the ones who have that issue.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Do you possibly have thick thighs? The only people I can think of that I know who rip crotches in pants are a bit on the thick side. I have never blown out a crotch in my entire life - not even when I made a batch of stretch corduroy pants that ended up being very fragile. Other parts ripped, but not the crotch. I'm also a super flexible dude who's legs sometimes practically go over my shoulders when I slam, so my pants get put through the ringer. Still, no ripped crotches. Sounds like there's some other factor resulting in you ripping crotches. In my experience, people who wear pants that are too tight/small for them are the ones who have that issue.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2018, 12:44:40 PM »
Another vote for overalls, this time from Dolan Stearns:

I'm also curious if anyone here ever skated these mythical Zara pants that Kyle Nicholson talks about here:
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2013/10/29/kyle-nicholson-deserves-more-coverage-so-we-interviewed-him/

Personally, I don't understand skating in slim fit AND non-stretch pants. I remember hearing about Corey Duffel buying Levis and sewing them into a skinny fit. How do you bend your knees and jump like that??? Even stretch pants start clinging to my knees with any bit of leg sweat.

I was a Duffel clone for a long time, spray on jeans were actually easier to skate in than the looser cuts i wear nowadays. there's a point where your women's jeans are so tight that its basically a second skin and you're almost as flexible as you would be if you were naked. They are prone to horrendous crotch blow outs though but I still get those now.. ive never had a pair of jeans/trousers that haven't eroded at the crotch and I do not have thick thighs in the slightest.. super acidic ball sweat to blame?

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2018, 01:05:22 PM »
I feel like Dela is largely responsible for the appearance of workwear Carhart's in the north american game. Europe has been on the carhart tip for awhile, which I like, but the euro ones don't have the same weight to the canvas and hang differently. This is a trend that I think will keep growing, but it's already getting a bit irksome.